Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: What about those wild animals!

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
billymonique
El Reno, OK

May 8, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6519409

I thought this forum under Strawbale gardening would be more active...does everyone have the perfect strawbale garden. My biggest problem has been the wild animals digging in my bales. Including digging up tomatoe plants.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

May 8, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6519586

Get some good fencing.

I had to put a deer fence up. They were my only problem.

Now, no more problems.

Link: http://www.nodeer.com/index.php4
billymonique
El Reno, OK

May 8, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6520067

Thanks for responding, but my problem is smaller. I caught skunk digging in bale. Not just one but all twenty bales. But i have the persuader that will stop him. But really I hope to catch him and let the humaine society deal with him. thanks for advise.

Just wondering how many people are actually growing out of strawbales. My traditional garden is growing much faster currently than my bales, but time will tell. I would love to see how many are actually participation here and get more feedback. Being new to this form of growing it would be great to get some updates on how the bales are coming along.

Thumbnail by billymonique
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #6520447

I don't understand. Billy, why didn't you use the current strawbale threads instead of starting one of your own. We have about 20 some different threads starting in 2006 I think it was, or maybe earlier. Did you bother going in and reading any of those? We had so many responses we ended up with over 20. Don't know the exact number.

If you would read them you might find out why you are not having very good luck with your bales. Did you use blood meal on them? Could be why you have the skunks. I heard that animals liked that so I didn't use that that I bought. Ended up with urea. All you need is a high nitrogen fertilizer.

Take a look at the other threads. The people on there are so much help. Good advice when you need it.

Jeanette
billymonique
El Reno, OK

May 8, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6521170

Hello Jnette, sorry about the tread creation. Yes i have read the complete thread. I wasn't trying to recreate the wheel. This forum is great. I just was hoping for more current interaction here. I am not crying or complaining just wanted to see that. Will post on other tread. Have a wonderful and blessed day. Billy
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6523119

Billy, I am going to try to give you my form with the list of threads for you to look at. I hope I can. If it doesn't work, let me know and I will have someone else do it.

Jeanette

Strawbale Gardening Discussion Forum

Try that. If it doesn't work, go to the "communities" and go to strawbale gardening.
tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6544582

I have a snake that lives in my hay bales. He is very fast so I can't see what kind he is. I am just very careful to be sure he is not on top of the bales when I am working on them. This is my first time trying hay bales but so far so good.

Betty
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6544949

Betty, did you see Eufaula's zucini (sp) plants on the other thread. They are beautiful. There are pictures on there.

One other person said they have a snake. That's good. Pretty soon you and the snake will figure out each other's schedules so you don't run into each other.

Jeanette
billymonique
El Reno, OK

May 15, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6550590

Jnette, hello didn't work but i have read through the complete thread. I am a full time straw Gardner now. Retired and loving it.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
6:02 AM

Post #6550886

Good for you. Don't forget the pictures. Jeanette
tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6596322

Ran into my bale buddy again today.

Betty

Thumbnail by tortoisekeeper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6597054

He's good. Will keep your bugs cleaned up for you.

Jeanette
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

May 26, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6599067

Betty: colorful little fella!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6599322

Oooh I dont want one of those but I Need one! Crickets are being pesky here!
tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6600917

He is harmless. I just hope my yorkies don't find him.

Betty

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America