Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: Mirror mirror on the wall

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 40, Views: 318
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6506934

Has anyone ever found that you look different in the mirrors around your house?
For instance I find that my main bathroom has the "skinny" mirror...I look the best in this one. The one in my bedroom makes me look fat.
Why is that? Weird.
raccoon_bird
Marysville, OH

May 13, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6543265

[deleted by admin]

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6543327

It matters to me, how rude!
jmp24
Medford, NJ

May 13, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6543410

Jen, look up the profile, look up previous threads, posts, pictures before you let her get your goat...it's easy to see the reason - no excuse for being obnoxious, but we were all 10 at one time.

Oh and by the way, I am a gorgeous, 20 pounds lighter sex goddess in all my home mirrors. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of myself in other mirrors and think hey, who the heck is that fat chick?? Well, I am not really fat...I am on that highway, though - just haven't reached that exit. I find the older I get, the harder it is to lose it! I gotta start being more careful. Can't eat everything I want anymore!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6544232

Thanks jmp24, I didn't even think to check her profile.

After 30 it's def harder to lose is esp if you wait till after 35 to have kids. Ugh, I have 20 lbs to lose, can I still call it baby fat even though she's almost 3? lol
Doing a trial of eating my bigger meal for lunch and have a very light meal for dinner, they say it will help you lose 12 lbs in a month. I've been on it for 5 days so we'll see after a month what happens.

btw, jmp24... my bro lives in Voorhees.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

May 13, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6544983

ha ha I see the little one got booted out, looked like she was having way too much fun!

my problem now is sugar, which is weird cause for most of my life I was not a big sugar eater. For most of my life I was also underweight - so gaining 20 lbs was no big deal, it was the additional 20 on top of that that hurts!

I lived in Voorhees for many years, had three different rentals there. I grew up where I am now, most recently lived furthur south in Gloucester County then had moved down to the Long Beach Is. area for about 8 yrs, moved back here to finish school...I have seen you around on this site, at different forums - maybe pets or wildlife or african violets, or hostas? Hoyas? Can't remember -

I'm a Jen too.
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 13, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6545107

Unfortunately, my mirrors all seem to be "true". ;)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6545848

Pets probably.
You should join us over in the Northeast or MidAtlantic forum.
I know it's a little late notice but there's a midatlantic plant swap on Saturday in PA...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/956527/

lol, merigold

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7626519

ROTFL! I thought I was the only one with different mirrors!!

Jmp24, I ask the same questions! Who is that?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 13, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7626540

I have a really vicious mirror. Every time I walk by it shows me my mother.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7626551

ROTFL&L&L!!!!! Me too!!!!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7626640

LOL - Oh, it's your mother I'm seeing in my mirror. Whew, for a minute
I thought it was me!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 13, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7626650

Snort! If she is in YOUR mirror... then YOU call her every Sunday. It takes me 15 minutes before she gets it that it is me!! (I am not as mean as I sound... but the nursing home is threatening to throw her out because she chases the other residents around in her wheeled chair and she won't shower... she raises hell. I am just worried about her. I live a long way away. She has gone a long way away from the lady who used to leave messages for Ed McMahon on her door whenever she'd go on vacation (in case she won the PUBLISHER"S CLEARINGHOUSE prize ...she wanted him to know she was visiting me and that he should telephone her at my house.) ----- Well, now that I am thinking about that... ...maybe she hasn't come all that long away...

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7626779

Missingrosie - You have my heartfelt sympathy. I am a hospice counselor
and know only too well what you are going through. If it's any comfort, if you
take a picture of your mother now and show it to her, she will swear it's her
mother.

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7626921

I must confess...every time I look in the mirror I see my father!! If I look in a mirror away from home I see a much older father...sad but true!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 13, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7627087

Thanks June. I am glad you don't think I am a witch.

My mom looks exactly like her father. But either way -- showing her a photo may help. She will be glad to see him. My brother visits her every single day. He takes her homemade soup, pasta, whatever she wants. The other day he asked her about her children trying to keep her on track. She told him about her son 'Jim' (that's him) She said she never liked him!!!! He called me up laughing. She is something else.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7627209

Before my mother passed away my oldest sis asked her what she saw when she looked in the mirror, she said she saw herself at age 17 when she was dating my father.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 13, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7627371

Jen, that's wonderful.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7627796

June, ROTFL again!

Missingrosie, you have my sympathy too, but you can make them into great stories as a tribute to your Mom when she's no longer around. Your brother is a good boy and it sounds like you both have a great sense of humor! She's a lucky Mom!

Flowerjen, that's beautiful!
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8138131

My mom got really cantankerous in her 'golden years'. I took her to the Dr one day when she was 72 and he immediately put her into the hospital and gave her 3 months to live. Well, my mom was so cantankerous, she lived to be 76 and got married at 74 in the convalescent home. I see my mom when I look in the mirror, I don't mind looking like her, I just don;'t want to be cantankerous like her. I told my friends, if I get like her, let me know!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 4, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8138272

If they let you know, they'll risk you killing them!! (grin)
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #8138528

Oh, I didn't think of that! They will probably tell me by e-mail -- they know I have guns and can shoot

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8138739

ROTFL!!!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #8187716

keepingactive your Mom sounds great except for the cantankerous part. I love the part where she leaves a note on the door. And getting married at 74 !! I would never have the courage !!! I am sure that you have many stories about her that will make you and your brother smile. Thanks for telling us.

Eleanor
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 12, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9120996

Not sure if anyone is still connected to this old thread or not, but thought I would put in my two cents worth. First of all, I got a lot of laughs reading this. Such fun folks. I can truly identify with seeing my mother in the mirror too. I live in a small town where both my mother and myself have lived our whole lives. I cannot go in to town without seeing someone who comments on how much I look like my mother. My mom is gone now too and I miss her a lot at times.

