AuthorContent

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6510393

Hi Sharran. I always enjoy your articles - you've got a signature style that combines nostalgia, memorable larger than life relatives, and plant lore that is just pure pleasure to read. This article in particular hit home with me, because I too love mountain laurel. I consider myself extremely fortunate to live on 35 acres of Virginia woodland where it grows everywhere.

I posted this picture a while back in a Babies and Blooms thread in the Mid Atlantic forum. It is of my niece Erica Rose with the mountain laurel in full bloom. Although it was taken about 8 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. She was just on the verge of talking, and on that particular day she said her very first real words - incessantly repeating Abby, Abby, Aaaaby as she followed (or should I say chased) my parent's sweet tempered American Eskimo dog around my yard. Erica is now a beautiful 9 year old and although I have many pictures of her in the garden, this one was always one of my favorites. Terri

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6510660

Ahhhhh, Terri,
You live in my second most favorite state! And look at that picture, I can see how it would also be my favorite. A beautiful little girl, and a sweetheart of a dog, right in the middle of mountain laurel. It doesn't get any prettier than that.

I am so glad to hear from you. I had a dog that looked like the one in your photo. Her name was Pepper and she went everywhere with me in the mountains. Your photo reminds me of the two of us when we followed Aunt Bett all over the hillside.

Thank you, more than you know, for your kind words and for the picture. I hope your spring is beautiful.

Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mountain Laurel Memories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Mountain Laurel postmandug 10 May 7, 2009 8:58 PM
Great phicks 7 May 14, 2009 3:25 AM
Mountain laurel daphnep 9 May 15, 2009 1:37 AM
Mountain Laurel Memories gardenpom 2 May 11, 2009 3:32 PM
Tennessee River Mountain Laurels Riverwine 1 May 11, 2009 8:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America