-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6487655

Happy May Day! Everyone is welcome to join in!

we came from here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979549/

67.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 60 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.21 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. High 83. South winds 10 mph...becoming southeast late this afternoon.

The 48th Annual Shrimp Festival is here! http://www.shrimpfestival.com

Taken this morning before sunrise

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6487835

Another dull & dreary day here.
Overcast.
Wind calm.
Forecast; sun. (I don't believe them!)
I will be planting today.
Radish, potatoes, cilantro, peas, lily bulbs, gladiolus, any other that might need seeding.
Tomorrow is first day of Farmers Market. I will be taking eggs & Hostas. I need to price & tag the Hostas. we'll see how good of advice I got over the winter. I posted in Hosta forum, asking what people would like if they went Hosta shopping. Lots of answers, & I based my orders on their choices.

Weird thing on our local news.
A 75 foot tall White Pine tree that stood in the medium of a freeway in Northern Minnesota, called the "Honking Tree", was cut down & left lay by vandals.
Everyone that drove by would honk, so it was named the honking tree.
How sad this country is coming to, that someone would cut the tree down. It was probably 100 years old. There definitely is not enough discipline in this country any longer.
Yesterday someone managed to shut down 3 buildings at the U of MN, by sending a note that someone was going to be shooting a gun at 6 PM.
Too many lawyers with to much time, figuring out how to call all these nuts innocent.

Well off my soap box & back to start the day!
Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6488050

Good morning!

It's calm, intermittent heavy rain showers, but pretty nice in between, even a few rays now and then. Yesterday afternoon the sun came out and we enjoyed gorgeous calm weather for the rest of the day! Which was so wonderful after all the nasty wind for the past days. Even went back outside after dinner. It's currently 50F. This past April was the 5th warmest in history, well since they started keeping records at least ... Hope May will be warm as well, I'd hate to get a frosty spell now that everything is turning green!

Sharon - very pretty. You were up before sunrise this morning???? How early is that? I'd have to get up before 5 am to beat the sun, sunrise was at 4:58 this morning ;-) Sunset will be at 9:51.

Adina - your lawn will be all green before you know it! lol :-) It's coming along very nicely. Yeah I'm pretty content with the outcome ... the negotiations are ongoing so the new government coalition hasn't been formed (same parties that are currently in power) ... could be another week of negotiations... which I think is a bit long. When they've sealed the deal we'll know more ...

EB - wow that's a gorgeous photo :-) So peaceful!

Ric - gorgeous Clematis

Bernie - so sorry to hear about the tree. What a shame. Too many messed up people around unfortunately.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6488674

thanks for the new thread, Sharon. Lovely blossoms in that photo!
Happy May Day, everyone. This would have been my father's 102nd, birthday--he was born on this day in 1907. I was born when he was 34--you do the math. LOL
Celia: you've joined the ranks of the rest of us grandparents! and you do have two little cuties to brag about!
Adina: Hang in there--you'll have a nice grass lawn to mow before you know it!
Bernie: I'm in complete agreement with you about not enough discipline!
Hope you do well with the hostas, etc. at the Farmers Market on Saturday!
Ric; at least your hanging baskets are high and dry!
Rann: glad youhad a calm afternoon yesterday.

We had more showers last night and we are waterlogged. Some people in the low-lying areas of our little city had water inside their houses. Again, I'm glad I'm on a hill but the rain has really beat down all the plants and blooms. We need several days of sunshine!

Currently 73 heading for a high in the low 80's.

Sharon: The Shrimp Festival sounds fun! This is the week-end for the annual "Toad Suck Daze" festival in Conway (about 30 miles from here). They are expecting about 150,000 (Yes, you read that right) to attend the 3 day event. I'm staying away--been there, done that already! and don't ask about the name-- I think I posted a link about it last year. LOL
I forgot to tell y'all that I am attending the Central Ark. RU in Little Rock this week-end. Should be fun, even if it does rain. The lady who is hosting it has a big lovely house and a covered patio (and a big garage for us to put all our plants in) so she can handle the crowd in spite of the weather. :o))
Y'all have a good week-end and everyone stay dry!

No current photos--everything is too wet.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6488939

Shrimp Festival!?!? Darrell would be envious as heck! LOL I don't think I'll tell him...

Mau, I remember the Toad Suck event from last year. Waaaaay too many people for me.

Bernie, sorry to hear about the tree. So many people have no respect for anything.

On the lighter side of things, my DB in OR sent me a news clip about a fish that hit power lines in Salem, OR. A 14" fish, likely dropped by an osprey, hit the lines and put power out for awhile. In the story, the fish, as in any good fish story, went from 14" to 15" to 16" by the end of the day.

49.6 F hopefully reaching 63. Rainy.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 46 F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 7.9 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 10.3 mph
Pressure: 30.17 in (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Flax flowers.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6489159

That's a hilarious fish story, Celia!! LOLOL! I hope you're having a great time with your goddaughters. :-)

We're doing fine, Adina! The water is down in most of the city. I did drive on a road over a reservoir that a lot of the bayous coming into town from the west drain into, and the water there is right up to the bridge - a good 15-20 feet higher than usual. I'm sure they'll be releasing that water s-l-o-w-l-y as the water in the rest of the city subsides and can handle it.

Today is partly cloudy and warm. The mosquitoes will be out in full force this weekend - just in time for the Mom-and-Daughter Pioneer Girls camp out. The big bunny and I are leaving in the morning. Except for the crummy bunk beds we sleep in, it should be a lot of fun! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CDT (12 min ago)
Temperature 81 F 27 C
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 69%
Pressure 30.06 in 1018 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH 11 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Ceiling 3900 ft 1189 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 85 F 29 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. A few morning sprinkles. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6489253

The sun came out about 10 AM. Still a cool NW wind though.

Ground is working up nicely.
Planting is going good.
Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6489281

I should have said the girls are coming on Saturday. My days are all messed up! Arrrrgh!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6490103

typical fish story, Celia! enjoy your day with the girls tomorrow!
Marylyn: you and the big bunny have a good time on your camp-out! Hope you have lots of mosquito spray!
Bernie: glad your planting is going well.

The riding mower was delivered today but I haven't used it yet--too wet. I may have to wait until Monday as I will be gone tomorrow to the RU and on Sunday afternoon to my DGD's band concert. That will give the weeds time to get even taller! LOL I got the walk-behind mower out and mowed some of the worst areas but it quit on me and I couldn't get it started again. I managed to get my plants and things divided, labeled and loaded up for the RU. All I have to do is drop Friday off at my DIL's house in the morning and be on my way!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6490273

You have fun at the RU!!!

Here was our grass in the back yesterday.

Edited to say...those blocks are 6 tall.

This message was edited May 1, 2009 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6490287

Thanks, Cuckoo, but I don't think that I have any more of a green thumb than anyone else. Give the climate and the plants the credit.

Marylyn, did you get your leaky roof fixed? That has got to be a pain.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 01, 2009
78 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: 4 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.96 in (Falling)
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 23000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6490326

No, I don't think my dh has called yet. We just keep a big cooler right there under the skylight. Hopefully he will call next week.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6490574

Yuck! I think the worst thing is how it stains the ceiling. I've not had the problem, but if I ever do, it will really mess things up. The ceilings are done in what people call "cottage cheese" or "popcorn" and are off-white with little sparkles in it. In repainting, you'd never get the color matched just right and you'd cover the sparkles. I don't know if this is the original ceiling from when the house was built or not. I would not be surprised if it has asbestos in it. I tell DH that we need to keep an eye on the house roof (It's over 25 years old) and replace it before the roof starts to leak, but he seems content to let it go until it does leak. No! No! No! BTW, Brad Ausmus is hitting over .400.

"Lady Friend", I think

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6490608

This is a picture from last year but they look the same this year. These came with the house, which means that they are a variety that has been around for a long time. Someone on the amaryllis forum said that they are called Meade's Strain, an old variety that comes true from seed.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6490615

"Shaft of Gold"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6490649

Quoting:Brad Ausmus is hitting over .400.

