Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Self-contained Box Gardens: Protecting my wood deck?

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 6, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
liannenc
Concord, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6492450

Good morning folks!

I'm excited-- I've got my grow-bags, my coir, some fertilizer... and my tomatoes arrived yesterday! So, I'm ready to get down to business. However, my husband is not real happy about my wanting to keep the plants on our deck because he's worried about water damage and I'd like to prevent that as well. I really want to keep the plants on the deck-- so I can keep a closer eye on them, keep them away from the local bunnies and other pests and, frankly, to keep them as far from my chemical-herbicide-obsessed neighbor as possible. So, I want to put something under the bags to keep the deck under them protected from constant damp. I'm not sure what, though, because I've heard that keeping the bottom of a planter or bag in water can cause problems. These are big bags (15 gallons) and I'm hoping to come up with an idea for something shallow. I think Jay posted something about dishpans, but I'm afraid they would trap too much water. I also thought about dish drainers, but they're designed to drain water off of one side so that would defeat the purpose. Anyone have any ideas???
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6494821

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your deck has been painted with a quality water sealer?
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6496651

You might think about building a bench, however high that fits your needs, to support the bags up off the floor. The plants setting up off the ground at nurseries are usually on some kind of open top table covered with wire or wood slats so water can drain thru to the ground allowing the ground beneath the plants to dry between waterings.

Jerry
Devota
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6497218

What Jerry said, leannenc. Something as simple as a couple of bricks per EB would give you peace of mind...also they sell wheels for the EBs which would get them off the wood. Lowes sells something similar which might also fit. I just had my deck resealed so I know you wnt to protect yours. Devota
joy112854
Crestview, FL

May 5, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6505470

liannec: You could use those little saucer type things that you can buy at Lowes and put them under the bags, I did that when I put the bags in my greenhouse on the wooden table to protect the wood. They have some varied sizes and they are not that expensive, it will also let you know by looking at the saucer if the plant needs water or not.
joy
Devota
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6506662

Lianne, I'm an idiot...you said bag..I thought EB. duh.
liannenc
Concord, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6526832

Thank y'all so much for the ideas. I actually found my solution, though, at IKEA of all places! I've attached a photo of what they call a "plant glide". The bags sit just fine on top of them, and they are on wheels so I can easily move the bags around on the deck.

Thumbnail by liannenc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America