Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Do you "topiary?

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 15, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6529485

DO YOU TOPIARY??

If you do, show us your secrets!! I was at a local greenhouse and saw this magnificent steed and could not help but think how incredible and to show him off! I saw the same horse a couple years earlier so will post those pics too! He is gorgeous!

While I dont have a clue how he got to be, I sure would love to learn!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6529493

The year before...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6529498

last years again...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6529503

How they keep him up year after year is truly beyond me!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 14, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6547850

Oh I missed this...
Hi Blossom, Great topiary! I don't have a clue how to do it , but that nursery makes a wonderful job of it.
Thanks for sharing, it's a magnificent horse!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6551306

Well, I have not tried anything like this either, but am willing to give it a go. Yesterday we were driving out in the country and I saw one of those Christmas ornament animals that people put in their front yards that have lights on them and they were throwing it away. I could not stop and get it and though shoot, get it on the way back.. but by the time we got back it was gone so now I am going to look for throwaways to try and build one.

They look like fun, but no way am I making a big horse like that!

This message was edited May 15, 2009 10:19 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6563067

I sooo wanted that moose and today someone answered an ad I placed so I am hoping to go pick it up! I am so happythat it looks like I still will be able to get it!

Well, need to scoot! She is waiting for me to call her!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6567527

Got the moose!!! WHooohoo!!

Now I have no clue as to what to do.

I am thinking, first I need to strip it of the lights. Then get some chicken wire.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6571521

Ok, we stripped the lights off Mr. Moose and here he is now in this stage.

I am going to have to go hunting for some chicken wire. Now, I am not sure what to do next. But the hub and I have been thinking and first we need to stablize the critter so he stands better so we are thinking maybe to make a box of some sort so he can be anchored into it and we can put flowers in his box later. So we are going to take a little time to ponder how we are going to do this. If any one has some ideas, chime in please!

I am also pondering the idea of going with some silk flowers instead of real. but well, we have some time to ponder this too since we still have to make him (her?) stand better!

Oh, forgot this moose has a cool feature in that the head swings from side to side so we need to really think on how to protect the mechanism if it is going to remain outside or even have live flowers if we are going to keep that feature!

Man, I think this is going to be a fun project!

So far, cost = ZERO. It was a freebie recycle from

www.freecycle.com

So so far, how awesome is that!

This message was edited May 19, 2009 4:28 PM

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2009
10:28 AM

Post #6573563

I've only seen them done on tv. They line the form with moss them fill in the center with potting mix then start sticking starter plants all over the form. After that it's a matter of watering pinning and trimming. Try a small leafed ivy...or a creeping ficus if you don't want to do all the pinning and trimming. Another method I saw,was to stick the form over a small leafed evergreen such as boxwood and trim and shape as the shrubs grows...but I don't see how you could do that with the moose 'cause his legs aren't big enough to fit over a shrub.

If you want to skip the lining w/ moss and filling w/ potting mix just locate him in the yard,plant a small leaf vine next to him and train it over the frame.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6573936

Well, thats what I was thinking to do the moss thing and the potting soil. Gonna have to get some chicken wire. I figure the legs could go plantless unless like you said, do the vine thing. I have boxwood.. just would need tons of starts. I like the ivy idea and I like how they did that horse, but first we gotta get the base done. Get the thing mounted. It will be interesting how it ends up! Thanks bigred for all the ideas though! Keep those coming!

Then just how does one overwinter the beast?
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6574609

When we lived in Calif, there was a place on the coast that sold topiaries at wholesale prices. So I bought a few. I had some really cool ones, a little table was one of my faves. They were extremely hard to keep going. Every one of mine died. :( They just dried out too much. The places where you water were too small for the longer stems I believe. Perhaps here in the PNW it would be easier to keep them going. I just love them. You don't see them very often and when you do, they're very costly. At one time I even looked around for classes on how to do it, thinking since there were so few places selling them, it might be an interesting thing to get into.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6575531

That was one of the reasons I liked P's idea of just growing the viney plant on it. I have bittersweet adn if you could tame the beast and train it to wind themoose nicely.. that woudl be cool then cut him out after he is all cvered then you would just have a woddy looking moose later or considering the silk flowers thing...I know the live one would be a tremendous amount of work and then there is that winter issue.

Perhaps the bittersweet is the way to go, then he could be brought indoors later when cut from the garden and dollied yp with the silks.

Well we are still deciding!

The topiarys I have seen truly do look like a lot of work and babying.

Well, we did locate some chicken wire... still pondering the base and how to make him more stable.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7192137

Neat link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/993198/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
8:43 AM

Post #7327577

Well, the moose is still sitting on my porch.. naked as a j-bird! I grew fond of him that way and just could not get myself to topiary him...yet!

In the mean time.. here is another of my ideas that cam to truition.. The hub made the wire for this pothos to climb on and well it seems to be happy!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7448852

Found this link to a topiary making!

http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php?id=931

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America