LOL That figures!! I hope he does a great job for you, actually. :-) Those amaryllis are beautiful!! We replaced our roof last year, and we were hoping it would take care of the skylight trouble, but it didn't. It's been getting worse and worse this spring, so we need to get it taken care of really soon.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6490914

Kelli, those amaryllis are gorgeous!! Would you be interested in trading seeds?
Dmail me, please.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6490978

marsue, we will expect many pictures of the RU.

As long as we are talking hitting, Joe Mauer came back from an injury. First at bat tonight & for the season, over the left field wall for a home run!

We are all ready for the market tomorrow. Lots of eggs & plants.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6491150

Spring is here and the annual Apple Blossom Parade is tomorrow going through Saint Joe., Missouri. My fruit trees are blooming and the grass seems to be growing way to fast for me to keep up with let alone trying to garden. I actually love it though!

Marsue you have a great time at your Roundup and hope you get some neat plants.

Bernie can't imagine the white pine being cut down let alone imagine what was going on in those who would do something like that. Oh brother...

Henryr10 I too am getting awfully tired of this excess rain we've had here too. It cramps my style!!

"Shaft of Gold" Kelli is so pretty and those ruffly edges...their cool!

Weather in N.W. Mo. is mostly cloudy, a little cool(54 degrees) this evening, but pretty nice as long as the rain stays away so things can dry up some. It has too, there's a parade tomorrow!
Cuckoo

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6491477

Well, we were cold this rmorning with some sprinkles but late afternoon the sun came out for a couple hours and warmed us up a bit. Cheered us up alot too!!

Good news is I got my truck back today!! Now I just have to get used to sensitve brakes and not so sensitive gas petal again. Opposite of my dad's truck. I stopped at a stop sign on the way home, hit the brakes a bit too hard and jerked to a stop. I had to relearn how to drive my truck again. LOL.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #6492096

Good morning!

We had to get up at 7:30 this morning since the girls had to be at ballet practice at 8:30. They have a show at 3 pm today ... the spring show in their ballet school. This year it's Peter Pan. Selma's one of the lost boys and Hildur Eva a flower. This is her first show so she's a bit excited and very nervous to be dancing in a big theater for the first time! lol

Another busy, busy Saturday ahead!

The wind picked up again last night, still a bit breezy this morning and currently 43F. Partly cloudy and rain in the forecast for today.

marsue - hope you have a great day at the RU!

Pepper - glad you finally got your truck back! :-)

Kelli - wow those irises and amaryllis are gorgeous! I especially like the deep red amaryllis and the color on the Lady Friend iris is amazing!

Cuckoo - hope you get good weather for the parade today!

Look what's flowering now for the first time! I'm so excited - last year the buds got ruined by frost.

Have a GREAT day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6492425

Well our big gear division at work is about bulletproof w/ the Gov. contracts.
But Chrysler going down took a big bite out of our HVO (High Volume Ops) group.
So a bunch of their people are furloughed or moved.
Two of the machinists they can't lose got moved to our division.
And so I got furloughed... 30-60 days...
my job is secure based on Chrysler's Jeep division starting back up.
As it's the only division they had making money it's predicted they will be down about 45 days tops.
So I get a gardening vacation.
The deal is I go on the big UN PLUS Insurance paid (thru June at least) plus 25% of what the UN doesn't pay.

So all in all not a bad deal!
In fact three people actually asked to be furloughed LOL!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6492604

Ric, a furlough is better than a lay-off or a letting go. (Or is a furlough the same as a lay-off?) So sorry this is happening. It's an unfortunate part of our economy these days.

Rann, I love your hellebore. The girls are lovely and I'll bet Hildur Eva will be the prettiest flower there.

Pepper, I'm sorry but I laughed when I read about you and your brakes. LOL

Rain, rain, rain today with a hgih of 59. Still better than snow.

The girls called me a little bit ago and they are on the road. Melody, the little one, is not coming. She isn't feeling well and they thought it best. I talked to her on the phone and she says "hello" to you all!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6492696

Lay-offs were last week. They won't be coming back.
Supposedly my job is secure... it was the Chrysler Bankruptcy that got me.
The Powers that Be didn't think that would go thru...

Off to Dayton hopefully for the last time.
Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6494252

Ric, I didn't understand the terminology. Are you getting full salary or part salary?

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 02, 2009
70 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 9 mph from the South
Pressure: 30.04 in (Steady)
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 4300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

hiking pictures - sugar bush

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6494255

Spanish broom

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6494262

golden yarrow - These signal the end of spring to me.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6494266

Chinese houses

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6494285

It looks like the pond will dry up this year.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6494898

Mostly sunny til late afternoon and we reached a high of 62. Very busy in the greenhouse today. I had people coming back buying more plants and had lots of new people too. I couldn't hardly keep up with my work today.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6494954

Kelli: send that pond to Arkansas--it will be overfloweing in no time! We are waterlogged here! It rained all day and I'm not kidding but it didn't damper our RU--we went right on with it in spite of the weather! I didn't take all that many pictures--was too busy taking part in the plant swap, not to mention enjoying all the food! You can view the few pictures I took by clicking on this link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/RUAtDebraS?authkey=Gv1sRgCNKU_5bzvqvC_QE#

Bernie: hope you had a successful day at the Farmer's Market today.
Pepper: Hooray, you got your truck back!
Rann: I know that Hildur Eva made a lovely flower and that Selma was very good in her part, too, although she is too pretty to play the part of a boy! Hooray for your hellebore bloom!
Ric: Should we be glad for you or sad? If you are getting paid through all this, then we will definitely be glad!
Kelli: those wildflowers are lovely but they have some unusual names! LOL

Rain, rain, and more rain here. Currently 56 and light rain.

I took this photo yesterday in between showers. This is a peony--Sorbet, by name.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6494965

This is a bloom on my climbing rose, Golden Showers. It's a good thing I took this picture yesterday because none of the flower around here look very "golden" today --they are all very forlorn looking after all the rain. It could be worse, at least my house is not flooding nor is the roof leaking.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6494995

Great day at the Farmers Market. Manager did a promotion & got lots of vendors to come. Weather was beautiful, a little cool, but sunny. Windy later.
We sold 59 dozen eggs, 13 potted Hostas & 73 tomato plants. The best 1st day ever for us.
All daylily lovers would have had fun. A new vendor had dozens of varieties there, freshly dug out of her field. Nice big fans at reasonable prices. Another new vendor was selling Maple Syrup. Lots of baked goods, canned items & jellies. One bedding plant vendor with lots of nice things.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6494997

Bernie, you have me wishing I was up there today. LOL.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6495384

Mau, I have that peony but this is it's 1st year so it probably won't have flowers.

Nice job Bernie!

Very lovely, Kelli.

It rained most of the day and, just before the sun went down, it stopped.

I had a great day with Crystal and Kassie! We went to breakfast then went shopping. Crysatl got her this Cat In The Hat. Kassie said the tag was hurting him and wanted to know if she could take it off him. I said yes and before I could get the scissors, she pulled it off herself. It made a big hole in Cat's arm. She was very upset but Crystal told her I used to be a nurse (really a medical asst.) and could help him. We got the hole sutured and a band-aid put on the wound and things were better again!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6495396

She really liked Iris and I think Isis liked her.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6495582

Kelli great shots again!
Looks like this has been a banner year!

Celia looks like a Grand Time!

Mau don't you LOVE the RU's!
I'm off to see your pictures next.

Bernie! Congrats!

Rann I've really taken to the Hellebores. Nice one!

Sorry I was a bit unclear.
Unemployment kicks in immediately.
They pay 65% of Gross Pay... the Company will pay 25% of the 35% difference and my Insurance.
So I'll get about 85% of my normal check.
So a slight hit but I can easily make that up in not driving to work (gas), odd jobs and selling plants.
I plan to finally sharpen my typing skills while I'm off and get a bunch done around here.

I am getting back on the job hunt trail too.
This place is OK but I lucked into the job. It's not one I'd have picked if I had my choice.
I'm going to start hitting the plant farms and nurseries.
I'm a great saleman and know the product.
In fact I've been thinking hard about getting back into the Restaurant Supply line again lately.
Maybe IKEA? Best of both worlds...

We just got back from Dayton at about 10 PM.
All the major stuff on the remodel is done now.
Just some sanding, painting and a few minor repairs to do.
Good thing as tempers are running hot.
Her Family gets along OK if they see each other a few times a year.
10 or so weekends... not so OK... LOL!

