Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Excited to share some pics of my first water lily

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 152, Views: 567
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6494100

I got a Tina tropical semidwarf, and it bloomed! I'm new to gardening and am so excited! It's blue/purple color is so vibrant! I'm trying to get it to propagate vivaporously, but so far no luck, although almost every leaf has a nub.

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6494704

that is beautiful!
mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6494746

Lovely, flowerehj. Just enjoy it for now.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6499506

Thank you, nothing I did! One of the lilypads is showing the tiniest growth on it! It could be taking off! What is your experience with viviparous propagation?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 4, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6499672

wow...that is beautiful! i miss my tina. she went to that giant lily pad in the sky. :(

where did you get yours flowerehj? i am determined to try again! :)
mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #6499772

If you're asking me, flowerehj, I collected hardy water lilies and added a couple of tropicals on a lark, but the hardies held my interest. As such, propagation for me consisted of simple division of the plants each year.

Your waterlily is lovely, and I suspect that it's only the first of many - better start digging those extra ponds! (Get a lotus - you'll play for hours sprinkling water droplets on the leaves).
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6499922

Slocum Watergardens: http://floridaplants.com/Store/slocumindex.htm
I went to see them and they were very helpful. Plants arrived exactly when they say they did, with buds already on the waterlily. It's been blooming non-stop since the first flower came out. (We're on the 3rd flower now!). What is the magic with water droplets on lotus leaves? Macatmom, you made me curious!

Thumbnail by flowerehj

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 4, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6499957

thanks for the link. they must be huge for those prices?!?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6500027

To be honest, I wouldn't know. The image I'm attaching is of the waterlily in the pond for about a week. So you can figure. They are not huge in my opinion, but definitely a good size. To be honest, I don't want them huge- I like them small in my small pond! Hey, wait a minute! I paid only 25, plus 10 for shipping and handling (the lily plus dwarf cattail and an oxygenating plant) I just checked the price at the website... What the heck? Maybe you should just call them. ?? Weird. I'm new to gardening, so I don't know what is a good deal/what isn't, but I do know the plants arrived healthy and I was very happy. ? :-S

Thumbnail by flowerehj

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 4, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6500520

haha! changed the prices on you. LOL i just bought a lotus from texas water lilies. i like their prices. however, they don't have tina. :(

mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6500531

No fair, flower! You have to discover that for yourself. You don't need a new pond for a lotus - you can grow a dwarf lotus in a large tub. Before long, you'll be a water garden addict. Have fun with your new hobby - it will give you lots of pleasure.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 4, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6503124

your question about viviparous propagation got me curious. check out http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/sean_vivips/page1.html for more info. it's great that tina is one of the lilies that propagates this way. she was my first lily but i lost her! i just ordered one today from texas water lilies for $13.95. let the fun begin! :)
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2009
6:39 AM

Post #6506059

Haha! Hey, that's a great link, I also found that one. I'm just not going to set up all that stuff that guy has. I'm doing it out in the yard, in the sunlight in pondwater. If I started selling them as a business, this guy's setup sounds great! Hope your Tina will be great! Good price! You did good!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 5, 2009
7:59 AM

Post #6506112

good luck to you flower! i will be doing mine outside, too. we have enough sun and heat here in arizona. lack the humidity though unless it's the monsoon season.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 7, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6518141

does anyone know what the minimum planting depth is for tina?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6519108

Hi tucsonplumeriaz, I don't really know. Mine is not so deep, only about 2 1/2 ft down, and you have to remember that the water lily pot sits on the bottom, with the lily's stems starting at the top of the pot (about 8"). Maybe someone else with a bit more experience would know?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6519418

tina arrived today...wow! twl shipped a very good product. i am impressed.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6519476

Great! I'd love to see pictures once you have Tina installed :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6519569

i put her in the lotus container for right now. it is 22" x 32" across and 7" deep. the bulb(?) would be almost against the bottom of the container. i don't know... help??? LOL

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6519619

where did you have your previous Tina- you know the one that has gone to the lilypad in the sky? Looks like you need something deeper. The roots have to be able to go somewhere :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6519648

it was in a container that was too small. can't the roots just spread outward?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6519931

Hmmmm. I wouldn't know. I do think that the lily pads will spread a lot to make a huge circle if there's no space for them to grow upward a little length. It does that in my pond, and I don't like that very much. Can't you buy a larger deeper tub? I saw this one in another forum. I thought it was nice, it would suit your purpose exactly. I think it would be worth the investment.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6495257
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6519987

i like that one. i guess i will just look around. for now she will have to hang out with the lotus. :( thanks for your help.

