Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: help.. we found tadpoles in the pond. !

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 82, Views: 631
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6506500

we have a 800 gallon pond with a 7 foot cascading waterfall that travels down through several 30 gallon pools.. the waterfall is off in the winter. I cleaned most of the debris out of the pools last month, there are some floating plants and algae on the sides of the plastic liner. Well, we do have two green frogs in the pond. we put one in last year and it wintered over. the second is small and just showed up - we noticed him/her early this spring. the waterfall was off and stagnant all winter. and other than flushing it with a hose a few gallons a day early last month, it is still stagnant. Just before draining the large waterfall pool for cleaning I noticed a lot of semi submerged black debris. when I reached in to pull some clumps of debris from the bottom, the specs moved. I am assuming tadpoles as they are not much larger than 1/4 inch and I have not removed any to identify them as crawdad babies (do they swim) or insect larvae.. - we have crawdads as well. Either way hoping for tadpoles, how do you care for them? pump/filter is 1500 gph - can't run the waterfall, (it runs around 100 gph) if it washes them out, they won't survive the pump. all the goldfish were eaten by a great heron three weeks ago ( we caught him with the last one hanging out of his mouth) - currently no fish in the pond-

How do we raise tadpoles?
hmmm.. sorry about the length - i wanted to get the whole scenerio in. -joe-

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6506576

I don't know about the tadpoles, but I am in the process of redoing my pond. I would like to see a picture of yours for ideas.
Thanks,
Bernie
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6506870

i will put some pictures up tomrrow.. it's a natural style pond.. a lot of plants from a local pond. craw dads and a frog from the marsh. but they love it.

-joe-.
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6511878

pond edge

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6511887

front view . we started building 2-3 years back.. pertly do to finances, partly due to fun - all the plants except grasses are from seed...

Thumbnail by jjconcepts

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6511899

the waterfall.. we are building up the right side this rear. there is the 15 x 25 garden back here. there are two humps just past the waterfall, under them are several layers of carpet and plastic to walk across to the veggies..

Thumbnail by jjconcepts

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6511911

again, a work in progress, we are growing sedum inside to plant insude the cinder blocks around the waterfall, for now we surround it with the potted plants thar wintered indoors.. not out yet.. th the distance in the early corn, potato, and carrots - corn under the squirrel net ..

Thumbnail by jjconcepts

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6511919

the frogs are in there to the bottom left.. camera phone can't get the resolution, but you can just make them out.

Thumbnail by jjconcepts

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6512549

That's so exciting! I've had tadpoles in our little pond when it was completely neglected. Mostly what they need is a natural environment. Water and some decomposing stuff in there, like leaves... Some plants will help too, for shade, and food... You've got that. I think you're set. Only thing: make sure that when you add water to the pond it has no chlorine in it. Sometimes our drinking water has chemicals that can hurt frogs and their offspring. What I do is I fill a large trashcan with water, let it sit in direct sunlight (central florida sun; very hot) and let the bad stuff evaporate. After a couple of days, I use a bucket to add the water to the pond. Your situation is different of course, but I'm just letting you know! Good luck! Enjoy!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6512699

thanks.. they are getting a little bigger, not just specs anymore.. it looks like i may have crawdad larvae as well, but best I can tell - lack of images of crawfish babies online - but it seems mayfly larvae are similar...hmm.. i will try to get some pics of the babies.. there are 2-3 different ones in the pond.. it's a first and yes - very exciting to know we are gradually getting a pond instead of a pool..

thanks
-joe-
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6512714

Pretty coincidental that right after I responded to you, I found some jellatinous stuff in my pond with black dots in it. Is that how tadpoles get their start? Or is this something else that I should be concerned about/ remove?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6512772

I think they're frog eggs- that's so exciting! Such a coincidence, really! I heard them at my pond yesterday, but they've been in and out. Here's a picture

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6512786

that is what i had found at first .. that is an some kind of egg, i am not sure what you are working with, but mine were in an upper pond, i shut down in winter.. I saw the eggs and put off starting the waterfall about two weeks ago and the water is still standing still .. now they are swimming around - you won't even notice them except in the sunlight only 1/4 inch long - they barely move around until the water is disturbed... let it sit a week or so - if there are black dots, you have something fertilized.. mayflies lay eggs in water, but I don't know what they look like..

let me know what you get!

-joe-
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009

Post #6512791

a closeup. I wonder what predators might be a danger to them?