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6495596

Mau that looks exactly like the first ORVG RU a few years ago.
Held at tobasco's house because of a rain out it was a blast.
In fact that house is so VERY similiar I was looking for t !

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6495865

I just went through the pics of the RU! It looks like fun was had regardless of the weather! LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2009
8:05 AM

Post #6496032

Dark, 64, Clear.

I finished a quick, inexpensive project yesterday that I have been trying to get to for some time.

For some time I have been unsatisfied with storing the pots and pans in the cabinets because of the damage to the "non stick" surfaces. This is the solution.

Thumbnail by Dyson

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 3, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #6496119

Mau, thanks for the pics, it was a surprise to see Debra, your host! I haven't heard from her lately.
Ric, it's great you have a paid vacation!
Dyson, great idea, I'd need one of those too!
Bernie, congrats for the selling!
Celia, sounds you had such fun! The little girl is so sweet!
Rann, that's a good news about the ballet! Also, about the elections! I hope they organize quickly.
Kelli, the amaryllis and the wild flowers are so beautiful! The Chinese houses seem like lots of little orchids!
It's been raining cats and dogs here yesterday, lots of dark clouds, but it wasn't too chilly.
Do you think this is a bleeding heart plant? I got it from a friend and she doesn't know the name.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6496159

Simply WX -

Thumbnail by Dyson

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6496239

Good morning!

It looks like a fine day this morning looking out the window at least, I haven't been outside yet. Partly cloudy, seems fairly calm and 50F.

The dance show yesterday was great ... it wasn't all ballet since the school also teaches jazz and hiphop, the pirates for instance were one of the hiphop classes ;-) We had a great time and so did the girls :-)

Mau - wow that paeonie is gorgeous! Looks like you had a great time at the RU! Did you bring home any plants?

Bernie - wow are those your hostas? Wish I'd been there! LOL Sounds like the market was a great success! :-)

Dyson - Nice! Great idea!

Celia - Kassie's so cute! Glad you could mend the cat in the hat :-)

Ric - thanks! Hope everyting works out well for you! At least you'll be getting some extra time in the garden :-)

Here's Hildur Eva as a flower in yesterday's show.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #6496251

And Selma as one of the lost boys :-)

The movie Peter Pan was on TV last night - kind of a funny coincidence ...lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6496261

This is my current project in the garden - we ripped out the rest of the original Salix hedge which I'm planning to replace with flowering shrubs instead. I started about 2 or 3 years ago gradually replacing parts of the hedge with bushes that were big enough. I kept the hedge while the bushes that were meant to replace it were growing bigger ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6497058

I've been lurking. Had so much to do yesterday. I finally finished the table. Here is a before pic

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6497064

It turned out really pretty - kind of Pottery Barn'ish.The new and improved version

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6497071

I found these candle at Tuesday Morning. Seem to be just the right touch. Now I have to find a table setting, etc... LOL! Never ends!

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6499408

Sunny and pretty decent today.

One of my fingers feels like it's out so gotta quit typing. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6499717

Cold and dreary. 70 by midweek.

Pepper, stop doing that! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6499793

LOL!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6500930

Good Morning! I had a busy busy weekend. Glad the Shrimp Fest is over. I left the island Saturday afternoon for a quick trip to Target. Bad bad bad mistake. I forgot about all the people coming to the island for Shrimp Fest. It took me 2 hours to drive 5 miles.

It was a hot weekend. We hit 88-90*. We had a 20 minute rian shower Saturday evening from the heat.

67.8 F
Clear
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 58 F
Pressure: 30.01 in(Steady)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s inland... in the mid 80s coast. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6502014

Partly cloudy and 64 .
We're filling the Hummer Feeders.

Well I just got a call from my neighbor Jon.
(He's the one who hooked me up w/ the job interview at CST.)
He mentioned to the VP that we were due for Forklift Operator Certification.
So rather than wait to be called back and then have to get me
Recert'd, which means they'd need to do a special class,
they want me to come in w/ everyone else.
My time no pay but...
So it appears they are serious about wanting me back.
Plus w/ the cert I can use that as a serious point if looking for a new job...
lol

Ric

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6502097

Bernie: sounds like your first day at the Farmers Market was a big success! Congratulations!
Celia: Kassie has beautiful blue eyes! It's a good thing you were able to "fix" the Cat's arm! LOL
Ric: Some people would be speaking gloom and doom over themselves if they were in your situation. I'm glad you have a positive outlook about it. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers! Glad you enjoyed my photos of our RU. I wish Tobasco had been there--I'd like to meet her in person. I've seen photos of the exterior of her house and gardens--she has a gorgeous place!
Dyson: good solution for the pots and pans!
Adina: Debra's daughter got married about a month ago which is probably the reason you didn't see her posting much! LOL
Rann: the girls were lovely, as usual, in their dance presentation! glad you liked the peony. Yes, I brought home plants from the RU (to take to my daughter's house)--probably more than I took! LOL Your garden is really shaping up--our gardens are always a work inprogress, aren't they?
Sharon: good work on the table! I have a chair that needs painting if you want to come up here and do that for me! LOL I wonder if Kiska could make flower candles like that? Those are pretty!

Pepper: hope that finger is okay. You've had enough things in the "shop" lately!

Overcast and dreary looking right now. :o(( The weather people are promising sunshine for this afternoon but "it" is going to have to hurry if it is going to make it when they say it is! Currently 60

Here are 3 reasons why I was busy yesterday afternoon! LOL

This message was edited May 4, 2009 10:05 AM

This message was edited May 4, 2009 10:06 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6502246

Running to the nursery again today. Always need something else, don't we?

52.2 F with 65 for the high. Partly cloudy today with rain expected this evening.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 3.3 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph
Pressure: 30.10 in (Steady)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 5500 ft
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6503936

57*F~ breezy; a bit cloudy.
Sunrise: 5:35
Sunset: 10:13 gain of 5m37sec.
The past 4-5 days have been better than all of last summer.
The ice on the Tanana river went out on Friday evening. The $283,+++ jackpot will be shared by two winning guesses.

It was in the upper 60's, blue sky and sunshine, and did that ever bring on the new growth. With those temps, and sunshine for hours and hours, the leaves have opened. Such a pretty lime green and a beautiful sight.
I've become so far behind but have read and enjoyed the photos and news. Ric, hope the cert. will help when time comes for job-hunting.
rann~the girls are so cute; and, to have seen them as they are growing, has been wonderful.
marsue~pretty cute family there. Good luck with new mower when it dries up a bit.
CG~wonderful beginning to the season, very nice.
MySharona~ the before and after are great; the table/accessories are beautiful.
Kelli~very pretty flowers; spring is ending there, and in it's early stages here; great time to come up for another look at spring:))
Hello to all~
May 2nd at a nearby pond.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6503946

Day after the pond photo. The leaves have opened, May 4th.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6503986

Kiska, your trees are on about the same pace as our mimosa tree. It's always well into May before it is completely leafed out.

DH was supposed to go on a business trip to Mexico this week but it was postponed because all of the businesses are shut down down there.

It feels hotter than this. It must be the humidity. (Just kidding.)

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 04, 2009
80 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.94 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 80 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

"Indian Chief" and "Best Bet". "Best Bet" has been a super rebloomer for me. Sometimes it blooms three times a year. "Indian Chief", or whatever it is, came with the house. It has been a super multiplier. It is no exaggeration to say that I have given away or sold hundreds of them.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6503989

red hot poker

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 4, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6503993

rocket larkspur

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6504446

Quoting:It feels hotter than this. It must be the humidity. (Just kidding.)

*snort*

The big bunny and I had a great time camping this weekend. There was a severe thunderstorm with torrential rain Saturday night, but it was all over by the time we got up and traipsed down the path to the dining hall, so other than muddy shoes and a few sore muscles (mine... I slipped on a slick bridge. Twice. Grace is NOT my middle name!! LOL), it didn't affect us much. :-)

The daylilies and black-eyed Susans are up and blooming. I need to start thinking about what to plant in the front beds when the pansies, alyssum, and snapdragons realize it's really hot out there and quit blooming.