of course, that one is large and i will need another lily and fish and...LOL
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6520004

haha! Like that really makes you sad :) I've seen Home Depot carry some hard plastic shell ponds- can't remember if a plain round one was among them. So, do you have a whole bunch of plumeria? (just guessing from your name) I love plumeria- reminds me of Hawaii... Oh, such paradise! What's your name tucsonplumeriaz? By the way, if I'd known my Tina was going to have babies this soon (that I didn't kill, haha), I would have told you and maybe we could have traded. But anyhow... (The vivap lilypad has little green things growing from it!!!! YeaY!!! Have you done that before with your previous Tina?

Froukje
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6520131

yeah, plumeria is what i do. i'll share some pics once they start blooming. i should have some extras for trade later.

i had not heard of the vivap until you mentioned it. i am looking forward to trying it though. and btw, i am sad that i'd have to buy more plants. yeah, right! :)

i have seen them at home depot, too. i will check there and lowes. i want to get her established before she starts growing fast in all this heat.

detrick
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
6:48 AM

Post #6520563

Good idea Detrick- mine just took off like crazy. It's bursting out with new leaves and buds every day! I'm hoping to get a hydrangea for my baby Tina by the way- so far no luck! Can't wait for your plumeria picks!
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6521185

I think Lowes has the round ponds for 29.99 reg price with no pump. They have 3 plant shelves on the sides but there is a deeper spot in the middle. Last winter they sold them on clearance here for 20.00 with a pump and fountain.

I have had only one plummie bloom so far. There are also inflos on Cerise, Aztec Gold, and another rainbow type I got from HI. The rest aren't doing anything yet lol.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6521523

aaahhh! she does plumeria, too. LOL my aztec gold had inflos. i absolutely love that one - fresh georgia peaches.

okay, i went to home depot and lowes this morning and i ended up buying a tote container from wally world. LOL it's deep enough and 18" across. should i plant tina in a container and sink the container? or should i just plant her straight in the medium of the container holding the water?

thanks again.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 8, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6521862

here is tina in her new home. i planted her at a depth that would allow the unfurled leaves to float (9.5"). i'll add oxygenating plants and fish next week.

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 14, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6545351

tina has vivap fuzzies...woo! hoo! i think it's time to try the vivap propagation.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6545544

Hey, that's great! I still don't have the propagation down yet. I hope I can figure it out soon! Let me know if yours does it and if you find any tricks!

Thumbnail by flowerehj

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 14, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6545901

i don't have it down either. heck, i haven't even tried it before. LOL well, here goes...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6554044

Hey you 2, Dragonfly aquatics told me Lotus should only be 6in. deep under the water. That is where I have mine and they're doing good. Water lilys can go 2or 3 ft deep. Mine are 2&1/2 ft. deep and I can leave them all winter and they are safe. Don't have to bring them in for the winter. But I'm in zone 7. Hope that helps. Mekos
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6554070

Hey Mekos! Join the club! haha! I've been getting curious about Lotus! Insidious!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6554080

What do you want to know? I don't know if I can answer, but I'll try
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6554310

I don't really have questions, I've just kind of become curious about whether it would be a great addition to my mini pond. But I hear it takes up a lot of room? My pond is about 3.5 by 5 feet (appx). It has 1 waterlily now, and a dwarf cattail. Do you think I should fill it up more?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6554381

Different Lotus are different sizes. Where you got it should have info for that. When I got mine they toldme it needed to float for a few days then put on top of clay mix and keep weighted down untilit started to grow leaves then put plant food tablets in the dirt and keep 6inches under water level. Water lilys can go to 3 feet but my kind of Lotus shouldn't for my area. And they said the lotus didn't like moving water, but mine is, I don't want mosquitos in my pond. Mine has spread so fast and put in so many roots, I'm wxcited. I didn't realize it had spread so much until yesterday when I checked while I was pulling water lilys out to mail off. They also said it would rise above the water shortly and stand tall above it. The blooms would be in the air above the water, where water lilys bloom on the water. How is your baby lily doing? Do you think it is growing a new one? I sent your stuff off in the mail already so you should get it soon. mekos
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6554399