Thumbnail by flowerehj

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6512803

Joe- I'm curious to see your pics of the babies!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6512807

that's them.. try taking some out so nobody eats them - i put some in a pickle jar - with water from the pond.. they are doing fine.. fish will eat eggs..

awesome..

hope they are frogs.. either way

congratulations
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6512812

i will try to get some tonight.

-joe-
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6512818

I have no fish. So good hopes for frogs to survive- if they are frogs, haha! Thanks! I've been trying to make my pond into a little frog retreat. Some nights they come, some nights they don't. I have tons of mosquito larvae in there, though. I'm hoping that the tadpoles eat the small ones. The tadpoles need still water, and I didn't want to run a pump or anything anyways. Good idea to take some out. did you close the pickle jar? I'm always a little concerned about water temp: small bits of water heat up to a ridiculous temp here in FL. The pond is more balanced, since it has more water. Ah, well, we'll see. TTYL!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6512926

left the jar open on the kitchen counter most of the babies i left in the pond, actually some are going into a frog rearing kit i got for my daughter at christmas.. we've been waiting for it to be warm enough to order tadpoles.. pretty much a fish tank with a magnifyer on top.. I am surprised you can't get frogs to stay.. my pond is between the vegetable gardens, there is 3 inches of hay in the backof the pond , for the milkweed and butterfly bush - as mulch. i find the frogs in the hay sometimes in the summer and winter..they can be hard to spot.. you may have some frogs in there. or get larger tadpoles from the pet store if these don't work out. some frogs live in the marshes and visit the water at nights.. try hay or straw... might work..

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6513737

I just judge if there are frogs out there by the sounds. They may be around when I don't see them. My pond is in renovation stage and there is currently little foliage or rock for them to hide under. So I totally understand that they're waiting to get some more cover! Is the water warm enough when you leave the jar in the kitchen? How old's your daughter? She must be excited about your tadpoles!
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

May 7, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6514698

I raised these tree frogs with duckweed ( don't know if they ate any of the duckweed) and "Tetra" fish food for koi.

Good luck and take pictures!

This message was edited May 6, 2009 8:07 PM

Thumbnail by darlindeb

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6515445

Cool pic Deb! Personally I don't like to feed the tadpoles. I figure they have to make do with what's available in the wild :) Here's a pic of how the eggs changed in just 6 hours or so. (compared to pic posted above.) In the Florida hot sun.

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6516250

I love the pictures.. i use the cellphone camera.. having trouble getting a good pic, we haven't seen the sun in six days.. the rain will probably stop on sunday.. my daughter is 10.. she just hatched around 100 praying mantis.. I was out last night finding fruit flies for them to eat.
the tadpoles seem fine. we turned the heat off last month so the house stays around 65 -70. everyone is getting bigger although it seems we have tadpoles AND crawdad babies. I wonder who will eat who? . we picked up crawfish from a lake in upstate NY and put three in the pond last year. . we put duckweed in the pond last year as well, the frogs loved to stick their heads out of it.. looks like you may hatch by monday.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6517379

Overnight development of same batch of eggs

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6517481

that is amazing, you looked just in time.. so, they liked being indoors. . I am going to look into tadpole rearing kits.. see what food to give them as they grow..

that is a lot of tadpoles.. you should sell some when they get bigger.. maybe to the pet store. i don't have nearly that many at least i don't think so. hope many make it.. it is nice to have them around. keep sending pics

-joe-

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6517585

Hey Joe- they were outdoors the whole time. I took a little cup of the eggs just so I could follow them more closely. I now put them in a tiny tub (bigger than the cup but only about 5 times) that has a vivaporous water lily leaf in it, that is growing into a baby water lily. I just figured they would have a better chance of finding food. There's also mosquito in there, in all sizes, including some so tiny I think the tadpoles might be able to eat them. Also another bug is in there. Can you i.d. this bug? It's a baby like the mosquito and tadpoles, but it moves and looks quite different.

Thumbnail by flowerehj

mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6517605

HOW TO RAISE TADPOLES

1) Build Pond
2) Get out of the way

Thank you very much.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6517627

Right on! haha!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6517654

that is a water beetle... we get some in the summer.. amazing what is in there when you get in there and look...

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6517682

I think water beetles will eat tadpoles, I know they eat the mosquito..

