Cardinal's nest in my orange tree!

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

When I walked past our orange tree, I was suprised a cardinal stuck around and twirped at me quite agitatedly. Most of the time, they just take off! I looked, and a bunch of stuff was sitting in the tree! I thought; wow! Maybe that's a nest! And yes, there is a little nest mostly made of spanish moss! I took a picture of the little egg inside! Isn't it so cute? I didn't touch it of course. Can anyone confirm it's a cardinal's egg? I hope it will live!

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Picture of the side- it just looks like a bunch of crap stuck in a tree! LOL

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Saint Petersburg, FL

Yep, definitely Cardinal eggs. Congrats!

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Cool! (your name sounds Dutch, are you? I'm Dutch, my name is Froukje Akkerman)
I've been sneaking around that tree trying not to freak out the parents! I'm so excited!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Good catch, my name is Dutch, by way of Germany, which is where my dad is from. I'm (mostly) American, having been born in Nicaragua, but raised in the States by my American mom and German dad.

Guess you can say I'm a mixed breed ;)

I look forward to seeing some pics of those babies when they're fledged. I do love the cardinals!

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey, that's interesting! Some detour, huh? :) Spreek je ook Nederlands?

I hope the kids in the neighborhood don't find out about them. They're real rascalls and might grab the egg! Yikes!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

If you are in good standings with the neighborhood parents, you could alert them to the nest and egg to keep an eye on the kids.

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

The eggs have disappeared, but the parent birds are still around... Maybe they have made a new nest. I wonder if something ate the eggs....

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

YIKES!! snake?!?!?!??

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.