I don't have time to comment on everything, unfortunately, but I've been enjoying all of your photos and posts!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (34 min ago)
Temperature 84 F 29 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 60%
Pressure 29.87 in 1011.4 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir S 180
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 88 F 31 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 63.0F / 17.2C

Tonight Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tuesday night Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6504786

70s but it was a bit muggy. Sun shone most of the day and I had to water my outside plants at work twice. LOL. I wasn't too happy with those plants.

Today has been a crazy day. After work I had to go into town real quick. Well, just after I got done and was just outside of town a 911 call was made about a shooting going on at a gas station that I had just passed. My brother had also been in front of the gas station just before the call went in. Very close call for both of us. http://www.kctv5.com/news/19365515/detail.html
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6504803

Kelli those are gorgeous!
You post so many natives I forgot about your yard plants.
Nicely grown!

Kiska your place is exploding!
How many hours of daylight now?
We're right at 14.
Temps made it to 74.

Thanks everyone for your support.
I've never been a negative person.
Why worry that doesn't do anything but slow you down.
Better to explore options and be proactive.
I got a call this morning telling me to come in Thurs at noon for Forklift Class.
So that's encouraging.

I need to get back to work... for a rest.
20+ hours of Dayton rehab this weekend.
Today we cleaned out the compost bins and moved the stuff to it's new home.
Then we went w/ our neighbor and picked up 8 sheets of drywall for our sewing room
(and 2 sheets of OSB and 36 studs for him)

Our county sold Compost Bins (Earth Machine) at 65% off and no tax.
Normally we use just wire bins but...lol!
BTW We got 80 gallons of sifted compost from just two of our smaller bins.
Here's the new bins, turner and kitchen bin.
The trash cans show the size scale.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6505029

and now here is our unofficial weather report(very unofficial):
"A very bright yellow orb appeared in the sky over portions of Arkansas for a very brief period this afternoon. Those who were privileged to see it were amazed and nearly blinded by such a sight! Unfortunately, it was soon obscured by those threatening-looking, dark gray clouds which seem to hold an amazing amount of water and insist on ridding themselves of it right over our once-fair state! We have returned to what has become our normal routine of wearing water-proof shoes and carrying enormous umbrellas!"

P.S. I got the yard mowed with the new riding mower during that very brief dry period today! A major milestone for a 67 year old woman who has never been on a riding mower in her entire life!! There are ruts in the yard but the weeds have been dispensed to weed heaven---temporarily! It no longer looks like a jungle out there!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6505055

LOL That's great, Mau! It sounds like the Hippy-Dippy Weather Man.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6505061

LOL!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6506185

Ric Were keeping you in our prayers. Things will work out keep the faith!
Mau I cant believe I didnt totally mess up the painting. Its not something Im usually very good at just ask Jeff LOL! 3 beautiful girls!
Celia- While youre at the nursery will you pick me up another azalea?! LOL! Yes, it does seem that way!
Kiska Looks like Summer is in your back yard! Isnt amazing the difference 1 day makes?
Kelli LOL! Im with Marylyn snort! Everyone (including WX) is complaining about the humidity here. Beautiful blooms!
Marylyn You sound like me! Ive always got a bruise going somewhere.
Pepper Wow that was close! So glad you didnt stop at the gas station.
Mau A WX guy with a sense of humor! Sounds like something I would say!
Ric Im having issues getting your moss. The trees are all so tall here I cant get to much of it. One person complained when I was at the park picking some up. I told her I going to put it back up in the tree LOL! I have a bag so far. Still working on it though.

70.2 F
Overcast
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 61 F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 F
Clouds: Overcast 8000 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 85. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

The chance of rain is brought on the heat and humidity. Hit 90 yesterday at JIA.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6506253

Rain overnight. (once a week rain all summer & we'll be in heaven!)

Finished more of the door hanging job yesterday. It was a cut to fit, because floors were so crooked. We used original doors & jambs. We had to remake most of them. Also the framer didn't make the rough opening wide enough.

This morning might be a lazy day. I have Farmers Market this afternoon.

Have a Great Day!
Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #6506454

Windy and rainy yesterday and started out that way this morning as well. At the moment a few rays of that yellow orb Mau mentioned are peeking through the clouds. Still quite breezy. My thermometer says 52F which I seriously doubt, the wx says 40F. With that stiff breeze it feels really cold outside.

Kelli - more gorgeous photos! :-)

Kiska - wow summer sure came in a hurry there didn't it?! lol Enjoy it while it lasts! Hopefully it's a sign of a good summer ahead - you deserve it after last years wet and cold summer! The trees are starting to leaf out here as well, but not quite that fast! lol

Mau - Yeah! for you :-) Glad you figured out how to work the mower :-)

Marylyn - glad you survived the campout! It's a good thing you weren't sleeping in tents! lol

Sharon - I can't remember if I commented earlier on your table, if I didn't it looks GREAT! Fantastic job! :-)

Have a great day!

Rann

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 5, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6507064

35*F mostly sunny; (6:45am); highs to 50's low 60's.
Length of visible light: 18 hours, 48 minutes.
Sunrise: 5:35
Sunset: 10:15 gain of 5m:35s
Way to go, Marsue~did you enjoy the mowing?
ric~looks great; nice sale to luck into.
pepper~that was too close; so glad you/brother are ok.
kelli~the iris are certainly prolific; nice that you've able to pass them along, too. Mimosa~is that the tree with such beautiful pink blossoms? Seems that's what I recall. Very pretty.
marylyn~glad you, too, are ok. Falls can be so nasty to recover from. What have you decided to plant?
rann~yes, the past week of 60's w/no clouds, and long light, really brought the green out quickly. It's also one of the earliest for the trees to leaf out.
MySharona~would not have been a fun drive with so much traffic from the Shrimp festival; sounds like it was quite successful.
CG~never a dull moment is there? Nice to be so skilled and creative in so many areas.
10 PM~ (last May 13, looked same last night)>

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6507090

Ric, keeping you in my thoughts, too. Nice composters. All this good karma coming your way should help. _

Sharon, I didn't go to the nursery. One of Darrell's sisters had vertebra surgery earlier in the week and was having issues with the meds. they gave her. We had to go get a different prescrip. for her. That took a few hours and by then, they were closed. I'm going to try again today. What color are you looking for?

Marylyn, so glad you and the big bunny had a good time camping.

56.8 F with 70 for our high. 40% chance of more rain today. If this keeps up, I won't have to water all summer.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 39 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Elderberry 'Black Lace' has flowers forming.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6507691

Never could get Black Lace to do well here.
Good Luck!

I got a call yesterday.
Thursday noon I need to go back in and get recertified on the Forklifts.
Can't see them wasting their time and money if I weren't coming back.

Sunny 70's and we're gardening.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6507845

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6507904

Steady rain. In a few months I will be praying for a sprinkling but I can not get my precious vegetable plants into the ground.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 5, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6508668

It's been a lovely day, but we had a shower at noon. Lovely sunrise this morning.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6509027

There was a snake out on the porch earlier today. That is a good thing. I think it was a red coachwhip. It looked like a snake with sunburn. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_fauna_com-Reptile&enlarge=0000 0000 0808 1636

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 05, 2009
81 F
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 12 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 80 F
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

some red, white, and green for Cinco de Mayo

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6510034

Sunny, breezy in afternoon, and perfect temp wise.

I ended up working an extra hour today to get more done. We had 10 cart loads of plants come in and I had no idea that we had a shipment coming today, much less one that big. I was expecting a small one Thursday or Friday. Took about an hour or so for 3 of us to unload it all and find places to put them. My floral manager wasn't too happy and neither was I! lol. I was supposed to be inside helping unload their inside plants shipment today but someone else helped with that so I could get my plants taken care of. A very crazy and maddening day. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6510111

About par, though, isn't it, Pepper?

Adina and Kiska, your sky shots are wonderful!

Sunny and beautiful.