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6517689

We have had tadpoles at various times in our pond. Both Green frogs and Southern Leopard frogs have reproduced in it, but I can't recall offhand the difference between the egg masses. When my granddaughter was small we put some tadpoles in a large white bowl and watched the metamorphosis, and then returned them to the pond. At other times frogs have arrived fully grown. Unfortunately our cat likes to sit by the pond and fish - er - frog; we are always sorry when that happens because we love to watch them. They need no extra care and are native to this area, so they just take advantage of a convenient body of water.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6517704

That's great! I guess your cat provides 'survival of the fittest' training around there! When you had the tadpoles in the bowl, did you provide any food for the tadpoles? And if yes, what? I like the no extra care thing- as I said, we had a bunch of tadpoles before when the pool was utterly neglected!
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6517768

Oh, water beetle eating the tadpoles-not so good! I gotta check it out. Thx!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6517871

dunno.. just hoping for a good tadpole turnout. I expect i will bring a few inside to raise and see if they stick around as frogs.. the rest will be on their own for the most part.. sprinkle in food and see what happens.. i am kinda looking forward to your daily pic of the frog motel.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6517924

I don't think we fed them anything; in fact I seem to recall that tadpoles don't actually have mouths, but subsist on the absorption of their tails while in that form.

The worst problem we had in our pond was a muskrat; it was during a cat-less period and we went out one morning to find all of our decorative plants neatly lopped off at water level, with the fronds floating lazily in the pond. It took considerable persistence and lots of lovely raw veggies to catch the perpetrator in a Hav-A-Hart trap, from whence we deported him.

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6519092

Muskrat? Gosh, I didn't know they were so destructive! I also read somewhere that tadpoles keep part of the egg slime inside their bellies and that they feed on that. Here is the newest picture from this evening. They're really skiddish. Is there any way I could post a little video here? Don't know how. The picture took some doing to get one that sharp. They keep swimming off, scared of the camera. Of course I had to get like within an inch of them or something, so no wonder. I got this camera that can do super macro for architecture. I never thought I'd be using it for these kinds of purposes! I love that I can see their eyes in the picture. I can't actually see them when I look at them, but the pic is so clear! So I would love to see some of all of your pictures!

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6520934

i don't think i've ever seen a muskrat.. you never know what comes around, especially at night. I pocked up a coop last night for our 5 hens.. going to be a busy weekend, but I will get some pics. you have a fantastic camera.. what kind is it? do you have a special lens on the front?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6523857

Olympus SP 500 UZ. It's just between a SLR and a slim camera. Not too bulky. But not small either. The lens is the one that comes with the camera- cannot be changed. I think they probably don't sell this anymore. It's already 'old'. But they probably make better ones now. Just look for macro, and super macro- check at what distance it still takes a sharp picture. An inch is about as good as you're gonna get, I think!

Pic is of tonight, and guess what? A new load of eggs in the pond today!

Thumbnail by flowerehj

Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6530121

I have literally hundreds of tadpoles each year (I have about 20 frogs). The pond and garden will only support so much so there are alot of casualties but I try not to interfere and let nature take its course. I don't feed them, they just live on what is naturally in the pond. It is very exciting to see the spawn hatch into a black mass of feeding tadpoles and to see them turn into froglets. Good luck with yours!
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6531515

You're right- and I'm trying to keep with that. I haven't fed them; basically all I've done is stare at them a lot! I figure there's plenty in the pond for them to eat, and if not; it is an indicator of what the habitat can support. They're growing really fast. I wouldn't be surprised if some started to show signs of legs tomorrow! Do you have pics galanthophile? Of the process? It's really exciting! I haven't been consistently at my house so I could never really keep track of anything this closely. It is so amazing to see the frogs grow!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6532917

I can't get pics of mine.. they are too small for my camera.. two more frogs showed up. now we have four the new ones are very small and fast - haven't identified them yey and hope they get along with the green frogs. . hmm. . tadpoles are doing well and starting to swim a lot more, the are spending a lot of time on the bottom as well instead of just floating around.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6534544

So glad I found this thread today.
Yesterday we discovered a bazillion tadpoles in the middle of my Mom's yard! They were in a couple of deep tire ruts filled with rainwater. We scooped some up to take home and now I don't know what to do with them.

