May 2009 in the Garden

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969831/#top

Still in the rain and drizzle here but it sure is perking up my azaleas that I have been dousing in coffee grounds for the past year, just like my mother taught me and it is finally paying off. Now if it would do the same for the rhodendruns as they still are not in bloom.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here are those wisteria I was braggin bout!

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The above azalea bush a little bit closer

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Phlox, salvia, dicentra and solomon's seal

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And that white azalea almost in full bloom, perhaps another few days.

Thumbnail by haighr
(Zone 5a)

OK, brought my dafs....I think I am over now about 2/3rds of the way done of their bloom. Just got the doubles left and lots of times they do not do to well. They are in good bud, but I am not so sure if they will pop.

I was a bad woman again and got a few annuals.. I will post those at the GPS though since this is in the garden!

Haighr that azalea is stunning. I dont thing I can do them here wiht all this wet. There are a few I woudl love to have.. and also I would love a blue hydrangea and a magnolia.. but I think the bog would kill them. I swear I have at the minimum a half inch of water on just about every inch of this peice of paradise, and then it gets deeper!!

Bring on the May flowers Pilgrims!! RRR! I will have more to post for sure.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
(Zone 5a)

Aquilegea (alias >>> columbine)

(Zone 5a)

Chelone (alias turtlehead..mine is pink when it blooms)

(Zone 5a)

Double white daffs!

(Zone 5a)

Double white daff with yellow streak

(Zone 5a)

Sedum dragons blood

(Zone 5a)

Snowball bush... babies!!!

(Zone 5a)

Varigated hosta, ahillea and that creeping charlie.. well any why, I think that blue weed is Creeping Charlie! ha!

(Zone 5a)

White daff, pale yellow center

(Zone 5a)

white daff greeeeen center

(Zone 5a)

ok, lets try that again!! White daff, ga-reen center...!

(Zone 5a)

White daff, yellow center

(Zone 5a)

Wisteria number 5...

Oh, something on wisterias.. they will not bloom until th plant is at least 7 years old....so if you got a trouble maker, it also might just be immature!

This booger is 10 some od years old, has yet to bloom.. maybe this is its year?! LOL!

(Zone 5a)

Woodland fern of some description.. its the brown thingee!

(Zone 5a)

Love the lamp garden haighr! Those azaleas are fab!

So whats next up guys?!! Im off to the GPS to do some annuals...!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The double white are my favorite blossom, will be over to pick them up !
Thanks for your compliments blossom, most of it takes care of itself. Now remember to go beat that wisteria with a rolled up newspaper. Mine is not quite in full bloom, but almost, if the sun ever shines again, they are now saying the rain will last all the way through next weekend as well, sigh!
I was good this year, not a single annual except for annual seeds and guess what they are popping up. Nasturiums, snapdragons, zinnias, oh, what else was there, my hollyhocks which I have yet to put in the soggy ground and somethin I am forgetting of course. I harvest my own cleome and zinnias and the others I just picked up at Lowes. I even found some zinnia seed left from 2002.
headed to the cabin to turn on the water this weekend, keep fingers crossed no frozen pipes. Tim and Eva may come down if his work gets taken care of in Ohio! See you on the return and have a great weekend.

london England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the link to the new May in the garden thread Candee!
Your wisteria is certainlty somethin' to brag about, gorgeous! Love your birdhouse, everything looks so fresh and
pretty. Have a nice weekend at the cabin....... what time are we leaving? I've got my toothbrush and pj's lets go!!

Watch out with your 'snow balls' Blossom, looking forward to the summer fight LOL!
Beautiful Daffs, daff nee!! Thanks for sharing all your beauties.

(Zone 5a)

LOL! I would probably get turned in for plant abuse if I was seen whipping that poooor wisteria with a newspaper!!

I hear ya one the frozen pipes.. good luck on that. (Mummble mumble on my own!)

I havenot started any seed yet. Plant to do cleomes and zinnias and a few others.. I probably could start anytime now that the frost is a-hem allegedly past.

Be posting the annuals on the GPS thread...

Well, here is an achillea millefolora..white when it does finally bloom.

Christchurch, New Zealand

We are getting closer to winter but had a very odd 'warm snap' & it seems to have confused one of my roses.
this is like a Banksia rose but has a few thorns so can't be one.
It only has one flush of flowers in spring so to a flower on it this morning was quite a shock.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
(Zone 5a)

OMG! Dalfrye that is stunning!

Today I have an ajuga.

(Zone 5a)

daff...

(Zone 5a)

daff....

(Zone 5a)

daff

(Zone 5a)

Ok, the whitishpink freckles inthe grass in the background are springbeauties and the broadleaf in the foreground is a woodland phlox

(Zone 5a)

More spring beauties.. looking down to the bog!

(Zone 5a)

Well as you can tell someof our woodland and prairie flowers inour garden are startingto come on.. here is horey pacun.. I am not sure if that is spelled right, but its the brightest thing going right now!

(Zone 5a)

An oxalis of some description that was in the prairie along with some violets

(Zone 5a)

white violet

(Zone 5a)

This little blue flower. Man it sure was nice to get out and take a look at what was blooming in the woods and on the prairie!

that white violet is sweet.
I have Australian violet, a pinky one & one pale creamy yellow.
trying to propagate that one & the Aussie as they are very nice & not all that common.
the pinky one spreads easily & I have been giving bits away to family & friends.

The pic is not very good but this is the Australian native violet.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
(Zone 5a)

dalfrye, we have a yellow woodland violet. iit is wild. As soon as I see them I will post a pic.! That violet of yours in pink sounds awesome!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

dalfyre what a beautiful rose that is.
blossom not sure what any of those are but they are flowering lovlies at any rate.
Sorry Terri, we left you standing there on the side of the road again, guess we didn't see ya with all the rain when we headed outta town. We shall surely pick you up on another trip and glad you didn't have to come and work this weekend, better to wait until all is up and runnin and then we can give you a lift. Perhaps blossom and dalfrye will want to come one weekend if they have the time. Sue sure enjoyed herself last year, but guess she has gotten really busy this season as we haven't heard much outta her.

the pinky violet is flowering now so I will hunt some out for a pic - it is an attractive colour & not a real pink but not sure how to describe it...
this is one of my favourite roses, Yours Always.
We had -1C this morning, winter is just around the corner.
But we don't get too much colder than that, perhaps down to -5C overnight low & seldom see snow.
A few years back we had a severe cold snap & it went down to -7C & stayed that cold for a while, froze at least a third of water pipes in the city & in rural areas & further south there was deep snow for weeks.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
london England, United Kingdom

Candee, you left me standing by the side of the road? in the rain,!!!!!!! How could you do that, meanie. LoL
Sue says Hi to everyone btw!

Lovely roses Dalfyre, I especially like the purple one. I have buds on my 'Blue Moon' rose, it won't be long now!
Blossom, you're so lucky to have a woodland and prarie to walk in, it must be wonderful to go walking on a nice day.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yep, Terri, didn't mean to but Sh.... happens and there you were waiting cause you reserved the transport too late once again! Now keep in mind when I say we are going to the cabin, we ARE going to the cabin and the train leaves the station. LOL, say hi to Sue for me, miss that gal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.