Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hostas: Your Favorite Hosta...

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 117, Views: 2,576
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blonde_elf
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2001
10:07 PM

Post #13494

...or type of hosta.

I realize everyone's favorite may change on a weekly basis. But, do you have an absolutely favorite hosta (this week?)? What is it? Do you have it in your garden, or is it on your wish list?

I love the big, tall gold/chartreuse ones. The brightest hosta in my garden is Daybreak. I love it! It's on a dark, shady hill and first thing in the morning I can see it from all my backyard windows clear on the other side of the yard.

What's your fave? (*~*)

Sis

September 15, 2001
10:12 PM

Post #128160

Hi BlondE,think today mine is "Pitty Pat" Since I'm thinking of going into miniatures lately but still love my dependable ole August Moon,lol' My fav so far is "Fire and Ice" guess it's fairly new' Don't expect to have it for awhile though,too $$$ for me. See ya,Sis'
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2001
12:33 AM

Post #128205

Oh NO!!!! I can't answer this question!!!!!!! But I can eat just one potato chip!! (Ha-Ha) sue

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 16th 12:20 AM
Funkiaman
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2001
12:54 AM

Post #128212

Gee BlondeE...You always ask the hardest questions!!! I think today my favorite would be Abba Dabba Do. It is still in such good shape with hardly any damage to the leaves. Dark green with good yellow edging. On the other hand, Sun Power (from which Abba Dabba Do sported) is one of my worst looking ones. I think I have it in too much sun. I'm looking for a shadier spot for it...
Justaysam
Highland Park, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2001
1:12 AM

Post #128219

I don't have that many, and most are new (less than 3yrs old)Great Expectation sure looks the best, had them in for 2 full seasons now. Out of the new ones, Summer Breeze sure is showing promise. Its a pretty one for sure. If it fills out, I know it will be beautiful.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2001
1:20 AM

Post #128222

I absolute LOVE "Fire and Ice" but I have found a new love this year-- "Guacamole". It is huge and the leaves still look good and it smels WONDERFUL!!!
smiln32
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2001
3:16 AM

Post #128273

Just one? You want me to pick just one? That's like asking which ONE of my children is the best. I can't do that. But, ok, if I HAD to, it would be Ventricosa, no, wait, Satin Beauty, oh...well, perhaps it's Krossa Regal. No, it's definately...uggghhhhh. Forget it. I love them all.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2001
12:56 PM

Post #128393

Blone Elf..did you get the post I sent about the Hosta named Blonde Elf..how do you like that one?
Ollie
Menahga, MN
(Zone 3b)

September 16, 2001
2:41 PM

Post #128442

Yes, I agree that this is like picking a favorite child, but I always have to go look at Big Daddy and smile that it is so lovely.
Well, since I posted this eight years ago, my loves have changed. It's now a toss-up between June and Pauls Glory and Liberty and Guacamole and...and...and! Needless to say,I've acquired a lot of hostas since my original post!

This message was edited Dec 25, 2009 6:36 PM
blonde_elf
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2001
2:54 PM

Post #128446

Hi Starzz -- I'll have to find your post. I don't have any blonde elf hostas, but will have to get some! I love their color. I sorta picked my nickname on the spur of the moment when I registered, not because I had a lot of BE hostas. But, that will have to change next year!

I agree that my Guacamole and Abba Dabba Do look as good today as they did in May. Lots of mine have gone dormant very quickly -- we had a couple days of cold rain which may have contributed to this. And, Sis, August Moon is in my Top 10. (*~*)
BigDave
Carver, MA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2001
4:28 PM

Post #128476

Last year my favorite was Abba Dabba Do This year it's witout a question Lady Isabell Barnett
Bigadve
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2001
12:00 AM

Post #128681

LADY WHO???? Gee BigDave I had to look that one up in the hosta library!!!!! It sure is a pretty one!!!!!! sue
pupper

(Zone 4b)

September 17, 2001
12:55 AM

Post #128700

I like 'em bumpy.

And if they're green/blue and gold variagated with bumps I'm in love.

Inniswood is a fave right now.

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2001
12:11 PM

Post #129581

I don't know how I could possibly pick just one. I love the dwarfs, varigated, streaks, and big and bold. Guess I love them all! :) Two that really come to mind though are Sea Thunder and Big Daddy.
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2001
1:26 AM

Post #130154

Pupper, I have really been looking for inniswood. Is it really as nice looking as in the pictures? I have not been able to find it at a local nursey only on e-bay or catalogs. sue
pupper

(Zone 4b)

September 19, 2001
2:22 AM

Post #130195

Inniswood is a must have IMHO. It is stunning in the garden.
It definately passes the 10 foot rule.