Great! My waterlily is growing fast: putting new buds out all the time and new leafs too. How soon do you think I should check for it growing a new waterlily? How do you know to check?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6554460

Not a time limit that I know of, just when you are curious. If yours is in a tub on a deck or porch, I'd check often, if in a pond where it's difficult, probably wouldn't disturb too much. I have 2 ponds, one is deeper than the other so I can overwinter in the deep one and the smaller one I'm just finishing for this very reason. I can get to it better. I have the Mrs. Perry D. Slocum, First Lady and forgot how to spell the other one, all Lotus but my water lilys are Hardy. I don't know if it's going to work, but I'm trying a couple pads of the lotus to see if I can get another one under blue lights and water. I guess I'll find shortly.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 17, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6559824

see the green dot just to the left of the red line? i am so excited because that's the beginnings of the new lily. woo hoo!!! i noticed it yesterday afternoon. by nighttime it had elongated from the white node.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6560315

That's amazing! I'm working on a lotus to see if it will work also a tina pad just put in yesterday.I hope mine do that well. I can't wait.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6560423

I bet they will! It will be a great success! I think mine is stumped because I didn't use the blue light. That's also why I didn't send it to you, Janice. I still have hope for it though! Its new tiny 3 millimeter leaves have turned mostly brown, but there is a shimmer of green left. The hardy lily you sent me is doing well!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 17, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6560580

i didn't use a blue light. in fact, it's just one of the standard tungsten house bulbs.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6560662

How strong is it?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 17, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6560702

60 watts. water temp +90. i also added a drop of seaweed extract to the water for nutrients.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6560807

Since it's cooler here, I put a light bulb in as well for the warmth but the blue lights are what makes it do it's thing much faster. The warmth makes it grow. So far the green pad looks ok but the 2 brown ones smell and looked rotted. The 2 lotus pads I put in look good. May take pictures tomorrow.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 17, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6560842

i might try a blue light later. for right now i will see how things go with the regular bulb.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6561892

They just announced on the weather it's getting down to 44 degrees tonight, and 49 tomorrow night. I need the Florida sun for a while.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 18, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6562222

yikes!!! i am so glad that we are done with that! stay warm...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6562330

Would you know anyone with a foxtail fern to trade? My neighbor wants one.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6562509

I'm trying to root some asparagus fern right now. My plant is not quite big enough to divide, but I am hoping for seeds this season. Is your neighbor patient? haha! I am definitely considering setting up that blue light. Excited to see pictures! I'm also curious about lily/lotus development of regular light bulb versus blue light versus sun light... If I could trade the Florida sun for a while, I would! It's been SO hot here lately! Every time I go out in the yard I am dripping with sweat!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6562812

I'm sorry you got all my sun.!?! She probably won't be too patient. I'm just looking for her.Is that the same as foxtail? I never saw one before. An elderly lady gave it to her a few years ago and later the lady died and this past winter the fern did too. So I told her I'd help her find another. I didn't know the proper name and never saw one so wasn't sure even what to look for. I think my lotus is doing something. I see 2 white spots in the center. It's getting down to 44 degrees tonight so got to use light and blue light. Well, I'm going to bed and hope for a little sun tomorrow.I'll let you know what's happening later. Mekos
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6562843

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31438/
This is the link to the PlantFiles one. I have one. I love it. It's so cool and unusual! I hope it will grow BIG!
Sleep tight! TTYL :D

Froukje
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6572060

i picked up a blue light today. it has the starts of two leaves and i think rootlets. the water was 103. i am adjusting the light so that the water doesn't get so hot. the pad decomposes faster. i am trying a second pad now...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6572217

This is my Lotus pad under the blue light. Seems ok. What's so funny is how the stem that was very tiny at the pad where I pinched it off the plant started growing toward the light about 3inches until it came out of the water and dried up on the end. It may not work, but sure is fun to watch. Mekos (Sorry, this the lotus when I picked it. I'll send another after I put it in the blue light.)

This message was edited May 19, 2009 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6572228

Here is the pad from Tina that was green, the other 2 rotted. Mekos

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6572237

This is the blue lighted lotus.

