-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6531109

A new thread as requested - everyone is welcome to join, post your daily weather and whatever!

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982597/

78.4 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 66 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Low 67. South winds 5 mph.

NOID rose at 6:30 this morning

This message was edited May 10, 2009 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6531245

Thank you!, still sunny. got 25 Rutgers tomato plants into the earth today. Tomorrow squash & melons.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6531302

25 plants, holey moley!

Sharon, your rose looks like the "7 Sisters" that I have, but it probably could be anything.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on May 10, 2009
78 F
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

some kind of prickly pear

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6531307

purple prickly pear

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6531380

"Rainy" season done for a bit. Cool today, high was 62.
Got some peas & beans planted today. This is 3rd planting of peas & 2nd planting of beans. I try to get the plantings lined up so that when one planting is done producing another is ready.
My son got the rest of the tomatoes in the ground this afternoon. Mostly types of cherry tomatoes. A full row along the side of the 60 ft high tunnel.
Things are really popping in there.

Off to work on the porch tomorrow. Hopefully be done in a couple days.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6531569

Another "just right" day. Sunny and warm but not hot. Darrell and I went to an aquarium today. Saw some great stuff but the only pics are on my phone.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6531794

Kelli is that Purple Opuntia yours or a Trail plant?
If yours ... I collect Opuntias... lol!

Well yesterday wasn't really too bad just long. 13 hours long...
We took some carpet up to Dayton finally.
Tempers are flaring among Sister's and BIL's (me being a BIL...LOL!) .

Everyone's been watching DIY Programs and think they know how to do things.
But it's more like Renovation Realities up there.
So basically we told everyone... mess w/ us and we leave... for good!
I dropped walls in the Laundry Room and a closet... gives the place a more 'finished' look.
Robyn painted and helped lay the carpet.

Today we worked in OUR yard till about 2PM.
Beautiful partly cloudy ... perfect gardening weather.
Then went after more carpet and supplies...
we're going back up tomorrow when we can work by ourselves.
1/2 my day will be redoing the 'expert' BIL's work...
Good news is we're about done...
then we will go back to doing Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter... LOL!

Here's one of the 'dropped' walls... I'll sand and blend the mud tomorrow and prime.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6531827

I'm hoping this week I can get my garden tilled finally and get my tomatoes in. Then buy my melons and other fruit from work so I don't have to mess with seeds. Seeds and I don't get along. LOL

Now dyson dark and cold!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6531889

We did find a great deal on plants at Lowe's today.
14 racks of Clearance... GOOD Clearance...
Hosta's, Gerber Daisies, Hardy Ferns, 2 different Thornless Blackberries,
Geraniums (80 cents a pot!) everything was 50-75% off and in not too bad shape.
More TLC than Emergency Surgery needed plants.
Just not Great Looking but very well grown and healthy.
We totally filled a cart!

The yard is really responding to all the new sun.
I've never had Iris do this well before.
Clematis are popping everywhere.
Spiderworts and Peonies (or Piney's for those of you in the South) are just opening.

Here's a Mother's Day Bouquet

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6531913

I may have to take a trip to Home Depot in the near future and see if they have a clearance rack. LOL. I need annuals since my seeds won't do anything for me (GRRRR).
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6532621

Dyson I know you are looking forward to harvesting your veggies!
Kelli Ill have to check out 7 sisters. Thanks for the tip!
Bernie You are always busy, busy!
Ric Nothing like family LOL! You did good on the Lowes run!
Pepper Check at Walmart too. Make friends with the person in the gardening section. Dave here always gives me plants for less than the clearance price.

72.1 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 64 F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 74 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. West winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

It's disgustingly muggy outside. I still have a lot of vine pulling to do. There are blackberries growing under the oleanders. I'm waiting for them to finish producing before I mow over them LOL! They sure are yummy. I want to clear out that area then let it come back on my terms. There is plenty of work to do in this yard.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6532716

Good morning!

It's windy and raining this morning, 53F. The wind's blowing from the south now which means that we'll have rain for most of the week while up north and the east will get a heatwave ... they're predicting temps in the 60's and sun up there! I'm jealous! lol

Sharon - wow you have a lot of work to do! Good luck tackling that wine! No small task in that muggy heat!

Sally - thanks :-) Hope you're feeling better! The negotiations have finally ended and we have a new government. It was announced yesterday. Since the election we've been literally bombarded with news about how horrible things are and that the newly elected gov. isn't doing anything/enough to tackle the problem. Well, they'd have to be magicians to make it go away wouldn't they? I'm sooooo sick of this, I can't even tell you. I don't think the situation is weighing too heavily on the girls on a daily basis although they do wonder from time to time. It's a good opportunity to teach them that money doesn't grow on trees ... and that you can't always get what you want ;-) lol They want a trampoline now ... the past two years of the madness they popped up in every other yard. They're huge and take up a lot of space that could be otherwise used for plants ;-) lol. And needless to say they're imported so they're not exactly cheap! There are three in this street ... they want one too. Sigh. I told them they could go over and play with the kids that have the trampolines. lol

Adina - gorgeous sunset!

Kelli - love those prickly pear flowers!

Ric and Bernie - you are so busy! I wish I could accomplish about a 1/4 of what you guys do in a day! lol Or that my DH would at least ;-) lol

Hi to everyone I haven't mentioned! :-)

Rann

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6533325

Good morning!! I'm mostly recovered from the fall last weekend - one wrist is still a little sore. Now I'm sore from digging and weeding this weekend! LOL It's a good sore, though. :-)

That's a great prom photo, Joey. Brooke is gorgeous!

The oleanders look MUCH happier to me, too, Sharon!

Rusty, I'm glad you are ok! I'm glad you have a generator, too. They are such a blessing!

Sally, yummmm... rhubarb! I'm glad you're feeling better. Sinus infections can be awful. :-(

The horses are beautiful, Celia! I've heard of them before, but I've never seen them live. I'm sure that was great!

Kelli, it was so disappointing to hear about Manny. I can imagine you feel even worse!

Dyson, yayy! worms! :-)

Ric, I'm so glad you're almost done with the house. That has to be really stressful on all of you - especially when you have to redo the work that others did wrong. :-/

Rann, I sure hope your new government can pull things together well, although I'm sure it won't be done quickly.

Kiska, yikes about the floods and ice jams! I'm glad the volcano is far enough away not to be causing more trouble around you. It's interesting to hear your reports about it. Right now both of my girls are interested in volcanoes. Saturday was the big bunny's birthday, and we gave her a volcano model kit. She and dh mixed up the plaster and put it in its mold yesterday. Tonight they will paint it. I'll take some photos of it when they are done. :-) It "erupts" with the help of baking soda and vinegar and a bit of food coloring. We'll have to wait for the paint to dry before doing that.

It's going to be hot and muggy, with a chance of rain. I need to go out and water the garden in case it doesn't rain - which of course means it probably will. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (54 min ago)
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 30.00 in 1015.9 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy late, then partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and heavy rainfall in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6533404

I m doing okay at my own house in Joplin but I have another house in Webb City which I try to sell it but I went there yesterday and here's my good tree back yard with old fence so it rip the roots and tree down in my yard so also back of the house roof shingles blew off some of it... I took my phone camera and try to get upload to my computer so it is so terrible to see it...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6533406

Back of the house roof

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6533412

The tree's root is 7 ft. tall and 10 ft. wide!

This message was edited May 11, 2009 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6533422

Top of the tree down about 30 ft. to the house very lucky!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6534159

53 and raining again, I think I will need a boat.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6535882

Rusty sorry about that south Missouri storm. We lucked out and missed all that bad weather the other day here in the N.W. corner of Missouri. May have to check out Lowe's this week for discounts!! Thanks for the info. Ric. Some plants are getting way to high at some places.
Have a great evening everyone.
Cuckoo

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6536133

Oh, Rusty! Sorry to see that tree down! But, everyone is okay and so is the house, right?

We have overcast skies but it's still warm. No rain expected. 77 now and a peek at what the summer will be like.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6536459

My Ex- DH and I were repair and fix the roof which is bathroom roof so lucky shingles just blew off so I has some good shingles which I save it for happen so some roof nails and it took about 2 hrs to finish it then I have to let someone who has chain saw to cut for free firewoods! so I have do clean up the branches after it all cut up first... If not then I have my ex do it for me...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6536672

Cool and sunny today.

I went out and looked at my compost pile earlier. I had thrown some potato peels in there some time ago and now I have potatoes growing in there. LOL. My compost pile is also my garden that hasn't been tilled yet so now I'm trying to decide what to do with them. LOL

Rusty, glad damage wasn't worse!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2009

Post #6536813

66* Sunny; mostly blue sky~the summer is off to a fantastic start with many days of sunshine and perfect temperatures already.
Again, I'm too far behind for comments; but, thanks, Sharon for the new thread and the beautiful rose blossom.
We took the short drive up to Matanuska Glacier this afternoon. It's only about 60 miles and the good weather was a plus. There were several Mt. Sheep in "Sheep Mt." area and swans on patches of open water. Most lakes have ice and the leaves are not yet open up there. There is a tinge of green so spring is headed there, too.
Sea Gulls on icy lake.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6536821

Matanuska Glacier~about 60 miles from Palmer.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6537044

Rusty, I'm glad you got the house fixed and the tree cleaned. It must be a relief to get that done.

Kiska and Rann, you'll probably think this is funny, but when I was a little kid, I thought that volcanoes only existed in the days of the dinosaurs. When I got a little older, I thought that they were only found in the tropics.

Dyson, I wish I could send you some "dry".

Weather was pretty seasonal today. It started out cloudy and it burned off by mid morning. That's pretty common this time of year.

Updated: 7:51 PM PDT on May 11, 2009
65 F
Clear
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 9 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.83 in (Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
(Above Ground Level)

giant bird of paradise - How giant? The flower cluster in the lower third of the picture is higher up than I can reach.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6537049

amaryllis of the kind that is not uncommon around here - Yesterday it was innundated by vinca, which I pulled out yesterday. You can see the vinca behind it that I left. The stuff is impossible to eradicate. It even survives in the wild here.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6537058

first daylily of the year - It's a minature. I don't know what kind.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6537240

kelli~the flowers are beautiful and the Bird of Paradise is spectacular.
Before coming to Alaska, I too, had no idea that volcanos were a major part of the geology here.
Sunset tonight is at 10:30pm and with the sunny sky now at 8pm, lingering light will make for a very long day.
Road over Hatcher Pass will open later in the season.

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6537434

Stopped raining, the sun came out and I got some plants into the ground.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6537457

Sounds great, Dyson.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6537671

Rann- I could do with the temps being in the 60s too. I remember us bugging our parents for a trampoline we never got one LOL!
Marylyn I missed the post where you fell. Im glad you doing better. Take care of those sore muscles.
Rusty You really lucked out that the tree didnt go through your house. Such a beautiful tree too. Glad you werent there either.
Cuckoo Im glad those storms missed you too.
Pepper Im cracking up!
Kiska - Nice pics!
Kelli Thats is the biggest BOP Ive ever seen. Pretty blooms!
Dyson I was hoping your rain would make it this far SE. It missed us by about 30 miles.

71.1 F
Overcast
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 63 F
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3200 ft
Overcast 4300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy and breezy. Not as warm with a chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 77. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Tha a/c went out yesterday. It was 85* in the house before the repair guy showed up. We had a back door front move through last night (the you God!). We are back into seasonal temps for a couple of days. JIA was at 94 yesterday - we hit 91. Just way too hot this early in the season. No rain last night lots of noise from the storms moving through SE GA.

Damselfly

This message was edited May 12, 2009 6:00 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #6537898

Yayyy! I just took my last two pills and have just about got my sea legs back!

46* and it's going to mbe a beautiful day before tomorrow's rain. My lawn is emerald green and newly mowed!

I'm a bit behind again, so I won't catch everyone.

Dyson, even when I was little I liked to watch Dad turn our almost acre. The dirt is gumbe and it was so black and shiny. I'm turning worms too! The robins follow me.

Sharon, I've printed the recipe in Recipes. I'll find the link when I have more time. It's the best I've ever had! I had a severe sinus infection. I always try to get over it myself. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Except after 50, then it can kill you :o) I'll never go thru another one without pills now. Especially since my Mom was susceptible to sinus. Gorgeous rose bud to start us off!

Kelli, I might have 7 sisters too. Does yours come with deadly grabby thorns? We'll have to post pictures and compare. Mine won't bloom till June. Pretty prickly pear.

Ric, if they're smart, they'll let you do your thing and be finished! The house is ging to be nice! Pineys are midwest too. First time I heard my Grandma say it I had her show me the plant ROTFL!! Beautiful Mothers Day bouquet!

Sharon, I love blackberries and your's look healthy. Too bad you can't move a few to a corner where they won't invade the neighbors.

Rann, Our government isn't much better. I'm so sick of back biting negitivity. I hope your's can get something accomplished and your lives can be less stressful. It sure is hard on kids.

Marylyn, sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you're better! I'll bet the Bunnies love the volcano!

