Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Black Widows in My Garden: A little more info Please?

Communities > Forums > Article: Black Widows in My Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Black Widows in My GardenReplies: 2, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6521537

Geoff,

Your article got my attention and I certainly appreciate more information than I had before.

When I moved up here 4 years ago, although I've found many kinds of spiders and other creatures, of which I have little fear, the Black Widow was not evident on my 5 acres.

A year ago, my son's GF moved up here from 2 zones south. Among other things, she brought the Black Widow's with her. The Widow's spent the summer and fall making nests and leaving egg sacks about. One was camped out by the hose bib inside my pumphouse. My fears led me to the ether can. But I know there were more out there and in my porch greenhouse.

I went everywhere I could think of to clean out the nests and eggs from those places they lurk, hoping they would not return in the spring. During the winter we had an accidental kerosene smoke cloud in the GH and I suspect this might have taken care of any stragglers.

I guess what I want to know is, will these creatures naturalize in a new environment easily or is there a chance I have seen the last of them?

I have learned over these years to co-habitate with the creatures that belong here and with the exception of an occasional scorpion sting, have been pretty successful with this.

What do you think?

Molly

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6521601

they are very good at invading gardens, but I don't know as much about them in that climate where you live.. in arid climates, they are ubiquitous and impossible to completely get rid of... still, they seem to do very little harm
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6525273

Thank you Geoff,

I'll try to co-habitate peacefully, if they will. Your article makes me feel easier about them.

Molly

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Black Widows in My Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article lessens the fear (a little) vossner 1 May 11, 2009 12:56 PM
I Got Bit beadmom 1 May 11, 2009 3:28 PM
Yes, it has a cousin! zone10 5 May 9, 2009 3:45 AM
Me, too! imapigeon 1 May 9, 2009 2:47 AM
Nah...Still scared Devota 0 May 8, 2009 6:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America