Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Horticulture Division - The Standard Flower Show: Very interesting! Excellent info, Marie

Communities > Forums > Article: Horticulture Division - The Standard Flower Show
bookmark
Forum: Article: Horticulture Division - The Standard Flower ShowReplies: 13, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6486633

Marie, Thanks so much for writing this article. Information about how to enter Flower Shows is rare here on Dave's (it seems to me) and good information for a gardener to know.

I rarely hear of anyone entering one pn DG and it would be fun to read more about the experiences of those who do enter! Thanks again. t.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #6487108

Dear Marie,
I am just returned from Flower Show School Course 1 in Maine which occurred this week on Tuesday and Wednesday. I enjoyed the experience along with three of my fellow garden club members. I do think our flower shows will be the better for this!
Martha
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6487712

Oh, then, Martha, we want to hear more about the flower shows you take part in! I think that would be interesting!

Our garden club rules require us to bring specimens to each monthly meeting, and I find the 'rules' for display so esoteric. I'm always disqualified for something (it's all done gracefully, though). The idea is for us to 'learn' what makes a good display for a real show. It's a nice way to share what's in our gardens, etc., though.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #6487772

Thanks, gardenmart. I will be teaching Flower Show School in PA next week. It's a different kind of experience, isn't it?

Tobasco, my club does much the same thing. Each member is asked to bring in a design and a horticulture entry once during the year. It makes great educational fodder, and our members learn a lot about displaying in a flower show.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6506495

I think that this is an interesting idea. Each month our club has a hostess assigned to doing the table decorations and arrangements. We could possibly modify this.
We have only had 6 flower shows so far and decided to take the class so that we could iron out procedural difficulties. Our club had not had shows in so long that the flower show book was revised several times between the shows of the past and these last six! I wanted us to conform so that we would be eligible for awards from the GCFM. and NGC. I think we finally got most procedures correct this last time. There were a few glitches from this show revealed at the School, but these were minor. I had the other members attend to help us explain this all to our membership who had only ever entered our club show. Have a great school.
Martha
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6516426

I'm about to enter my first NGC flower show. As a prospective member I will have only one entry and it will be a large rhodendron flower. Do you put any presevative in the water to keep it clear and to keep the flower fresh for the 4 days it will be in the vase?
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6516647

Hi Snapple,

Your rhododendron sould last well in the vase for 4 days. You might want to split the stem with a sharp knife by cutting up from the bottom about a half inch. That helps my woody stems to take up more water and to stay fresh longer. I hope you'll do well in the show, and if you are interested in gardening and flower show work that you will join a garden club near you.

Marie
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6517717

Oh! Thank You so much for the information! My interest came about because as a Master Gardener I received information about the National Garden Club's Landscape Design School. I attended Series 1 in Columbus, Ohio the last week of March this year. ( I must admit that it's not an easy task. But I did pass and will now attend the remaining three sessions.) To receive full certification it's necessary to join a Garden Club. I found a really special group of gals in the Anthonyway Garden Club here in Perrysburg, Ohio and am now "learning the ropes". The first flower show in which I will participate begins May 23rd. That's an awkward time in my garden for fresh flowers as I'm a shade gardener and the only sun patch I have is dedicated to a koi pond and a conifer collection, Japanese style. But I do have some Rhodies that should just be coming into full flower, hence my choice.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6518000

Ask for a copy of the flower show schedule. It will list many possible entries. Conifers can be displayed--as can almost anything else, including cut decorative foliage and cut branches of flowering or foliage trees and shrubs. I'll bet you can find MANY things to enter in your garden.

Congrats on completing Course I of Landscape Design Studies. I got through Course II and it was discontinued. I'll have to go somewhere else to get Courses III and IV.

Something to look forward to, I'm sure.

Best,
Marie

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6519698

They discontinued it? I'm stunned. Does that mean you will have to go out of state for III and IV? Yikes! I sure hope that doesn't happen here. The class was full when I took it but who knows what could happen in the future. Did they give a reason?

I've been looking around the gardens for other stuff and I am stumped. Frankly, I dont want to spoil the symmetry of some things by taking a cutting. I have a lot of dwarf plants that only put out from an 1" to 3" of growth annually. The rhodies are big and full though and a branch or two removed won't be noticed.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6520020

I understand your reluctance to cut your dwarf shrubs. Once you participate in a Standard Flower Show and see all the possibilities, you'll probably think, "Oh, I have that in my garden!" or "Gosh, mine looks better than that."

I saw some beautiful rhodies in PA this week. It was a special treat since I don't frequently see them in the Deep South where I live. I saw lilacs, too, which I had never seen in bloom.

The school was cancelled because of lack of participation. Others have been offered in Florida, but not at a time when I could go. Maybe soon---

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6520132

Since you are 1/2 done it would be a shame to waste that effort. Is each session as intense as the first? Boy, I wanna tell ya - it took a lot out of me. I had to go out of town to take it and stay in a hotel for 3 nights. I was one tired lady. Soak all the information into my head for two days and regurgitate it on the third. I walked out of the exam, got in my car and drove 3 hrs straight home without stopping once.
Am I correct in assuming that each part of the series builds on the previous material? Is reviewing the previous material helpful before attending the next series?

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6525446

Marie,
We should have a Garden Club/Flower Show forum! If there isn't already one.
Massachusetts just finished the landscape course and the flower show school. They won't be having FSS while Maine is running theirs. Maine had over 20 people taking the course for Judge's credit. and about 25 or so, including the 4 of us, just for our own knowledge. We did have to travel a bit, but my hubby works in Maine and commutes every day to a town about 5 miles west of Wells, where the school was held. We all loaded up my van and he drove us to and from the two days of the course.
and, Marie, that's exactly how I got into flower shows! I attended the New England Spring Flower Show in Boston back when we first moved here 26 years ago and I saw a jade plant on exhibit in Amateur Horticulture and said
"My jade plant is better than that one!" and the rest is history! Our members were hesitant at first and our first show was not open to the general public. But once those ladies got those ribbons, well, my goodness, there was no stopping them.
Martha
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6525705

You're right, Martha. Once the bug bites, you're hooked. What a wonderful hobby we have! --and my goodness, it keeps us occupied and challenged for a lifetime! How lucky we are!
Marie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Horticulture Division - The Standard Flower Show Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 0 May 1, 2009 12:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America