My 1st ever Dutch Iris opened today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6510215

Ric: I'm jealous of your new compost bins but what is that er-uh "whatchamacallit" inside! LOLOL!!!
Sharon: thanks for the compliment on my 3 beautiful "girls" but the one in the orange shirt is actually a beautiful boy! LOL (I won't tell him that you thought he was a girl!!) He does need a haircut but he is a very handsome little boy, thank you. Also, that weather "guy" was me--another LOL! Beautiful orchids, BTW, and the ajuga is on its way to you! :o))
Rann: can't say that I actually enjoy mowing but having finished the job always offers a good deal of satisfaction. One more thing to check off my list of "to-do's"---at least until next week! LOL
Dyson: it's raining again here, too. :o(( You are correct in that we will be praying for rain in a few months but not right now, please!
Kiska: another lovely photo. Your days are really getting long!
Adina: beautiful sunrise! I actually saw the sunrise this morning, for a change!
Kelli: why is a snake on the porch a good thing? More gorgeous amaryllis, too!
Pepper: hope you got paid overtime for that extra hour!
Celia: lovely Dutch Iris! Hope Darrell's sister is doing okay after her surgery.

Currently Dyson dark with rain and 64.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6510236

Kelli what a beautiful snake!
And those Amaryllis... WOW!

Adina that's the best sunset I've seen in a while.

Celia Congrats! It's a beauty.

We had a lovely gardening day.
Mostly Sunny... low 70's... my head is burnt... lol!
63 here now and it appears some rain is moving in overnight.
Last night about 10PM we went out to the Hot Tub.
A light misting rain started... we just put on our boonie gardening hats and sat back.
Hot Tub, Wine, Misty Rain and a bottle of Wine... it was like being in Frisco!

Here's a native plant we just let do it's thing here every year.
Hydrophyllum appendiculatum

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6510251

Our Dwarf Siberian Iris are giving a show.

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6510304

Kiska, yes, mimosa tree is the one with pink flowers.

Marsue, a snake on the porch is a good thing because it isn't a bad thing.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6510316

No overtime for me. lol. I'm just part time.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6510357

Clematis everywhere... love these little ramblers

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6510394

Deep Purple Columbines from last year's RU

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6510529

I have 4 kinds of clematis in my yard right now. LOL.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6510705

Adina, beautiful shot. There is an old saying, "Red sky in morning, sailors warning". So your rain was bound to come!

Market was slow today, but not bad for so early in the season.

We will be starting on a 3 seasons porch for some friends tomorrow. He gave me a nice greenhouse frame as partial payment of the labor. I love to barter!

My MIL bought my DW a Clematis today, said it was for Mothers Day. It's a light blue. It will go on the arbor I built last summer.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6511337

Bernie Do you get rain all summer? How did the farmers market go?
Rann- Thanks! I love my new breakfast nook!
Kiska Beautiful picture! Ive said it before and Ill probably say a million times more I love the view from your deck!
Celia - How is your SIL? So thats Elderberry, its very pretty!
Ric Good news! That is the cutest picture LOL!
Dyson I hear you. Seems like the drought has begun here.
Adina Beautiful sunrise!
Kelli That snake pretty! Is it garden friendly?
Celia Dutch Iris was my Moms favorite along with glads.
Mau Oops! Thanks for sending the ajuga. Ill let you know when it arrives.
Ric Your garden is really starting to pop! Looks good!
Bernie Thats a great picture! Is that your family? I love the kitty in the background too LOL! What is a 3 seasons porch?

71.2 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 62 F
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles

Today
Partly cloudy. A 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 85. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

We keep getting chances of rain, but it never makes it across the intracoastal waterway. The mainland is getting it all. Also, we've been hotter than the forecasted highs, around 88-89. JIA hit 91 yesterday. Summer seems to arriving earlier each year.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
10:23 AM

Post #6511356

Good morning!

It's sunny and fairly calm this morning (FINALLY!) but very cool, around 40F. More rain and wind forecast for tomorrow so I'll be spending a lot of time outside today! lol

Sharon - Yikes it's getting hot down there.
Celia - beautiful iris. My Black Lace elder died back to ground level, but it's alive! I don't think I'll be getting any flowers though ... please post a photo when they open! :-)
Kelli - more gorgeous amaryllis! Nice looking snake as well ... glad it's a "good" kind ;-)
Ric - wow you have a lot of blooms popping! Very pretty :-) Love the Clematis
Bernie - nice family photo :-)
Adina - beautiful sunset
Pepper - wow another busy busy day!

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6511425

That "family" is the Dave's Garden members at our house in September last year for Southern MN Round Up.

Yes, we get rain all summer. Gets a little scarce in late July, early August, some years. Old timers here say there has never been a crop failure due to no rain. We do irrigate some of our veggies because they need a more steady supply of water.

A 3 seasons porch is one that isn't heated in winter time.

53 this morning. Clear sky. Another great day!
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6511838

Bernie: is that the arbor where the clematis will be planted? Nice "family"--as we all know DGers are part of our family, too! :o))
Rann: I'm glad someone is getting some sunshine!!
Sharon: wish I could send you and Kelli some or our rain and the two of you could send us some of your sunshine! Love the color on that flower--is that a Bachelor's Button?
Pepper: is your camera broken? We'd like to see some photos of your clematis!
Ric: lovely clematis and columbines--and the other blooms, too--it's always very satisfying when the plants we receive at RU's do well the next season! A good portion of my plants have come from other DGers.

Currently 63 and "showers in the vicinity" according to the Weather Channel. It's wet and gloomy again this morning. I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to the sound of more rain but it currently isn't raining. "They" are promising a dry afternoon. We'll see. . .
In the meantime, Friday is going to the groomer's this morning. This afternoon we will head up to Harrison, AR once again to my daughter's house. I have lots of plants to take up there from the RU last Saturday. :o)) I'll be there until after Mother's Day but I will check in here while I am away from home. Everyone have a good week-end and if your Mother is still with you, give her a big hug and tell her you love her! If she has gone on, then your memories of her will have to suffice. I will never forget my mother's sweet voice. Whenever she called me on the phone and I would answer, she always said "Hi!" in that special way that only she could. For some reason, it is one of my strongest memories of her, although there are many of them! :o))

I counted 27 blooms on this torch lily(red hot poker).

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6512377

Mau, that's a great memory of your mom. Mine will be her smile and the way the she tilted her head to look at you. Beautiful poker.

Bernie, that's a great pic! The clematis will look wonderful there.

Ric, your flowers are way ahead of mine. Everyone's are. I don't get it.

I talked to my SIL today and she's doing much better now with the new meds. She had discs in her neck pressing on her spinal cord and it was making her left arm go numb.

60.1 F with 76 for our high. Going to be another great day.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 6.5 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 9.5 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6512577

Not to worry Celia I'm at least a Zone ahead of you.
Mau is 2, Sharon and Kelli 3-4... you'll catch up rapidly.

Sharon that's a handsome Dianthus there!

Drizzling rain and 64 here.
They are talking T-Storms and 81 tomorrow.
Then mid 70's to low 80's thru next week...

Mau nice! I have to try those Pokers again.
We had far too little sun when I grew them years back.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6512609

I was just being whiny, Ric. I can't get through a day w/o a little grousing. ☺
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6513059

LOL Ceila!
I get Zone envy a lot too...

Raining steady here now.
Off to fix Robyn's 'puter...

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6513422

Hey Celia - my garden is waaaaay behind ;-) lol My daffs are starting into bloom now ... and I get zone envy a lot too ... until I see what temps you guys are dealing with in the summer time. Then I get over it very quickly! lol

Rann
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 6, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6513587

Update from the AVO site:
"The eruption of Redoubt continues. Seismic activity remains elevated, with nearly constant volcanic tremor detected at the summit. Clear webcam views today show vigorous steaming from the summit. Ongoing rockfalls have re-mobilized small amounts of ash into the air at lower elevations around the summit.
An explosive event could occur at any time with little or no warning. AVO continues to monitor Redoubt's activity 24/7."
Today's Mt. Redoubt update seems to indicate likely large eruption is due.
It's 42*F this afternoon and snowing on the mts.
Have a great day, no matter the weather.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6513753

61 & WET
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6514151

Sharon, the snake is garden friendly. According to the book, they eat grasshoppers and small rodents. I think this is the first snake we've seen in the yard.

Kiska, do you feel earthquakes from Mt. Redoubt or is it too far away?

Hot and windy. It's not what I would have ordered...

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 06, 2009
95 F
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 16 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 26 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

iris "Jumping"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6514153

hedgehog cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6514685

Cool flower! It looks like a pair of hands in green gloves in there!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6515301

Drying out and sunny. A bit hot but not too bad.