Thumbnail by mekos

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6572429

Hey! I was thinking, with the lotus, maybe you should add some water so that the tips of the new growth doesn't dry out? Maybe it would just continue growing then. I'm excited about the pictures! My lilypad has been exposed to lack of direct sunshine- it's been raining here now for days! A true downpour! So I hope it will be more balanced the next couple of days- for the plants' sake :)
Froukje
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6572600

mekos - that is funny and happened to me. LOL the cut end of the stem raised up out of the water and started drying. i weighted the stem down with a stone. i swear after that the bud started growing rapidly.

here is a pic from today. you can see a big change from 5/17. the new pad doesn't have the fuzzies around the bud. it will be interesting to see how the 2nd one develops.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6572633

That's so funny. I just went in and clipped the end of the stem so it would be under water again to see if it would start growing again. If it does, I'll weight it down. I didn't think of that before. DUH!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6572652

LOL

i did cut a very tiny piece off to expose fresh tissue. when you weight it down it pushes out bubbles all day.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6572710

Here is what they look like right now. New pictures just took.

Thumbnail by mekos

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6572723

those are some large pads! i can see the stem pointed up. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6572756

The light reflects in the water, I can't get a good picture. The Tina pad isn't big, it's just close up. The Lotus is good size but was a small one compared to how big it will be when grown. Maybe I need to have a grown pad to work with??? Oh well, I'm learning.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6572779

i am learning, too. i just think that whatever pad you use should have surfaced. you can actually see the vivap fuzzies on the pad before it even breaks the surface of the water.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6572801

Mine was surfaced. So maybe it will work. But my Lotus is a very young plant. I just started it about 2 months ago and just put outside in the pond a few weeks ago. It is suppose to come out above the water 2 feet or so soon. It doesn't sit on the water, when it's grown, it will rise above the water. The blooms will be up above the water several feet. It will have quite a large bloom.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6572811

The one I have I 'planted' the node in some soil to keep it down. All the pad had rotted away from it for quite some time anyways, and I had trouble finding the nub in the water sometimes! :) I figure this way it also had some way to get some more nutrients. I don't know if it will work, but the spec of green has become a tiny bit bigger! I'll take pics in a day or two, when I get back from visiting my friend and the downpour hopefully will have stopped!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6572814

my lotus pads are sitting on the water. i hope they stay there for their own safety. LOL the closer to the water they are the more humid it will be. plants dry out fast here in the desert.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6572821

Do you have a lot of water lilies? Pond or container? Do you have a problem with mosquitoes? I'm just wondering.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6572827

i thought we needed to keep the pad exposed to the light like it would be outside in the sun?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6572847

i haven't noticed them in the water features. however, they love the barrels that collect water from the evap cooler.

tina is my only water lily and i have one lotus. i have a water lily and water canna (very fragrant flowers) that are growing like weeds in a 50-gal container.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6572865

When you spoke of the pad, you meant the one you're trying to propagate right? Well, I put the node in the soil, but only the bottom. That way, the top is exposed to sunlight. I put it in a shallow plastic bin outside where it gets lots of light. But without the lilypad to help it float, the node should naturally move down in the pond/water... so I guess the 'planting' it in soil is more of a gently pressing the node in a tiny container of soil! I don't know about a lotus pad.. It might need different treatment? I currently only have 1 mature water lily, and a baby from you Mekos! I have a tiny pond that HAD tons of mosquito larvae in it. Now I see next to none. Maybe the tadpoles ate them? Way to go! How about you guys?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6572874

oh, okay i understand.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6572888

I did this after it had made tiny leaflets so I knew what was going to be its top! When I left it to float, all the miniscule leaflets turned brown, and I thought I had lost the baby. So I put it in the soil like I said and now it's showing the tiny bit of green. I am so hoping for its recovery!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6572892

This is how I was told to do it. Removing the pad promotes growthfaster than if you leave it attached. place it on the bottom and weight it down. Put 75watt grow lamp for 35 gallon tub to heat the water and give light. keep on for 18 hours a day. within 3 days you should have starter leaves forming on the pads and within 6 days should have tiny rootlets. over the next 2 weeks it will grow at an outstanding rate.Then can be potted up and put out in it's pond.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6572898

Yes! Can't wait to hear if it worked for you! :D
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6572904

i think i am starting to see the roots. perhaps, i will give the water a drop of seaweed extract.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6572911

What is the node? The stem?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009

Post #6572919

i saw the green dot 2 days ago. now i have leaflets that are 5mm long. and now that i have the blue light special they should grow faster. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009

Post #6572920

What is seaweed extract? I never heard of that. Where do you get it?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009

