Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

help.. we found tadpoles in the pond. !

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

we have a 800 gallon pond with a 7 foot cascading waterfall that travels down through several 30 gallon pools.. the waterfall is off in the winter. I cleaned most of the debris out of the pools last month, there are some floating plants and algae on the sides of the plastic liner. Well, we do have two green frogs in the pond. we put one in last year and it wintered over. the second is small and just showed up - we noticed him/her early this spring. the waterfall was off and stagnant all winter. and other than flushing it with a hose a few gallons a day early last month, it is still stagnant. Just before draining the large waterfall pool for cleaning I noticed a lot of semi submerged black debris. when I reached in to pull some clumps of debris from the bottom, the specs moved. I am assuming tadpoles as they are not much larger than 1/4 inch and I have not removed any to identify them as crawdad babies (do they swim) or insect larvae.. - we have crawdads as well. Either way hoping for tadpoles, how do you care for them? pump/filter is 1500 gph - can't run the waterfall, (it runs around 100 gph) if it washes them out, they won't survive the pump. all the goldfish were eaten by a great heron three weeks ago ( we caught him with the last one hanging out of his mouth) - currently no fish in the pond-

How do we raise tadpoles?
hmmm.. sorry about the length - i wanted to get the whole scenerio in. -joe-

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know about the tadpoles, but I am in the process of redoing my pond. I would like to see a picture of yours for ideas.
Thanks,
Bernie

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

i will put some pictures up tomrrow.. it's a natural style pond.. a lot of plants from a local pond. craw dads and a frog from the marsh. but they love it.

-joe-.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

pond edge

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

front view . we started building 2-3 years back.. pertly do to finances, partly due to fun - all the plants except grasses are from seed....

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

the waterfall.. we are building up the right side this rear. there is the 15 x 25 garden back here. there are two humps just past the waterfall, under them are several layers of carpet and plastic to walk across to the veggies..

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

again, a work in progress, we are growing sedum inside to plant insude the cinder blocks around the waterfall, for now we surround it with the potted plants thar wintered indoors.. not out yet.. th the distance in the early corn, potato, and carrots - corn under the squirrel net ..

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

the frogs are in there to the bottom left.. camera phone can't get the resolution, but you can just make them out.

Thumbnail by jjconcepts
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

That's so exciting! I've had tadpoles in our little pond when it was completely neglected. Mostly what they need is a natural environment. Water and some decomposing stuff in there, like leaves... Some plants will help too, for shade, and food.... You've got that. I think you're set. Only thing: make sure that when you add water to the pond it has no chlorine in it. Sometimes our drinking water has chemicals that can hurt frogs and their offspring. What I do is I fill a large trashcan with water, let it sit in direct sunlight (central florida sun; very hot) and let the bad stuff evaporate. After a couple of days, I use a bucket to add the water to the pond. Your situation is different of course, but I'm just letting you know! Good luck! Enjoy!

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

thanks.. they are getting a little bigger, not just specs anymore.. it looks like i may have crawdad larvae as well, but best I can tell - lack of images of crawfish babies online - but it seems mayfly larvae are similar...hmm.. i will try to get some pics of the babies.. there are 2-3 different ones in the pond.. it's a first and yes - very exciting to know we are gradually getting a pond instead of a pool..

thanks
-joe-

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Pretty coincidental that right after I responded to you, I found some jellatinous stuff in my pond with black dots in it. Is that how tadpoles get their start? Or is this something else that I should be concerned about/ remove?

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

I think they're frog eggs- that's so exciting! Such a coincidence, really! I heard them at my pond yesterday, but they've been in and out. Here's a picture

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

that is what i had found at first .. that is an some kind of egg, i am not sure what you are working with, but mine were in an upper pond, i shut down in winter.. I saw the eggs and put off starting the waterfall about two weeks ago and the water is still standing still .. now they are swimming around - you won't even notice them except in the sunlight only 1/4 inch long - they barely move around until the water is disturbed... let it sit a week or so - if there are black dots, you have something fertilized.. mayflies lay eggs in water, but I don't know what they look like..

let me know what you get!

