Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: Best Bread Dough Mixer for me

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 22, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 2, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6494573

HI...I am into breadmaking enough that I want to expand...but not to the HOBART level (HAHAHAHAHAHHA). I am looking at KitchenAid but don't know that I need such a powerhorse...as I am only making one loaf at a time. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

PS Up to now i am using my bread machine for making the dough...but it takes 2 hours and that is a big chunk out of my day...would like to process the dough faster...

Thanks again.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #6498973

The right mixer really depends on how much bread you plan to bake and whether you will be making 100% whole grain doughs.

I have a KitchenAid Pro-V. It can knead the dough for two loaves of whole grain bread (1 kg flour) if I have a fairly high hydration. That much flour in a stiff dough does make the motor heat up a bit. Since I tend to make breads with slow ripened doughs, I don't need to knead as much as with shorter, straight doughs. The gluten develops (as does the flavour and nutrition) during the slow bulk fermentation of the first rise.

Here are links to some mixer discussions from The Fresh Loaf:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/11648/stand-mixers-and-bread-baking-20th-amp-21st-centuries

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/11422/kitchenaid

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/11735/hobart-vs-electrolux-vs-bosch

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/7661/kitchenaid-mixers-hobart-vs-quotthe-current-onesquot
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 3, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6499088

Thanks so much.!!! Really won't do more than 1 or 2 loaves at a time...rye/whole/wheat...probably need something strong...

Will check out your links. My friend has a Hobart but that is a bit rich for me!!!!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6499843

We eat two "loaves" a week, made from ~1 kg of flour. That's about 1 lb of flour per loaf. I often make a large hearth loaf instead of two boules or sandwich loaves.

I'm still experimenting with recipes to find "our" daily bread recipe. We really like the taste of whole grain spelt flour. This weeks bake was 700g KA white whole wheat flour and 300 g whole spelt flour. I think I overproofed the dough, so the rise was not as high as I usually get. The flavour is still wonderful and the crumb is nice despite being denser than intended.

We like the taste of breads made with higher hydration doughs rather than the stiff doughs, so my KitchenAid is doing fine with 1 kg of whole grain flour even though I have one of the newer ones made by Whirlpool instead of the older ones made by Hobart. The newer KitchenAids seem to all have the spiral dough hook as a standard item. Mine has the older C-hook design. One day I may order the spiral dough hook to see if it makes any noticeable difference.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6500165

Hmmmm I will experiment with Spelt and Rye and Whole Wheat... We like a denser loaf...not fluffy with alot of air. I have SO MUCH to learn. Hydration doughs? It's a whole new world...

PS...I am giving Bokashi Workshops with the EM distributor here...nothing like a little knowledge... But I am still learning a lot!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #6500678

So do I dare mention to you that you can add a little EM to the bread dough?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6500701

Really? Does it make the yeast go bonkers?

I actually drink some everyday...about 1T (or a swallow). It is wonderful for digestion, alkilinizing (sp?) the body etc. -

Actually sprayed my dog with it after she rolled in a dead frog...no smell.

Stuff is really cool!!!!!

Carol
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
6:12 AM

Post #6500723

EM Eric had mentioned that he used it in his sourdough starter. I'm currently making a new batch of sourdough starter using the pineapple juice method described on the Fresh Loaf site. When I locate some malt powder, I will try making the starter described on the EM America site:

http://www.emamerica.com/raw-food-recipes-with-em1/348-making-sourdough-effective-microorganisms

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #6500985

Has anyone used a MagiMix? It has a bread dough paddle and I've used it for the Five Minute a Day Artisan Bread before I realized that a wooden spoon worked just as well with that wet dough. It's expensive but has a very powerful motor, and mine also has a juice extractor function.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6502313

If you're only going to be making 1-2 loaves of bread at a time, I honestly think a bread dough machine is the way to go. It costs much less than a high-quality stand mixer.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 4, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6502598

I have a bread machine now, and am using it to make the dough. Problem is...the dough setting takes 2 hours!!!! and it is hard to be anywhere in one place for 2 hours!!! I suppose I shall just deal with that...perhaps I can cut that down by cutting out the 'pre-warm' as I put the water in warm...

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Carol
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6503243

Can I assume that the dough setting means the first rising period (also known as bulk fermentation)? Can you set it for a longer time? If so, you can reduce the amount of yeast used in the recipe and make the first rise longer to accomodate your schedule.
I've adapted my bread to a 12 hour bulk fermentation. I make the dough the night before, then shape, proof and bake in the morning after breakfast.

Our stand mixer is used for many things, not just bread.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 5, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #6505990

Heavens!!! So much to learn.

My machine is very basic: 1/2 hour to warm the mix and then 1 1/2 hours to mix and end up on the second rise. don't know that I can change that unless I hover over it. I can cut out the 1/2 hour to warm up...will experiment.

GM...thank you so much for all your help and your good information!!!

Carol
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6523757

Aloha Carol!

I use my Cuisinart to mix and knead my bread dough. It's really easy and takes only a few minutes...then it's put on the lanai, covered, to rise - or sometimes in the fridge if I have to go somewhere so that it will rise slower...Usually it takes only an hour from raw ingredients to punch down after the first rise with our warm temps, shape and second rise is usually only about half an hour or so...:-)

Edited to add Cuisinart FOOD PROCESSOR!

This message was edited May 9, 2009 6:04 AM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6614727

I apologize if this question has already been covered in the thread...

If a recipe's first step reads:

Quoting:1) In a bread machine pan, place the first 7 ingredients. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).

and then you finish by baking in the oven what exactly is happening in the bread machine on the dough setting? just rising? how can this step be done by hand? i've had a bread machine, not a fan.

TIA.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6616295

Hi Tia... Well, on Dough setting my machine mixes and kneads it and lets it rise twice. If you keep watching it knead as you add the water, you will be able to control the amt. of moisure. My directions just say to put it all in at once.

After the first rise, I take out the dough...work it a bit on a floured surface (4 or 5 times) and add any flour it might need in case it is too wet.

I then cut it in half and let rise, either on a towel or in a bread pan, I like long hand crafted looking loaves. I bake them in the pan OR on two unglazed floor tiles. I am finally NOT afraid of bread...you can really mess up and fake a recovery and the bread knows.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6617776

thanks aloha!

yes i prefer the homebaked look myself :) hence getting rid of my bread machine.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6617940

Not keeping it to do the kneading?
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6618280

to bake the bread.
BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6623531

Here is my first Pullman Loaf (in my new pan). Mixed the dough on "dough setting" in a bread machine than put the dough in the pan for the second rise.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6623534

Here's the first slices

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6624597

Quite respectable!!!! Nice looking loaf...
BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2009
8:15 AM

Post #6625200

Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America