Post #6572926

mekos - are you asking me?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6572933

the node is the top of where the stem ends- it's like a fuzzy bit where the plantlet is going to get its start. Seaweed extract- I hadn't hear of that as a way to add nutrients. Sounds very convenient. Hope you have good results with that! :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6572936

ANYONE!?! I need help with these words. I'm country, don't laugh at me. I never tried this before.LOL
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6572942

I don't know where to get seaweed extract either :), and I didn't know what a node was either, untill recently! :D
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6572945

ON the top or bottom of the pad? (node)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6572950

oh my friend just wait until you try this on your potted plants. LOL Seaweed contains all major and minor plant nutrients, and all trace elements; alginic acid; vitamins; auxins; at least two gibberellins; and antibiotics... http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/seaweed.html

i don't use it for water gardening. i am only going to do it for the vivap propagation tupperware container.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6572953

Well, I think the node is the little button of the pad on the top, but it goes into the stem on the bottom (I think it's not just on one side) Because the little leaflets will come out one side of the node, and the rootlets on the other :)
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #6572956

Can you get the extract at home depot?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #6572958

looks like flower answered your question.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6572965

Man, I'm all confused. Was I supposed to cut the stem off at the pad? Then push it into wet dirt?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6572967

actually, both leaflets and rootlets develop at the node on top of the pad. did you check out the link by sean that i posted? see the entire vivap on top of the pad. http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/sean_vivips/vivip2.html
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6572982

No, you're fine. The pad will decompose (get all yucky and slimy) and will just kind of fall off and the node will go on growing (if all goes right) This is also why I said that the rotted pads might still work. I took them right off the plant, they were yellowing, and that is how I started the one with the leaflets that I didn't weigh down early enough. When the pad has gone and the node remains, I would try the pushing it in dirt method. I'll let you know before you get to that point whether this strategy has worked with mine. I would just go with what the guy said on the website for now. It seemed to work for him, so lets try for his kind of results! I think I'm picking up a blue light as well!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6572992

don't confuse yourself. looks like you have it right in your pics.

i am using growmore's seaweed extract. i got it from a nursery down the road.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6572999

Aaah! And so I learned another something new! I didn't look closely enough before! So, that is great. Mine looks quite different. Another reason why I think it might be stumped. I should start another leaf. But I've sent so many pads away that I was waiting for Tina to grow some new ones. Truly remarkable how quickly she regenerates new leaves!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6573002

looking forward to seeing your pics tomorrow flower!

you're doing good mekos! :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6573011

i must admit i was confused at first. i thought for sure the roots would be beneath the pad. good thing i went back and looked at his pics more closely.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6573013

Thanks Tucson, but I can't guarantee the pics. I'm leaving to visit a friend tomorrow and I'm not taking pics if it hasn't stopped raining like crazy over here. I am excited to take some, I hope it stops raining long enough for me to do so! :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6573016

WOW. Mine hasn't done that. But that is where I got the info. Maybe my blue light isn't strong enough. It says the vivips grow if the lighting is very high in bluespectrum. The higher blue the better I think.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6573028

i would just give it time mekos...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6573035

I'll check again tomorrow. Thanks you 2. I appreciate the help.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6573046

I'm learning so much from you two as well! I just love this website and the people in it!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6573048

i think we are all doing good...

see you both tomorrow.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6574126

Here's some pics

The setup (you can barely see the tina nub)

Thumbnail by flowerehj

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6574134

The nub/plantlet out of the water

Thumbnail by flowerehj

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6574139

Here's the nub in the water

Thumbnail by flowerehj

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6574145

Heading out of town now... Talk to you guys later!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6574430

Think I'll just toss these and forget it. Some has green thumb, some don't. Evidentally, I don't.I seem to grow mosquitoes pretty good. Have a nice trip,flowerehj.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6574442

that looks good flower! you had us thinking you were a beginner. LOL have a safe trip. hopefully, i'll have more to show soon.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6574590

You guys have better eyes than I do, I just went to chuck this project and low and behold when I picked them up to toss them, there WAS TINY stuff growing!!!!!!!! I can't believe it. Even the LOTUS is doing it. Go figure. WOW! I'm back now, may try another one. I got the fever. WOOHOO!!!! Mekos
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6574706

like i said, just give it time. if you're following the instruction (as you are) then you can't go wrong as long as you have a lily that vivaps.:)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6574796

