-
AuthorContent
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6516032

To KOI !! Just three - no more. Really, I mean it! (;o) This is year four with my pond and I've been resisting koi from the beginning for a few different reasons: I wanted a pond mainly for the water garden aspect of it and I've heard that koi don't always coexist peacefully with plants. I also had trouble my first year keeping the cheap goldfish alive and that was heart-breaking enough; I knew koi would be more like pets and I'd be even more devastated to lose them. Also, I do not fuss over my pond - I NEVER test the water, and I don't want to start obsessing about PH levels, ammonia, etc. Since year two, I've had no problem with keeping the goldfish alive so I'm hoping that the koi will be happy too.

But I suspect I'll soon join the koi craze like most of the rest of you! Any words of wisdom for keeping my plants intact and keeping the koi healthy?

I'll try to get some pics, but they're still a little shy.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6519581

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA...HA...

3 koi...HAHAHA...you crack me up.

Please post a pic when you buy your 4th and 5th.

:D
mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6522129

If she has 3 koi, odds are she won't have to buy numbers 4 & 5...Who here wants to break the news to her?
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6522808

No way! My fish wouldn't do that!

Actually I have several goldfish, shubunkins and comets already. I also have 3 golden orfes who are very good at keeping the population from increasing so the odds are that my koi count won't increase without human intervention.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6523459

and I am going the other route. Commets and goldfish look great. My koi are dropping like flies...
Good luck with your koi-may they be healthy!

Linda
flowerehj
Saint Cloud, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6537170

This is pretty amusing for a fishless watergardener! Good luck with the koi! May you enjoy them for a long time!
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6570919

When I had koi, I never fussed over the water and they did great...until they grew too big for the little water garden I had at the time and had to give them to someone who had a larger water garden. Songs, your pond looks so great, I will be shocked if they do not just thrive on their own.

They do add more waste to the water because we feed them (that is the fun of koi!) and the more you feed them...well more for the filter...if I remember, don't you have a bottom drain with two filter tanks? If so, I think you will be fine.
They are certainly more friendly, and that is what I missed so much about them. I had to give up putting in certain plants, like anacharis...that was like a salad to them. I found an underwater oxygenator, horsetail, that they stayed away from. It had a rougher texture. They also like to dig around in the pots. I had some black plastic netting that I could put my oxygenaters in and then they could only eat what would grow through to the outside of the netting, as well as keeping them out of the pot.

I did love them so...but I would think of them as children that liked to play...in the course of things, things get broken...I vowed I would not get them again, but I have to admit, I am thinking of a few once I get the pond done this month. I miss how beautiful my gold koi looked in the sun...ahh...nothing compares to that, no matter how much I love the goldfish.

Enjoy!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6572266

RatherB, thanks for the input. Yes, I do have bottom drains and good filtration, so hopefully that will be sufficient! I am enjoying them so far; they ARE more social and so pretty. So far no destruction, but they are only 6 inches long.

I hope you're going to post pics of your new pond...if you already have, please direct me to them!
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6637613

Oh, Songs...this killing me to say it, but I again have put off the pond...I have so much going on that I had to pull out, once again. In fact, I am going to fill in the hole so it doesn't look so bad anymore. We are doing the potting shed and the kitchen garden this year, and to add doing the pond (at the quality I want it..), I could not do it financially or physically. Something had to give.

The pond will be one day...just not now. I am so thankful to all who have helped me with my questions, as it will still help me in planning in the future.

For now, I would rather not have a pond, than have one that is done poorly or hastely. I at least have a few fountains in the gardens so that I have the sound of water...that I cannot do without.

Keep us up to date, Songs, how the koi are doing...ok?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6641672

So where are the pictures of your new kids? I am happy to say y koi are doing great and I am fixing my pond by adding a few more feet depth to it and a bottom drain. This should be happening late next week. The bad news is that they ate my little comet goldfish. There was no where else for this little fish to go but inside the koi's mouths and it is MIA. I guess that put an end to my thinking about goldfish . . .
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6648027

Well, I took about 20 pics trying to get a shot of the new kids, but they won't stay still! So here's a blurry one of the Butterfly Koi - of the same name.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6648035

Glad your koi are doing better mothermole. Hopefully your pond changes will make a difference too.

RatherB, sorry to hear you have put the pond on hold. But I know what it's like to have too many projects going on at once. Hopefully the right time will come soon!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America