Your Favorite Hosta...

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

...or type of hosta.

I realize everyone's favorite may change on a weekly basis. But, do you have an absolutely favorite hosta (this week?)? What is it? Do you have it in your garden, or is it on your wish list?

I love the big, tall gold/chartreuse ones. The brightest hosta in my garden is Daybreak. I love it! It's on a dark, shady hill and first thing in the morning I can see it from all my backyard windows clear on the other side of the yard.

What's your fave? (*~*)

Hi BlondE,think today mine is "Pitty Pat" Since I'm thinking of going into miniatures lately but still love my dependable ole August Moon,lol' My fav so far is "Fire and Ice" guess it's fairly new' Don't expect to have it for awhile though,too $$$ for me. See ya,Sis'

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh NO!!!! I can't answer this question!!!!!!! But I can eat just one potato chip!! (Ha-Ha) sue

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 16th 12:20 AM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7a)

Gee BlondeE.....You always ask the hardest questions!!! I think today my favorite would be Abba Dabba Do. It is still in such good shape with hardly any damage to the leaves. Dark green with good yellow edging. On the other hand, Sun Power (from which Abba Dabba Do sported) is one of my worst looking ones. I think I have it in too much sun. I'm looking for a shadier spot for it......

Highland Park, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't have that many, and most are new (less than 3yrs old)Great Expectation sure looks the best, had them in for 2 full seasons now. Out of the new ones, Summer Breeze sure is showing promise. Its a pretty one for sure. If it fills out, I know it will be beautiful.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I absolute LOVE "Fire and Ice" but I have found a new love this year-- "Guacamole". It is huge and the leaves still look good and it smels WONDERFUL!!!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Just one? You want me to pick just one? That's like asking which ONE of my children is the best. I can't do that. But, ok, if I HAD to, it would be Ventricosa, no, wait, Satin Beauty, oh...well, perhaps it's Krossa Regal. No, it's definately....uggghhhhh. Forget it. I love them all.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Blone Elf..did you get the post I sent about the Hosta named Blonde Elf..how do you like that one?

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, I agree that this is like picking a favorite child, but I always have to go look at Big Daddy and smile that it is so lovely.
.................................................................................................................................
Well, since I posted this eight years ago, my loves have changed. It's now a toss-up between June and Pauls Glory and Liberty and Guacamole and.....and....and! Needless to say,I've acquired a lot of hostas since my original post!

This message was edited Dec 25, 2009 6:36 PM

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Starzz -- I'll have to find your post. I don't have any blonde elf hostas, but will have to get some! I love their color. I sorta picked my nickname on the spur of the moment when I registered, not because I had a lot of BE hostas. But, that will have to change next year!

I agree that my Guacamole and Abba Dabba Do look as good today as they did in May. Lots of mine have gone dormant very quickly -- we had a couple days of cold rain which may have contributed to this. And, Sis, August Moon is in my Top 10. (*~*)

Carver, MA(Zone 5a)

Last year my favorite was Abba Dabba Do This year it's witout a question Lady Isabell Barnett
Bigadve

LADY WHO???? Gee BigDave I had to look that one up in the hosta library!!!!! It sure is a pretty one!!!!!! sue

(Zone 4b)

I like 'em bumpy.

And if they're green/blue and gold variagated with bumps I'm in love.

Inniswood is a fave right now.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't know how I could possibly pick just one. I love the dwarfs, varigated, streaks, and big and bold. Guess I love them all! :) Two that really come to mind though are Sea Thunder and Big Daddy.

Pupper, I have really been looking for inniswood. Is it really as nice looking as in the pictures? I have not been able to find it at a local nursey only on e-bay or catalogs. sue

(Zone 4b)

Inniswood is a must have IMHO. It is stunning in the garden.
It definately passes the 10 foot rule.

Northern Grown Perennials and Naylor Creek offer it for $12. I've always gotten great hostas from them.

I'll email you in regards to ebay

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Sagae is one of my favorites,it has a soft green center with an ivory margin, looks elegant and Sum
& Substance, Patriot, Guacamole, Elegans Siboldiani and on & on & on &on..... Love enm all.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I love the look of 'Golden Tiara' this time of year - this pic was taken this evening - May 6, 2008

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My my my you really opened an old thread! Those are absolutely beautiful! Gotta have one now!