My pond is only a week old and while it has some comet godlfish, nothing else (plants are not installed yet. I'm concerned that if I put them in the pond they will get eaten or have nothing to eat. So I really don't know what to do with them.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6534595

Hi Mrs. Ed! What I would do is to put them in a bucket with natural water (not from the tap), and put in some leaves, and other debris from the yard. I've been looking at them in my pond and they seem to be nibbling on all the stuff that falls in the pond from the trees above. When they get big enough (and they still seem quite small now) you have to 'help' them get out. Put in a ramp or something. If the water is a bit murky, and if there's debris and stuff, I think it's better for them than it being pristine. I don't know if your fish would eat the tadpoles. I think they might. Maybe someone else has better knowledge of that... :) Have fun! And congrats on your tad babies!
Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6534727

I'll try and get some pictures... they are now feeding near the surface and the edge so I should be able to manage some.
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6534821

comets and minnows will eat the tadpoles.. they are not too picky on food.. i've found that the tadpoles will go for the frozen bloodworm cubes from the pet store... not sure if they are eating them or playing with them.. kinda small still.. when you put them in a bucket, either partially submerge it in the pond or be sure to bring it somewhere cool. I left some outside (4 ) i had been watching grow, and it seems that i coked them, it was 70 degrees out but the water got to 95 on the bricks it was on.. still some in the pond though.. i will tell my daughter i put them back with their friends... good luck with yours G

-joe-

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6534857

Joe, do you know what kind of frog the tadpoles are? Because mine survived in ridiculously hot water temp. I had left them out in an inch worth of water in 100 degree weather. Full sun. They should have been fried. But they were ok. I returned them to the pond. Whenever I want a close look at any of them, I can scoop them right up. They're right by the surface. Mine are likely Cuban tree frogs. Do you ever hear them at night? I would love to hear the call of your frogs. That was the way I identified mine.

By the way- I found a snake in my pond! Do you guys know what it is? It doesn't really show interest in the tadpoles as far as I can tell...

Thumbnail by flowerehj

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6534869

Mommy frog? Keeps hanging out in the garden...

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6535069

we have green frogs. they usually don't call at night gets into upper 40's, still a little cool... i don't know that the tad poles were dead, water was warm and they were motionless, i checked the temp, and figured I should put them back in the pool.. maybe they are okay!. the snake is beautiful.. don't recognize him but you have different varieties down there.. i have a pic of our frogs, forgot the phone at home and will show you them tomorrow..

frogwatch.org/

this site isn't too bad to identify frogs. not sure what the small black frogs were... too fast to get a look at.
thanks for the photos...
-joe-
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6535228

either way not poisonous..

http://www.floridaadventuring.com/florida-snakes.html
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6535491

Thanks Joe! Great website. I totally got lost in all the options, haha! I'll try again tomorrow. You know that snake has been hanging out all day long and hasn't gone under! I showed the neighbor's kids, they were very excited! It is beautiful, but you know how it is; we fear what we don't know... so I just freaked out because I have no idea what it does! :)
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6535509

Today's update on tadpoles' growth:

Thumbnail by flowerehj

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6536614

eek! those are adorable! Ha. I can't see eyes on mine yet. So far they are still in the jar with the water they were in (in the ruts). there's also some mosquito larvae in there. joy. i dropped in a few pellets of fish food for now. I have a big black tub where my water plants are sitting right now to be replanted. Thought I might put them in there. until then, they are sitting on the table on the covered patio. All shade.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6536681

Not sure that's a snake...could be a legless lizard, skink, or glass snake... All very common in Florida. There are only 6 poisonous snakes in Florida, 3 of which are rattlers...so not much to worry about... :)
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6536733

Hey MerryMary, I just heard! Legless lizard... WoW. I'm truly flabbergasted. Should I be happy? It sounds like it has similar habits...
pyromomma
Columbia, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6537339

Here are some very cool links
http://twurl.nl/ic862h
It is a Google for "how to attract toads to my garden"
Many neat sites with how to build toad houses, etc.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #6537432

Cool! Now I want a toad house! haha!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6537914

this is one of the regulars.. been in the pond 2 years now. your tadpoles are getting so big so fast! mine are nowhere near that fast growing. I think it's because it's colder up here - frost warning tonight- but it will be 75 during the day? new england weather... I showed the snake picture around the shop most think it is a rat snake, but nothing like it up here..

Thumbnail by jjconcepts

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6537924

is there really such a thing as a legless lizard? or is that the name of a snake..
pyromomma
Columbia, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6538309

Yep, it is a lizard, not a snake. See the thread here that flowerehj started here in Water gardens
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/987191/
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6543534

Joe- glad to see your little frog friend! Could be that your frog has a much longer growing up period for tadpoles. I heard there are species where they stay in the pond 2 years! Here's a pic of today's waterlilies with some tadpoles swimming by the stems.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009

Post #6543536

Oops, here it is

Thumbnail by flowerehj

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6543543

Close up of tadpoles- this time I didn't take them out of the pond. They are all crowding around the log I put in for the legless lizard! Isn't it strange to see the tadpole from aside?

