Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Black Widows in My Garden: Yes, it has a cousin!

Communities > Forums > Article: Black Widows in My Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Black Widows in My GardenReplies: 5, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

zone10

zone10
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6522023

Great article Geoff! I also have lots and lots of BW spiders in my garden. But over the past couple of years I've noticed they've been replaced more and more by brown widows. I couldn't believe it when I first saw a brown widow. I thought it was an immature blacky, but it's full grown size didn't make sense so I immediately Googled "brown, black widow" and found there really existed a brown widow spider. Wish I had a good closeup camera to provide a photo. Is there any possibility you could write a follow up/addendum on the brown widow?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6522628

We have two identical Rubbermaid storage boxes in the back yard. One contains firewood and the other contains plant foods and soil amendments. You have to to be careful when reaching around in the firewood box because there might be a widow in there. However, I have never seen one in the plant food box. The stuff is all organic, but there is something in there they don't like.
NinasMom
Hinesville, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6522923

I have never seen a black widow in my garden. But I do know about the Brown Widows very well. Last spring, summer, they overtook our back porch area, and our storage building/garage. I have no idea where they came from, but I they were everywhere, what makes it so bad is that they had also over taken my laundry area which is an addition that is on outside in a closet on our back porch. I am not afraid of spiders, but these brown widows were just evil looking to me, and they are not as passive as the black widows, meaning they will attack you if you touch their webs (so I read on the internet) also their venom is more dangerous than the black widow (so I read on the internet). We used lots and lots of raid, in the laundry area/back porch area, plus we got rid of all webs, well all that we could find. But they are still in the storage building, as it is going to be a major task cleaning it out, since we have lots of items stored in there.
I think that adding Brown Widows to the article would be great too.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6523524

Now I will surely have nightmares! Great article though!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6524701

I have to say I know nothing about Brown Widows, but will look into it.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6524763

I have the Brown widows and the Black widows also. We have never had any problem with them. Even the ones that lived in the mail box. I did spray those, for the sake of the postman.

I have hear that there is also a red Widow.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Black Widows in My Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article lessens the fear (a little) vossner 1 May 11, 2009 12:56 PM
A little more info Please? MollyMc 2 May 9, 2009 11:30 AM
I Got Bit beadmom 1 May 11, 2009 3:28 PM
Me, too! imapigeon 1 May 9, 2009 2:47 AM
Nah...Still scared Devota 0 May 8, 2009 6:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America