Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Canna bulbs look dry!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 2, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bilbo

(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2001
11:38 PM

Post #1493

This was our first year growing cannas; and I just fell in love with these plants. They took everything that Oklahoma could throw at them and kept on blooming! I dug most of the tubers (left a few - well mulched- next to the house) and stored them in brown paper bags in a basement. I checked on them last week and the look dry and shriveled! Are they still viable? Any help appreciated!

Becky G.
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2001
11:47 PM

Post #52862

Hi Bilbo,
I grew for years Canna, the President. They are supposed to be stored in a cool place in peaty soil, or somewhere cool. We always had them in the front part of an unheated basement space. Because they always had some moisture and the coolness of the area, they never shriveled up. With zone 6, you are not that far away from planting them in the Spring. I would soak them in a little warm water, then place in some slightly damp peat moss. Even if they start growing in the house, it will be ok when the time comes to plant them. Mine sometimes started growing in the cold area and had stems/eyes about 1 foot. It may save the bulbs and they still may be viable. I would certainly try..they are tough plants, as you found out. Good luck :)
Trish
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2001
6:35 PM

Post #53469

I've grown canna here in Zone 6 for years. I dig them up in late fall and put in grocery bags. As dry as they look the following spring, I just plant them again after frost and they come back double. Believe me, if they could be killed I am the one to do it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America