Rusty, that is not a good selling point is it? It's terrible to lose a big tree. The roots are huge! Your poor roof! Yes, you were very lucky it missed it! I'm glad you have some help in cleaning up the tree.

Pepper, ROTFL over your luck with peelings!!

Kiska, icy lake. I love that desctiption. It's very visual. The birds sure don't mind cold feet. The glacier loks pretty cold too! Hard to believe you still have roads closed.

Kelli, thanks to TV, we learn there are volcanos everywhere!! Talk about prehistoric, I love the Bird of Paradise. I see the potential blooms way up there. Aww, beautiful amaryllis and daylily! I have a mini daylily called Tinkertoy. It's a creamy yellow. Maybe lighter than yours.

Sharon, love blue damsel flies!

I'm caught up!! Yayyy!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #6537899

Good morning!

Still windy, but the sun is out for the moment. Rain in the forecast though. 49F.

Rusty - sorry about the tree - glad the damage wasn't worse. Certainly lucky that it didn't hit the house!

Kiska - great photos :-) Enjoy the good weather! :-)

Kelli - you have some gorgeous amaryllis. That tall "tree" in the first photo - is that the bird of paradise ???!!? It's huge! I think your childhood ideas of volcanoes are very normal considering what'd you'd see on TV and in kid's books over there ;-)

Sharon - glad you could get the AC fixed! And here's hoping for cooler temps your way ;-) You'd cool off in a real hurry up here with this hefty wind blowing! lol

This week is Eurovision Song Contest week and we're very excited about it. It's a chance to forget the troubles for a few days :-) The first semi-final is tonight, the second on Thursday night and the Final is on Saturday. The Icelandic representative will go on stage tonight (and Romania too! :-)). The top 10 songs go on to the final. I think she should be in the top 10, but realistically it could go either way. Here are a few video clips of the song:
This one is interesting, a few clips of older entries as well and clips of Iceland :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7AmZGS2gq8
video of the second rehersal of the Icelandic entry+ interview with the singer: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/multimedia/videos?id=2416
And the official video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVSXCohyrQ
The singer, Yohanna (Jhanna Gurn) is 18 years old. She sang on her first album when she was 9. She's incredibly talented. The song is called: Is it true? and somehow seems very appropriate now given our current situation. If anyone's interested you can watch the show live here : http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home and here too I think: http://www.esctoday.com

Have a GREAT day!

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6540231

We got through to the final! :-) And so did Romania :-) Congrats Adina :-) Other finalist were Sweden, Finland, Armenia, Bosnia&Herzegovina, Turkey, Malta, Israel and Portugal (in random order).

Iceland was drawn out the the last envelope so needless to say we very getting a bit nervous! lol

Have a good night! And where is everyone ????

Rann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6540296

Yayyy!!! Yohanna's voice is beautiful!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6540529

Thanks Marylyn :-)

It's 10:30 pm now, still bright as day and it's getting horribly hard to get the girls to go to sleep... we're so ready for summer vacation! lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6541245

Cool, in the mid to upper 60s for a high today. Cloudy most of the day too. Had a breeze all day but this afternoon it picked up and when I left work it was blowing hard enough that I had some flats falling off the railing that they are sitting on outside. I warned a coworker about it and went home. lol.

Made a bit of progress in the garden today. Got my red twig dogwood planted. That' it. LOL!!! It's still muddy out there and it clumps up but I had to get it planted. It wasn't happy in the pot. If the rain holds off til afternoon tomorrow I will get my tomatoes into pots. I want to put them in the ground but I can't even get it tilled and they keep drying out so it's time to transplant.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6541271

Helloooo! Well, what a beautiful day we've had! The temp got up to 70 & lots & lots of sunshine. :D It was a great day to go to Lowe's...I just had to use that gift card! LOL My big mistake was taking JW by the riding lawn mowers! Whew! I liked to never tore him away so we could go home. :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 63F
Feels like: NA
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: NA
Humidity: NA
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:16 AM
Sunset: 8:23 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Rann, I really need to go take a look at your links. :) But am thrilled that Iceland made it to the finals! Yippee! :D
Marylyn, Thanks, Glad that your bruises are healing! I hope your pride has healed too. ;)
Rusty, Glad that you are safe! That was a huge tree! :-O
Dyson, Glad that you are all right, too. Did you all not get all of the rain we had? There was a tornado in Bland county...I just got worried for ya.
Sharon, Thanks, I just love your back 'fence' line! A perfect back yard! :D And Black berries! Mine are blooming...at least the ones that I have left.
Kelli, Your Day Lily is so pretty! :D I can't wait fro mine! I do have a bud coming on my Stella D'orra.
Sally! Strawberry-Rhubard! Yummmmm... We had so much water this week end that I found a few drowned worms! So sad...
Kiska, I really like the snow pics! I don't care what season it is. :) Shoot! I like all of your pics! LOL How are the MG's doing? I sent some to DebinSC & she sent me a pic of the vines...they look really great, like yours. She's going to send me some pics when they bloom. :)
Mau, The Amaryllis still isn't up. It's in the Lily section of my yard; they are all up but that one. I have a question...do deer like them? One night a week ago Jack was in the house & wanted out really bad. When I let him out it sounded like he was chasing something fast down the driveway. The next day I went out & found my Oriental Lily out of the ground. I hunted everywhere for the Amaryllis, which is supposed to be close by...& couldn't find it. I know that squirrels like bulbs, but Jack has killed 2 since he has been 'out of jail'.
Bernie, Sounds like you'll have lots of things to put up or sell! All your hard work will pay off, for sure! :D
Ric, Are you back to work yet?
Pepper, Good luck on the tomatoes...Some times Mother Nature doesn't cooperate.

Well, I need to go clean the living room floor...JW! :D
Have a good nite all!
Joey

(look what I found!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6541569

Joey is that some kind of Centuria?
Nope on the work. At least three weeks yet...

Rusty glad tree damage was all you had.
Looks like here back in the Fall.

Kiska... Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Here's the Bathroom up there... just a little paint and trim to go.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6541624

Our Middle Pond is up and running

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6541651

Kelli those amaryllis are gorgeous!
Same scourges here... Vinca and Boston Ivy.

57 here and rainy conditions are moving in.
We worked on the Gardens all day today.
Tired but work I love... I figured out I garden because I must.
Cut and harvested a bunch of bamboo for the screen behind The Well in the Brickroom.
Fixed some broken yard watering pipe.
Cleaned up the Brickroom (somewhat) and started moving in the plants.
This area will change dramatically in a few weeks as the Water Plants, Bananas and Sunchokes head for 7'+ in height.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2009
9:58 AM

Post #6542146

Sally Im happy you are feeling better! Your lawn sounds so pretty.
Rann- Congrats on Iceland making the finals! Youll have to keep us posted. I agree Yohannas voice is incredible!
Pepper Good luck with the planting!
Joey The squirrels dont eat my amaryllis bulbs. I know nothing about deer LOL! Pretty bloom. I should know the name, but its escaping me right now.
Ric Your hard work is paying off looks good! Love the pond!

70.9 F
Overcast
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 62 F
Wind: 4.8 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 73 F
Clouds: Overcast 2300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Variable cloudiness and breezy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 79. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Last year my moss roses were pink and orange. This year they are pink, orange, white and yellow! Here's a white.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
11:13 AM

Post #6542282

Good morning!

We're still in 7th heaven, this is going to be such a fun week :-) Looking forward to tomorrow's semi although we can't vote in that one ...

Still horribly windy, can someone please turn off the windmachine! lol My daffs are all starting into bloom now and they're just getting hammered :-( Looks like I'll have lots of "cut" daffs this year ... Sunny, looks like it will cloud up soon though, might get some sprinkles. Around 50F. Would be very nice if it weren't for the darned wind ...it's the kind that almost blows you off your feet ... very unpleasant.

Sharon - thanks :-) Very nice moss rose - those are so pretty :-)

Joey - sorry about your Amaryllis going missing. Why was Jack "in jail"?

Ric - looking good! :-) You have so many neat plants!

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6542310

We had terrible wind yesterday, too. Still blowing this morning although not as hard. Was from the south, which we have no protection from. Supposed to turn west today. Our grove will break it up then. Actually got by pretty good. Only one of the greenhouses have minor damage.
Years back a wind like this destroyed a greenhouse we were building at the time.
60 & a little rainy.

Not sure what is going on today. We had planned on working on the porch, but won't because of the wind. To dangerous. We are 15 ft off the ground & next thing is putting on the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood.

My son will probably work in the cabinet shop & I will do some weeding in the high tunnels.
(Weeds grow in there very well, too.)

To windy at market for plants yesterday, so I only took eggs. I sold 25 dozen. So people are getting used to the idea of buying them there. last year we didn't have enough & would run out. People don't stand for that very long.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6542344

Rann, what a wonderful way to forget!! Yohanna sounds incredible!

Congratulations, and to our Romania too!!!!

Pepper, it's frustrating isn't it ? I would buy a bag of good dirt and remove the wet stuff. It might be the only solution right now.

Joey, thank goodness mowers don't run on quarters!! That had to be cute! I love your Centaurea!!

Ric, at least you have a few weeks to do what you need to do. Nice bathroom! What a nice pond! I swear I can hear it. Just think, only a few months ago it was iced over, :o) And the garden is beautiful now!! So relaxing!

Thanks Sharon! It makes all the difference in the world!! Pristine white. So pretty!

Rann, We rarely have a calm day either. It does make cool weather unpleasant!

Oh Country, plywood and wind. Only if you're making wings, LOL!

58* and beautiful right now! I dumped 4/10'' of yesterday evening's rain from the guage and it's supposed to rain again today. I hoed the garden yesterday morn knowing the weeds will pop today. I'll have to get pictures. Nothing prettier than wet dirt and a row of whatever growing :o)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6542641

Sally - Thanks! It is! Now we have an excuse to have 3 parties in one week! lol Sorry it's so windy over there as well. It really is a pain. Although, it's very breezy here most of the time, it's unusual to have such heavy winds this time of year - they're fall/winter strenght and it's May already! (45 mph sustained winds, gusting to 56 mph) It's supposed to calm down this weekend - can't wait! :-)

Bernie - hope the wind calms down over there soon too!

Here's a clip of last night's performance - if this was a singing competition I think she'd win it, she was so amazing. And the backing vocals were perfect as well :-) So proud of them all! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_TdXMufMA

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6542746

Thanks for the comments!

Rann she is VERY good.
In fact as good as most that are currently 'Stars' here in the USA.
A bit hesitant at first but once she got into it she really sold that song.
(Plus I play Cello so... lol!)
Regardless of the contest outcome she has a future.
Here's a couple of links if any of you haven't heard her yet.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zwac_2009-iceland-johanna-gudrun-jonsdot_music

or

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zwac_2009-iceland-johanna-gudrun-jonsdot_music

Rainy here and 54 .
There is a bit of blue peaking out from the West so we may just make the 74 predicted.
Whoops the sun just broke thru!
We're going to a Feed and Plant store here in a bit.
They have terrific prices on pots and plants.

Bernie I'm glad you work and play safe!
I've been under the gun slapping down plywood to beat a storm.
Humans aren't made to be gliders.
How many chickens do you have?
25 dozen is a lot of eggs.

bp I hope the rain lets up for you.It's not all pretty and peaceful...lol!
You can see the gap where I harvested the Bamboo.
The canes are about 12-15' tall. A few hit 22'.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6542760

LOL!
Rann we cross posted!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6542863

Too much to catch up on! LOL Except...

Sharon, your gardens are looking fantastic. I'm impressed.

Actually, I'm impressed with everyone's gardens. :-)

Marylyn, Pepper and Sally, glad you're getting better.

Kiska, great pics!!!

44.0 F with 59 for the high. Back up to 80s in a few days.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 41 F
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 12 F
Wind: 6.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph
Pressure: 30.19 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

The hummers are back!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6543001

We have about 200 hens. We get around 14 dozen a day. We'll need them when market gets busy. I hope we can keep up with demand.

A number of years ago they were building a bridge over the Mississippi River. Windy day. A guy was carrying a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. Wind took him over the side & he did use it like a glider right into the water. Uninjured, but wet.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6543012

Wow. Glad he wasn't hurt but I'll bet it was funny to see.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6544107

Whooo--I'm waaaay behind--can't possibly comment on everything!
However, Sharon, I did read your note that you got the ajuga! :o))
I had a great Mother's Day week-end--hope the rest of you ladies did, too.
"They" are showing my house this afternoon so I'll have to come back later.

We are currently between showers today--the sun is actually shining--but the rain is moving back in tonight. :o(( The ground here is "squishy" and we need several days of sunshine to dry it out but that won't happen until next week, according to the weather people.

Currently 82 F and sunny.

Joey, here is a field of yellow weeds--er, uh, flowers--don't know if these are the same as your "creasy greens" but, if so, down here we call these "bitterweed".