I just took a bunch of pics of everything today and will try to download them tomorrow. My camera software doesnt like it when I go in there and resize pics and kicks me out all the time. So until I find a better non internet program I can use I don't download pics very often. Not worth the hassle.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6515528

Celia, you're right. It does.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
9:30 AM

Post #6515897

Dark, still Wet, plants still alive on the porch. Stopped in at the bank branch in Boones Mill on the way home from work yesterday. The Southern States store is right next door and I saw lots of plants for sale outside it. All the plants were from the same nursery that walmart & lowes carry. I did not get anymore plants. 61
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
9:53 AM

Post #6515924

Rann I would love to feel the 40s again! Its too hot here! LOL!
Mau Thats a Dianthus. I think they are so pretty. How did Friday enjoy his day at the spa? Be safe on your trip. Let us know when you get there. Thats a wonderful memory of your mom.
Celia Im glad your SIL is doing well after her surgery. That sounds so painful.
Ric Thats a pretty Iris! I get zone envy too!
Kiska - Keep us updated in Mt. Redoubt.
Dyson Ahhh 61* and wet made me jealous LOL!
Kelli beautiful blooms!
Pepper Have you tried the free version of Adobe Photoshop?

70.5 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 64 F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 F
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88 (more like 90). Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

We heard thunder and lightening around 9:30 last night. I don't know if we got any rain from it. Still too DysonDark too tell. Ooooh, I forgot to tell y'all, Lady Margaret, Mandevilla, both Brugs and Moss Rose are making a come back. I kept the pots after all the freezes we had. I didn't think they would make it, but held out HOPE!

NOID Brug 4/08

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6516556

Windy again this morning, partly cloudy and 41F. The wind's blowing fram the north so it's pretty cold outside :-( I'd prefer cloudy and calm any day ...

Kiska - keep us posted about the volcano ...
Sharon - very pretty brug!

Have a good day!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6517291

55.0 F with 70 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy but clearing.
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: 11.2 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 20.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 6000 ft
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Mom's Bleeding Heart opened in time for Mother's Day.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6517804

It's going to be a scorcher today. Even the clouds look hot.

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on May 07, 2009
88 F
Clear
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: 15 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 23 mph
Pressure: 29.84 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6517915

Kelli,
Are you close to the big fires ?

Beautiful day here, 70 & sunny with a light wind.

Heading off to market in a few minutes.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6517994

The fire is probably about 70 miles from here. We can't see or smell any smoke here.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6518408

Pepper, Picasa is another possibility. http://picasa.google.com/

It's warm out here, too. It's not quite summer weather - the humidity is only at 60% - but it's getting us ready for it!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (44 min ago)
Temperature 87 F 31 C
Dew Point 72 F 22 C
Humidity 60%
Pressure 29.88 in 1012 mb
Wind Speed 18 MPH
G 24 16 kts
G 21
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling 3800 ft 1158 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 94 F 34 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 78.1F / 25.6C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6518811

You know it is dry when the dew point is lower than any temperature ever recorded in your area.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 07, 2009
97 F
Clear
Humidity: 6%
Dew Point: 18 F
Wind: 15 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 29 mph
Pressure: 29.78 in (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

amaryllis "Charisma"

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6519065

Celia - I love that your moms plant is blooming right on time!
Kelli I never thought about it, but does it ever get hot and humid enough there (at the same time) to get the afternoon storms? A Jr. High school friend of mine lives in Bakersfield. Her house caught fire about a week (?) ago. Everyone including the pet got out safely. Arson hasnt been ruled out of the equation. Beautiful amaryllis!
Marylyn LOL my hair is not ready for the humidity (neither am I)

76.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 63 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the ESE
Pressure: 29.95 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 79 F
Clouds: Few 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 16000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 67. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

So I'm guessing it's mostly cloudy out there LOL! We're watering the lawn. No rain last night - just noise.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6519220

We do not get summer thunderstorms, never, ever. I can probably count on one hand the number of thunderstorms we've had in the 21 years I've lived out here. They are usually, and maybe always (I don't remember) in the spring. Sorry to hear about your friend in Bakersfield. Otherwise, does she like it there? I don't know much about it in detail. From the highway, it looks like the dullest place on earth.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6519290

Howling north wind and 36F just after midnight. More sunny and windy weather forecast tomorrow and possibly a freeze tomorrow night. Sigh ... Still I wouldn't want to trade you guys those 80+F! lol

Off too bed ...

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6519830

I heard thunder once when we were out in L.A.
That was at Christmas and we saw no lightning. But it did rain for 12 hours straight.
So the thunder may have been everyone's jaws dropping...
BTW People in L.A. absolutely can't drive in rain.
Worse than people here on ice.

Started out cloudy here but finally cleared up by noon.

You all know I am certifiable... well now I'm certified too... lol!
The Forklift deal was a 3 hour course but now I'm legal.
The dead end of the pipeline is there now.
NO Metal was cut this week.
2 jobs next week...then it picks up...

Someone asked about yard shots as I usually shoot closeups or stock shots.
So even though we've not gotten a lot cleaned up.
Here's the driveway bed.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6519864

We play a lot w/ texture as we have very little area in which to garden.
The DW Bed is our sunniest spot so...
Iris, Zebra Grass, Sunchokes, Butterflybush, Hardy Geraniums, Black Cow Parsley, Asiatic Lily's,
Lamb's Ear, Sedum are a few of the things in there.

Here's a closer texture shot.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6519888

Here's the other side of the Drive.
You can see our Glass Porch at the right.
It's still weeks away from prime and nowhere near ready to be seen but...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6519895

Hot, humid and now there have been tornadoes in northern MO. At one time there was 2 on the ground. Nothing here. Just humidity and darkness.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6519914

Here's the front past the Drive.
Our property ends just past the yellow hedges (which haven't had their haircut yet).
The Entryway's are just growing their Trumpet Vine hair.
You can just see the Hurricane and Ice damage in the Maple upper right.

Ric

This message was edited May 7, 2009 10:28 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6519934

A peek behind the hedge.
This is my new favorite Hosta 'Krossa Regal' surrounded by Ostrich Ferns

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6519964

Last shot for this evening.
The Tapestry Hedge... greatly in need of a haircut.
The fence is about 6.5' or 2 Meters tall.
Euonymus are the Yellow and Whites.
The big gun in front is a Petasites Japonica which will be leaving for the RU.
Notice the Clematis montana 'Reubens' has formed a garland affect...
pretty cool and totally planned (yeah right! lol!)

Ric

Pepper stay safe!!!!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6520058

Your yard looks great and not at all out of control or in need of trimming (compared to El Rancho Kelli).
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6520219

Ah but that wouldn't be selective shooting by me would it now... lol!

Thanks!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #6520417

9pm: bright and sunny tonight. Sunset will be in about 1 1/2 hours.
52*F
The volcano is quite active; the lava dome continues to build~my SIL flies out to Seattle tomorrow and we're hoping for no eruption that will close or delay flights.
kelli~we aren't feeling the quakes from Redoubt; but have had a couple of rather strong ones here in the past month/half.
Such terrible fires again, there; so sorry for all.
Congrats, ric. Your yard/flowers look great.
My DH just finished this project for me~

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6521105

Tell your DH it's Beautiful Kiska!

63 going for 75 and misty rain here. Working toward T-Storms by afternoon.

The newest 'Stars' in the Garden.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6521119

Getting another Arbor for next year's show.
The 'Krossa Royal' is just behind the hedge.

Ric

This message was edited May 8, 2009 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6521473

Ric; your garden is lush and lovely--looks like you have every sq. inch of available space jam-packed with plants! You answered my question about the petasites japonica--I was going to ask "What is it?"
Celia: the Bleeding Heart is certainly a wonderful reminder of your Mom! Glad your SIL is doing better.
Sharon: pretty brug; wish I could send you some of the rain we are having today.
Friday looked so "grown-up" with his "big boy" haircut. This is the first time he hasn't had a "puppy cut".
Kelli: another lovely amaryllis. sure hope the fires stay away from you!
Kiska: your DH made a gorgeous stained glass piece of the horse--my granddaughter would really love it--she is really "into" horses right now.
Rann: we do have air conditioning, thank goodness, for those hot,humid days of summer! LOL
Pepper: hope you get your pictures downloaded without too much trouble.

