Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canadian Gardening: Ottawa area sale - Hostas

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6516423

I'm planning to sell off some of my hostas (and give quite a few away to charitable plant sales as well). this will keep my gardens under control and also help fund my Hosta habit. I'm not equipped to package most for shipping, but if you are in the Ottawa area and would like the list of what I have available, please D-mail me.

Ann

PS to AndyCdn if you are out there, are you still landscaping downtown? I have quite a bit of Clausa which is rhizomatous and would make a good fill-in plant in the areas where you are working. (I'll give it to you for that purpose).
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6992617

Hello Ann
I just found the Canadian garden section on DG and have found it interesting reading. I'm a dedicated gardener but still have a lot to learn sincce we only moved to the Ottawa area from Zimbabwe (Africa) 4 years ago. This spring a friend of mine needed to 'weed out' her hosta patch so I inherited a couple of real big ones - don't ask what they are called as I havn't a clue!! As I'm developing a large backyard area with a lot of shade, hostas are a perfect groundcover. I cut my donated plants into quarters and they took off like rockets! In fact - i should be able to divide them next spring for populating other yet to be planted areas in my 'forest-garden'.
If you are planning to hold a hosta sale again next spring I'd love to hear about it!
I'm including a snap of my hostas .The one in the back is called "Big Daddy" - its the only name I remember. This picture was taken just a few weeks after I had divided and planted them.

Sabine

Thumbnail by binibusybee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6992894

Hi Sabine,

I divided so many this past spring that there won't be many next year, but I'll let you know.
We DO have an excellent resource in Budd Gardens - in Blackburn Hamlet if you want to purchase new varieties. But I warn you that collecting them can become habit forming. :-)

Ann
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7161136

Hello Ann

Sorry for the long delay in replying to you. I'm still figuring out how to 'drive' this site.
Hostas really do have so many marvellous qualities that I can see how their collection can become a habit! Thanks for the warning!

Sabine

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America