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6545562

Was hot and humid today. We hit 90 at one point but then dropped down to high 80s. Then storms popped up and tornadoes in a few areas (not near here) and caused some damage. We had a heavy downpour for a little while and now we just have black skies due to storms south of us. They were all kinds of colors until just a bit ago.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6545574

Gorgeous Celia!

Bernie that's a lot of chickens!
But it sounds like your getting a good yield and market for them!

And Sue these are Chain Saw Cutting sized grasses...

Well Good News Marcy! I guess...lol!
Having to have surgery is never good news but this one warrants it I'd say.

We went to Reading Feed & Garden this morning.
For pots... got no pots... except those w/ plants in them.
This is a VERY VERY Dangerous place for gardeners...
lousy service... prices hard to find... very disorganized...
BUT Great Plants and a Great Price... so...

The funny thing is all the pots for sale were from NCE...
the place that went out of business next door to my work.
Well go back for those...

We got a bunch of cleanup done before the T-Storms hit.
Plus I potted up about 2 dozen EE Pups...

Oh and we got a rain cover put up on the Hot Tub... looks like we'll need it this week.
One of the new EE's (pups to the right) guarding the Brickroom... which is open for business.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6545627

Pepper we cross posted.
Glad everything is OK there.
We didn't have much heat... mid 60's... so the T-Storms didn't have any punch here.
Lots of noise, steady rain and little wind.

63 here now clearing and the temps are supposed to go up overnight.
So we'll probably see more rain by morning.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6545706

Ric: nice Brickroom and aptly named, too!
Joey: I forgot to answer your question about the amaryllis: I don't know if deer like them or not. Is that an answer? LOL My amaryllis have already bloomed so if yours is not up yet, I would guess that it didn't make it through winter in your zone--sniff, sniff You would probably have to grow them in a pot and bring them inside for the winter.
Rann: Yohanna is very talented, indeed!

currently 79F--no rain since morning--the sun came out and it was wonderful to see it again. "They" are forecasting storms in the early morning hours, though (between 4 and 5 a.m.)

Last week I took several photos of the scenery on the way to my daughter's house. I thought you all might enjoy a "tour" of north central and northwest Arkansas. It's not a movie like Kelli's recent tour was but you can click on "slideshow" to see larger images and it is almost like a movie.
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/May6ToHarrisonEtc?authkey=Gv1sRgCOjTmqD1wbqhmwE#

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009

Post #6545722

Busy day today. Had a late lunch with one of my DBs, went shopping for plants, watched a movie w/DB then dinner with Darrell.

I got a few sedums, a couple columbines and one lamium.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6545724

Winky Double Red and White.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6545737

Clementine Dark Purple.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6546022

I was not a big fan of 'adjusted' Columbine Celia but these are nice!
Not nearly as gaudy as most I'm seeing at the nurseries.
I do though like the and have several of the Nora Barlow's.
I'll be looking yours up.

We just left the Hot Tub and the winds are picking up.
Rain's moving back in.

Some of the little 'clearance guys' we got Sunday
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2009
8:04 AM

Post #6546535

Good morning!

Sunny and still very breezy, but it seems like the wind's lost some of it's punch from the past 3 days. Around 50F.

Marsue - thanks! I couldn't open your link - got the message that the album wasn't public ... I would very much like to see them ;-)

Celia - nice plants!

Ric - the brickroom looks good :-) Love the fountain :-)

We're very much looking forward to tonight's second semi-final ... the hot favorites are Norway and Greece. It'll be interesting to see if they live up to the expectations.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #6546631

Bernie I hope you were able to get some work done yesterday. Have the winds died down?
Rann- She has an amazing voice! Fingers crossed that she wins!
Celia Pretty hummer!
Pepper Stay safe in those storms!
Ric the brickroom looks great!
Mau Ill come back to look at the slideshow
Celia Nice haul on the plants love the colors you picked.

Overcast
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 65 F
Pressure: 30.09 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 70 F
Clouds: Overcast 500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the morning... then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 81. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

No significant rain for 26 days. We're keeping fingers crossed that it's coming soon. Yeloow moss rose

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6546783

Sharon - thanks :-) She won't win, I'm pretty sure of that ... but if she gets top 10 we'll be thrilled! :-) We'll see on Saturday - whatever happens there will be Eurovision parties all over town (there always are). LOVE the yellow moss rose, they're so pretty :-) Hope you get some rain soon!

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6546859

Mornin'! It's 63 & very breezy! Could a rain be coming? LOL! I do believe so. :)
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 63F
Feels like: 63F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 59
Humidity: 88%
Wind: 8 mph S
Sunrise: 6:15 AM
Sunset: 8:24 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Rann, She surely has a beautiful voice! No Wonder you all are so excited! Good Luck to her! and keep us posted. ;) The reason that Jack was in 'jail' is that he killed a rabid raccoon in the front yard. The guy at the health dept. had us keep him in quarantine for 45 days. There was a 1-in-a-million chance that he could get it, BUT! he didn't! :D
Ric, Your water gardens are Great! What is that gorgeous pink flower?
Celia, Your new babies are beautiful!!!! I love the colors! My Columbine are just starting to bud & open.
Bernie, Hate that the wind deterred things for you, but I know you will persevere! :)
Mau! Your scenery looks much like here! What a good ride. I don't know if the bitter weed is the same as the creasy's. I should look it up! LOL Is the bitter weed tall? Like about 2 1/2 feet? Here's a link that Darius wrote about them... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2352/ And I will look for my Amaryllis, hopefully I can find it to save it.
Sharon, Thanks, Hopefully a deer didn't get it. I need to get out there... :D
Sally, LOL It was very funny! And am so thankful they didn't take quarters! LOL or I would still be there!

Well, better go look for my Amaryllis...

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6547219

Morning!
Wow what a rain.
First the cats woke me up about 6 AM (and I didn't kill them) then the T & L hit.
Lots of Flash Boom and a TON of Rain.
It was still raining fairly heavily when I got up at 7:30 but now it's just a steady gentle rain.
64 now supposed to be Sunny and mid 70's this afternoon.

Thanks for the comments!

Joey what is that Columbine?
I've had it for a couple of years and lost the Tag.
The pink plant is Thalictrum aquilegifolium (Feathered Columbine or Columbine Meadow Rue.)
When it comes up in the Spring it is impossible to tell the foliage from regular Columbine.
About 4 years old now, 4'+ tall and we've had no self seeding.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/501/

BTW I consider Darius a good friend and we frequently bounce off ideas about projects.
She'll be up here in a few weeks for the RU and I can't wait to see her again.
She was a General Contractor and gave me some very good tips on the Sewing Room build.
Her depth of knowledge is incredible.

Sharon I love the Moss Rose!

Anyone know what this is?
Ric

This message was edited May 14, 2009 12:23 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6547510

Joey, I have never seen bitterweed that has grown to be 2 1/2 feet in height but it's possible that it could grow to that height.
Celia: nice succulents and columbines. I especially like the succulent in the center at the bottom of the photo--does it have a name?
Rann: I don't know why you couldn't view the photos--if I send an "invitation", anyone who clicks on the link should be able to open it. If you want to dmail me your email address, I can send you a personal invitation and see if it works.
Sharon: Pretty moss rose. I wish I could send you some of the rain we have been getting. We had more showers early this morning and the yard is starting to feel like a wet sponge beneath my feet whenever I take Friday outside. I keep a beach towel beside the back door for drying Friday's feet before I let him back in the house.
Ric: sounds like you and I had rain storms at about the same time this morning! Your clearance flowers will do just fine, I am sure. Buddy and I bought some mums two seasons ago that were on sale for 25 cents per plant. They are doing great and one of them is even blooming out-of season now.
Pepper: I hope you weren't affected by the tornadoes and storms that went
through Missouri yesterday!

This is "Gunny's rose". A DGer on the Mid-South forum gave me a cutting last year from the original old rose which belonged to her grandmother. The grandmother was lovingly called "Gunny" by her family. The buds are a pale pink and when the buds open, the blooms are almost white. It has a very light scent, as well. For me, it's a privilege to have this rose.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6547899

Rann, Yohanna has a beautiful voice and I'm sending happy thoughts her way that she'll win.

Sharon, hope you get that rain soon! That MR is very pretty!

Ric, I like them, too. Post pics of your Nora Barlow's again. I may have to get some.

Joey, I'm in need of a baby fix! LOL

Mau, what a pretty rose! I'd feel the same. That succulent is Sedum spurium 'Fulda Glow'. It will have bright pink flowers.

59.9 F with 70 for today. Yippee!
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 1.0 mph Variable
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6547922

Here you go Celia.

We had 2.25" of rain in the last 24 hours.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6547928

Thanks, Ric. Oh, dear. Now I need to go get some of those! LOL
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6548033

Cool and rainy this morning but the sun is starting to peek out a bit.

I've been so busy here that I've fallen way behind.

Kiska...Loved the glacier photos.

Ric...your "Brickroom" sure looks like a cozy retreat.

Rann...I watched the video. She has quite a voice!

More cut-backs at work so I'm working a modified 2'nd shift now. 5pm-1am.
Here's a nice stand of wildflowers I passed by yesterday afternoon. They fill a small stream valley.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6548110

Very cloudy & 73, not supposed to rain until tomorrow.

I bought some more veggies plants on the way home from work and need to till space to plant them.

Best regards too everyone!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6549436

I had fun here today.

This message was edited May 14, 2009 5:36 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6549446

And here.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6549465

Funny thing, I had fun here, too!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6549494

"All along the Watch Tower..." (Yes, my yard slopes that way.)

This message was edited May 14, 2009 5:48 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6549591

The results are in, these countries made it through:
Norway, Greece, Aserbaijan, Estonia, Ukraine, Denmark, Albania, Lithuania, Moldova, Croatia (notice the number of eastern european countries) ... All 5 nordic countries made it through to saturday's final.

Celia - Wow! so many cool plants :-)

The wind has finally calmed down, I think it's supposed to be decent tomorrow :-)

Off to bed now ... it's midnight and almost dark. Won't be long until we'll have daylight all through the night.

Rann
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6549607

Got a inch of rain today which will make ideal conditions to plant out tomatoes on Saturday. Temps in the low 70"s.

Learned on TV tonight that the 2009 Jeep my husband bought in December - with a dealer guaranteed life time of free inspections- will probably have to be taken elsewhere for inspections and they probably will not be free. The dealership was closed by Chrysler. And we have 20 more friends out of work.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6549724

Well I'm sitting out in the Brickroom trying to get used to this keyboard.
I'm covered in mud to the knees.
Of course the Sun came out just as we finished working...LOL!

We got the Brickroom about finished.
Mucked out and weeded...Pea Gravel put in the cracks and crannies...
Many more plants repotted of divided...
We used a spade and a saw to divide the Mexican Petunia...
Plants are looking a bit happier.

Well getting Skeetered so I'm out of here... torch filling tomorrow for sure.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6550155

Low 70s today, very small breeze, sunny and all around a nice day.

Na damage here from the storms. The tornadoes were all north of me a few hours. One tornado hit a town that I have family in and when my sister said that my uncle was standing outside looking for it last night. He wanted to see the tornado blowing around. A few relatives were rolling their eyes. Me included!! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6550342

But se_eds the warranty will still be good and free.
That's what was scaring a lot of people.

55 and getting foggy here.
Tomorrow mid 70's.
My feet are Coal Black... sandals and muck... lol!

Ric

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
8:02 AM

Post #6550981

Good morning!

It's finally calm! Or at least it seems that way after these past days of heavy wind. Just a light breeze now :-) Mostly cloudy, could clear up, about 42F.

A photo of the "crop" of Daffs broken in the wind these past days. I picked them on Wednesday ... there are more that broke yesterday that I haven't picked yet ... it's a wonder there are any left!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6551052

Joey That columbine is gorgeous!
Mau I love Gunnys rose!
Celia Awww Monty looks like belly kisses time!
E_B Thats a pretty shot! I hope your job gets back to normal soon.
Celia Your lawn is looking good! The weeping cherry is really filling out.
Rann - I was hoping Yohanna would make it to the finals. Everyone in the competition is so good difficult decisions to be made soon LOL!
Se_eds Im sorry to hear about your friends loosing their jobs. I hope your warranty will continue to be valid.
Ric I recently read somewhere that if you put a dryer sheet in your pocket while outside it will make the skeeters leave you alone. I havent tried it yet, but plan on trying it this weekend.
Pepper- Your uncle was soooo lucky
Rann- Thats a pretty bouquet of daffs!

71.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 30.15 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 70 F
Visibility: 2.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 100 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy dense fog in the morning with visibilities less than one quarter mile at times. High 83. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

We had a smattering of rain last night. Watered the lawn anyway because it was no where near enough. We enjoy watching all the birds bathe on the wet tree leaves when the sprinklers run. I took some pictures but they didn't turn out.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #6551121

Sharon - she did make it to the final :-) - it will be tomorrow night.

There are 42 participating countries, 25 will compete in the final (10 from each semi final and 5 that move to the final automatically (France, Germany, Spain, Britain and the host which is Russia now since they won last year).

