Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Peerless Peonies: japanese hybrid tree peony

Communities > Forums > Article: Peerless Peonies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Peerless PeoniesReplies: 3, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oscarr
Bowie, MD

May 4, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6502770

How and when is the appropriate time to prune these?
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6502964

You can prune them down after they finish blooming, if you wish...or leave the foliage until it begins to turn brown.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6502977

Sorry, I didn't see that your subject is tree peonies.

I don't have that information, but I'm sure one of our other experts will pick up your question.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6510216

Hi Oscarr--Toni asked me to respond to your question about pruning tree peonies. It's generally a good idea to let a tree peony do its thing the first few years after planting. In about the third year you can begin to consider a pruning program. Has the growth become quite dense? If so, you may want to cut out extra growth in the interior. Select the strongest branches (six or so toward the outside) as the ones to become the major stems of the plant and prune away the rest. The peony will then be able to concentrate its strength on flowering in its main branches, as opposed to continuing production of exuberant leaf growth. Opening up the interior will also reduce chances for fungus growth, letting more light and air circulate through the plant. Some oriental gardeners prefer to have the woody stems showing around the peony's base. If you think you'd like that look, you can prune out leaf buds on the remaining branches low to the ground. Be sure to make clean cuts right next to the stem without leaving a stub. Happy Gardening! Larry☼

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Peerless Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great reminders! davis1676 1 May 4, 2009 1:18 PM
Peonies in North Texas ival 6 May 5, 2009 3:03 AM
when to plant carrielamont 1 May 4, 2009 11:52 PM
Leaves blackening? flowerfantasy 0 May 4, 2009 11:12 PM
Peonies trees geneknight 1 May 11, 2012 4:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America