Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Weedeater.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 10, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Landscaping92
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
6:41 AM

Post #6491999

I think I may have done some damage to my 2 year old newport plums trunk with the weedeater it seams healthy but the trunk next the ground has hole in one side like its missing some bark. My question is will it heal up its been like that a year or will it one day cause my tree to break at the damaged part. Will it grow back closed and be like it was before the damage nice and strong I do not want to lose it. Thankyou

Thumbnail by Landscaping92
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6492899

If you could get a photo of the damage that would help in figuring out how severe it is. Unless the trunk is really skinny I doubt the weedeater could have taken such a huge chunk out of it that it would make the tree fall over, but anytime you break through the bark it can provide an entry point for diseases. Did you just hit it once with the weed eater or is this something that's happened over and over? Repeatedly weed whacking the tree can definitely cause permanent damage, but if it was just a one time thing then hopefully it can recover. Really need to see a real photo though to give you any sort of perspective on how bad the damage is.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6493677

there have been discussions many on whether or no to paint damaj to trees from such things as pruning limbs, but basically, damaj needs to have a bandaid to prevent ez access by disease n bugs. NC, like Tx, doesnt get enuff cold to kill a lot of bugs off. Most trees I've seen dont fill in holes, there will always b a scar. However, u need to find out if u r sure it was your weedeater that caused the damaj, or just uncovered a hidden problem. Local nurseries carry products to 'paint' the damaj...
Landscaping92
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6494149

Photo.

Landscaping92
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6494151

Photos.

Landscaping92
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6494158

Photo5.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6494234

I would expect that tree to die. I dont think that is weedeater damaj alone, even if the weedeater was the original culprit, that tree has issues.
Landscaping92
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6494302

It seams very healty.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6494401

if the gash goes to the heartwood, it may not make the summer, u need to protect from fungus es. n good luck!
Landscaping92
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6550561

Thankyou.
gcorrier
Lenoir City, TN

May 15, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6551568

Ls92: You are not alone with the weedeater damage, I too have gotten a little to close. I had good luck taking a dish towel spraying well with a multipurpose fruit tree spray gently pushing the remaining bark back down against the injured area loosely wrapping the towel around the trunk and then used duct tape to hold it in place. During regular sprayings I would respray the towel which I left hang out over the tape. Do not tape across the injury only above and below it. Leave the towel loose over the injury so the tree can heal if it will. Also do not let this tree put on fruit for a couple of seasons so it can use the energy it has to focus on overall health instead of feeding growing fruit. This was shown to me by an old farmer friend who has since passed. He grew just about everthing you could buy at a road side stand. Wish you best of luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America