Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: Carnage in my tulip beds

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6501307

I have a large new hosta garden in which I planted many bulbs. It's totally discouraging to witness the carnage of my tulip bulbs by my local squirrels.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6501312

Two more buds hit the dirt.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6501319

More buds nipped right off and STREWN across the garden to add insult to the injury.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6501324

A clump of tulips showing FOUR shorn stems. No, make that FIVE!

This message was edited May 4, 2009 8:38 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6501327

They got most of these too.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6501331

And these

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6501337

A daffodil mourns its lost friend.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6501340

And this entire clump is gone.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6501348

I DID have a few lovely blooms yesterday. Wonder if they are still there today.

I'm about to mix up a potent solution of garlic and hot peppers and spray them all well, but it's too late for most of them. Would be tempted to start trapping the squirrels.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6501539

dumb question, are you sure it's squirrels and not kids?

when we lived in the city years ago, the kid next door used to reach thru the fence and pull the flower heads off the plants in the garden.

I caught him at it one day, and told his grandmother... he stayed away from the garden after that, lol.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6502102

The kids on the street are pretty good and it happens each year.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6502316

Ann how horrible...you wait all winter long to enjoy and now this...
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 4, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6503227

Ann - how terrible! Rotten squirrel; or as dahlianut calls them "Tree Rats."

I was wondering - have you thought about leaving them some food to see if they'll take that instead? I've noticed that my crocuses have not been touched again since the first round of carnage a few weeks ago because (I'm assuming) the squirrel discovered recently how to get at the sunflower birdfeeder I have hanging off the fence. This could be totally wrong of course, just a thought...

Joanne
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6503339

Sunflower seeds are certainly the preferred food of squirrels here. I can confirm that squirrels and chipmunks fed on sunflower seeds show no inclination to touch crocuses or tulips or any other plant. In my garden it's deer and rabbits that do all the damage, and most of my tulips are browsed before they have a chance to bloom. Trapping and removing wildlife is useless, as more animals move in as soon as the original occupants are gone. I recommend planting poisonous bulbs, like daffodils and colchicum, or smelly ones, like fritillarias.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6503402

I think more daffodils is the answer. But Ottawa is supposed to be a big tulip city. We DO have a large tulip festival, after all. However, the daffodils multiply better and last longer in the garden. And the varmints don't touch them.

I don't think the squirrels are really hungry. They never eat what they bite off.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6504399

My damage was always rabbits also. Had a fantastic rabbit-hunting large orange cat and that helped tremendously for saving the tulips. They never touched the daffs, don't like them. The squirrels stayed in the front of hte house and the park across the street and never touched the tulips out front.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6507198

Ann how sad. Are those hybrid tulips? Maybe try species? I have no problems with squirrels ( maybe that has something to do with the dogs?) but I only have species tulips. And I have lots and lots of daffodils! Also I find the hybrids simply dont last very long and dont multiply - at least out here!
I remember the tulips displays in Ottawa every year but of course those bulbs are dug up every year too and new bulbs are sent from Netherlands.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6507242

Fancy - I've got both hybrid and species. The squirrels in my yard don't seem to care.

Re the beds in Ottawa, apparently if you know when and don't care what colour tulips you get, you can visit the compost bins at the Experimental Farm and help yourself after the season. I find my hybrids don't last too long either - not unless I've decided I don't like them. But I put in new ones every few years.
April4ON
Hawkesbury, ON
(Zone 4b)

May 7, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6516249

Viola have you tried spreading some human hair around your bulbs? I get clippings from my hair dresser and spread it around where I plant my bulbs. It seems to keep the mice from coming into the house in the fall as well. My hair dresser spreads it around her cedars to keep the deer from eating them. Now the one place I wish I could put the hair I can't. I would like to put it in my air intake to stop the squirrels from building a nest in my truck. The mec removed a nest of critters yesterday after II tried for days to figure out what was causing the bad smell.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6528346

April4On - wonderful suggestion re: hair. I'd heard this works terribly well, and I'm going to mention this to our UCW ladies to help get rid of the rabbits in the flower bed, and mice in the church lol
Thanks for the heads-up/reminder!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America