-
AuthorContent
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6495405

I thought it would be nice to post pictures of our fish friends now that they are all out of hiding!

I took this one tonight after finally getting my flash to work.
All is calm!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6495417

Then they realized that it was feeding time. Mad frenzie!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 7, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6515574

What great photos!
lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

May 11, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6531821

Better yet, what clear water you have there. It appears to me that it's not very deep. I made my pond about 5 ft deep at the deepest point and about 1 1/2 ft at the shallow end. I have rocks blocking off most of the shallow end and I have pocket plantings of water plants located there. I think I would have been able to see the fish better if I had made more of it shallow. My pond is pretty big but it's not very pretty right now! I just started putting some plants around the outside areas and really need alot more ferns, La. Irises, hostas, elephant ears, banana trees, and so forth to make it really tropical looking. LOL I placed some rocks and stuff in a big pile to make a waterfall, it's ok, but not what I really had in mind.

Happy Gardening and Ponding,
Marian
Hopefully in a couple of months some of my plantings will start to fill in a little better. Should hide the waterhose so no one can see it. I have tons more work to do on it but it is coming along so so.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6531978

I think your pond looks fantastic. As for the fish, once they learn to trust the one that feeds them, they will come to the surface more often. Mine now make a b-line to the side of the pond once they hear the sliding glass door slide open. They are always waiting for a hand out. I only feed them once a day but they beg anyway! I like them to eat things in their habitat as mcuh as possible. They do follow me as I walk around the pond. Sometimes I just mess with them and do a quick about face and walk in the opposite direction. Messing with their little minds..but fun to watch!
My pond has a flat boggy area that goes from just a few inches deep to 4 ft in the deep end. Clear water has been a challege these past few weeks. I am trying to only use clarifier as to not kill the tadpoles. The algae is not being removed as the tadpoles need it.(if they survive) I think the koi are snacking on most.
Here is a newer picture of more of my gang. Water clarity not so good now.
20 fish in this shot. I think I two missed the photo shoot!

This message was edited May 10, 2009 7:31 PM

Thumbnail by BeaHive

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

May 12, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6536395

Oh I yearn for clear water! Great photos!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2009

Post #6563213

One of my blue koi posed for the camera tonight.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2009

Post #6563217

And a few of his friends

Thumbnail by BeaHive

tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6570049

Oh Bea Hive, how pretty your Koi :) I just love the blue one! I 've only see pictures of them tho :( Did you buy yours locally? I met with the tanker truck from ARK. last week and bought some lemon, orange, orange and black, and white w/ red markings. I purchased 14 of them :) I was not going to do that as we had such a harsh, cold, lots of snow winter! I found that all my Koi were dead, frozen! I at first only saw the few hundred bullheads first tho. I would have to walk out into the pond, at least 4 ft. deep, then I use a hula hoop, tied with string to put their food in, as the darn herons are always there as the wind would blow their food to the edges of the pond :( I would love to have them near me, but just the thought of another slaughter, I will just keep them as far and safe as I can! We even made holes in the ice, but it did not help my poor fish :(
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6570145

tootsie, sorry to hear about the loss of your koi. Do you have a nautural pond or a man made pond?
I have a 3200 gal man made and it runs 24/7. We had some freezing this winter so I put in a deicer on the really bad days. I imagine in MI you have a lot of very cold weather and this might not be possible. Your pond may need to be deeper to prevent the whole thing from freezing. Maybe someone in you cliamte zone can chime in with suggestions for next winter. It is a shame when they die.

My blue fish came in a lot of 15 babies I purchased online2 years ago. I was fortunate to get 4. I think it was a place in TN.
tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6573185

WOW, I only ordered from a Drs. smith and ?? for Koi, they came alright the very next day and the poor things were all dead :( I hurried up and called them, and the darn gal that answered the phone kept telling me to just calm down and just watch the fish, as they are going to come back and be as good as can be!! Sure they are only if they are going to Koi heaven!!! I told her that they had run out of air in the container!! There were so many little bubbles comming from their little mouths, they did not have enought air in the bag :( Finally, she said ok, we will send them again, and sure enough, that batch was dead also! That did it for me, those beautiful fish all dead, just made me sick :;
My pond is about 118 ft. X 80 ft. and 16 ft. deep and the deep end! I believe there were so many of those bullheads in there I did not know !

Thumbnail by tootsie

tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6573197

Well, Geezzzzzzzzzz, I am sorry, that for sure is not a picture of my pond!! It is a picture of the lagoon and river all jammed up with the ice from this winter :( Down from us ppl had so much of that ice go right up and into their homes, what a big mess that was!! Lucky for us the water was down, the ice only came so far, it did pull up the boat ladder, but everyone else had their docks all ripped off from the ice :( Now I think I have a pic of my pond :)

Thumbnail by tootsie

tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6573202

Just one more.