Northern Grown Perennials and Naylor Creek offer it for $12. I've always gotten great hostas from them.

I'll email you in regards to ebay
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2001
3:20 AM

Post #130241

Sagae is one of my favorites,it has a soft green center with an ivory margin, looks elegant and Sum
& Substance, Patriot, Guacamole, Elegans Siboldiani and on & on & on &on... Love enm all.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4916351

I love the look of 'Golden Tiara' this time of year - this pic was taken this evening - May 6, 2008

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4916736

My my my you really opened an old thread! Those are absolutely beautiful! Gotta have one now!

Doug
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4917203

Wow, this is an old thread, but it's amazing how the hostas that are talked about earlier in the thread as being standouts 7 years ago are still stalwarts in the garden.

Leawood, your Golden Tiara is lovely.

Here's my favorite hosta du jour. It's a young Cathedral Windows.

Jenny

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks

joyceanng
Centralia, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #4917710

Blonde elf,
I just got the hosta blonde elf a couple of weeks ago at a big nursery in Missouri. This poor baby was all crammed into a quart pot. I got it home and spread it out and still potted up one little leftover. This little guy sure makes an adorable mound. Mind you--this was $8 and look at it! Once I gave it some room, it has really opened up and showed itself.

Thumbnail by joyceanng

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2008
9:22 AM

Post #4917930

Wow, what an old thread...

Well of course 7 years later my favorites have changed ;) But I still love BD and ST. I no longer grow BD but my ST is looking awsome this spring.

Leawood, GT is such a nice grower. It's great for edging.

borders; I am loving my Cathedral Windows too! :) I'll have to get out in the gardens and start take some pics.

nice little Blonde Elf you got there joyce; I don't believe the Blonde Elf that started this thread is a member any longer though.
joyceanng
Centralia, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #4918297

Wow!! I never even looked at the date! How cool is that?

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4918358

I bought 'Guacamole' for the first time in 2005 and really like it for color and durability.

rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #4919452

My favorite is still Orange Marmalade. It just glows and really does have an orangy tone to the center. I thought it had died over the winter but it finally appeared better than ever.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72094/
joyceanng
Centralia, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #4920339

Hmmm,
I don't have that one!! I just received stitch in time today. It's such a pretty thing. Can't wait until it gets full size.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #4920544

Well I have only two hostas that have presently leafed out. Chinese Sunrise and Moonstruck. Of those two, I think Moonstruck is the favourite - at least until the leaves melt out. But I moved it yesterday. Maybe this year it will do better. As to what my favourite is of all my Hostas, they've been to bed so long, I really can't say.

Ann
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

May 7, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4921272

Orange Marmalade ranks up there for me, too. Also Liberty as it is first leafing out and Whirlwind is really neat how it gets green lines in the white part
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4921333

I put Orange Marmalade on my list to buy this fall when Plant Delights Nursery has their open house. I saw it there for the first time last year, and Rosethyme is right, it really is a standout and orange not gold.

tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #4922005

Jenny, I think we are going to do the PDN and roundup thing on July 12...Good time for open house, eh?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/829151/

Bev
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4922168

Orange Marmalade as well as St Elmos fire are certainly nice hosta. I have both. Their strongest point however is the coloration that is of a short duration at the begining of the season. I tend to think any favorite to me would be something that stands out all season long. It would also have to have strong substance good mounding and large size. Based on that I would pick Sagae and Blue Angel. But like Jody I beleive there are to many to really pick a favorite. I have a perchant for large and giant hosta but I like the others as well.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #4932494

I kinda like the Blue Umbrella.

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #4932500

Ice Age Trail just planted a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4932504

Last week's planting - Strip Tease

Thumbnail by postmandug

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4932557

That's a gorgeous Ice Age Trail for a new one. Mine is in its 3rd year in my garden and has not yet unfurled, but I don't think it's any bigger.

I worry about your Striptease. It's a variety with a VERY high incidence of HVX and the spots that I've circled look suspicious to me.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4933539

Thanks Ann, I'll keep a sharp eye on it. I bought it and the Ice Age Trail at a nursery just down the road from me.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4934848

Postmandug, if you could get a close up of the leaves for us, and post them in a separate thread, then we might be able to give you an idea if there are any problems with it. Even the best nurseries these days have hostas that may have the virus, except for those that specialize in hosta, and test for it, so don't feel bad if it happens to have a problem. I don't think any of us have escaped it.

