Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Feeding the Hummers

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6502066

The Columbines are blooming so the Hummingbirds should be here soon.
Time to get the feeders out, sterilized and filled.

For first feedings a 4/1 water to sugar (cane) mixture seems to be best.
After they find the feeders and the season progresses switch to a 5 or 6/1 mix.
Don't worry about commercial mixes.
Just boil the water and regular sugar for a few minutes and they like it just fine.
We use filtered water only.
NO RED DYE!
Tap water has chlorine, fluoride and a few other little additives... can't say they'd hurt the Hummers but...
if I don't drink it neither do they!

Ric
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6504119

Thanks, ric. Always fun waiting and watching for their arrival.

We have had ours for ten days now. Coming and going into the woods and to the (6) feeders.

Bought a 'Major Wheeler Honeysuckle' from e-bay last week and it are supposed to be 'the best' for the little hummers.

Also started some Tithonias, LIatris, Verbena Bonarienses, etc. to go with my other HB plants and vines.

We love the sweet little things. Good entertainment for those hot summer nights.

Some FAQs from Hummingbird.net for those who want to know more: http://www.hummingbirds.net/faq.html

And the Hummingbird Migration Map: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

I believe everybody can attract them if they have some of their favorite plants (red tubular flowers mostly).

Happy spring. t.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6509452

I just saw the first hummingbird of the season a couple of minutes ago, a little ruby-throated male enjoying our iris blooms. And he buzzed right past my head, enough I would have been plenty startled had I not seen him coming.

I need to get the feeders cleaned and put out. We use regular tap water - we do drink ours. ;)

They love foxglove and it's fun seeing them go from bell to bell. We only had one foxglove come up for us this spring, though. Drat. They like the lantana and impatiens, though, so we're good.

This message was edited May 6, 2009 1:13 AM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6510436

For some reason they don't usually appear here until later in the season.
But once the Mimosa starts blooming we see dozens.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America