-
AuthorContent
Pottager
Mid North Coast NSW
Australia

May 7, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6515334

Thanks for the great info Tamara. Wondered if you could help with my question about a 6 month old lemon grass plant that is growing seeds. I've never had that happen before & don't know whether to be worried or pleased. The photo shows the lemon grass in front of my asparagus - cut back for winter here in oz & being closely cuddled by a sweet potato vine.

Thumbnail by Pottager
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 23, 2010
10:40 PM

Post #7731935

Hi Pottagr
It depends on the strain you are growing, I have been growing lemongrass here on Reunion island for twenty years and never had a single seed, then a friend gave me a small plant he ha obtained from seeds he purchased and this one does set seeds, it can even become invasive. I would say that the seeded one is somewhat larger and with tougher seeds than the non seeded one.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7738493

Hmm, not sure at all how to answer this one - a true sign of a great question! For many plant species, going to seed means that it's reaching the end of its life. I can't say if this is true for lemongrass. If it were me, I would cut off the flowering stalks in hopes that it would extend it.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 28, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7744359

Well, I had lemongrass flowering last year and the year before and they seem to just keep growing larger and larger! Pretty tough material actually.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7745547

I think you're right Jacques - especially since Pottager said his plant was only 6 months ago, I doubt it's on its way out. Maybe just a different type...?

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 29, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7747722

It is obviously a perennial anyway but there certainly must be different types.
katsu
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7754256

I can't answer your original question about the seeds, Pottager, but the question about different strains caught my curiousity.

According to The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless, there are several varieties of lemongrass. The two main ones are West Indian Lemongrass (Andropogon Citratus) and East Indian Lemongrass (A. Flexuosus). They are cultivated for fragrance and food uses, and to dilute more expensive essential oils such as lemon verbena and melissa (lemon balm).
West Indian lemongrass sounds like it is more common, being grown in India, Guatemala, the West Indies, Africa, and tropical Asia.

Lemongrass is delicious in Thai food and is often combined with ginger and lime in curries. Very light, bright flavor!
dschofield
Selma, OR

February 18, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9011124

I have sent for lemon grass seed. The variety is Cynboogan citratus. Living in the North West I plan on potting it and leaving it outside in summer and bringing it in when the weather cools.
I've never done lemon grass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Love for Lemongrass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great information! KaperC 6 Jul 17, 2014 11:41 PM
Lemon grass GEORGIASWAN 0 May 19, 2008 12:38 PM
Lemon grass DriftingDude 0 May 20, 2008 9:14 AM
Lemon grass harperart 1 Jun 6, 2008 3:06 PM
Glad To See Daves Garden Lasts so long!! vlkno 3 Apr 23, 2010 12:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America