Welcome to the forum!

Laura
jhayes5032
Greensboro, NC

May 11, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4934906

I too, love Orange marmalade, but as common as it is, I find June hard to beat. Carnival, Stained Glass and Pineapple upside down cake might round out my top five. BTW, Stained Glass is definitely an improvement over its parent, Guacamole. Here is a pic

Thumbnail by jhayes5032

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4934916

I think for today mine would be Guacamole. It is the largest one in this shot.
Teresa in KY

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4934943

Love Pat is a close 2nd. Jhayes, I only wish I had Stained Glass that is so pretty!

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

kitgary
Springville, IA

May 11, 2008
4:38 AM

Post #4935333

For me, at this point in the spring, my favorite would have to be White Feather.

Thumbnail by kitgary

kitgary
Springville, IA

May 11, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #4935341

I think my overall favorite this year might be Montana Aureomarginata. It is going to be fantastic this year. It's already got a good start.

Thumbnail by kitgary

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2008
9:18 AM

Post #4935574

postmandug
Your striptease definately appears to have the hosta virus hvx. Here is a link you can read up on it: http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm

And if you'd like you could post the pic of it for Chris, the owner and pretty good expert on it here: http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63&sid=c7f66e31df6c898dc5660de8dfdad22a

If I were you I would print out the info from the first link and take it back to the nursery where you purchased it. Many nurseries just aren't away of it and don't realize they are selling infected plants. I would hate for you to have your other hosta get infected too.

Let us know if we can give you more info or be of more help.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2008
9:27 AM

Post #4935582

I have two... my Hosta Nana and Dancing in the Rain.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

May 11, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #4935810

I would have to agree that your Striptease is virused, postmandug. It's such a shame, but that dark green bleeding along the veins on a lighter background is a prominent symptom. I think most of us that have purchased hosta since 2000 have had a brush with HVX. I had two funky Krossa Regal that I pitched and I'm watching a Paradise Joyce as it apparently has a high incidence of HVX. Oh well, at least we consumers are more aware of it the past couple of years and because of forums like this we are learning more about it and how to prevent it. Last year I saw a few sick Golden Tiara and reported it to the management of the nursery. Thankfully they took it seriously. Most of them do, because the problem stems from the growers.

As for my favourite hosta... Liberty and Niagara Falls were standouts last year. Oh yeah and Gunsmoke and Yellow River were awesome. My hostas are still unfurling ... I wonder which ones will Wow me this year.

Sandy
joyceanng
Centralia, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4936519

Kitgary,
Where did you get your White Feather? I'd love to add that to my yard. I'm gonna try to google it. Thank you for that picture. You guys are just killing my "gotta have" list!!
Joyce
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

May 11, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #4936577

I just planted 2 that I got from Van Bourgedien (sp???). I got them buy 1 get 1 free and with 50% off. A sketchy GW vendor but everything I got looks great, came on time and eneded up being cheap, cheap! I also have White Wall Tires and Grey Ghost which, like White Feather, start white. This is my first season watching them start from scratch and it is FUN!
joyceanng
Centralia, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4936854

Maybe I should look into that too then instead of automatically deleting! I guess I'm just gunshy.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #4937027

postmandug - I think several of us agree that you've had the misfortune to purchase a diseased plant. That plant has the potential to spread the virus to your other Hostas. I would visit the links that Jody sent to you and as she suggested, print out the information. Then dig up the plant and take it back to the nursery for a refund. Take the information with you and ask them what kind of testing they are doing to avoid other occurrences of diseased plants. And if you don't get a satisfactory answer, don't buy Hostas from them again. You may have to speak with a manager if they hire kids to work there.

As to my favourite Hosta, I guess it varies from day to day. But I've got to list June up there as one of the big favourites.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4937876

Thanks to all for the help and info. It will be out of the ground tomorrow. The nursery is just down the road and the owner sold it to me so I will make sure she gets the info too.

Doug
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4938486

Walking through the garden today Royal Tiara held my eye.

Thumbnail by doss

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #4938881

That's real pretty.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008

Post #4939031

Although I don't have a nice one in my garden, I think June is probably my favorite too. I love all the hosta in the Halcyon family. Doss, that one really is very pretty and different looking.