Doug

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Wow, this is an old thread, but it's amazing how the hostas that are talked about earlier in the thread as being standouts 7 years ago are still stalwarts in the garden.

Leawood, your Golden Tiara is lovely.

Here's my favorite hosta du jour. It's a young Cathedral Windows.

Jenny

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Centralia, IL(Zone 6a)

Blonde elf,
I just got the hosta blonde elf a couple of weeks ago at a big nursery in Missouri. This poor baby was all crammed into a quart pot. I got it home and spread it out and still potted up one little leftover. This little guy sure makes an adorable mound. Mind you--this was $8 and look at it! Once I gave it some room, it has really opened up and showed itself.

Thumbnail by joyceanng
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, what an old thread...

Well of course 7 years later my favorites have changed ;) But I still love BD and ST. I no longer grow BD but my ST is looking awsome this spring.

Leawood, GT is such a nice grower. It's great for edging.

borders; I am loving my Cathedral Windows too! :) I'll have to get out in the gardens and start take some pics.

nice little Blonde Elf you got there joyce; I don't believe the Blonde Elf that started this thread is a member any longer though.

Centralia, IL(Zone 6a)

Wow!! I never even looked at the date! How cool is that?

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I bought 'Guacamole' for the first time in 2005 and really like it for color and durability.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

My favorite is still Orange Marmalade. It just glows and really does have an orangy tone to the center. I thought it had died over the winter but it finally appeared better than ever.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72094/

Centralia, IL(Zone 6a)

Hmmm,
I don't have that one!! I just received stitch in time today. It's such a pretty thing. Can't wait until it gets full size.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well I have only two hostas that have presently leafed out. Chinese Sunrise and Moonstruck. Of those two, I think Moonstruck is the favourite - at least until the leaves melt out. But I moved it yesterday. Maybe this year it will do better. As to what my favourite is of all my Hostas, they've been to bed so long, I really can't say.

Ann

Bettendorf, IA

Orange Marmalade ranks up there for me, too. Also Liberty as it is first leafing out and Whirlwind is really neat how it gets green lines in the white part

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I put Orange Marmalade on my list to buy this fall when Plant Delights Nursery has their open house. I saw it there for the first time last year, and Rosethyme is right, it really is a standout and orange not gold.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Jenny, I think we are going to do the PDN and roundup thing on July 12...Good time for open house, eh?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/829151/

Bev

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Orange Marmalade as well as St Elmos fire are certainly nice hosta. I have both. Their strongest point however is the coloration that is of a short duration at the begining of the season. I tend to think any favorite to me would be something that stands out all season long. It would also have to have strong substance good mounding and large size. Based on that I would pick Sagae and Blue Angel. But like Jody I beleive there are to many to really pick a favorite. I have a perchant for large and giant hosta but I like the others as well.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I kinda like the Blue Umbrella.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Ice Age Trail just planted a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Last week's planting - Strip Tease

Thumbnail by postmandug
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's a gorgeous Ice Age Trail for a new one. Mine is in its 3rd year in my garden and has not yet unfurled, but I don't think it's any bigger.

I worry about your Striptease. It's a variety with a VERY high incidence of HVX and the spots that I've circled look suspicious to me.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ann, I'll keep a sharp eye on it. I bought it and the Ice Age Trail at a nursery just down the road from me.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Postmandug, if you could get a close up of the leaves for us, and post them in a separate thread, then we might be able to give you an idea if there are any problems with it. Even the best nurseries these days have hostas that may have the virus, except for those that specialize in hosta, and test for it, so don't feel bad if it happens to have a problem. I don't think any of us have escaped it.

Welcome to the forum!

Laura

Greensboro, NC

I too, love Orange marmalade, but as common as it is, I find June hard to beat. Carnival, Stained Glass and Pineapple upside down cake might round out my top five. BTW, Stained Glass is definitely an improvement over its parent, Guacamole. Here is a pic

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I think for today mine would be Guacamole. It is the largest one in this shot.
Teresa in KY

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Love Pat is a close 2nd. Jhayes, I only wish I had Stained Glass that is so pretty!

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.