Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Black Widows in My Garden: Bitten and lived to tell the tale

Communities > Forums > Article: Black Widows in My Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Black Widows in My GardenReplies: 0, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oldcountryrose
Edmond, OK

May 11, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6533284

I had a bicycle leaned up against the vine-covered wall on the shady side of my garage. I put my hand on the seat to move the bike and felt a pin-prick sensation on on my thumb. It started stinging. I saw the BW spider crawling out from under the seat of the bike. The stinging quickly become so intense that I took a safety pin and started digging where a small "blood blister" had formed just under the surface of the skin. I ripped the skin and then the blood blister came out like a tiny mass of jelly, stuck on the point of the pin, and the stinging stopped immediately. I didn't get sick and my thumb didn't drop off. The bite never bothered me again. I can't recommend this as treatment for a BW bite, but it worked for me. In hindsight, I should have at least called my doctor. Well, back into the garden, all you arachnid-phobes! My BW bite was not as painful as a bad sunburn, and most of us will likely get more sunburns than spider bites this summer!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Black Widows in My Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article lessens the fear (a little) vossner 1 May 11, 2009 12:56 PM
A little more info Please? MollyMc 2 May 9, 2009 11:30 AM
I Got Bit beadmom 1 May 11, 2009 3:28 PM
Yes, it has a cousin! zone10 5 May 9, 2009 3:45 AM
Me, too! imapigeon 1 May 9, 2009 2:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America