-joe-

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

a closeup. I wonder what predators might be a danger to them?

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Joe- I'm curious to see your pics of the babies!

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

that's them.. try taking some out so nobody eats them - i put some in a pickle jar - with water from the pond.. they are doing fine.. fish will eat eggs..

awesome..

hope they are frogs.. either way

congratulations

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

i will try to get some tonight.

-joe-

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

I have no fish. So good hopes for frogs to survive- if they are frogs, haha! Thanks! I've been trying to make my pond into a little frog retreat. Some nights they come, some nights they don't. I have tons of mosquito larvae in there, though. I'm hoping that the tadpoles eat the small ones. The tadpoles need still water, and I didn't want to run a pump or anything anyways. Good idea to take some out. did you close the pickle jar? I'm always a little concerned about water temp: small bits of water heat up to a ridiculous temp here in FL. The pond is more balanced, since it has more water. Ah, well, we'll see. TTYL!

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

left the jar open on the kitchen counter most of the babies i left in the pond, actually some are going into a frog rearing kit i got for my daughter at christmas.. we've been waiting for it to be warm enough to order tadpoles.. pretty much a fish tank with a magnifyer on top.. I am surprised you can't get frogs to stay.. my pond is between the vegetable gardens, there is 3 inches of hay in the backof the pond , for the milkweed and butterfly bush - as mulch. i find the frogs in the hay sometimes in the summer and winter..they can be hard to spot.. you may have some frogs in there. or get larger tadpoles from the pet store if these don't work out. some frogs live in the marshes and visit the water at nights.. try hay or straw... might work..

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

I just judge if there are frogs out there by the sounds. They may be around when I don't see them. My pond is in renovation stage and there is currently little foliage or rock for them to hide under. So I totally understand that they're waiting to get some more cover! Is the water warm enough when you leave the jar in the kitchen? How old's your daughter? She must be excited about your tadpoles!

Claremore, OK

I raised these tree frogs with duckweed ( don't know if they ate any of the duckweed) and "Tetra" fish food for koi.

Good luck and take pictures!

This message was edited May 6, 2009 8:07 PM

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Cool pic Deb! Personally I don't like to feed the tadpoles. I figure they have to make do with what's available in the wild :) Here's a pic of how the eggs changed in just 6 hours or so. (compared to pic posted above.) In the Florida hot sun.

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I love the pictures.. i use the cellphone camera.. having trouble getting a good pic, we haven't seen the sun in six days.. the rain will probably stop on sunday.. my daughter is 10.. she just hatched around 100 praying mantis.. I was out last night finding fruit flies for them to eat.
the tadpoles seem fine. we turned the heat off last month so the house stays around 65 -70. everyone is getting bigger although it seems we have tadpoles AND crawdad babies. I wonder who will eat who? . we picked up crawfish from a lake in upstate NY and put three in the pond last year. . we put duckweed in the pond last year as well, the frogs loved to stick their heads out of it.. looks like you may hatch by monday.

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Overnight development of same batch of eggs

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

that is amazing, you looked just in time.. so, they liked being indoors. . I am going to look into tadpole rearing kits.. see what food to give them as they grow..

that is a lot of tadpoles.. you should sell some when they get bigger.. maybe to the pet store. i don't have nearly that many at least i don't think so. hope many make it.. it is nice to have them around. keep sending pics

-joe-

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Joe- they were outdoors the whole time. I took a little cup of the eggs just so I could follow them more closely. I now put them in a tiny tub (bigger than the cup but only about 5 times) that has a vivaporous water lily leaf in it, that is growing into a baby water lily. I just figured they would have a better chance of finding food. There's also mosquito in there, in all sizes, including some so tiny I think the tadpoles might be able to eat them. Also another bug is in there. Can you i.d. this bug? It's a baby like the mosquito and tadpoles, but it moves and looks quite different.