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6543635

great shot. they are growing up so well . glad the lizard didn't eat them up.
I am not sure how long the tadpoles take to mature. I was told by a neighbor it takes four months for the green frog tadpoles to leave the pond. Do you have an idea of what kind of frog was the parents of your little kids?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6544186

I think cuban treefrog. I've seen that one in the yard. But am not sure...
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6544201

i looked them up and they are adorable little frogs..
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6544439

If youre in Central Florida, most likely Cuban Tree Frogs (unfortunately)

Either that or toads, but most likely the CTF.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6544536

Yes, bummer. Non native. What do you have in your garden merry mary?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6547573

Well, I'm afraid I wont be able to stop the CTF invasion. With 3 small koi ponds, and lots of tropical plants like bananas and bird of paradise, it's just a happy place for them. I really wanted the green tree frogs, but with CTF's, fat chance. They eat everything in sight, lizards, other frogs, etc, which is why they are so bad for the state of Florida. I have more toads than I care the mention, and have occassionally been guilty of toad tossing over the privacy fence. Between the CTF's and toads screaming all night long, sleep deprivation happens! The long strands of toad eggs also start to clog the filters on my ponds. I scooped out 14 "pairs" of toads yesterday morning. I just put them in a bucket and take to my mothers lake and dump them around the edge.
Anything that holds water for more than one night is filled with eggs the next morning. Good news is, I have few mosquitos, bad news is the noise and invasive species syndrome. These are definiely not the happy Ba-rum kind of frogs!
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6553932

So apparently the tadpoles have slowed down growing. Here is a picture of today. They grew allright, this one is about a quarter of an inch, but they look about the same. I think they look a little like mice at this stage, haha!

And I would love to have some of those green treefrogs as well! :(

Thumbnail by flowerehj

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6554171

This tadpole was one of many in the ponds at the Oregon Garden. He was about 3-4 inches head to tip of his tail. Looked very well fed. Water was murky so not the best picture.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6554319

Beahive- Holy Cow! I would be scared by one that size! I haven't even seen frogs or toads around here that size!
pyromomma
Columbia, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6554484

Beahive, that likely was a Bullfrog tadpole. They take 2 years to mature.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6555006

Yep..thats what it is I imagine. Here is my bullfrog who I call Big Mama! They do get very large.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

pyromomma
Columbia, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6555168

That is one Fat mama!
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6562818

Here's tiny (compared to Big Momma!)

Thumbnail by flowerehj

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6562885

What a sweet picture. She looks very sleepy. Cute!
pyromomma
Columbia, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6563154

Tiny is a tree frog
Cuban?
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #6563636

If she's like the rest of them noisy guys out here, she probably is a Cuban tree frog. But she's a lot prettier than the bigger one I see around here. I think there's one living in my gutter. I hear it croaking from that direction! haha!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6564941

Yep, Definitely a Cuban Tree Frog. They can get pretty big. The overly large toe pads are an indicator of it being a CTF...as well as their range of color from white to brown to slightly greenish. The can give off a liquid that will burn some peoples skin if they are sensitive to it. Their skin is fused to the bone on their head, which is another way to tell them apart from the native tree frogs, but usually anything over 3 inches is pretty much a CTF. The Ag Dept tells you to put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer as a humane way to get rid of them because they have taken over so many native species.

A frog in my freezer next to my fudgesicles, umm...probably not going to happen.
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6669087

My tadpoles are growing in size, but only recently did I see a big development. Some of them have legs now but it makes them crazy fast! Haven't been able to catch them to photograph them. However, one was sitting on a lilypad and I thought maybe it was stuck! But when I went in close to take a picture, it jumped a huge jump into the water! I guess those hindlegs really have some power, eh? So this mediocre picture is all I got, but I thought it was fun to share!

Thumbnail by flowerehj

jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6669474

Wow, they are really doing well. I havn't seen any in our pond for some time, the rain muddies up the water a bit. .That is very exciting though, thanks for the update.
joe

flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6669598

Sorry about your murky water. The rain here seems to have cleared mine up. Funny how it worked differently for us! the tadpoles just eat all the cruddy stuff and algea so it's been very clear! I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, but let me know how yours grow!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6672467

Hope you are out for a vacation.. have fun, we had almost 3 inches of rain over the last 5 days and more to come. there are now 5 frogs living in the small pond!.. i will gig up a camera and get some pics if I can find the tadpoles. my crawdad's survived another winter and are now 3-4 inches long.. (we only see them once or twice a month) tadpoles would make great food for them I think.. They go through 5-6 comets a month.

enjoy!

-joe-

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America