Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Fragrant Climbing Plants: Gloriosa Lily in zone 8

Communities > Forums > Article: Fragrant Climbing Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fragrant Climbing PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ShirleyV
Sooke
Canada

May 5, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6508311

can anyone tell me more about the Gloriosa lily? I have planted a tuber in a pot and lo and behold I finally have a shoot emerging! I live on Vancouver Island, zone 8b and would like to know if I should continue to let it grow overwinter indoors or should I store it and start it off again next year? If so, how best to store it? Cheers, and happy gardening!
burgawjan
Burgaw, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9526867

I've been growing them about 20 years starting with a couple of tubers from a garden center. Here in zone 7b or 8a (hard to tell lol) they're doing fine in the ground, but they don't stay exactly where you put them, migrating up to around 10" a year in some cases. I still keep 2 fairly large pots of them that I place somewhat under a shrub so they have something to hang onto. You'll love and hate the way their leaf tips grab hold of whatever is there for support, very strange, and frustrating if you wish to change their behavior. After they bloom, sometimes seed will set, but whether it does or not, the plant will gradually yellow and look ratty by late summer and go dormant. For the potted ones, at that point, cut the dead stems off and put the pot away for the winter where it will stay dry and not freeze very hard. When the air warms the following year, you may see skinny little shoots before you remember to put the pot back outside, but they don't seem to mind. Every 2,3,4...years I dump the pots in early April before any shoots have started and rearrange and divide the tubers, always with small extras to bury somewhere else. It's a really meat plant that you'll really enjoy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fragrant Climbing Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's a combo for you CoreHHI 4 May 18, 2011 10:32 AM
Zone 5 Maria 4 May 25, 2011 6:13 AM
Underused/underestimated climbers... Noturf 1 Sep 1, 2009 2:20 AM
Wisteria seeds momofcracker 2 May 16, 2011 4:33 AM
vines GodsEden 1 Aug 5, 2013 6:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America