Really sorry about your infected hosta, Doug. :(

My favorite hosta in my garden is probably Regal Splendor, which is the first hosta I ever bought and the oldest plant in my garden (this will be the fourth season). I've got a few of them, and none are fully up yet...I think it looks gorgeous in the Spring with the vase like form, and it stays pretty all the way up til the end of the season. Slugs don't seem to want to climb it to snack, and I like how fast it grew for me...this one looks like it's gonna be huge this year, judging from the eyes I see poking up so far.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #4939058

That sure is beautiful. Can't wait until some more of mine become mature.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #4939084

Noreaster - I also like Regal Splendor very much and picked it to become the centrepiece of my new Hosta Garden. We moved it last week when Sandy (Sanannie) came out to my place and it is just to the left of the X in this pic. Will have to imagine what it will look like there, but it was a lovely plant last year and should be even better in this - its 3rd year in my garden. We also planted a few other Hostas and several empty pink pots with names on them for Hostas yet to come.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

kitgary
Springville, IA

May 12, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4939207

Joyce-
We purchased White Feather last year at Webwalkway. When we stopped by there last weekend she had some on hand, but I know she sold out of them fast last year.Linda Edwards@ Webwalkway.com.
She has nice hostas at a reasonable price.
joyceanng
Centralia, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #4939484

Thank you Kitgary.
I gotta have that one even if it eventually turns! How interesting that will be to watch.
Joyce
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #4940079

My favorite one this time of year has to be 'War Paint'. It's so pretty in the spring.

Thumbnail by Rose1656

Lotsalilys
Maple Heights, OH

May 12, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #4940121

It would have to be this seedling which is a cross of SUM AND SUBSTANCE & KROSSA REGAL, it is a nice big puckered blue.

Thumbnail by Lotsalilys

Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4940155

This week: 'Spilt Milk'

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic

Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #4940165

But, a close runner-up, is this one: (don't shoot me, I know it's a 'Christmas ?????' hosta, not sure what one though...or atleast I think it is.) I love the way the leaves grow out, and are long and almost stiletto like.

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4997058

I like Gypsy Rose.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4997916

My Golden Tiara have really taken off. The photo above was taken May 6, 2008 - here's the same area taken May 17 - just a week and a half and look how they have grown!

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4998085

Who says you need flowers for a colourful garden? Love the edging of rocks and the ribbon of Golden Tiara. Delightful garden. Nice job!

Sandy
Lotsalilys
Maple Heights, OH

May 24, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4998532

Leawood, Please tell me what the gold one on the right side of the bed is. That is a nice arrangement!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5001927

Thanks, Lotsalilies! It is "August Moon' - when I planted them (last spring) there was plenty of space between them and the 'Golden Tiara;, but now they look crowded - I will move them back about 6" as soon as the ground dries enough to work properly. I started them from dry-root eyes I bought in the spring.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5017435

LeawoodGardener, lovely setting and colors. Is that an oakleaf hydrangea? If so, it would grow as big as the bed in a few years. Mine did and I have to keep cutting it back. I didn't last year and boy is it huge this year.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2008

Post #5018247

It's Oak Leaf Hydrangea "Snowflake" - there are several in that area. They are very exposed and I was concerned about them making it through the winter. They were pretty puny last year (I was afraid they might not survive) but this year they look better and even have blooms starting. I will trim them to keep them a manageable size and, yes, I may need to re-arrange things in the bed a bit. I have the same hydrangeas in another bed and I keep them at about 4' in height.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5174026

Here's that same bed, one month later (June 26). As you can see, things are getting crowded. I'll do some re-arranging this fall.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #7046203

Samual Blue is my fav. It seems to get bigger every year. I am surprised more people don't have this one. It is almost 36" tall and 60" wide. Bought about 12 years ago in a one gallon pot. It is a nice blue grey as long as the sun stays away from it. Otherwise it turns green. Hopefully my new fav will be Empress Wu. I want to plant Itsy Bitsy Spider next to them!

Thumbnail by franknjim

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7048634

Paradise Joyce

Thumbnail by pirl

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7048887

How can you choose just one? I'm on vacation, but I'll have another look when I get home next week and see what the current favourite is.
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2009

Post #7050765

For two years running, my Arc de Triomphe has been my favourite hosta.