Final lineup for the final is as follows: Lithuania, Israel, France, Sweden, Croatia, Portugal, Iceland, Greece, Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Malta, Estonia, Denmark, Germany, Turkey, Albania, Norway, Ukraine, Romania, United Kingdom, Finland and Spain.

Norway, Greece and Turkey are predicted to be the main contenders for first place. Our song has no chance of beating them, we'll be lucky if we finish in the top 10. Many recording companies have shown great interest in Yohanna - no surprise there ;-)

We finished 14th last year in the final which was our best result in years. First time we made it to the final after they introduced the semi-finals. Our best result ever was 2nd place in 1999, but that was before the eastern european countries joined the contest and the semi-finals started. Back then there were about 20-25 countries competing, now they're over 40 so it's changed a lot in the past years. I think the show's gotten better ( and now they're 3 instead of 1) although it's harder to get a good placing ... the bottom line is it shouldn't be taken too seriously, it's just good fun. It's a total circus, you never know what's going to happen, nowhere else can you get such a broad variety in music styles in one show (from pop-opera to ethnic styles, techno, pop, rock, swing, ballads and pretty much everything in between), most of it's no good, but there are good songs in between and it's just a great excuse to have a party ;-) lol Quoting the Icelandic commentator: "As this is Eurovision it's logical that a song about gipsies sung by a guy in a cape is followed by an Elvis impersinator" ... lol The girls absolutely LOVE it! :-) And if nothing else, they're pretty well versed in the geography of Europe and neighboring countries as a result. Would they have any idea that Aserbaijan even existed if it wasn't for Eurovision? I don't think so. ;-) They like to look up the countries in their geography book and check out the flags ... I grew up watching it too and loved it as well (still do!) lol BTW the German entry this year is performed by an American singer ;-)

I think Norway will get 12 points from Iceland ... they're already playing it on the radio. Very catchy song.

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6551438

Good Mornin! :D It's finally stopped raining. What a downpour! The poochie got stuck outside in it & needed a good towel drying @ 10:30. It started raining at 9:30! And the big cat must be around, because he's not wanting to go out this morning...
At Dublin...
Fog: 64F
Feels like: 64F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 64
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 0 miles
Wind: 3 mph NE
Sunrise: 6:14 AM
Sunset: 8:25 PM

Sharon, Thanks! They are coming up everywhere! Glad that you got some rain...some's better than none, huh? Maybe you will get some more soon. :) I had some Rose Moss last year & kept putting the seeds back into the pot. Low & behold! they are sprouting! :D I had no idea they would over-winter! :D
Rann, It's always the catchy tune that wins. :) Glad that she has some recording companies looking...and I don't know why not her voice is gorgeous! Your Daff's are beautiful! and you can enjoy them Inside! :D
Ric, I have those little flowers here, too. They're wild & I love to see them bloom. I tried looking them up, but didn't come up with anything. There's a wild daisy that looks very similar. ~ I have no idea what kind of Columbine it is...it was given to me... Darius! :D She's a wonder! Very special in my book! :D Tell her hello for me! :D
E_B, Glad that you made it back! Sorry to here about work. Hope everything turns out ok. Love that pic! I'm trying to imagine a whole field of them! Wow! And the little 'ham' doing? :) I'd say he's a laugh a minute! ;)
Celia, I'll have to take some pics of JW. I don't think that I've taken any since Easter!(shame on me) I would have had fun in your garden, too. I consider that 'play'...much more than washing the car! ;)
Mau...:( I couldn't find it. I looked & looked. I even dug up (partially) a couple of other Lilies in search of... :( I think that the Bitter weed is different than the Creasy, but I bet if I ask Darius...she would know. Love the Gunny's Rose! It looks very similar to my Granny's!
Se_eds, Glad that you got the good rain...hope that (& feel sure that) you will have all of the things honored on your Jeep. It is a contract, after all.
Dyson? Did ya Git-R Done? LOL!!! I'm talking about the tilling, of course! :D

Well...gotta go.
Have a Great Day! Everybody!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6551612

Joey the 'Daisy' looking pink plant is Erigeron philadelphicus or Common Fleabane.
I was able to get my plant data base opened finally.
(I need one that's Vista compatible... the upgrade on my program is FAR too expensive)
I found the Columbine also it's Winky Purple and White.
I'll give Darius a HUG from you.

What big 'big cat' were you referring to? I must have missed that.

Sharon the sheets from our dryer are Queen sized and would hardly fit in my pocket.
Oh dryer sheets... never mind... lol!

Rann it's good that the show is entertaining AND educational.
Kids need to see people working together .
From my viewpoint it's interesting to watch the European nations attempting to come together in some kind of peaceful unity too.
W/ so much history and the 'me first' attitudes...
it reminds me of my SO's Family during this remodel we're doing.
As long as things are going well everyone is happy.
Add a little stress and it's 'My way or the Highway' as we say around here.

W/ all the wind you all have over there I think I'd be growing all my easily snapped plants.
Daffs, Tulips, Iris, Peonies thru supports or cages.
http://www.nenature.com/Garden/plant-supports-flower.htm

57 here going for 77 and sunny at present.
T-Storms moving in by afternoon... I think we've moved into mid Summer mode...;-)

Remember - - -
'STRESSED' spelled backwards!
is 'DESSERTS'

Ric

This message was edited May 15, 2009 9:28 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6551773

LOL, Ric! I'll have to remember that. It's sorta like, "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade!"
Celia: Your garden is looking good! Don't you just love getting dirt under your fingernails when you are planting new plants? I'll be doing that today. Went to Lowe's yesterday and succumbed to the beauty of some caladiums. Used part of my Mother's Day gift to buy a big pot and some potting soil to put the caladiums in.
Rann: It's great that something like a "talent contest" (or whatever you want to call it) can also become a geography lesson for your girls!! Congratulations to Yohanna for making it to the finals! those are some gorgeous daffs!
EB: as usual, your photos are excellent! Hope the job stays secure for you.
Se_eds: I heard about all the closing of the dealerships on TV this morning, but as others have said, your contract should hold--it will just be more inconvenient for you to have to travel a greater distance to another dealer.
Pepper: so glad tohear that yousuffered no damage from the storms. About your uncle: what is it about people that makes them do things like that?
Joey: It would appear that the amaryllis didn't make it through your winter. So sorry about that--I suppose you would have to grow one in a pot which you could bring inside during the winter season. Awww, JW sugar--so sweet! Is he a Dale, Jr. fan? LOL
Sharon: Yay!! You got some rain. Hopefully I have sent some more down your way. Let us know if the dryer sheet in the pocket keeps the "skeeters" away!

Awoke to the sunrise this morning which has been a rarity around here lately! Yard is still "squishy" but I hope to be able to get it mowed, or at least a portion of it, today.

Friday discovered a varmint of some kind under the storage shed yesterday. I had to pull hard on his leash to keep him from going after it. All I saw was a black tail so I'm not sure what it was--a rat or a snake or something else. I'm thinking it was a snake because the tail was too "fat" to be a rat's tail. If so, it is the first time I have seen a snake around here. There is a pond a couple of blocks from my house and I am certainly hoping that a water moccasin hasn't migrated up my way from the pond! Everything is so wet that it wouldn't surprise me if that is what has taken place. You can better believe that I will be very cautious when doing anything in my flower beds in the future! All the plants have grown so much in recent weeks due to the rain that it is hard to see the ground in the flower beds and there are lots of places for a snake to hide. Hopefully, if it is a snake, it is just a common black snake and not a water moccasin. I don't think I'll be doing any weeding today!
Everybody have a good day! --and be careful--it's a jungle out there! LOL (just ask Joey about the "big cat"!)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6551898

Joey - I forgot to mention earlier, I'm glad Jack's OK ! That must have been scary! I can just imagine how happy he was when he got out! :-) lol JW cute as always :-)

Ric - LOL, yeah that describes it pretty well :-) Even between the nordic countries that tend to "stick" together on a global base the comradery is pretty superficial. lol

Marsue - Gunny's rose is beautiful :-) Plants with such a history are so special :-)

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6551920

Marsue - we crossed. Sure hope it's not a water moccasin, wouldn't want that lurking around in the flower beds! Yikes!

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6551942

South wind again today, strong!

Heading out to Iowa Round Up right after lunch.
Close by this year, only about 100 miles.
Be back late Sunday.

Have a good weekend,
Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6552124

Have fun, Bernie!!!

Mau, YIKES!!! Hope it isn't a WM!!! Yes, much fun to have dirty nails.

Sharon, glad you got some rain. Not much but it helps. I took some pics of a goldfinch on the feeder yesterday and they didn't turn out, either. I was very upset. LOL The cherry IS filling out! I'm very happy.

Rann, sorry about your flowers being snapped, although, they are pretty in the vases.

Ric, mucky feet? Sound familiar...:-)

EB, more cutbacks? Sorry about that. Very scary.

59.1 F with 70 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph
Pressure: 30.11 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 7500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

The 'Batik' irises opened.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6552754

A few days ago someone asked about the rose Seven Sisters. Mine isn't any more thorny than any other rose, but it is a young one grown from a cutting.

I have some kind of ailment that most people would call the flu but there is no fever. I'll survive, no biggie. DH worries when I don't eat, but lack of appetite is a blessing in disguise.

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on May 15, 2009
76 F
Clear
Humidity: 48%
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
UV: 10 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

giant bird of paradise flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6552774

Since columbine seems to be the plant of the week, here's mine. Nothing fancy.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6552777

epiphyllum "Michelle Davis"

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 15, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6553582

Great pics, duys! I've been gardening a lot these days until late at night, including watering. I took lots of pics, especially of the poppies coming up on the field.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6553796

I think it's special, Kelli. Look at those spines in the back. Pretty cool!

I got an invitation for target practice with my brothers today. This is the AR15.

This message was edited May 15, 2009 5:05 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6553802

Ruger 9ml.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6553812

This is a Russian rifle built in 1948. Kind of heavy and with a bit of a kick. After about 5 rounds, I was done with that one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6554140

Been a stormy afternoon and there is still storms in the area though it's quit here. The storms have lots and lots of lightning and have a couple times dropped wall clouds and at least once a funnel cloud. I was at work when they started forming and it is very interesting watching all that happen in person. I had to drop plants down to the ground off the railings so they wouldn't get blown away. Then I could only stand there and keep an eye on the storms cause it got really dark. So it has been very interesting here. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009

Post #6554481

We're under a Tornado Watch until 2 AM... IT HIT 84 here today!
10 PM and it's still 70

Celia I thought you all out there played w/ BIG Toys.
We went out today
Here's how we target shoot.

Ric

This message was edited May 15, 2009 10:04 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6554498

LOL!
For some reason he was flying around here for about an hour.
Obviously at one point he was right overhead.

We even got a wave from them...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6554942

Well, I will duck if too closing... lol...

So, I have now raining and T-storm again until 1 am Saturday and Poor Rusty scared of thunders alot...

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6555394

Joey I let my MRs self seed too. Did yours come back different colors too? JW is a cutie-patootie!
Ric- LOL! You could always wear as a diaper LOL!
Bernie I hope you had fun at the RU!
Celia Love the color of the Batik!
Kelli I hope you feel better soon! What does that flower measure? Has to be huge as the plant is gigoondous! Your flowers are so pretty!
Adina Great pic of the poppy!
Celia Youre Annie Oakley!
Pepper You are in the middle of a volatile area. Stay safe!
Ric- Were they looking for someone? My first thought when I see a helicopter flying low and in a continuous is circle someone is running from the law! I head inside and stay there.
Rusty Send me some of that rain! Give Rusty scritches and hugs from me.

71.8 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 80%
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 F
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 83. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

We're going to see Star Trek at the IMAX theater in World Golf Village tonight with some friends. We'll be travelling an hour South, but Jeff really wants to see on the "huge" screen LOL! He's so funny - we have a theater 2 miles away LOL! No rain yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6555565

Good Morning All! :D We got some more rain yesterday evening, but thankfully not as much! Greenbrier CO. got the majority of it. It's 64 right now & the sun is shining.
At Dublin...
Fog: 64F (they must have gotten a lot of rain, too)
Feels like: 64F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 64
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 3 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: NA
Sunset: NA

Sharon, Thanks, :D My MR is just starting to come up (way behind you). Probably becuz I left them out side all winter. Is yours the same color? I let you know how it turns out. Gorgeous Rose! :-O
Rusty & Pepper! Stay safe!
Pepper? Isn't the sky amazing when the weather is changing? :D
Ric, LOL! Your visitors remind me of the You Tube video...ACDC's Thunderstruck, with helicopters. ~ I thought that you knew about the mountain lion that comes to visit once a month...Big Cat. I just wonder if she came while Jack was in the pen? It could explain why the coyotes didn't come around for several nights. Thanks for the Names! :D
Celia! A girl w/a gun! You go, girly!! :D Everybody gets mad when I target practice w/ them...I'm the only one to hit dead center.
Kelli, Your flowers are Awesome! I really like the yellow (golden) Columbine! :D
Mau, I hope the snake is a Black Snake! Yep, I'll have to do an Amaryllis in the house during winter. :( And, btw, JW's mommy likes Dale, Jr. :) I'll have to start buying him Jimmy Johnson stuff ;)

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6556444

It's a glorious sunny and warm day, with a high around 60F!!!! (my thermometer reads 64) :-) And the best part is that there's only a slight breeze blowing :-)

We're all looking forward to tonight's competition - seems most people are in a very festive mood today. As someone pointed out yesterday, the fact that we're in the final tonight is the first good news this nation has had for over 7 months ... or since the crash ... little wonder we're getting all excited about it! lol We're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be in the top 10 ...