I had a lovely day for a drive to Harrison on Wednesday. The clouds moved out and the sun came out--it was gorgeous. I took lots of photos on the way up here to share with you but I will have to wait until I get back home next week --I forgot to bring the cable to my camera so I can download the pics! Yesterday was another lovely day--my daughter and I worked outside in the flower beds all day. We were both pooped at the end of the day but it was a very productive and satisfying workday. We got all the plants in the ground that I brought to her from our recent RU! :o))

Today, once again, it is raining--we just had a thundershower and it really poured. It has slacked up somewhat right now. Current temp is 64 F.
Everyone have a good day!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6521774

Ric, your grounds look beautiful! Every inch of the 'strategic' shots are great!

Mau, no pic of Friday in his new do?

Kelli, LOL re: the dew point. ☺ Pretty amarylis.

Sharon, your's is too! Monty and Isis say, 'HI'!!!

Kiska, that is sure a pretty piece of work your DH did.

48.6 F with only 58 for the high. It's quite chilly out there after the heat of a few days ago.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 49 F
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 25 F
Wind: 3.0 mphfrom the NW
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 30.19 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Full moon last evening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6521970

Celia I forgot to mention the BH.
We rescued one from my Mother's yard too.
It, Peonies, Lamb's Ear and Iris were the plants she did well her last 30 years.

T-Storms are at the IN-IL line now... we have maybe 4 hours or so...

Just bought some new backyard toys for a project I'm in the planning stages of...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6521987

I don't have any plants from mom's yard. She was never a big gardener. That was given to me last year when she passed away and I planted it in her honor.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6522010

Showers this morning but turning mostly sunny now. It's a beautiful day here(Northwestern Missouri). Southern Missouri has been less fortunate this morning and right now are having scattered severe storms, tornado warnings and some tornado damage reported earlier.
Cuckoo

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6522016

Glad you're out of the way. Happy thoughts going to those who are in the way.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6522028

I could have sworn I posted this morning :P

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6522038

Tell us, Sharon...what's it like in Florida today?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6522374

Sunny, Bright, 75 - hope the ground dries out enough to get some veggie plants into the ground this weekend.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6522563

HOT!! 91*

It's dry enough here Dyson!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6522793

Well I finally entered the 21st Century.
The new notebook just got here.
I'm coming to you live and wireless from the front porch.

It's 73 here and the rain is minutes away.
The T-Storms are still a bit west of us.

Ric

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6522982

Ric - be careful - the wireless world does become addictive without warnings.

Sharon - you can have all the moisture in the ground here for about a month - then I will need it all back!

Care to all.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6523143

The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden burned down. It is a native plant garden, so the plants will be back, but they lost buildings and equipment.

I am upset with Manny Ramirez.

It's not as hot as yesterday.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 08, 2009
85 F
Clear
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.75 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 F
(Above Ground Level)

amaryllis "Fairytale" again

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6523396

How many more of the over paid prim a donas are going to show up ?

We just got done with a 2 Hr soaking rain. I sure am glad all my crops are in for right now.

Getting ready for market tonight. Thought we would have radishes, but not many ready. I hope the rain stays away tomorrow.

Going to Grand Daughters dance recital this evening. She is in her 2nd year of dance classes.

Bernie

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6523464

Hello Everyone!

I has no power this morning at 7:10 am which it got bad T-Storm for about 45 minutes then lightning hit some where in South Joplin or don't know where got hit at... So, I got new gen. pull out of my garden shed and get my gen. running alright and get my computer and tv running already and there is bad weather in tv news now terrible and still no power now geez come on lol

This message was edited May 8, 2009 6:04 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6524160

Bad storms last night in northern MO and at one point 2 tornadoes down at once. But nowhere near me or cuckoo. Had a storm hit this morning and we got quite a bit of rain. Took away the mugginess but not the heat. We hit around 80 with lots of sun.

I finally got pics to download this morning. Took a few tries but it finally behaved. Now I need to see what really needs to be posted and resize only those. Even then it will still quit working and I will be sitting on my hands growling cause it and I don't get along. LOL!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6524249

Pepper unless you are using a dialup you don't need to resize to post pictures here.
The site does it automatically.

We had a T-Storm move thru about 2 hours ago.
No biggie... lots of BOOM, no ground lightning, moderate rain.
Clear now and 64 .

Kelli I hate to hear that.
Is the Zoo OK?

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6524290

I'm on dial-up. LOL. It's that or $40 a month (not including installation) for satalite out here in the country.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6524679

Ric, the zoo is outside of the evacuation zone, so it should be o.k.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6525017

So awefully sorry to hear about the gardens! Breaks my heart they lost so much.

Rusty, good to hear from you again. So much trouble going on lately, power-wise.

Grrrr, Pepper. I know how you feel.

We had a beautiful, if cool, day. Only got to about 58. It will be warming considerably in the next few days.

Darrell and I went to see the Lippizan stallions tonight! I haven't seen them since I was very young. Darrell had never been, so, it was a treat for him.

A couple pics...

The horses were so white, the camera had trouble focusing, but, I did manage to get a few good ones.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
5:42 AM

Post #6525021

Precision horsemanship.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6525023

Another.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #6525026

Agility and strength.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #6525029

My favorite. These horses are amazing.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6525365

Mornin'! :D Well the heavy rains are still here. We've got flood warnings...we had 2 tornado warnings close by yesterday evening. They're a rare thing here. We've had over 1" of rain since last night (starting about 8:00pm) & I have a crack in my rain guage!
At Dublin...
Rain: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 66
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 7 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 3 mph W
Sunrise: 6:19 AM
Sunset: 8:20 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

I'm so far behind there is no way of catching up.

Dyson, I do hope that you are all right!
Kiska, You are on my mind. Stay safe! And thinking about your sister, too.

DH & I are going out for a little ride in a sec to see the high waters. Maybe I can get a few pics while we're out.

Be back later!
Joey

(this is the last of the proms...Brooke graduates as Salutitorian this year)

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6525881

36*F cloudy
This morning's Alaska Volcano Observatory report:
"The 2009 eruption of Redoubt continues. Seismicity at the volcano has dropped over the past two days, though it remains elevated compared to background levels.

There have been some views of incandescence seen at the dome and just below the dome in the Hut web camera images tonight. The source of the incandescence is hot material that has sloughed off of the dome in rock falls or been exposed in the dome."
From rain, fires, volcanos; spring is on the move. The ice jams/flooding damages here have taken a terrible toll on some communities.
Loved the pics; the Lipizons are beautiful and you have gorgeous photos of them.
Prom/flowers and new notebook, everyone is busy. So nice to be part of this wwide group.
2nd oldest gson~

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6526115

Howdy Do Everyone! Come on in and have a piece of rhubarb custard pie!

Well, I finally had to go to the Dr on May 1st. Wednesday and Thursday I had hypothermia like chills and a bad headache. I had no idea I had a temp of 104.7, so it was hyperthermia instead.They gave me 750 mg's off Tylenol at the office to get my fever down and a prescription to Augmenton for a severe bacterial infection. The Tylenol worked well. Two and a half hours later I was normal. I've felt better since Wednesday and even mowed the yard Friday with a couple of breaks to rest. DH has been weeding my beds for me so I'm not too far behind, and I've put garden in. I've fought off my last sinus infection by myself.

On the plus side, after being so sick, I now feel smarter :o)

60* sunny, cold and windy today!

I'll try to get back and do a little reading.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6526117

Great grad pics! All of them look so happy it's over. lol

Thanks, Kiska. We enjoyed it.

52.6 F with 67 for our high. Headed for the 80s later in the week.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 20 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.15 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

One more.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6526124

We crossed...

Glad you're feeling better and are now smarter! LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6526154

Hello again,

Here the my newspaper "The Joplin Globe" link:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_128172132.html

I got my generator running because of my refrigerator don't want lose all my foods...

It really lucky where I am now and I m safe and my home too... Phew! just alot of broken limbs and get all clean up the mess!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6526532

Thanks Celia!

Rusty, it's nice to have a generator! I'm glad you're safe!