:o)
Erynne

Thumbnail by Erynne

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7052460

Wow, that is gorgeous, Erynne! Are the leaves thick? I might have to find room for that. I like Paradise Joyce and Samuel Blue, too.
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 12, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7053109

Tks Noreaster! Yes, they are fairly thick and the slugs don't seem to bother with it. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this hosta. :o)
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 12, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7053480

Another thumbs-up on Arc de Triomphe here - kudos to Erynne for suggesting this hosta a few years ago. A+

Sandy

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7053832

Nothing has topped H. Unforgettable for me yet.

Thumbnail by weeding

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #7054486

That's gorgeous. I love the smooth ones.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7056065

Arc de Triomphe and H. Unforgettable are definitely going on the want list.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7063675

Sagae has to be my fave right now. I just bought it last year and it's gotten very big already. Everyone that sees it comments on it.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7064493

I also have so many hosats but the one I always say is my favoriet is the H. Honeybelles!!! Have had them for years and still love them. They have a little of everything I love in the huge hosta. The wavy edge, the huge size, and the fragrant flowers. Just my opinion! Ronna

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #7067585

Honeybelle is also one of my favorites! It is dependable, can take various light conditions from part sun to full shade, grows vigorously and divides easily. I had about a dozen located in various places around my house when I bought it in 2000 and today I have many dozens - plus I have given away TONS to friends over the last nine years.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7068235

Yes they do multiply very quickly. The scented flowers are the chocolate on the sundae! LOL. Ronna

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7068477

I'm home and I've taken a walk around the garden. Favourites will vary from day to day, but can I name 10? I've been very happy with the following 17:

Alleghan Fog
Aristocrat
Country Mouse
Deja Blu
Fire Island
Frosted Dimples
High Society
Jewel of the Nile (really stunning this year)
Korean Snow
Little Sunspot
Loyalist
On Stage
Salute
Touch of Class
Venus
Whirlwind
Wylde Green Cream

(Picture is Alleghan Fog)

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #7068490

Of those you mentioned are any in the small to medium size? Thanks.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7068511

So, to narrow it down to 10 -

'Alleghan Fog' - love the misty leaves
'Deja Blu' - lovely blue with a GREEN margin

-------------------------
I've eliminate these for the following reasons.
'Aristocrat' is really lovely in the spring, but doesn't hold its blue colour as well as some.
'Country Mouse' is lovely, but not as dramatic as the larger plants.
'Frosted Dimples' holds its powder blue well, but the white or cream margins are really narrow. I guess I really like wider ones.
'On Stage' is coming on really well, but let's see what it looks like with another year's growth next year.
'Salute' is a lovely green, but again, not really mature yet.
'Venus' has SPECTACULAR flowers, but the rest of the year it's just another lovely green hosta.
'Wylde Green Cream' is still immature. Next year it might make the cut.

Here's 'Deja Blu'

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #7068540

pirl - most of these are small to medium size as I have only a city lot and I have nearly 150 varieties. 'Alleghan Fog' and 'Deja Blu' are each about 18" across and are reasonably mature now.

'Fire Island' - bright yellow in early spring, but still yellowish late in August.
Also fairly small and VERY easy to divide if it gets too large.
This picture was taken late August. I love the contrast of the flowers and the leaves.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7068550

'High Society' - this is a stunner which has seen good growth this year. It's not really mature in my garden, but I don't expect it to exceed 24-30" in diameter.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7068555

'Jewel of the Nile' - really stunning this year as it has become a mature plant.
It's definitely NOT small, but I do need a few lovely large hostas.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7068565

'Korean Snow' - a perennial favourite
Another small plant. This one I've had for 5-6 years. Nice contrast with Campanula Glomerata.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #7068571

'Little Sunspot' - I LOVE this one - its yellow leaves. Maybe, this would be in the top 1 or 2).

Still fairly new to me, but I don't expect it to get too large. This was taken August 28 in a year with too much rain and lots of slug damage to my hostas and it barely has a hole anywhere.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #7068577

'Loyalist' - is doing really well and it doesn't get too large. Another picture from August 28.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7068580

'Touch of Class' - has matured very well since I moved it to a place with more light. It may be slightly larger - say 30" eventually. Picture from early August.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7068581

Finally, 'Whirlwind' - is another old favourite. I've had this one for MANY years and it's not a fast grower for me. Picture from August 11.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7068652

Thank you for your help. I've begun the garden and have some hosta growing but want to add more special ones. I do love the lavender flowers against the gold/green foliage of Fire Island. You've given me splendid choices.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009

Post #7073529

Ooh, I love that High Society! On the want list.