I didn't know how to tell if one did or not. How do you find out? I just wanted to try. Where can you go to find out? Do you know?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6574836

hey mekos,

i found out from here http://books.google.com/books?id=ssKzSCtgyZ8C&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=viviparous propagation tina&source=bl&ots=U-t_TZ9HlS&sig=in7jpFFV0lDJhmPMNQO6W6Kxbyc&hl=en&ei=P1MASrHgOcaHtgfk-p2YBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA42,M1 that tina can propagage by vivap.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6574980

Yes, flowerehj told me it could, but I was wondering how to tell if Lotus do or which water lily will.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6575016

AHAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Is there any way to print that out? I have the Mrs. Perry D Slocum, First Lady and Chawan Basu in the lotus. I have several hardy lilies and this one pad that she sent me from her Tina. I tried to print it and it came out blank page. Mekos
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 20, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6575110

i would just save it as a link in your web browser. it is a book preview. i guess that's why it will not allow you to print.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 21, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6580006

wow! that was fast. i started another pad 5/19. it already has roots coming from the bud.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6580040

I put mine in around the 17th . You're just trying to out do me and flower.HAHAHA I can feel roots on mine too since a day or 2 ago but I cant see real good so it's early for me to see them. Keep up the good work, maybe you can trade me one for my pond one day. LOL
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 21, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6580065

haha!!! it's not me. it's tina. she's a champion. plus, i keep the water above 90. i also wonder if the seaweed extract helped. who knows...just having fun!

what do i do when a pad opens up under water? my first vivap has a pad, albeit small. do i now raise the water level? hmmm...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6580342

I wouldn't just yet. Maybe in a week or so and just a little at a time to let it get use to the temp. change. Deeper water has lower temp. Babies are fragile for a while.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6580360

The picture I have of my first article shows the baby with roots potted but the pads are coming out the water and laying on the table, so the water isn't deep.It was potted 10 days after roots in a shallow square pan (looks like maybe 5 inches deep and dirt in the bottom with maybe 2inches of water above dirt.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 21, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6580585

what article mekos?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6580673

Let me see if I can find the info. Back in a minute.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6580691

OK try this------http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/sean_vi... That is what got me interested to trade for a pad from flower.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6580809

Hey, did that help?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6580831

Hey, guys! I'm back! I was so scared you had given up on that pad, Mekos! I saw your post only now! It just takes time! And I AM a beginner- that's my very first (and only) try at a pad. It's been like that like forever, weeks. So I don't know if anything is going to happen. I'm going to lower the water level, and hope that it will stop RAINING constantly and give us some sun alternated with rain so water can heat up. I'm so glad that rootlets/plantforming is starting to happen with you two!!! Jippeee! Good going!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6580898

Hey welcome back! How is yours doing? I think mine is going to make it. The green pad is still green and I touched the center ever so lightly and felt a bump. so I'm not touching it again. I ordered a green tropical today and another lotus(red one this time) .It will be here in a week or so. we'll try that one too.I can't wait! I'm excited!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 22, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6581337

mekos - it's a partial link and goes no where. :(

welcome back flower. send some rain our way!
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6581543

If only I could, Tucson! And good going, Mekos- don't give up! And if mine grows, and your Tina babies don't take off, then you can have the one I am growing. Exciting that you got those new ones!!!!! Wow! I just added a whole bunch of stuff to my wishlist, including some lotus and some nightblooming tropical waterlily. I did some research as to which ones were dwarf species. Looking forward to potentially swapping with the both of you sometime in the future! :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6582360

Flower, Can you send that link again for Vviparous Waterlilies by Kit Knotts? You sent it to me in my d-mail but can you put it here? I haven't learned to do that cut and paste stuff. I tried a couple things up but it didn't work. That one can be printed out. Thanks
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 22, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6582427

thanks for the info mekos. i just did a search and found it online.

here's how they are looking today.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6582506

WOW!!!! That's great. I have the Green Smoke on it's way to me, I'm going to try that one when it comes. What watt is your blue light?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 22, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6582637

yeah, they seem to be growing well. i am just waiting for roots on #1. the light bulb is either 60- or 75-watts.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6583001

There is my problem. It needs more blue light. I knew the more blue light the faster it would develope butI already had 2 small bulbs on an old fish tank for the plants so I just used them. 1 is 20 and 1 is 15watts. So mine is going slower. I'm going to get a bigger light. Talk later.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 22, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6583072

mekos - my light is doesn't have more blue than yours. it's just more intense. you can increase the relative intensity of your by placing them closer to the water's surface.

my water temp is very warm.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6583230

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/sean_vivips/page1.html

Great pics! Good going!
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6590798

I've been doing the vivap outdoors in full sun on a table. I started a few pads of Panama Pacific tropical dayblooming waterlily a week and a half ago or so. Both of the pads are badly rotted away now but the nodes are producing offshoots now. They are in a dishpan with prob about 4 inches of water above the top. They started growing better once we got a ton of rain lol.

