Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Squills, Bluebells and Glory-of-the-Snow...the Other Spring 'Blues'!: Creating a woodland setting with Squills

Communities > Forums > Article: Squills, Bluebells and Glory-of-the-Snow...the Other Spring 'Blues'!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Squills, Bluebells and Glory-of-the-Snow...the Other Spring 'Blues'!Replies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Streamwood, IL

May 10, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6529593

I am trying to fill the wooded area of my backyard with millions of Spring Scilla. The problem I have is that now they are going to seed and I have too many dandelions over growing the area. Of course I want the seeds to spread and germinate. But if I put down weed & feed to eliminate the dandelions, will it harm the Scillas and the germination of the new seeds?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6530489

Hard to say: the weed and feed is mostly a killer of dicots not monocots...scillas are monocots so may be able to survive. I think you need to do some serious investigation on the situation.

This message was edited May 10, 2009 3:56 PM
bluminghausen
Columbus, OH

March 23, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8445341

I would encourage you to consider something other than squill. Over the years they will spread beyond the border of your yard and are nearly impossible to get rid of.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Squills, Bluebells and Glory-of-the-Snow...the Other Spring 'Blues'! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you for a wonderful article. leaflady 5 Sep 8, 2008 3:42 PM
Excellent account of beautiful bulbs lortay 0 Sep 8, 2008 3:01 PM
Thank you - my woodland trail thanks you beebe 0 Sep 8, 2008 11:20 PM
Longevity of Chionodoxa? linnea56 2 May 8, 2012 7:57 AM
Nice! fancypantsnancy 0 Sep 9, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America