Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Peerless Peonies: when to plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Peerless Peonies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Peerless PeoniesReplies: 1, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6501403

My understanding is that, as you say, peonies should be planted in the fall. However, the big stores like Home Depot and so on sell them in the spring! I couldn't resist last year and bought one in the spring, but on DG Peony Forum's advice, I kept it all summer and planted what looked like a half-dead plant in the fall, and forgot all about it. (When it didn't emerge this spring, I decided next time I would plant right away, no matter what kind of advice I got.)

Then last week, I saw the rosy-green shoots poking up! Perfect timing on your article, and thank you. I should have known better than to doubt DG advice!!! Now I need one of those supports. Thank you, Toni!
treehug
San Jose, CA

May 4, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6504553

Rather than buy a special peony support, I just cut off the bottom ring of a cheap tomato cage and place it around the bud eyes when they first appear. Works fine for me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Peerless Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great reminders! davis1676 1 May 4, 2009 1:18 PM
Peonies in North Texas ival 6 May 5, 2009 3:03 AM
japanese hybrid tree peony oscarr 3 May 6, 2009 1:40 AM
Leaves blackening? flowerfantasy 0 May 4, 2009 11:12 PM
Peonies trees geneknight 1 May 11, 2012 4:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America