Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the Juleps: Tempting!

Communities > Forums > Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the Juleps
bookmark
Forum: Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the JulepsReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6484186

Great article Jill. Makes me want to run out and add it to my growing mint collection. Thanks for the input about the seeds. I probably would have tried that first.

Tonya
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6485602

I've got a "collection" of mints also, but Kentucky Colonel is the one I use most!
MotherDragon
Spring, TX

May 5, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6506350

For some reason, my mint usually dies. However, it's looking hale and hearty this year.

I usually plant KC spearmint, spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, pineapple mint, apple mint, and orange mint. This year I missed the apple and orange mints, but I got a lime mint I can hardly wait to try. It smells wonderful.

My mother would plant spearmint under the room air conditioner. When it threatened to take over the bed and her beloved amaryllis, she'd rip it out. I'd rescue it and plant it under the air conditioner on the other side of the house. When it got too rambunctious there, she'd remove it and I'd replant it behind the garage, where it was happiest. The guy who did the yard complained once that there was something stinky behind the garage. He was mowing a gigantic patch of mint. The bruised and chopped leaves were pretty potent.

It got to be a game between my mom and me. I know she'd leave some plants where I could find and rescue them. When I had my own home, I got some of her mint and planted it beside the garage. It languished, but managed to find its way to a crack between the driveway and the garage. I was delighted, even though the location was far from ideal. My husband doesn't know mint from poison ivy, and seeing something growing in the crack, promptly poured weed killer over it. It died immediately and nothing's ever grown there since.

I've forced my mints to share three big pots with a single basil plant. We'll see who wins.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6506940

The mint will win.. my bet is on the peppermint!

Thanks for sharing about the mints you've grown -- great stories!

:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the Juleps Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Jill... postmandug 2 Apr 30, 2009 10:13 PM
Recipe Sharran 25 May 2, 2009 6:28 AM
Yummy recipes! artemiss 1 Apr 30, 2009 10:10 PM
Mint phicks 2 Apr 30, 2009 10:17 PM
I love that mint also taynors 2 May 1, 2009 1:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America