Thumbnail by tootsie

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6573263

Boy..when I first saw that ice in the first picture I thought wow how could anything survive with those chunks of ice. Your pond looks very nice. It is hard to tell the size so hard to tell why it all froze.
Anyway, I looked through my files for the place the blue fish came from. I purchase the 3" package of 20 fish which I think is priced fairly. They all arrived very well packed and alive. Some have died from that batch but 1 still have 11 of the original 20 . I have found a lady here in town who sells Koi for $2-$4 a piece. They are small but they will grow. She does not ship however.
http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/Normal-Fin-Koi
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

May 20, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6575799

i got mine from a local petstore PETSMART they get the butterfly koi in i got a couple of them need to get more here is my pond

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6576648

BlondHMF...What a great waterfall (for a state with no rocks!) You must have discovered Pebble Junction! Are you a member of the Orlando Koi club? I'm thinking about becoming a member. Last year they had a tour of local members ponds, it was fantastic!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

May 21, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6577038

no i am not could you give me what information you can.
thanks
debi
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6624623

The Koi are happy now that the pond muck is cleaned up and the water is clearing. And of course the sun has been shinning for two weeks!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6624630

Playing follow the leader

Thumbnail by BeaHive

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 1, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6624694

Still jealous of that clear water.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6624730

Took a lot of work this year. Knocked over a water lily when I was in the pond yesterday trimming the plants. Thank goodness only the gravel spilled and not the soil after all this hard owrk. Scooped up most of the gravel an all was good this morning. It is been so warm, I pray it will stay clear.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 1, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #6625003

I know what hard work it is to keep the water clear. We will be putting a cover back up over our pond and then we'll have clear water once again.
lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

June 2, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6629084

I'm jealous of the clear water too. Mine has never been clear with the exception of the first week or so I filled it. The fish don't seem to mind it but I sure don't get to see them as good as I'd like to. Looks to me like I'm going to have to make an addition to my new pond and enlarge the shallow area in order to see them.

Yesterday I did get them to actually come up and eat out of my hand. It was really neat, but as soon as the food started to float out of my hand they didn't really come back to it. Must continue training them I suppose. If they are hungry enough they will gobble the food all the way up in my hand.

They sure are fun to watch while they are eatting.

Happy ponding, Marian
lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

June 2, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6629124

I don't know if this is one you can see some of the fish in or not. Hopefully it will be! I need clear water like you have BEA.

Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris

lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

June 2, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6629142

Well somewhere I do have a couple of good shots with the fish in it. Let me keep trying. LOL

Thumbnail by lovelyiris

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6629153

lovelyiris. I can see a few in those photo's . They look big, but it always hard to tell in a photo.

This one shows the frog hiding from the Koi and me!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

June 2, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6629167

This pond has about 50 Koi in it. Maybe I should just get hubby to take some photos of me hand feeding them in a day or two. That way the will all come up and really be a sight to see. Most of my fish are a ft or longer in length.
Let me see if I can find one that we can actually see the fish. I'm horrible at this just bear with me.
Marian

I can't find any good photos.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6629173

Marian..you are doing great Would love to see you hand feeding the koi if you can arrange it with the hubby! Wonderful!
lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

June 2, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6629202

I saw a post on some pond site with them feeding the fish from their hand and who ever it was told me it wasn't hard to do so I tried it. I was thinking it was you that showed me the picture of the fish eatting out of your hand. It's not that hard if they are hungry they almost attack you for the food. LOL Yesterday was the very first time I've tried it but I don't think it should be a problem to continue doing it and getting the fish use to me.

I love the picture with the frog in it. I don't know if it's because the frog is closer or what but it looks almost as big as the fish. At least if it is close to the same size the fish can't eat it or bite on it.

I love my frogs as much if not more than the fish. We go to bed each night with them croaking and talking to one another. It's like music to my ears, but the frogs down at the big stock pond will keep you awake all night long when your outside. They are so loud it's unreal! It too sounds like music, but one can only stand so much of a good thing when your talking about 1000's of frogs down there.

Thank you for your kind words. I'll try to get the photos tomorrow of hand feeding the Koi.
Marian
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6629273

There was a nice article in DG newsletter 6/1/09 about Koi written by Susanne Talbert (art_n_garden).. She has included the picture you are talking about of me hand feeding my koi. It's fun!
Here is a link to the article
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2403/
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6629308

Waiting for a handout!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

June 2, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6630671

hi there kinda new to the pond thing just wanted to know beahive what is that feathery dark green plant in there i like that
debi
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6630707

Hi Debi. That is called parrots feather. It is a great plant for the koi. They love to eat it and keeps them away from the lilies and other expensive plants. Keep part of it out of reach of the fish and you can rotate it as it growns so you always have some. May grow better in your area with your warm climate.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

June 2, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6631039

i am going to have to find me some i think they will like that, i too like my frogs and am fighting with clearing the pond my neighbor is a plumber and put a pool filter on it and it seems to help, but now i need a new one, and it sometimes sucks up a few tadpoles, or crawdads, but it stays fairly clear debi

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America