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6556518

Celia, shooting is fun, though I haven't done it in years. I never was interested in hunting but I liked to shoot targets. I was better than the men in my family. We have a story. One time we were shooting at one of those old metal oil cans with a muzzle-loader. I had never shot one of those before. The can was on a stump and on the ground was a soda can. I aimed for the oil can but hit the soda can, but the guys said that I could hit a soda can with a muzzle-loader.

Ric, I assume that there is a military base near you?

Sharon, the giant b.o.p. flower has got to be twice the size of the more familiar b.o.p. flower. (They are different species.)

Rann, I can feel the excitement from here. :-)

It feels like it is going to get pretty hot today. You can tell by how it does or doesn't cool off at night. Me, I'll just be dragging around. This feels like the flu but there is no fever.

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on May 16, 2009
74 F
Haze
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 56 F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.85 in (Falling)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 7 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

epiphyllum "Sunset Boulevard"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6556528

Echinocereus sheerii, or something like that

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6556533

Don't you think they would have to drag me kicking and screaming back to zone 5?

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6556909

Ric, the "big toys/guns" don't come out until the weekends!!! We were practically by ourselves. We have a military testing site about 10 miles from where we were. Black helos all over the place! LOL

This was our view across Utah Lake to the Wasatch Mtns. It's a fresh lake. The GSL is only about 20 miles north of this one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6556919

And...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CUCKOO!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6557354

The results are in!

1. Norway won by a landslide ... it was clear from the start and broke all records :-) We were rooting for them so we couldn't be happier.

2. place ... (drumroll) ... ICELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

3. place Aserbaijan

It was a pretty close race for 2nd place so the reading of the votes was pretty tense, we went up to 2nd place, then down to 5th, then 3rd and ended in 2nd :-) That ties our best result 10 years ago so you can imagine that the Eurovision parties will be lively tonight! lol

Have a good night! :-)

Rann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6557434

Happy Birthday, Cuckoo!!!!

Congratulations, Rann!!! 2nd place is awesome! I just watched the promo video of Norway's song. It was really fun! He did a great job. :-)

I've never shot a real gun. I'm not very good with a BB gun, though, so I'm probably a pretty crummy shot with a "real" one, too. LOL The view is gorgeous, Celia!

I hope you are feeling better, Kelli. I wouldn't want to move back to zone 5b either. I'm WAY too spoiled now! Brrr..

LOL, Ric!

Sharon, I hope you're having a good time watching the movie on the fancy screen. Let us know how you like it.

E_B, I'm sorry to hear about your job.

Have fun at the RU, Bernie!

Thanks for the JW fix, Joey. I read your comment about buying Jimmy Johnson stuff for him to my DH (who doesn't care a bit for NASCAR, or any sports, really), and he said "That's funny... as long as she doesn't actually do it." I told him that I would totally do it!! ROFLOL

It's raining here - yayy! Despite the fact that the reservoir west of town is still full to the top (I have no idea why they are keeping it so full), we really needed some rain. Not a lot... just enough to water the plants. Hopefully we won't get any more flooding. We've had plenty of that for one month!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (16 min ago)
Temperature 78 F 26 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 63%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 14 MPH
G 21 12 kts
G 18
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling 5500 ft 1676 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Severe Weather Statements
Type Issue Time Expire Time Expires In
Flood Statement Sat, May 16, 5:13pm CDT Sat, May 16, 6:15pm CDT 5 mins

Scattered showers and thunderstorms affecting primarily the central and western counties of the forecast area late this afternoon. The heaviest rainfall of around 1, to over 2, inch per hour accumulation rates is falling from northern Austin, southern Grimes into western Harris counties. There is a short fuse flood advisory out for these regions through 615 pm. Main threat these storms pose will be heavy flood-producing rainfall rates from nearly stationary storm movement to wind gusts in excess of 25 knots through sunset.

Tonight Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Lows in the mid 60s. West winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening shifting to the north after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent in the evening increasing to 60 percent after midnight.

This message was edited May 17, 2009 7:49 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6557470

Rann: congrats to you Icelanders on the 2nd place win! Hooray! Sounds like you are having some good weather, too. :o))
Celia: the Batik iris' are gorgeous! Target practice, huh? I suppose it was to spend some "quality time" with your siblings? LOL Lovely photo of the lake.
Kelli: beautiful flowers! Is that your patio so full of plants? It's very pretty. Hope you are feeling better now.
Pepper and Rusty: hope the storms are over in your area.
Adina: that is such a pretty poppy!
Ric: good photos of the helicopter. Like Sharon, I would imagine they were looking for someone or something.
Bernie: I hope you have a good time at the Iowa RU this week-end and that the weather is good.
Joey: below you will see a photo of my St. Joseph's Lily in bloom. It seems to me that the blooms aren't as big this year as they were last year. Maybe I need to feed them? LOL

Hooray--it stopped raining long enough yesterday for the sun to come out and I actually spent about two hours weed-eating. The yard was too wet to mow, though, but it did look much better after the weed-eating. "They" are predicting a full week of sunshine beginning tomorrow--HOORAY!
After a rain shower early, early this morning, it has been mostly sunny and very pleasant today. A friend and I went to Home Depot and bought some flowers. It was a real temptation not to buy every plant in the store but neither of us has that kind of money!!! LOL Currently the temp is 70 F and it is cloudy again.

Here's that amaryllis, Joey:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6557478

Sharon: I meant to tell you to enjoy the movie.
Marylyn: we crossed. Glad you got some rain, if that is what you needed.

Here's my Black Cherry rose.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6557481

My chrysanthemums must be confused about what time of year it is. This one is blooming and most of the others are full of buds.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6557485

I didn't know that Lamb's Ear bloomed but they surely do!

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6557499

Your flowers are beautiful, Marilyn!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6557806

Thank you --they give me a great deal of pleasure.

Here's my orchid, which is, of course, a house plant here in Arkansas. This is the third time in about the last six months that it has bloomed. I was telling the folks on the Mid-South Forum that it has never done that before but it might be because I always cut off the bloom stalk thinking that after the first blooms faded that it wasn't going to bloom again. I didn't do that this time. You live and learn--LOL!!!

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6558003

Well we actually made it back by 9 PM.
The day of rehabbing the house went better.
Tempers weren't quite so hot.

59 now after a T-Storm whipped thru about 4 PM.
It was in the upper 70's before that.
We may hit the mid 40's tonight... low 40's tomorrow night.

Rann CONGRATULATIONS!

When we lived in B'creek seeing any type of flying machine inluding Stealth's wasn't uncommon.
We were minutes from Wright Patterson AFB.
Down here VERY rare.
Though we see a lot of Blimps as Lunken Field, just over the hill from us,
has a Blimp fueling and mooring Mast.

Mau, Celia and Kelli Beautiful!

Off to the Hot Tub!
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009

Post #6558148

SECOND PLACE!!!!!!! That is soooooooooo great! :-) :-) :-)

Mau, I agree that your gardens are very pretty. I've always thought so. And my DBs and I are already bonded so close, you'd think we were stuck together with Gorilla Glue!!! LOL
I haven't fired a weapon since I sold my .38 PS in 1981.

Sharon, you're going to love the movie. D and I went twice.

Ric, thanks. We live in a beautiful place.

The Goldfinches are back. The female is on the left and the bird on the right is a female housefinch.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6558150

Here is the male GF.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6558279

Sunny, cold and a bit breezy. And wet!!! North KC and other areas closer to the river got over 5 inches last night. We maybe got an inch or 2. Gonna be clear til next weekend...supposedly.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6558434

Celia we're lucky Cardinals and Goldfinch both winter here.
So we get a splash of color all year.
Glad yours are back!
We have a pair of Cardinals nesting in out Musk Roses.
Hard to even make out the nest.
I should get some good Robinette shots tomorrow.
A pair of Robins are nesting on the downspout up in Dayton.
I saw 3 babies at least.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
6:51 AM

Post #6558906

Rann, congratulations! Johanna was great and some people here think she should have won the contest! Our Elena wasn't that good, although we had high hopes for her...anyway, 19 place is better than the last!LOL As a curiosity, her dad is a priest and sometimes she is called the priest daughter!LOL She really is a good singer and I like her a lot, I'm so sorry she wasn't that good for this contest. I think Norway was good too, the guy was cute and very talented.
Mau, I had to LOL about your confused mums!
Sharon, how was Startrek? I am a sci-fi fan too and I have Startrek envy!LOL Your rose is so beautiful!
Kelli, what beautiful pics! Get well soon!
Celia, have you hit the target?LOL I learned shooting when I was 20, they took us for a shooting lesson, just in case.
Ric, you are too funny!
Joey, so nice to see JW, he is so cute!
It's been warming up , yesterday was cloudy, but today the sun is shinning and the temps are going to 90!!!
The field is full of blooms and the seeds I've started in the garden have popped out. The lawn is full of weeds...grrr! More weeding today!LOL
Here are a few of the pics I took on the field.
Poppies first.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
6:53 AM

Post #6558908

A daisy.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #6558911

Chicoria.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
9:16 AM

Post #6558990

One more I don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
9:39 AM

Post #6559003

Poppies near the fence.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #6559004

65 raining - I haven't needed to water the plants (vegetables) I put in two days ago, Work on the porch continues but I will have to break from it & work on a computer today.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
9:43 AM

Post #6559006

I don't know what these are, but they are pretty and I remember we used to cal them "rifles" when we were kids because we used them to "shoot" with their flower!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 17, 2009
9:48 AM

Post #6559010

Hey, Dyson! You're up early! Rain is good for your veggies and it means we'll see you here today.LOL
Another poppy.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #6559134

Good morning! :-)

Thanks for the congratulations :-) We're still smiling :-) This was the best result for us, let's face it, there's no way we could host the contest next year! lol And it wasn't even a close race, Norway was in first place from the start. (To those of you unfamiliar with the contest, each participating country (all 42) presents their results ... so it takes a while ... and usually the frontrunners change places all through the result show.)

Adina - the girls really liked the Romanian entry ... they especially loved the dresses the dancers were wearing! lol After they changed the rules to have two semi-finals, I think once you're in the final you're already a winner :-) Finland was in last place in the final, but that's still 25 out of 42 so it really isn't that bad. We really liked their song, but it seems that we were about the only ones! lol I think all this talk of block voting failes to take into account that "related countries" just have a similar taste in music. We wouldn't vote for a nordic country if we hated the song ... they've just had really good entries in the past few years. Denmark was one of our favorites this year too ... We didn't get the Bosnian entry but I don't find it strange that their neighbors liked it. Estonia was one of my favorites as well. And I was very surprise Greece ended up in 7th, it was one of the songs I thought would be impossible for us to beat. Beautiful wildflowers! lol

Mau - beautiful flowers :-) Love the black cherry rose and the lambs ears are so fuzzy I wanted to pet it! lol

Celia - great view of the lake! Pretty gold finch :-) And the Batik iris is gorgeous!

Kelli - lol I think they would. Your plants are all houseplants up here! lol Very pretty blooms :-)

Sharon - how was the movie?

Ric - yikes, looks like that was a very loud and disrupting visit! lol Quite breezy too I imagine! lol

Another GORGEOUS day here today! Sunny, warm and just a light breeze. Yesterday was the real first day of summer :-) A bit ahead of schedule, it'll cool down again for sure, but we're enjoying it while it lasts!

Have a great day! We'll be celebrating in "fairytale land" today (the winning song is titled Fairytale), then tomorrow it'll be time to get back to the grim reality of things ...

The girls last night around 9 pm, they went outside to play during the commercial brake while the votes were counted ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6559241

48 here.
The entire State of Ohio at least is under a Frost Advisory overnight tonight.
Errrrrrrr...

Gonna have to watch this VERY carefully.

ALL the plants are out.

Off to Dayton...BBL
Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6559287

Good Morning! :D We had another 'cloud burst' last night about 8-ish. Gee it was really coming down. And, yes, we played the 'towel' game again! :D Jack used to hate being stuck out in the rain. LOL Not any more! :D
Can you believe it's supposed to be down in the 30's tonight? :-O I hope that 'they' are wrong! at the moment it's 57
At Dublin...
Drizzle: 57F
Feels like: 57F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 54
Wind: 7 mph NW
Sunrise: NA
Sunset: NA
UNSEASONABLY COLD TEMPERATURES TONIGHT... .COLD... DRY HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO THE REGION TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE LOWER AND MID 30S TONIGHT... BRINGING FROST AND SCATTERED FREEZING TEMPERATURES
I'm glad that I have a lot of news papers saved up!

