-
AuthorContent
ShirleyV
Sooke
Canada

May 5, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6508451

HI, I am on Vancouver Island, zone 8b. I have planted a gloriosa lily in a pot and it has a shoot emerging. I would like to know if anyone else has experience with these gorgeous climbers. I need to know how to store it for winter in my zone or if I should try to keep it going indoors. Also I need storage tips on dahlias. For the 2nd year in a row I have lost my dahlias ( and cannas) to rot. I stored them in peat moss in a dark frost-free shed, but obviously am doing something wrong. Help!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6508465

Hi Shirley. Re dahlias and cannas. I think peatmoss holds too much moisture in your humid environment. Both are prone to rot. Try storing then in vermiculite next time.
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6509707

Hi Shirley, After losing some of my dahlias to rot, I not store them over the winter in a bucket filled with perlite. They were outside all winter so they did freeze. I lost only a couple of tubers.

I'd love to grow a gloriosa lily here. I think it would have to be in a heated place over winter but that's just a guess.

Linda in Victoria
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6513099

Hi Shirley, I have tried gloriosa lilies a couple of times and manage to keep them going for a few years and eventually kill them ! When they went dormant, I kept them in the heated greenhouse over the winter but finally they did not come back in the spring.
I leave my dahlias in the ground (I know, I know !) but I always harvest some seeds from them in the fall as a fall-back. I find them very easy from seed. I notice that some of the dark leaf ones are already showing in my garden so all is not lost this year !!
Heather
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6513197

Heatherbelle my mom in Whiterock BC is of the age that she doesn't want to dig up her dahlias anymore so leaves them in the ground. I think whatever works for you is a go!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6517462

Lucky Zone 8 and 9. I'd leave dahlias in the ground too, if I had a high enough zone to do so.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6519840

I started a Gloriosa Lily indoors in March; I was going to treat it as an annual. The vine grew to four feet and snapped off last night - I didn't stake it. Dang..

Hopefully it can continue on anyway. Never grown one before.

Joanne Ü
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6520125

Oh no!! What a shame. GJ

I tried to start some last year & never seen a sprout. The tuber seemed ok in the fall, but it ticked me off so it went into the garbage.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #6524823

Well, I looked at my vine a little closer; it didn't actually totally break off, it just really bent. The vine is kind of fibrous, so I taped it up with green painters tape and then staked the vine. So far, so good. The top part is not wilting so maybe it will be okay. Fingers crossed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America