Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Self-contained Box Gardens: My First Stacker and Some More Garden Stuff

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 4, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6498354

Just finished planting the first of my two stackers.

Check out this thread for pics of what's happening in my vegetable garden.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/983424/

It's been a long haul since last September when I started fencing in my garden. Hopefully I'll be ahead of the curve by Fall or next Spring.

Jerry

This message was edited May 3, 2009 4:13 PM

This message was edited May 3, 2009 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 4, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6499934

Everything is looking good, Jerry. When you get into gardening, you go whole hog dont you? What do you have planted in the stackers?
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6500107

Hey Jay, I growed up in dirt and flowers and veggies. It's in th blood!

This stacker has some marigolds planted down low, globe amaranth up top, and the rest in between are wild flowers I started from seed that came from in the mail from the WildFlower Farm in FBurg. Oh, there is one store bought Alyssum in the stacker...everything else I grew from seed.

The other stacker will contain the pink and the purple Laura Bush petunias I grew from seed which also came from the Wildflower Farm and there will be a few store bought herbs.

Whole Hog...Well, you are one to talking.LOL I've see the pictures of your mega stacker gardens.

Jerry
Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 4, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6500481

Great minds run in the same circles...or some such thing. Check your wildseed farm booklet for african daisy, baby blue eyes, birds eyes, bachelor's button, five spot, sweet alyssum, and tidy tips. All plants growing in my grow poles from seed bought from wildseed farm. All direct seeded in a grow pole or winter sowed with my patented jaywhacker's juggerator system. Forgot to mention Chives, I just poke them in hither and yon. I cant always remember what plant I poked into which grow pole any more. Oh yeah...forgot to mention the sunflower that volunteered in the top pot of one stack and I have transplanted another one to the top pot of another stack. I have a total of 7 sunflowers...volunteers from some I planted last year. If you wont continuous color around a garden, plant sunflowers successively. They are day neutral and will bloom about 60 days from planting. Just for kicks, I have thought about planting all 16 sites on one of my 4 pot poles with the shorter "teddy bear" sun flowers. Now that would be a blast of color!!

You can pull a sucker or two off of your tomato's and stick them in your stacker pots and join Bob and I in experimenting with them. Put them in one of the upper pots so their roots can run down from pot to pot through the drain holes. Out of curiosity, how many gallons of grow mix does those pots hold. That is a good stout looking pole you have them mounted on. This Texas wind shouldn't be able to move that.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2009
7:33 AM

Post #6500802

The pole is a rail from a cyclone fence, a good tight fit for the stackers. I drilled a hole thru an 8" stump cut at ground level. The pole had to be driven in with a sledge hammer. It's there for life!

I didn't measure the soil since I just shoveled it in. I buy Gardenville's bulk Rose mix because I like the way it drains and yet holds enough moisture to grow plants that don't like wet feet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America