Photo by Melody

Self-contained Box Gardens: need help with making conduit trellis for EB tomatos

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 8, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
myezek
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6498870

Several weeks ago I saw directions and pictures of a trellis for EBs that used conduit and a wooden base. For the life of me I can't find it! I've searched the forum using 'conduit' and 'trellis' but stilll can't locate it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Marilyn

P.S. You guys are great, I've learned a lot reading your posts. DH and I have built 3 HEBs so far. If the weather cooperates tomorrow we'll make 2 E buckets. Going to compare tomatoes grown in the HEBs, the E buckets and a real official Earthbox. It's got to work better that the whiskey barrels that always dry out.
Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6501800

I created mine using 1/2" conduit and 1/2" F/F Inline connectors. I'll attach a series of pictures. Using a pipe bender I created little curves 10 of them over a 12" area to make the long sweeping curve in the trellis. I used single hole ring binders from Staples to attach the netting to the trellis support for easy removal. I did not cut the sides of the netting. I hung the netting lengthwise starting from the top, attached it and the cut the bottom once I had the right size. I cut about 11 inches off each 10" section with a hacksaw as the additional foot would have made them too tall for me to reach the top.

Each Trellis:
2 10ft. 1/2" Conduit
1 - 1/2" F/F Inline connector
Trellis Netting
2 - 1/2" x 48" Rebar
Single hole ring binders (Staples)

Thumbnail by Qinx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6501807

After bending the poles I attached them at the top center with an inline coupler.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6501816

I drove two 48" long 1/2" round rebar about 1/2 way into the ground and slid the conduit over the rebar

Thumbnail by Qinx

Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6501823

I finished painting them

Thumbnail by Qinx

Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6501826

Then I attached the netting with the rings.

Thumbnail by Qinx

Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6501847

Instead of bending the pipe, you could also get 90 degree connectors and just make them square. Cut the top piece to the width required for your area. That would eliminate the need for bending the pipe.

Good luck!
myezek
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6504012

Thanks! I love the paint colors. Is there a reason or just artistic?
Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6506431

Galvanized conduit isn't that attractive. Being painted, they do seem a little cooler to the touch in the sun. But the main reason is they just look better than plain metal. The other trellis I created was from copper tubing. We'll let it turn green and copper in the weather.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 18 May 10, 2013 2:47 AM
My EB garden (and more) BocaBob 121 Dec 11, 2008 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America