Rann! Yay!!! 2nd place!!! That's Great! :D Look at those pretty little girls having fun! :D
Adina, Great looking Poppies! I used to shoot those things when I was little, too! LOL
Celia, Love the bird pics, But the Lake shot! Is Gorgeous! Wow!
Mau, When your mums quit blooming...cut them back & they will bloom again this fall! :D Your Rose! Oooo, I Love the color! :D And the Amaryllis! Striking! :D It would have looked so nice blooming here. :(
Marylyn! LOL! I don't even buy Jimmy Johnson stuff for myself! LOL Tell your DH not to worry! :D LOL
Kelli, I SOooo Love your 'flower porch'!!!! Wow! I understand why you would have to go back to zone 5 kicking & screaming! ;)

Happy Be-lated! Birthday, Cukoo!

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6559385

A belated Happy Birthday Cuckoo!

Joey My mrs came back different colors this year LOL!
Celia My dad taught us all to shoot (not hunting) at an early age. I target shoot once in a while, enough to keep the trigger finger ready. Im pretty good too LOL!
Kelli Love your blooms!
Celia Beautiful picture!
Rann Congratulations!!!! That is awesome!
Mau Your flowers look great! Congrats on the sunshine!
Ric- I havent seen a blimp in years. Anyone know what happened to them?
Celia - Finches are so cute!
Adina - You blooms are gorgeous!
Rann That is a cute picture of the girls at play! I still love swing sets!
Ric Frost?
Joey Beeeyouteeful bloom!

75.0 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Heat Index: 76 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 83. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Holy Cow! We're supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow? I'm gonna love it! LOL!

The movie was AWESOME! I love the IMAX screen, but we don't go often because, well it does take an hour to get there on weekend traffic. If you like/love Star Trek then you will really enjoy the movie. It's an introduction for the original characters and I think leaves an opening for more movies.

Now, I have to go move the sprinklers. It's the even number watering day. I fertilized the lawn earlier this morning. Peanut stealing treats from Callie.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6559387

Good Morning!
Arrived home about 11 PM last night.
Probably one of the best Round Up yet.
We all sang Happy Birthday to Cuckoo. He raises Blackberries & brought along a blackberry crisp. It is the most delicious!
I brought home some nice Hostas & other goodies.
You can visit our RU in pictures here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989685/
Weather at Ru was rainy Friday evening.
Woke to a cold NW wind Saturday morning. Never did warm much.
Good thing everything could be inside.

Friday night was a fish fry. Fresh Walleye & it was fabulous.
Saturday morning, Cuckoo, his kids, another couple from Nebraska & us went to a little cafe for breakfast.
I attended a couple of the workshops.
Ate way to much at noon. These RU potlucks have unbelievable food. Everyone brings the best recipe.
I was in charge of Door Prizes. We did that after lunch. Some very nice items, all donated by the members.
Plant swap was very big. Lots of plants you would have to pay mega bucks at a garden center. Just sitting there waiting to go home with somebody new!
Went on a tour of a Kaleidoscope factory in the afternoon. Very interesting.
Big group went for steaks at a local supper club.
Headed for home after refilling our tummies.

Today will be back to the old grind. I have many doors & shelves that have first coat of polyurethane on them & need to be sanded.
Also weeds grow faster when you are gone for a couple days.

Bernie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6559392

Oooo... that's pretty, Joey! What is it?

Adina, that chickory is one of my favorite wildflowers. We had tons of them in Ohio. They don't grow down here, though. I love that color blue.

Yikes! about the frost warnings!! I hope all of your plants do ok!

Those finches are very cute, Celia!

That orchid is gorgeous, Marilyn!

We had a "cold" front go through last night, so it is only going to be in the 70s today and in the 50s tonight. Yayy!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (59 min ago)
Temperature 70 F 21 C
Dew Point 66 F 19 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 30.10 in 1019.3 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir N 360
Ceiling 1200 ft 366 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 70.0F / 21.1C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 72.0F / 22.2C
3 hour precipitation ending 6:53am CDT : Trace

Isolated to scattered showers will move toward the southeast at 10 to 15 mph through 8 am. Rainfall amounts under one tenth of an inch can be expected.

Today Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Not as warm. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6559399

They might be over playing the frost warning.
Our low last night was only 39. Low is state of MN, other than the cold NE corner was 34.
50 right now.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6559400

It sounds like you had a great time, Bernie! A kaleidoscope factory does sound really interesting. Blackberry crisp... yummm... Now I'm hungry!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6559475

It's turning out to be a real "scorcher" today! (Feel free to laugh) lol 65F on my thermometer ... :-) Hope there won't be any frost going around over there!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6560145

67.8 F with 83 for today, headed for 90 tomorrow. It's officially hot.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.20 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6560254

Celia: it is so nice that you and your brothers are so closely bonded. I never had that with my brother and sister. I was the "baby" of the family and they are both several years older than I am. We do, however, stay in touch, and my sister was right there for me when Buddy passed on. My brother lives in California and my sister just lives about 35 miles from me. Don't you just love the pretty little goldfinches? Along with cardinals, I think they are my favorite bird!
Ric: I imagine the hot tub felt good to sore muscles after a day of rehabbing at Robyn's parents' house. Can you believe the cooler weather? We have some of it down here, too, although not as cool as you have.
Rann: I went outside this morning and looked at the thermometer on the back porch. It read 54F at about 7 a.m. I said to myself, "Boy, it's cold out here!" and then I started laughing when I thought about what you would say about that! LOL The girls appear to be having a good time. Is that some sort of ornamental grass beside the swing set?
Joey: thanks for the advice on cutting back the mums after they bloom. I was wondering if they would bloom again in the fall. That flower in your photo is very pretty. Like Marylyn, I want to know what it is, too.
Bernie: sounds like the RU was perfectly wonderful! Isn't plant swapping great? I know that a good percentage of the plants I have came from other DGers at RU's and I just went to my first RU a year ago! Blackberry crisp sounds yummy!
Cuckoo: Happy Belated Birthday. sorry I missed the real day!
Marylyn: your current weather sounds just like ours: Highs in the 70's this next week and lows in the 50's and all this will be coming with no rain in the forecast for at least the next 5 days! Just think of all the work I can get done in the flower beds and in the yard! LOL
Sharon: glad the movie was worth the long drive. I haven't seen one of the Star Wars movies in a theater since the first one came out! I may have to break down and go see this one. Did Callie box Peanut on the nose for stealing her treats?
Celia: that is one amazing photo of the moon and that must be some camera you have! I can't get good photos like that of the moon. Mine always turn out somewhat fuzzy.

This is one of the first blooms on my purple coneflower this season. The bloom is very pale in color. I wonder if it is because we have had so much rain and very little sunshine the past two weeks?

edited to add:
Adina: I simply love those poppies!

This message was edited May 17, 2009 11:43 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6560320

Thanks, Mau. It is nice when you have a close bond w/family. Three of my brothers are very close and my other brother only talks to one one them, not to the rest of us. It's okay, though. Like they say...3 outta 4 ain't bad! LOL

Chive flower.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6560372

OK it's officially a heat wave - 69F in the shade! The girls complained that they were "dying" from the heat so they got to put the sprinkler on to "cool" down. Ofcourse the water in the sprinkler had to be warm or they'd have been too cold! lol

Mau - the plants along the swingset are shrubs, Spirea douglasii to be exact. They haven't leaved out completely yet ;-) Well, 54F is quite cool when you're used to 80F ;-) lol The coneflower is very pretty.

Celia - fantastic photo of the moon and the chive flower :-)

Rann
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6560822

Who ever is rain dancing - please sit down! Rest for a couple of months, then get up and start dancing again. Thank you - Dyson
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6561439

Dark clouds and thunder are here. Maybe rain is next?

Bernie Looks like you guys had a great time! I hope to make an RU or 2 this year. I still want that blackberry crisp recipe (especially since I now have blackberries)!
Marylyn I dont know how to act with the cool weather moving through this time of year. Im happy yet weirded out by it LOL!
Rann- 65 is a heat wave for you! Did it get that warm last year?
Celia- Awesome pic!
Mau- The movie is wonderful! The actors portrayed the originals with the same mannerisms, etc. Everyone who remembered the original got it! We even learned how Bones got the nickname Bones (too funny). Also, you should cut the orchid canes back after the blooms fall off. It helps the plant focus on new blooms/canes. Make sure you feed the orchid. Mine came back this year with 3 canes.

Lightening!

Celia my chives havent bloomed in a long time so pretty!
Dyson Sorry that is me! I finally got some sky action going here LOL! I can't stop though just in case...I gotta make sure it rains!

75.9 F
Thunderstorm Rain
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the ENE
Pressure: 29.95 in(Falling)
Heat Index: 79 F
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 4000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Lows 63. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north after midnight. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6561456

We can't get by for a couple months. 1" a week is desirable here.

I got my sanding all done. My son is now spraying the final coat of poly on them. We need to work day & night, 7 days a week to keep up around here.I don't know where the poor economy is, certainly not here.

I got asome nice plants yesterday at Round Up. I am going to mark all them all with the nice markers I got from the co-op this spring.
Ain't Dave's grand!

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6561710

Sharon, so glad you liked the movie as much as we did! We're going again when my DD comes for her birthday. Darrell 'bout cried during the car scene near the beginning.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6561834

Sharon - 69F is a heatwave! Yes it got even warmer last year, we got a whopper of a heat wave in July with a high around 80F which up until then was unheard of here! We thought Iceland had drifted south! lol

Poor Hildur Eva has a really bad sun rash after today ... for some reason she only gets it in May, seems the skin gets a shock after the lack of sunlight during the winter. By June it's OK. So a heatwave in May is not a good thing for her, poor thing. And to make matters worse, we're plagued by flees in April - May as well and they like poor Hildur Eva most of all. She has about 15 bites, despite the bug repellant. This has only become a problem in the past 3 years and we're not happy about it! Never had to use bug repellant before! That's supposed to be one of the perks of living up here in this cold climate for goodness sakes! No bug bites! Sigh ... Otherwise it's been a most perfect day!

11 pm and still bright as day.

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #6561944

Rann- I recently read that if you put a dryer sheet in your clothes (while outside) it will deter mosquitos and flies. I used tried it yesterday and it seemed to work against the horseflies (no mosquitos at this time). I'm sure we will have mosquitos soon and I will try it again then.

We are still getting rain!!!! Woooo Hoooo rain!

Mr. Wester toes LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6561979

Warmer than yesterday but still on the cool side and sunny. All in all not a bad day. Got some weeding done. LOL

Happy Belated birthday Cuckoo!!!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6562237

We got 1-1/2" of rain last evening and a terrible lightening storm but no wind damage or flooding here. New front came through during the night and we were down to45 this AM. We have a freeze warning for a lot of the state and a frost advisory for my area.

Really need to mow again, with all this rain. I spread 5 bags of cocoa bean mulch yesterday and it too, is sopping wet. Love this mulch as it is bought dry in 2 cu.ft. bags and is light enough for me to carry around. It smells like chocolate! Straight from the Hershey, Pa. chocolate factory.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6562659

Happy Belated birthday Cuckoo sorry I missed it!

Bernie that sounds like a wonderful time. Sorry I missed that too!

Sharon we have your mosquitos.
Please come up on June 6th for the RU here and take them back w/ you.
They will be plump and healthy.

Rann sorry to hear about Hildur Eva.
Try increasing her Vitamin D3 for a few weeks before the warmer weather hits.
That may help a bit.
I'm 1/4 Greek so it's never been an issue w/ me but my Father swore by it.
He's pale English... lol!

Kelli THANKS!!!!!!! we forgot to check the mail yesterday.

Well we're done in Dayton for the weekend and have all the plants covered for frost that need it.
On the Dayton front... we won't be doing any more 'Family' work days
(I can watch TV for Drama) ... nuff said.
We'll go up on our own.

On the frost ...
we raise Tropicals, Tender Tropicals and ones Sharon couldn't grow outdoors down in FL year around.
The Hot House ones were all mostly still inside anyway.
The Tenders we brought in.
The Regular ones are under paper or sheets.
All brought under the Maple Tree canopy.
They should do fine.
57 now was supposed to be 52 by now so...

BBL
Ric

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
9:05 AM

Post #6563721

Good morning!

Another sunny day in the works, fairly calm and 49F, forecasted high around 60F so a bit cooler than yesterday. Still the sun isn't good news for Hildur Eva, she'll probably have to stay inside for most of the day :-( She's not happy about that. The forecast is sunny at least until wednesday ... it's going to be a rough week for her.

Ric - hope your plants are OK! Hopefully no frost! We take cod liver oil for the vitamin D. We've forgotten to take it regularly for the past weeks, so I'll make sure to give it to her every day now! Thanks.

Kelli - I heard about the earthquake on the news this morning. Any damage?

