Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Self-contained Box Gardens: Tomatoes: The Life in an Earthbox

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 25, Views: 208
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2009
5:34 AM

Post #6511138

I was bored. lol

http://rayderphan.net/Pics/EB-BeefsteakProgress.jpg

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6511748

I just realized that after you click the link you'll need to move your cursor over the picture and click to enlarge it. Next time I'm bored, I'm probably gonna make a progress picture of the EB peppers, beans, corn, cukes and squash.
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

May 6, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6513965

I figured it out! =) Wow, that is so awesome. SoCal (sigh).
Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 7, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6514453

Here two on a grow pole. Early Girls. Between the two of them they have twenty flowers showing. Their roots have began to grow down through the drain holes of the top pot and into the pot below it. The roots may go all the way down through the 4 pots in this stack. Time will tell. Looking good so far.

Thumbnail by Jaywhacker
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6514913

Ray very impressive Mouth watering LOL...
Jay you two make it hard to wait...lol

I just got my taters planted..Its good friday here in Ames.Ne..LOL

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6515122

Moonglow -
Quoting:I figured it out! =) Wow, that is so awesome. SoCal (sigh).

YAY! I wondered if people thought, "WTH? All I see is a tiny strip of pictures that I can't make out" lol Ya, I love SoCal, expensive as heck but it would be hard to live anywhere else. At least you could go to Raiders games whenever you want. :)

Jay -
Quoting:Here two on a grow pole. Early Girls. Between the two of them they have twenty flowers showing. Their roots have began to grow down through the drain holes of the top pot and into the pot below it. The roots may go all the way down through the 4 pots in this stack. Time will tell. Looking good so far.

Hell ya Jay! They look great! What are those 2 smaller plants growing near the bottom? People always complain about the taste of Early Girls. For me they blow any store bought out of the water. I'm not growing any this year but last year I learned they are best when fully vine ripe. I think too many people were picking them at first sign of blush and letting them ripen on their kitchen counters.

Tubbytee -
Quoting:Ray very impressive Mouth watering LOL...
Jay you two make it hard to wait...lol

I just got my taters planted..Its good friday here in Ames.Ne..LOL

Nice! Glad you got those taters going. What kind did you plant? I'm shocked at how fast Red Pontiacs grow. They are doing so much better than the yellow ones(can't remember the name) I tried to grow last year.

Jaywhacker
Kerrville, TX

May 7, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6515132

Ray...Your tomato's look great. You must have been winning the battle with all the bugs and viruses you were reporting on earlier. I didn't see any bug bites on those leaves. I am looking forward to a photo-journalist job on what you are doing with your stackers.

I lost my own seedling attempts at tomato's due to very erratic, cold, rainy, and overcast weather we have had this spring. Unusual for this area and has slowed down plant growth. I grew Early Girls a coupla years ago and they did better than other types I was growing. So I just picked up a 6 pack of Early Girls from the Nursery. Lost two to what looked like early blight, have the two on the pole and two more planted in large containers for comparison between grow pole and container growing.

I need to order some tomato seeds of smaller tomato's more suitable to growing on grow poles. About 20 years ago, I had great success with little Red Robin tomato's grown in one gallon containers sitting in a water bed. I hope to try that again.

This message was edited May 6, 2009 9:41 PM

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6515191

Jay...Yup, after cutting down the Sun Golds that had Leaf Spot...no sign of any disease *knocks on wood*. I have recently added more Sun Golds. They're too good to not grow. I had a phosphorus deficiency in my EB Beefsteak Toms earlier. But the good people here gave me some good ideas and it was gone in a few days.

The aphids are gone but the White Flies(love my peppers) are still here. I think it's something I'll just have to battle with daily. They're in check atm.

You know what Jay? I'm still Stackerless :( I'm getting one soon. Thinking an assortment of Bush Beans(Lima, Green, etc...) are gonna love it.

Speaking of bugs...Found a few of these little guys on my EB Bush Beans. It's a Yellow Striped Armyworm.