I actually read all of the last link plus this one! Everyone has been busy, has beautiful kids and flowers!

It's so green and clean here since the rain last night. I put more garden in and resowed a few tomatoes and such that didn't come up while I was sick. Luckily I don't have to can them this year so just s few plants will do. It's too windy to get any pictures. We have a chilly weekend and then it warms up again. I'll be ready!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6526735

I got the power back on at 12:12 pm today Phew! I put it all away and gonna be raining tomorrow...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 9, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6526978

I had a busy week gardening and at work, but I loved all your pics and posts. I have to catch up with you tomorrow.
It has been warming up and since you liked my sunrise, here is a sunset.
Ric love your garden. What are those on the roof ?
Kelli, the amaryllis are amasing! Glad you are away from the fire.
Kiska, stay safe from the volcano! Congrats for your grandson.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6527830

Mid 60s today, mostly sunny with a breeze. Went to a fellow DG member's house for a RU today but only 1 other DG member showed up. Others couldn't make it for various reasons. We still had fun. Very tired now and I have to work tomorrow. lol
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6527975

Wow, what a busy week you all have had. Billyporter, it is good to hear from you. Rusty - I am so glad the storms spared your home and you.

We have had three beautiful days here is Pa. Yesterday and today were a bit cloudy, but warm ( highs in the low 80's) and we had sunlight off and on. Morning temps are in the 50-60 deg range - just perfect working weather. These temps last until about 10:30AM. But if you start at 6:30AM you can be entirely worn out by 10:30 AM, LOL It works for me. Sure hope I get stronger and leaner as the summer progresses.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6528411

Rusty I was thinking about you today when I heard what areas were hit out that way.
Glad everyone is OK!

We had some wind but nothing to worry about.
Maybe 35-40 MPH gusts.
We did get blown around a bit driving to Dayton though.

BP Glad you are feeling better.

Long day up there today.
More in the Morning...

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2009
10:48 AM

Post #6528854

Good Morning! For all of you mothers out there... http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=429512557&m=3556&rr=y&source=msne999

I didn't get many flood pics...the water had already started receeding. The 1st time I went out it was raining so hard, I gave up & didn't stay out very long. So I waited until the afternoon.
It's 57 & fairly calm.

Seeds, Glad that you are getting some good weather, but take care & don't over do! LOL (it's hard to contain yourself in the spring, huh? ;)
Ric, Glad that you have a mini-vacation. btw, I love your compost bins! And what a great looking plant growing out of one of them! LOL ;)
Kelli, What an interesting looking snake. Neat colors! But your Amaryllis! Wow! :D
Sharon, The rain may be coming your way...but it didn't cool this off much, just made it steamier.
Kiska, What a handsome young man! And Frank did a marvelous job for you! :D
Mau, are ya having a bunch of fun? I feel certain that you are! ;)
Sally! I'll be right up! So save me some pie! :D
Rann, You're right. Things are steaming up down here...we'll just have to all come to your house to cool off! ;)
Celia! What great pics! Those are some gorgeous horses! And I love the moon w/ the snow caps! Wow!
Pepper, Your days at work sound like mine...makes ya really tired, huh? Have you bruises healed?
Marylyn? Are you healing from your falls, too? Sounds like you had a lot of fun, tho! :D
Dyson? Has is quit raining on you? Hope everything is OK there.

For all of you moms...Have a great day!
And for all of you that are not moms...hope you have a great day, too!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6528894

58, sunny, bright with a breeze from the north.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2009
11:25 AM

Post #6528915

46* and already breezy. I've been up since 5:00 and it was still just light enough to see. Exactly how I like my mornings!

Adina, my sunrises and sets are mostly peaches and apricots. Your beautiful skys never disappoint!

Sleep Pepper sleep.

Thank you Seeds. It made me remember all those on Dave's with fibromyalgia who accomplish things. That's why I got up and did when I felt well enough. After the sorm killed a friend a few years back I'm not so carefree about a chaotic storm. I used to love the wild side of them. ROTFL!!! I'm counting on summer to take off Thanksgiving and Christmas!!

Thanks Ric. It's good to be better! I'm glad your mini vacation is over. What a relief, huh?

Joey, I'll make a fresh one for you when you get here :o) I also made rhubarb/strawberry sauce using strawberry jelly. I am going to learn how to make my own jelly after I make a strawberry bed somewhere :o) I am so sick of eating high fructose corn syrup. Nothing tastes right. Not even the 7 Up that was supposed to make me feel better.

Rann, I've been to your site and you have beautiful flowers!! I hope the election goes well and your kids don't have to feel the tension anymore! They are so beautiful in their costumes!

Joey, I love the picture! Cow or dog?

Dyson, a little sunshine to your morn for a change!

Happy Mother's Day to all!!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6529623

I just turned some lawn over in prep for planting - good, black, rich looking soil not at all like the red clay out at the lake! even I may get something to grow here.

62, bright sun, clear skies.

Edited to add: I am actually finding worms - always a good sign!

This message was edited May 10, 2009 12:04 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6529967

Have a wonderful day full of whatever you want it to have!!!

60.0 F with 68 for the high.
Scattered Clouds but not enough to cool anything.
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6530184

Cool Celia!

I'm out playing in the yard w/ the new Notebook.
Beautiful Day! 60's, Partly cloudy and drying out.
Nice Breeze too!
As far as I can go and I'm 4/5 Bars so that's good!
I am though having visibility problems... so I need to address that issue.

Hot Tub Cover is cleaned and I have a list of stuff to pick up at Lowes so Off We Go.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6530185

Hey it Worked! LOL!

BBL
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6530225

I need to get to Lowe's, too. Lots of stuff like flagstone, more plants...

Here's the other Brother.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6530406

Happy Mothers Day! I hope everyone is having a great time with family.

Kelli That is so sad about the botanical garden. Such a terrible loss.
Rusty So glad to hear from you and Im very happy you didnt have any damage during the storm. Good thing you have a generator!
Celia- Great pics! I love those stallions! My mom used to take me to see them (when I was a kid) whenever they came to town.
Joey Arent Garrett and Brooke a cute couple?
Kiska Mt Redoubt just wont stop. Stay safe. Handsome GS you have.
Sally I want your recipe for the pie! Yuuuummmm! What caused the fever and hypothermia? SO glad you are feeling better!
Rusty WOW! That was quite a storm!
Adina Thats a beautiful sunset! Youll have to post pics of your garden.
Se_eds I start early on the weekends too especially now that we are having July/August temps.
Joey Beautiful shot!
Dyson LOL! I love it when I find earthworms!
Celia - Where did you take those pictures? I love the Blues Brothers.
Mau - I received the ajuga. Thank You! I planted them in pots to let them grow a little. By that time I should know exactly where to plant them.

I got up at 6am and stayed up. Had a weird dream and decided against going back to sleep when I saw it was already 71* outside. Got up, planted caladiums, sweet potato vine and azaleas in the (still ugly, but getting better) front area. By the time I was done I was covered in dirt and sweat. I also pulled a bunch of a vine out of the oleanders. This vine is trying to take over everything in the yard. The only good thing about it is it's easy to pull up. The lantana that I thought was dead in the front is starting to come back to life. Good thing I didn't have it dug out yet LOL! It's way behind all the other lantanas though, they've been coming back for a month now.

You can see the vines here weighing down the oleander

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6530420

This is the oleander on the right being weighed down by the vine. I'm not sure what the green plant in he middle is, but it bloomed some kind of white "dandelionish" blooms. It's coming out.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6530431

Here they are now - they look much happier to me :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6530505

I forgot to add the weather LOL!

83.8 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 65 F
Wind: 3.2 mph
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 86 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. West winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon.

Cooler by 3* than the last couple of days. We'll be more seasonal by mid-week. Way too hot for May here.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6530842

A little on the cool side today and mostly cloudy. A few sprinkles here and there.

Had to work to make up for taking off yesterday and was pretty busy all day. Had to reorganize everything (didn't get done) and water before I left. That I managed to get done. LOL. Am about out of hanging baskets again at work. We just got a shipment in Friday and already over half are gone! LOL.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6531027

Sharon - please start a new thread.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6531113

as requested - we've moved here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986840/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America