Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Black Widows in My Garden: What about indoors?

Communities > Forums > Article: Black Widows in My Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Black Widows in My GardenReplies: 3, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judhay
Gloucester, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6533435

I, too, think that if I were going to be bitten by a black widow, it would have happened by now.
They seem to be peace-loving creatures.
However, last winter I saw one crawling up an interior brick wall, behind a propane stove in my sunroom. It must have come in with one of my plants in the fall.
I relased it outdoors. Could there be others in the house? If so, what do I do about it?
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6541928

You could have more inside. The best way to go about it is to search for webs. "Silk" does not describe their threads. Their webs are very tough, usually wth debris caught in them. It could just be one single thread you find, leading to a hiding place. If you think you may have one, but don't see the spider, come back at night with a flashlight. They are usually in a "forward" hunting position at night.
I remove them from areas where someone could encounter them, such as under the hood of a vehicle. Otherwise I live and let live.
judhay
Gloucester, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6542796

Thanks. For the advice and the good philosophy.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6546322

You're welcome. Happy gardening and I hope you find no more unwelcome visitors.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Black Widows in My Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article lessens the fear (a little) vossner 1 May 11, 2009 12:56 PM
A little more info Please? MollyMc 2 May 9, 2009 11:30 AM
I Got Bit beadmom 1 May 11, 2009 3:28 PM
Yes, it has a cousin! zone10 5 May 9, 2009 3:45 AM
Me, too! imapigeon 1 May 9, 2009 2:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America