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6515195

I picked him up and introduced myself, gave him a pat on the head and blew him a kiss...

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6515199

Then all of a sudden my foot slipped...oops :)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #6515231

Ray...Ray...I was just gonna start a thread asking if the worms would bite if you picked them off barehanded. I guess you answered my question. But, Ray...Ray...did you have to mess up your foot?

P.S. My worm is kinda similar only without the stripe. It's a brownish color. What kind is that, and will HE bite me?
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6515238

HAW HAW HAW ROTFLMAO Ray! You are too funny!
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6515249

GG no worms don't bite scaredy cat! Go ahead, have fun picking and squishing! LOL!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6515268

So, Karen, are you saying you've picked off some worms barehanded and are living to tell about it?

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6515284

Hey G-girl, this is the first time I've seen this kind of caterpillar. I did some searching around and found it was a Western Yellow-Striped Armyworm. I'm sure you have them in your area...or something very similar. I've never been bit by one because I never give it a chance. I doubt they do bite but if I see them trying to latch on to my finger they are immediately dropped to the ground and they meet Mr. Foot :) Now, I have had a 4" Hornworm grab a hold of my finger and it did make me wonder if that big sucker could deliver a bite. Never heard of anybody getting bit, so I highly doubt they do. Even so, If I see a hornworm I just clip them in half right on the plant and let it spill out over the plant. Sometimes I like to have squishing competitions though...I stomp one half of them and see how much distance I can get that green goo to shoot out lol

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6515306

Quoting:HAW HAW HAW ROTFLMAO Ray! You are too funny!

It was all an accident...I swear. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL

No hate mail from the Butterfly/Moth people yet :)
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6519898

We planted 60 'Kennebec's & 30 Red Pontiac's in first bed."On The Right"
This bed is made up of a duke mixture..First layer 2" grass fresh cut
"3 days old" Second layer 5" of mulched leaves..Third layer 2" of old straw
Now the potatoes..Forth layer 5" of old straw.. I found it very hard to get the leaves in second layer wet...I'm thinking that time will get them wet..
The ground is wet below & the straw is wet above it..We'll see if this experiment is any good..LOL Shirley says I'm Crazy..But she knew that before she said I DO..LOL

Leveling leaves

Thumbnail by tubbytee

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6519920

Kennebec's on top of 2" straw..

Thumbnail by tubbytee

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6519940

Finished bed..Orange snow fence is to keep my 4 dogs OUT..LOL

Thumbnail by tubbytee

joy112854
Crestview, FL

May 8, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6519960

Ray and Jay: Great looking tomato plants, and Ray your toms look fabulous, can hardly wait for my toms to start appearing, l like those pics that is a great idea.
joy
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6519978

The left bed is easier ..Tilled as in first bed..Layed seed potatoes on top of the ground..Covered with a mix of mulched straw and leaves..Also Kennebecs from our garden last year..And the rest of the Red Pontiacs Total # of seed potatoes planted 150..If we have any sucess at all, we will have to learn how to store these babies correctly..LOL

This message was edited May 7, 2009 10:08 PM

Thumbnail by tubbytee

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6520000

5+" of mulched Straw & Leaves

Thumbnail by tubbytee

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6520021

Left area is ready for straw bales

Thumbnail by tubbytee

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6520027

Very nice Tee! If all goes well, you guys are gonna be in tater heaven. Definitely interested in your progress as they grow. I'm gonna keep that mixture in mind for next year if my leaves and soil mix bombs. Ya, in time those leaves will breakdown and retain moisture. No need to worry about that. Even if it didn't retain moisture, the other layers will. I can't imagine that being a problem at all.

Brilliant idea with the fencing. I'm only tinkering around with taters for the 2nd year...looks like you have a plan and a method to tater madness :)

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6520047

Thanks Joy...gonna take a look at your pics in a bit. I saw one thread and you are doing great! Working on other progression styled veggie photos as we speak.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

May 9, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6525782

Tee: I am looking forward to planting potatoes next year and your idea looks great, keep us all posted on how well it works.
joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America