Sharon - thanks for the tip, I'll check if they have dryer sheets at the store. I've never used them.

I need to go buy sunscreen today ... this is like snow in September ... we're not ready for summer yet! lol

In 2006 we had a heatwave in May, at about the same time as now which was followed by a horrid frosty spell. The rest of the summer was awful. Hope this won't be a repeat of that summer... :-S I want another heatwave in June -August when we'll be ready to enjoy it! lol

Have a good day!

Rann

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2009

Post #6563744

Se_eds Ive never heard of cocoa bean mulch. I bet it smells good LOL!
Ric- LOL! No thanks, well have mosquitos soon enough!
Rann- I hope Hildur Eva feels better soon - poor baby :(

67.5 F
Overcast
Wind: 4.3 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 300 ft
Overcast 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 630 am...widespread rain and shower activity will be located over mainly inland northeast Florida. However...this activity will be shifting east and begin to affect the coastal counties by about 630 am. Showers are moving east to northeast at 10 to 15 mph. Isolated thunderstorms are possible over the coastal waters and south of a line from St Augustine to Gainesville. Expect locally heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.

We lost power some time after 2am; therfore I woke up late and missed my morning workout - bummer. Sylvester belly and toes

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6563847

1.25" of rain over night! WoooHooo happy plants and dance!

Dyson - I've stopped dancing!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6564011

Thanks Sharon - LoL at Sylvester! Glad you got some rain!

I had to get the hose out and water yesterday for the first time this spring ... won't be long now until I'll have to mow the lawn ... then it'll be officially summer ;-) lol

Rann

This message was edited May 18, 2009 4:18 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6564190

Rann where will you be moving the lawn too? lol!

Well it appears we didn't get any frost.
I'm checking in now w/ my ORVG buddies but so far so good.

Adina I love all the 'wild' flowers around you.
Beautiful pictures!

Celia Great Moon shot!
We yank those Chives at first glance... they and wild MG's are the scourge of our yard.
Around here when the neighbors cut grass all you smell are chives.
But they surely do have a pretty flower... lol!

Sharon our Dog and Cats steal each others treats and food all the time.
Makes you wonder.

It already 50 here going for a cool Sunny 65.
Supposed to be in the low mid 80's by mid week.

Well gotta drag the sheets off the plants.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 18, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6564676

41*F Highs in the 60's and sunset at 10:50pm.
Blue sky, too. Best spring/summer so far in ages.
It's been good reading and catching up. Seems everyone is busy with family, scary weather, good weather and 2nd place winning. Very nice.
From hanging baskets and baskets of pets, it's fun to keep in touch.
It's now green and yesterday I found a Forget-me-Not in bloom. Having coffee on the deck yesterday just had to save the moment.
Have a great day/week.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6565002

Kiska, great pic!!! Scoot over.

Ric, the chives stay in their pot like good children. :-)

Rann, that is great about Yohanna! LOL Very exciting. Sorry about Hildur Eva. Been there...

Sharon, how much rain did you eventually get? Love the Sylvester toes!!! LOL

73.5 F with 90 for the high.
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 76 F
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

This message was edited May 18, 2009 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6565059

Good Children who get their heads loped off ... LOL!

Pretty Hummer!

Elbow deep in mud!
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6565066

ROTFLOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6565145

I just realized I posted Sylvester toes twice LOL! Running out of pictures guess I need to take more LOL!

Ric LOL! I read once where dogs can eat cat food, but cats shouldnt eat dog food. I cant remember the reason, but there ya go. Luckily the cats dont care for the dog food, but the dogs love all the cats food and treats. I expect both of them to look up one day and say meow.
Kiska Yeah scoot over! Thats a gorgeous pic of Pioneer Peak!
Celia My chives stay in a pot too. We had 1.25 overnight. Its been raining and sprinkling all day. I just checked another .25 this morning. Cute hummer! I havent seen ours around lately.

63.9 F
Overcast
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 60 F
Wind: 7.0 mphfrom the NNE
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph
Clouds: Overcast 700 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 8 PM EDT Tuesday...

Rest of Today
Windy...cooler. Cloudy with scattered showers. Highs 67. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

I am LOVING this weather LOL! Buds on E. Hookeri!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6565167

LOL - Ric ... thanks for pointing that out! Can't move the lawn anywhere, guess it'll have to stay where it is ;-) Will have to get the lawn mower out though pretty soon... ;-) lol

Why are the chives in pots Celia and Sharon? Do they tend to wander around? Mine are in the ground and stay where they are ;-) lol

Rann

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6565920

I'm way behind again. I'll comment on a few just to get back in the swing of things.

We could have had a frost Saturday, so we covered the peppers, eggplant, huckleberries and potatoes. (I only planted 16 hills.) It rained Friday, most of the day, and we got 1 3/10'' on top of the 1'' we got earlier. I was able to walk in the garden without sinking, so it all soaked in. I don't think it frosted, but better safe than sorry.

It's chilly and windy today. Still only 65* even tho the wind is out of the south and the sun has been shining awhile.

Too many beautiful flower pictures!

Kwanjin, Ric, COOL !!!!!

Joey, JW sure is growing up fast! He's adorable!

Kelli, I didn't feel bad either except for a headache that wouldn't go away. It went on 3 weeks with me getting better and relapsing. Watch yourself! (I was the 7 sisters) I'll post a picture when it blooms.

Rann, CONGRATULATIONS! That's wonderful!

Happy belated Cuckoo!

It's chilly and windy today. Still only 65* even tho the wind is out of the south and the sun has been shining awhile. I need to make one more rhubarb custard pie today. Run Joey run! It will be gone tomorrow.

This was a ditch rescue from a homestead long gone. Not sure of the name, but it survived a long time in the tall grasses.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6566873

That looks a lot like the ones that I stole - I mean rescued from a hardscrabble existance - from abandonned homesites in the Santa Monica Mountains. People on the iris forum thought that they were Iris pallida.

The earthquake - yes we felt the earthquake. It was no biggie up here but I haven't heard of there being any damage anywhere. We don't have the architectural character of an old city, but at least we have better earthquake resistance.

Adina, your pink flower that you don't know what it is, I think that is corn cockle. The "rifles" are called English plantain in the U.S.

There was a lizard in the house today. DH is glad that I caught it. He said that he doesn't like to touch them.

Could probably just xerox this for the next 120 days, except for the occaisional excursions into the 100sF.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 18, 2009
87 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 8 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 85 F
UV: 8 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

claret cup

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6567614

BP that's a classic!
We had those all over when I was a kid.
I hated them then Love them now.
I agree w/ Kelli on the name.

Kelli a beautiful flower and aptly named cactus.

It was in the upper 60's here today and no wind, little humidity.

Rann, Hildur Eva would have been toast here today!
I'm fried!

55 now and going for the upper 30's but no chance of Frost.
Temps going to rise 5 degrees/day topping out in the mid 80's by Thurs.
Zero chance of rain thru Saturday.

No camera or 'shopping' trickery here.
Just a perfect backlit moment.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6567649

Our Friend Angie paints these saws she buys at garage sales.
She also does the round blades in a like style.
I keep telling her to start selling them.
I think they are superb.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6567691

Here's some of the detail

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
9:55 AM

Post #6568950

Rann The chives will take over a lawn really fast. Just say no to the onion lawn LOL!
Sally I love your ditch rescue! Very pretty! Im glad you are feeling better.
Kelli Thats funny about your DH and lizard. Im forever rescuing a friend from lizards. She screams like a girl when she sees one LOL! Lovely bloom!
Ric Your friend should sell them. Pretty idea - wall art for the porch. Your bloom is pretty too.

65.8 F
Overcast
Wind: 3.2 mphfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Clouds: Overcast 2400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

High surf advisory in effect until 5 am EDT Thursday...
Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Flood Watch in effect through Wednesday evening...

Today
Cloudy. Very windy. A chance of showers early in the morning then showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Locally heavy rain possible in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 67s. Along the coast northeast winds 30 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph...inland 20 to 25 mph with gusts to near 40 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

It is very gusty out there right now. We received 1.25" of rain yesterday. The plants are doing the happy dance, everything is green again.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
10:49 AM

Post #6569004

Good morning!

Another sunny day today, light breeze and 58F.

Hildur Eva is staying home today because of her rash. Such a bummer. It is getting better, she just can't be out in the sun.

Sally thanks! Love the iris - what a great find!

Ric - beautiful rose and your friend is an artist. Beautiful! Our skin just isn't made for strong sunlight. When we've been to warm countries like Spain, I last about a week, then I get a rash.

Kelli - glad the earthquake didn't cause any trouble. I had that same bug Sally mentioned in April ... no fever just felt weak and tired with aches and pains and a horrid caugh for about 3-4 weeks. Got better and then got worse again many times. Hope you feel better soon.

Sharon - Chives are called "grass onion" in Icelandic, but they've never been known to take over a lawn! lol

Yohanna got a hero's welcome when she arrived home on Sunday afternoon. About 90% of the population watched the show. The streets were practically empty.

Rann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6569513

Good morning! It is unseasonably cool here still, and we are enjoying it immensely! We have the windows open again, and are loving the fresh air.

Those saws are beautiful, Ric!! I think she should sell them, too! That was perfect lighting for that rose photo. :-)

Sally, that iris is gorgeous!

LOL about the lizards, Kelli! Your Dodgers are doing quite nicely despite Manny, I see. :-)

It will be back to highs in the upper 80s and a 20% chance of rain by this weekend - our normal late spring weather pattern.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (10 min ago)
Temperature 63 F 17 C
Dew Point 51 F 11 C
Humidity 65%
Pressure 30.22 in 1023.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NE 40
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 51.1F / 10.6C

Today Sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Clear. Lows in the mid 50s. East winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening becoming northeast and decreasing to around 5 mph after midnight.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6569821

37*F ~~ sunny and bright; highs again in 60's.
Chives don't roam around the yard here, either. We like them because it's the first green of the season and taste great too.
kelli~glad you're now a lizard-free home:)
MySharona~your friend is lucky, too.
The flowers on the thread are so pretty. We'll be setting some out week after next-they all go into containers.
The wild iris, wild rose, and wild chocolate lily are in the ground. The iris are now about 10" high.
Same view this morning so will go have 2nd cup and if you're ever in the area, come join me.
Neighbor alongside Pioneer Peak.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6569833

75.8 F with 85 for the high. Yesterday, it got to 96 at our house. Thunderstorms expected today and tomorrow.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 29.84 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 14000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Lovely pics of the roses, Ric and Sharon.

BP, Rann and Marylyn, very glad you're all feeling better.

I think your friend should sell the saws, too. I like them a lot.

Ric, this is for you. Our Airmed helo.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6570227

Whoo--I miss one day and what do I get?----WAAAAY BEHIND--lol!!
Ric: I totally understand about the no more "family workdays"--it's not funny but it did give me a sort of sideways grin. Great shot of that rose! I've seen painted saws before but none as gorgeous as Angie's. You are correct--she should sell them and call them "Angie's Superb Saws"!
Rann: sorry to hear about Hildur Eva's sun rash--does it itch?
Sharon: Hooray--you got some rain! I sent it over there to you! LOLOL I'm with Dyson--the rain dance can stop around here, too, at least for a little while!
BP: lovely iris--glad you rescued it!
Kelli: your DH must be kin to Kiska--she doesn't like lizards and frogs, either!
Kiska: I'll have to admit that living in Alaska has its advantages--save me a seat the next time you have coffee on your deck--gorgeous snow-capped mountains!
Marylyn--it's unseasonably cool here, too, but I'm not complaining! :o))
Celia: 96!! Wow!! Now that's a heat wave!!

Another lovely day on tap: High to be in the mid-70's with not a cloud in sight! Currently it is 71F.
(edited to change the current temp)

I managed to get the lawn mowed yesterday afternoon after spending a day at my DGS's school for "track and field" day. It's an annual event and I haven't missed one yet! It's what all good grannies do--LOL!
Here's a pic of the tug of war--their class lost this one.

This message was edited May 19, 2009 11:41 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6572536

Heloooo! I'm behind like Mau! Miss a day & you are really lost. We had a frost this morning...or at least the neighbors (DB) did. The trees really save the flowers at times like that! I didn't cover everything. I kept getting interrupted, so I ended up forgetting about it. Hopefully the frost is over until fall...this is the latest we have had a frost (at least in 55 years, that I know of)
Sharon, I don't think that my MR's made it! I went outside this afternoon & looked at the pot they're in...I saw maybe 5 that had made it...the pot Had been full!
Ric, Thanks for the names of the Daisy looking Fleabane & Winky Purple and White. What a Great Shot of your Rose! :D Can't get any better! :D
Adina, your flowers are really looking good! :D I love those poppies! :D
Sally Thanks, but did I miss the pie? I made it as far as Huntington...that was it. I really love the 'old timey' Iris's! Reminds me of way back when! :D
Mau & Marylyn, The little red flower is an Ivy Geranium. It likes growing w/ Vinca Vine & Spikes, but I haven't found a Spike that I like, so far this year.
Rann, My niece breaks out sometimes from the sun, but she has found that if she uses a lotion w/ 45SPF that she doesn't get the rash. I hope that helps.
Kelli, I hope you get to feeling better. At least you're not running a temp. Love those flowers! :D (snickering at you DH :D)
Kiska, I would have at least 1 more cup o' Joe, too if I had scenery like that out my back window! :D So, I'll just sit here at the puter & look at it! :D
Celia, I saw my 1st Hummer today! :D They're Late! But better late than never! ;) Good Shot!