Here is the larger one.

Thumbnail by angel_tree_baby

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6590801

I have now set up a new leaf and the 'stumped' plantlet under a blue light. The water really warmed up! I have high hopes!
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6590806

This is the smaller one that is basically the node left. I thought it was a goner but has several green buds coming out now.

Thumbnail by angel_tree_baby

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6590809

Hi Angeltreebaby!
Did you weight your pad(s) down at all?
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6590816

I wieghted them down with a pond pebble until the little one got too rotted away, so then I just let it float around.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6590839

It looks like you're doing really good! How exciting! Mine did well up untill right about where your bigger one is, but since it was just the node left, and it was floating, I think it stopped growing. I'm trying to convince it to start again. I think they do better if they are below the water surface. Here's a link to the page that has helped me;
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/sean_vivips/page1.html
Can't wait to see your progress!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 25, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6596135

way to go angel! looks like everyone is seeing some good growth.

i definitely keep mine under water here in arizona. they wouldn't stand a chance in our lack of humidity.

my second vivap has overtaken the first one. this one has put out some good roots and was not fuzzy like the first one. hmmm...i wonder if the ones w/o the fuzzies are better. i still don't see any roots on the one that has fuzzies. plus, it seems to have stalled for now. i'll keep an eye or two on it. LOL
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 26, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6599676

thought i'd let the vivaps get some sunlight. i just have to mind the water temp and evaporation. they are in direct sunlight for most of the day.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6600518

I continue to use the light- much more consistent (rain and cloudy weather here lately)- the new leaf is showing growth! the 'stumped' bud from before, however, seems stuck in whatever it's doing right now. Leaves look greener, but are not growing...
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 26, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6600718

nothing but blue skies here in the desert. it'll come in around sunset and get artificial light until 12a.

i have a 'stumped' bud, too. perhaps, real sunlight will wake it up. we shall see.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 27, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6604156

this is from 5/22 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6582427.

this is how 2 looks today!

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6604419

Tucson! That is totally awesome!!! Mine looks like it has 1 itty-bitty leaf ready to uncurl. You're doing a great job!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 27, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6604471

flower - it's all tina! : ) i am just sitting there watching... the blue light is close to the water and the temp is 90+ degrees. light on from 6a - 12a.

the first one i started has stalled. you can see that #1 look just about the same in both pics. i think that it's because i has not pushed out roots. i wonder if it's because it started out with fuzzies.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6604548

I hope mine will do as well. I can't stop myself from constantly going to check on them! I put some out in the sunlight as well. So I now have 2 different batches. My stumped one also has not pushed out roots as far as I can tell. The one that's doing well right now started with fuzzies. I just think that the ones without fuzzies might be one step ahead- they're already in the plantmaking stage?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 27, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6604644

i have pads that have fuzzy nodes and just a solid node. i have only done one of each so far. it looks like the non-fuzzie node pushes out roots right away. i will have to test this out though. sounds like you're having luck with the fuzzies though.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6608895

Those look really good tucson!
Mine look like they are growing steady but slowly lol. I'm excited because the mother plant of Panama Pacific has a flower bud opening today and another one coming up. I was afraid that taking some of the leaves off for vivap might delay its flowering- guess not!
My red flare also has 2 buds that look like they might open tonight. Best of all , all my watergarden barrels are full of tiny tadpoles, I think they are from the green treefrogs I've seen sitting on the lily pads. Yippee!
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 28, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6609300

congrats on the lily bud and tadpoles. never a dull moment around the watering hole. : )

i put #2 outside in the lotus pan. its first pad broke the water's surface and started drying out from the light. i figured since it has roots that i can now swim with the big kids. the water is cooler but i think this will be better for it at this point to get used to the sunlight.

i started another vivap today. it the non-fuzzy node. well, let's see what happens.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6618119

NEW THREAD: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995572/

Please go there and click on 'watch thread' so we don't have to wait forever for the page to load!
Hope to talk to you guys there!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America