Doug
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7073633

After repeatedly seeing it at my local nurseries, I am changing my answer from my huge Samual Blue to Orange Marmalade. It just screams buy me everytime I see it.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #7075026

I've just looked through this thread and while several people have recommended 'Orange Marmalade', nobody has posted a pic. Does anyone have a good pic of a mature plant? I was given one for my significant birthday this past July and I'm wondering where to put it. It's still in a pot.

Ann
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #7075357

As I am going to buy an Orange Marmalade tomorrow, I don't have a pic. I did however find one of a mature plant here http://www.hostalibrary.org/o/orangemar.html down towards the bottom. Beautiful plant.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7075395

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned June as a favorite. Another favorite of mine is tokoduma Aureo Nublosa and Tokoduma Flavo Citrinales

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7075617

I posted a pic of it LAST year - near the top of the thread. And I guess it should still be on the list.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7075629

hola, i just walked the back 40 (just kidding) and took some pics of a few that stand out now. some other wonderful ones have now faded. but these four are doing great. xuling
this is 'Midwest Magic' planted back under the shade net.

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7075633

and 'Toy Soldier'

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7075634

'Grand Marquee'

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7075638

another pic of 'Grand Marquee'

This message was edited Sep 17, 2009 5:08 PM

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7075643

and finally 'Cathedral Windows' although it has been somethings snack time treat. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7075647

and another pic of 'Cathedral Windows' sorry for the glare the sun was shining on it through the shadows of the olive tree branches. xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7080782

ViolaAnn,

Here's a picture of my 'Orange Marmalade' that was taken May 31. I've had it for (probably) 4 years, and it's not doing much as far as growth. I think mine would be classified as a S/M. I'll still keep it though because I think it is a very pretty one. Really shows up in the garden.

Thumbnail by Rose1656

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7081362

I think OM is supposed to get fairly large, but if it takes while to get there that's fine with me. I just planted mine into the ground in a spot that's close to my Linden tree and I doubt it will grow fast there.
50glee
Huntersville, NC

September 19, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #7081671

oh this is an easy question!

My favorite hosta is - - - - - (drum roll please). Pandora's Box!!
and she would be defenseless without "Toy Soldier"

of course I still love, my "Earth Angel" with "Stained Glass".

"Diamond Tiara" and the "Singing in the Rain" with of course "On Stage" and High Society" makes me think of the theater and NYC - home for me.

"Sugar 'n' Spice" is not to be overlooked either! and "Wide Brim" and . . .and . . .and

hmmmmm
Ok maybe . . .
- just MAYbe I have misrepresented this a tad .. .

Ok Ive got the answer - They're ALL my favorite!! ^_^
hostages
Wyoming, MN

September 19, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #7081883

Give me LIBERTY or give me...

ON STAGE or give me...

TIDEWATER...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #7082859

I have to admit - a mature Liberty is a beauty to behold. Can hardly wait until mine gets there.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7088385

I purched pathfinder and parhelion this year! Both are georgeous. Nice bright colors with very tall flower scapes. Ronna
enelyar
Pickerington, OH

November 14, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7271959

I added 'Sun Power' to my garden this year. It kept it's beautiful yellow color all season long, adding a great contrast to my garden. The plant stayed at about 20 inches tall although the tag said it would get larger. It kept it's early summer blooms for quite a long time.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7274119

I also added Sun Power. But i think mine got too much sun... i will ahve to see how they do next year...if the same.. i will have to move them.

Ann... I too love Liberty. Got it two years ago, but moved it this year -- so it was actually smaller than last... what a dingdong I am.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #7274178

Guacamole is my favorite but I love the yellows. I like Sun Power but am going to have to move it more into some shade. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7274208

BEV -- I too love my "new" Guacamole... can't wait to see it again next year. I just could not believe how BIG it was.

My lady friend had just bought one a few weeks before I brought my "up north" and her's is so tiny ... so i showed her DH [he's the hosta guy] how big it will get.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7279620

Sun Power in this bed gets lots of hot, afternoon sun and seems to tolerate it well with no loss of color. Interestingly, the Honey Belle hostas also can take the heat, but are much lighter green than the same variety in shady areas of my garden.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM
Look at Grecian Vase on Hosta Library SpringOaks 3 Aug 23, 2011 4:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America