Well...I'm fairly 'pooped'...must go to sleep...
Have a good night all!
Joey

(I have no idea wha this is...)

This message was edited May 19, 2009 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by music2keep

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6572783

Kinda hot, sunny and breezy. Same for yesterday. Am behind but catching up.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6573529

Rann - How is Hildur Eva feeling today? Much better I hope.
Mau We are quite soggy now! Cute pic of the tug of war!
Kiska - Pioneer Peaks nieghbor is lovely!
Joey Your MRs will fill out - mine are. Stick them in full sunshine. Looks like a type of Sphinx Moth.

69.6 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 91%
Wind: 3.2 mphfrom the ENE
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2600 ft
Overcast 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

High surf advisory in effect until 5 am EDT Thursday...
Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Flood Watch in effect through this evening...

Today
Very windy. Showers and isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 74. East winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

3" of rain yesterday. It has stopped for a while. The frogs are very happy and noisy LOL! I had some running around to do yesterday ended up being a lesson in futility. The bank was closed due to power outages central island. I had an annual appt at the hospital, luckily the area I had to go to had power, LabCorp finally shut down after the power was on/off/on/off - so I didn't get my blood test.

Some young/weak trees are down, debris in the streets (reminds everyone of TS Faye). I took Peanut to her obedience training graduation last night. She got "most improved". She was very timid at first being around all those dogs. She did sitshake as a trick. Not sit then shake - she does it all at one time therefore "sitshake" LOL!

Here she is enjoying her doggie cupcake. She took it into her carrier so the other dogs wouldn't try to get it LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6573533

Another

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
9:55 AM

Post #6573535

YAY! I passed!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #6573537

A quick drive at the beach - you can see the palm trees blowing West

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009

Post #6573539

The ocean is churned up. Low tide was a joke...

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2009
10:28 AM

Post #6573560

67 Very windy.

Yesterday high of 97.
Records set for high all time temperature across the state.
Some areas hit 100.
Wind was near 40 MPH in the afternoon.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6574040

Good morning!

Still sunny and fairly calm, 59F. A bit more cloudy today, which is good news for Hildur Eva. Supposed to rain tomorrow,

Sharon - Hildur Eva is better, thanks for asking. The rash is almost gone. She spent quite some time outside yesterday ... just avoided the sun. She did get about 6 flea bites yesterday though :-( Still have to check out those drier sheets... Congrats to Sweet Pea! She did good! :-) Hope the wind dies down soon, such a pain.

Mau - yes it itches ... I use a hydrocortisone creme on it, which works well.

Joey - thanks :-) The sunscreen I use is called Proderm and it's some heavy duty sunscreen. It goes into the skin instead of working on the surface like all other sunscreens. I think it's the only kind that is completely waterproof. And you don't have to wait 30 min. for it to become effective. Just lather it on the kids and they're good to play in the pool or on the beach for 6 hours. You can go to Spain for a week and come home white if you use the 30 spf lol. It's scandinavian so not sure it's available over there... it's not available in Spain at least, we always have to take enough with us when we've gone on trips down there. But even that doesn't work completely on the rash, better than other's I've tried, but still not enough ... Haven't tried 45 spf though, not sure it's even available here. The sun isn't that strong ;-) Hildur Eva absolutely hates sunscreen, and fortunately for her we don't need to use it very often! lol

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6574047

What's a spike, Joey?

Sharon, yikes! Is the weather supposed to clear up soon?

Wow, Bernie... that's really hot for May for you guys!

It's still unseasonably cool here, although the humidity is starting to come back. We didn't miss the humidity at all!
Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (24 min ago)
Temperature 65 F 18 C
Dew Point 55 F 13 C
Humidity 72%
Pressure 30.15 in 1021.1 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir NE 50
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 55.9F / 13.3C

Today Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6574166

55 going for 80

Bernie I can't believe those temps. MN in May? WOW!

Rann is what Hildur Eva has Sun related or just Heat Rash?
If it's heat rash then powders not ointments are the way to go.

Rosa 'Paul's Himalayan Musk Rambler'
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6574186

Finally they are both blooming at once.
In a few days this will be a sea of pink and sooooo fragrant you almost can't go into the yard.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6574424

Ric - it's sun related. That rose is gorgeous! And the clematis with it makes a VERY NICE combination :-) Please take a photo when it's a "sea of pink" :-) Wish you could capture the fragrance too ... ;-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6574485

No time to comment. One of my brothers stayed overnight.

66.4 F with 77 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy and a little rainy.
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6574839

Wind is ripping apart one green house. It is sitting with the side into the wind.
Fields are changing owners as they say. Air is turning brown from dust in the air. When will this odd weather ever end ?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6574930

Wow, Sharon! I think I sent you too much rain! Congrats to Peanut! :o))
Joey, that looks like a photo for the butterfly and moth ID forum. Very interesting!
Bernie: I didn't know the temp ever made it up to 97 in MN!
Ric: lovely rose and no black spot, apparently! Lucky you! Send some of that fragrance down this way--the only fragrance that I can get too much of is Estee Lauder--LOL! My aunt used to splash it on herself quite liberally and then I could hardly stand to be in the car with her!
Rann: so glad Hildur Eva is doing better--bless her heart!
Celia: enjoy the time with your brother!

Another gorgeous day on tap here, though warmer--currently it is 75F and heading toward the mid-80's. Abundant sunshine. 50% chance of rain coming back into the forecast for the Memorial week-end, though.

I missed a nice photo-op of my Don Juan rose this morning--it was still wet with dew and the early morning sun was shining behind it. I didn't have my camera outside with me and the opportunity was gone before I could capture it on camera. However, I found a pic which I took last year which was very much like the one I could have taken this morning. This is "Gypsy" with Samantha Lantana in the background:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6574940

Bernie: while I was uploading my photo, you posted about the wind. I hope you don't have too much damage to your green house! It seems that odd weather is affecting all areas of the country!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6575460

One is completely gone. Two others a coming apart. Plastic & wind don't mix.

Craziest wind I ever saw. A high pressure over east central US is keeping this low from moving, so air is squeezed & causes the big wind. Dirt in the air is so bad, you can't see on the highways.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6575513

Sounds bad, Bernie. Did you lose any plants that were in your greenhouses?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6575521

Not so far. These are the ones that the plants are in the ground.
Oh, by the way we get lots of 90 & above here. Many times well over 100.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6575554

Well, I am glad you haven't lost any plants. I'm amazed that the temps get so hot up there--I didn't have a clue about that--thought those 90+ temps were reserved for the south and the western states!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6576068

Bernie Seems like everyone is having wacky weather. I hope your plants will be okay.
Rann - Your garden is lovely!
Marylyn 40-80% chances of rain til Monday. Supposed to start slacking off tomorrow.
Ric Beautiful rose! Looking forward to the sea of pink too!
Mau Beautiful Gypsy!now!

Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 90%
Wind: 4.3 mphfrom the ENE
Pressure: 30.06 in (Steady)
Visibility: 2.5 miles
Clouds: Few 500 ft
Scattered Clouds 1400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

High surf advisory in effect until 4 PM Thursday...
Flood Watch in effect through Thursday Evening...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 8 PM this evening to 8 am Thursday...

Tonight
Windy with widespread showers and isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Low 68. East winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

3" of rain so far today. The winds were the worst I have seen since TS Faye. Our boss closed the office early since we weren't getting any phone calls and the flooding has begun. More trees, branches and debris are down.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/weather/forecast/news-article.aspx?storyid=112229&catid=65

The up side to this is our aquifers are filling up! Our street - the pictures didn't turn out well due to the heavy rain.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6576106

Bernie, I'm sorry to hear about the damage.

Totally normal weather here

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 20, 2009
86 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 7 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 16 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

epiphyllum "Wild Thing"

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6576477

Here we go, worst one.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6576488

This is what it looked like early yesterday. You are right this wind has been blowing for 36 hours now.

This message was edited May 20, 2009 7:06 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6576497

Far end of this house.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6576504

Another one getting ripped up.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6576507

Inside.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6576537

Bernie - I'm so sorry. I really hope things start clearing up weatherwise for you.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6576564

Sounds terrible down there; from Florida to MN> Sorry about the greenhouse damage; CG.
It's another nice day here; 60*F; it's really easy to become used to this great weather. Seldom reaches 70's and that's what's great about summer, for me..
Wild Currants blooming

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6576756

Wow, Sharon, your street was certainly a mess after all the wind and rain!
Bernie, I'm so sorry about the wind damage to your greenhouses.
Kelli: that "Wild Thing" is absolutely gorgeous!
Kiska: it's so nice that you are enjoying some good weather, too. I'm almost ashamed to talk about our good weather here this week what with the bad news from other parts of the country.
Currently 76F on my back porch and not at all humid. Very pleasant and not dark yet but the sun is going down.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6576952

Hit low 80s today and sunny with a small breeze. Volunteered at my old job today and cut daffodil foilage down. With another volunteer's help we got alot done.

Been busy and falling behind. One of these days I will be home long enough to post a pic.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
9:52 AM

Post #6577938

Kiska - Your weather sounds perfect to me!
Pepper - Your working too much!

69.8 F
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Wind: 4.8 mphfrom the SE
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1900 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft
Overcast 4700 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
High surf advisory in effect until 4 PM EDT this afternoon...
Flood Watch in effect through this evening...

Today
Windy. Showers and chance of thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. High 74. East winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

4" of rain yesterday and it's sprinkling now. I'm not going to complain. Parking lot at work yesterday morning. It was full of water by lunch time and more branches and fronds were on the ground.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6578048

As long as we are talking plant & tree damage. We lost half of a lilac bush. Many big branches & hundreds of smaller branches & things that need to be picked up before we can mow the lawn.
Even the arbor on the end of our sidewalk is leaning.
A greenhouse/garden center in a super market parking lot was demolished also. Some bad fires caused by the wind. A tree came down, taking a power line with it, all landed on a house & burned the house to the ground. A couple of grassy areas were burned. No idea how they started, but I would expect someones cigarette.

MIL went outside her apartment building yesterday to water her plants. Laying right next to the building was a hot cigarette about half gone.
MN has a no smoking policy, so why are these clowns that push for smoking so careless ?

61 this morning. CALM!
Cloudy.
No rain forecast.
I'll be of to market this afternoon.

Well, clean up day, today.
Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6578178

Bernie I'm sorry to hear about the GH's.
At least it's late in the season.
How far will it set you back?

Going to Mid 80's here... far too hot for this time of year.
Off to Dayton...BBLRic

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6578294

They were both used as high tunnels, so plants are young in there.
One we can salvage, only lost part of the plastic.
The other, I guess we will have an open air garden for now.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6578707

Now
Widespread moderate to heavy rain will continue to move on shore across northeast Florida. Three day rainfall totals have ranged from 8 to 18 inches with Flagler County and southern Saint Johns County receiving the highest amounts. An additional 1 to 4 inches of rain is possible today. Many streets and roads have become impassible and others have areas of standing water.

I've measured 12" in our back yard in the past 4 days.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 21, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6579173

I'm way behind, but I'll try to catch up. I have a new project in the garden, a path made of rocks.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6579462

Wow, Bernie. Sorry about all the damage. No loss of plant life, though? Some smokers get this mindset that when the cig is out of their hands it doesn't exist anymore. A friend of mine had a guy in the car next to her flick his out the window. It went straight into HER car! She picked it off her seat and flicked it right back.

Sharon, I know you like your weather cooler but is the rain getting a bit much?

Mau, sounds lovely! I agree with you that Pepper works too much! LOL

67.6 F with 79 for our high today.
Partly Cloudy and very pretty.
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 37 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 22000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

New purchases. Dappled Willow.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6579470

I forgot to say, I like your path Adina!

Gaillardia "Fanfare".

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6579859

Oooo, that gaillardia is gorgeous, Celia!

Nice path, Adina!

I'm so sorry about the greenhouses, Bernie. And the lilac bush. :-(

Yikes, Sharon!! I hope the rain moves off SOON!! You've had more than enough!

Kelli, that epi is beautiful!!

We're back to our regular weather patterns for late May. Hopefully everyone else's will settle down, too! Tomorrow is our tenth anniversary. I need to get the house cleaned up a bit for the babysitter. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CDT (45 min ago)
Temperature 88 F 31 C
Dew Point 60 F 16 C
Humidity 38%
Pressure 29.97 in 1014.8 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir NNE 30
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 88 F 31 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 62.1F / 16.7C

Today Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6580333

Happy Anniversary, Marylyn!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6581425

New thread is here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991994/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America