As for different mirrors making us look differently, it most likely has to do with the type of lighting in the room. I have found that to be the case anyway, but haven't gone as far as to decide which lighting I look best in and change all the lighting around my mirrors.

Anyway...thanks to everyone for the chuckles.

Ruby
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 12, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9121049

I'm still here : )

In my case I think candle light is best LOL.

I remember the first time I "saw" my mom's face in the mirror. It scared me a little...but hey getting older is a GOOD thing!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 12, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9121233

Hi Ruby!
There is a mirror at work - covers the entire wall. ( three panels ). If I position myself exactly in the middle between two panels...anong the "seam" - I am 1/2 as wide as I normally am! IT IS GREAT!
Problem is when I catch a glimpse of myself when I am teaching a class - It distracts me ( and breaks my heart.) I found a box of old slides...from the 70's when my kids just babies. Me and hubby - we weren't so bad!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9121725

Rubyw,
I'm here too and still seeing Mom in the mirror.

Merigold,
Candle light, giggle!

Missing Rosie,
I love that mirror and wish I had one!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 13, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9121940

Awww...you gals are so funny. I understand about the candle light being the best light too. hahaha Merigold...I totally agree that some mighty good things come with age. Sure are a lot smarter when you have some years behind you. I try to give the younger generation the benefit of the doubt, when I remember what a silly girl I was once upon a time.

I suppose that one thing good about aging is that I don't care quite as much about my looks as I did when younger. I have grown in to the body that I have...finally able to accept all the extra rolls and lines that have appeared. I wear my battle scars proudly, thank you very much.

Anyway...thank you ladies for responding and giving me a chuckle to start my day. Happy Mothers Day to all.

Ruby
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 13, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9122413

Happy Mothers Day to you too and to all the dads that are great at mothering.
Ruby, I will take a little stupid for less tush!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9123212

Still here too

Yes low light does work the best!
Need to find me one of those seamed mirrors, LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9125683

Ruby,
I am with you on everything you said, LOL!

Missingrosie,
LOL! I'll take less tush too!!

FlowAjen,
Let me know when you find that mirror :o)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9125757

will do :-)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 18, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9128346

So glad that so many of you are still interested in this topic. I know that the lighting in the bathroom I use regulary is not as flattering as the one in my son's bathroom. Maybe I should begin using his sink and mirror more often in order to feel better about starting my day. hahaha

I used to be a person who didn't feel dressed if I didn't have my make up on. That changed almost twenty years ago when my new husband at the time told me didn't think I needed to wear it. I haven't worn makeup five times since he said that, sometimes miss it, but don't miss having yet one more thing to do each and every day.

One thing I do miss is using mascara to make my little or no lashes left, look longer. I often suffer with eye irritations though, so don't really want to test if using mascara would worsen them or not. Both of my sons have long luxurious lashes and I feel it is really unfair!!! hahaha

Anyway...you ladies are all perfect, just the way you are...despite what the mirror is telling you.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9128411

the boys are always blessed with gorgeous lashes!

I use Bare Minerals, looks very natural, doesn't take long at all and lasts all day
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9128513

Mirror, mirror, on the wall
Who's the fairest of them all?

my mirror says: Sure ain't you babe!

I used to spend a half hour or so putting on makeup - from face to brows, eye shadows and eyeliner, topped off with mascara.

Then the hot flashes hit. Now ladies, I just don't perspire-----I sweat buckets. People in stores who don;t even know me, come rushing up to me to help...I've realized that some may have thought I was having a heart attack. I was on Prempro for 15 years, which helped in the beginning, but finally had to get off those. I sleep with a small fan on my bed and one on my night stand. My husband died 25 yrs ago next month and I've had these flashes for 20 years. I used to go to bed with my makeup on - not to please my husband, but Ii had a fear that we would have a house fire, the firemen would come in to save us, take one look at me with no face, and say...let her burn. Mascara is now the only thing I wear when I leave the house; and I keep my dark sunglasses on at all times. I don;t want to scare small children, being faceless and all. Oh, I'm blond with blond eyelashes and eyebrows --well actually my hair is now graying, but dye helps there! Have a Great Day.
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9128520

OMG you have me rolling on the floor!!!!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9135678

Jen, you look so well put together any of the times I have seen you. You are good walking advertisement for whatever you use. Keep up the good work.

Keepingactive...what a hoot!!! Hey, I know all about the drenching that happens to women after a certain age. I don't have to move a finger on a warm day, and I sit with water running down my face and neck. Attended an outing on Saturday and had to carry around a hand towel to wipe myself every few minutes. If I had worn make up, it would have been a real disaster.

Anyway...thanks for the laughs...I can truly relate.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9135700

Thanks Ruby!

I started with those hot flashes (too early imho) and went on all types of natural stuff and finally got my body levelled off and haven't had a problem in years...the most recent thing that worked for me was Oona
http://www.drugstore.com/oona-pms-1-tablets-two-month-supply/qxp88843?catid=280056
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 27, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9140439

My hubby seems to believe that my vast perspiration is due to the hand full of medications I take each morning. I have to agree to that up to a certain degree. Some of it is genetic because both my sons suffer with it too at times.

Anyway...feels good currently sitting in the cool air conditioned house while outside it is steaming. I am trying to stay indoors as much as possible during the days with very high temperatures. That works for me.

I hope that everyone is having an enjoyable weekend.

Ruby
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 27, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9140502

Hope you have a lovely weekend too Ruby!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America