Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Black Widows in My Garden: Nature's balance

Communities > Forums > Article: Black Widows in My Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Black Widows in My GardenReplies: 0, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arielsq4
Reno, NV

May 11, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6534538

Great article on BWs. Unfortunate that some readers fail to appreciate the delicate balance that Nature maintains before they resort to insecticides or other poisons. When we moved into our new home in Reno, Nevada in 1975 BWs were already populating the outside foundation areas. Within several years we added landscaping and plantings that encouraged flying insects as spider food and the BWs were out-competed by the orb-weavers and other low-venom arachnids that took over. Today we have only two or three isolated BW webs and they have never been a problem.
This is mindful of a story told by a herpetologist in Southern California during the real estate boom of the 1930s. New residents were hysterical that there were "snakes" infesting their lots carved out of raw brush land and proceeded to kill them off. Actually the reptiles were mostly innocuous California Bull (Gopher) snakes, King snakes and Racers. Within several years the native rodent populations exploded and a rattlesnake population moved in to enjoy the feast. Be careful what you ask for !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Black Widows in My Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article lessens the fear (a little) vossner 1 May 11, 2009 12:56 PM
A little more info Please? MollyMc 2 May 9, 2009 11:30 AM
I Got Bit beadmom 1 May 11, 2009 3:28 PM
Yes, it has a cousin! zone10 5 May 9, 2009 3:45 AM
Me, too! imapigeon 1 May 9, 2009 2:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America