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

HOW TO RAISE TADPOLES

1) Build Pond
2) Get out of the way

Thank you very much.

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Right on! haha!

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

that is a water beetle... we get some in the summer.. amazing what is in there when you get in there and look...

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I think water beetles will eat tadpoles, I know they eat the mosquito..

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We have had tadpoles at various times in our pond. Both Green frogs and Southern Leopard frogs have reproduced in it, but I can't recall offhand the difference between the egg masses. When my granddaughter was small we put some tadpoles in a large white bowl and watched the metamorphosis, and then returned them to the pond. At other times frogs have arrived fully grown. Unfortunately our cat likes to sit by the pond and fish - er - frog; we are always sorry when that happens because we love to watch them. They need no extra care and are native to this area, so they just take advantage of a convenient body of water.

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

That's great! I guess your cat provides 'survival of the fittest' training around there! When you had the tadpoles in the bowl, did you provide any food for the tadpoles? And if yes, what? I like the no extra care thing- as I said, we had a bunch of tadpoles before when the pool was utterly neglected!

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, water beetle eating the tadpoles-not so good! I gotta check it out. Thx!

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

dunno.. just hoping for a good tadpole turnout. I expect i will bring a few inside to raise and see if they stick around as frogs.. the rest will be on their own for the most part.. sprinkle in food and see what happens.. i am kinda looking forward to your daily pic of the frog motel.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I don't think we fed them anything; in fact I seem to recall that tadpoles don't actually have mouths, but subsist on the absorption of their tails while in that form.

The worst problem we had in our pond was a muskrat; it was during a cat-less period and we went out one morning to find all of our decorative plants neatly lopped off at water level, with the fronds floating lazily in the pond. It took considerable persistence and lots of lovely raw veggies to catch the perpetrator in a Hav-A-Hart trap, from whence we deported him.

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Muskrat? Gosh, I didn't know they were so destructive! I also read somewhere that tadpoles keep part of the egg slime inside their bellies and that they feed on that. Here is the newest picture from this evening. They're really skiddish. Is there any way I could post a little video here? Don't know how. The picture took some doing to get one that sharp. They keep swimming off, scared of the camera. Of course I had to get like within an inch of them or something, so no wonder. I got this camera that can do super macro for architecture. I never thought I'd be using it for these kinds of purposes! I love that I can see their eyes in the picture. I can't actually see them when I look at them, but the pic is so clear! So I would love to see some of all of your pictures!

Thumbnail by flowerehj
Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

i don't think i've ever seen a muskrat.. you never know what comes around, especially at night. I pocked up a coop last night for our 5 hens.. going to be a busy weekend, but I will get some pics. you have a fantastic camera.. what kind is it? do you have a special lens on the front?

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Olympus SP 500 UZ. It's just between a SLR and a slim camera. Not too bulky. But not small either. The lens is the one that comes with the camera- cannot be changed. I think they probably don't sell this anymore. It's already 'old'. But they probably make better ones now. Just look for macro, and super macro- check at what distance it still takes a sharp picture. An inch is about as good as you're gonna get, I think!

Pic is of tonight, and guess what? A new load of eggs in the pond today!

Thumbnail by flowerehj
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have literally hundreds of tadpoles each year (I have about 20 frogs). The pond and garden will only support so much so there are alot of casualties but I try not to interfere and let nature take its course. I don't feed them, they just live on what is naturally in the pond. It is very exciting to see the spawn hatch into a black mass of feeding tadpoles and to see them turn into froglets. Good luck with yours!

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

You're right- and I'm trying to keep with that. I haven't fed them; basically all I've done is stare at them a lot! I figure there's plenty in the pond for them to eat, and if not; it is an indicator of what the habitat can support. They're growing really fast. I wouldn't be surprised if some started to show signs of legs tomorrow! Do you have pics galanthophile? Of the process? It's really exciting! I haven't been consistently at my house so I could never really keep track of anything this closely. It is so amazing to see the frogs grow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.