Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the year: bay leaves in soup

Communities > Forums > Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the yearReplies: 6, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #6537748

Stan always gets the bay leaf, since he was a kid. Guess that's why he's the good one!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6538245

Bay leaves is a very important part of new Orleans cooking. It goes in everything: red beans, soup, stew, etouffee, and of course gumbo. My parents planted a bay leaf tree about 30 years ago. It's now 15' tall, and it's stays about that height only due to a lot of pruning. When I was working and Dad pruned the tree, I'd bring all the branches to work & everyone would snatch them up. The tree is planted close to the front gate & all the neighbors know that the can take a few leaves or branches whenever they wish.

The tree has survived all sorts of weather, blazing hot, occasional temps down to the teens, even 4 feet of salt water from Katrina flooding. It does get some scale on the leaves in the later part of the summer, otherwise, it's not bothered with any disease or pests.

And it's a favorite nesting place for many birds!
Jo-Ann

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6538471

Jo-Ann, you're lucky to live where you can grow that tree! I've never seen a whole tree of bay leaves.

Kathleen, you know you already knew that Stan is one of the good guys.

Thank you both for reading and commenting.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6538617

Carrie,
The next time at Mom's, probably today or tomorrow, I'll take a pic & post it.
Jo-Ann

This message was edited May 12, 2009 10:05 AM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6538909

OK, thanks, but I still wish I could smell it. Can you please be sure to post the picture with smell-o-vision?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6539704

Here's the pic of my Mom's bay leaf tree. My Dada passed away 2 years ago & no one trimmed it. Last year, we had all the branches trimmed down to the main trunk. This is how much it's grown since then.

How does one propagate this? I've never seen any little ones coming up.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6540038

If you go to to the American Herb Society guide I linked to, they explain a propagation technique, as well as some recipes I would never try (and some I would), dealing with scale, all kinds of good stuff!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh My, Where do I Start? beebonnet 5 Jun 16, 2009 1:03 PM
Bay in a pot huckleberry6 1 May 19, 2009 11:37 AM
Bay Laurel dillansnana 1 May 19, 2009 11:47 AM
bay laurel invasive? Sue_in_Corsica 5 Sep 21, 2009 7:39 PM
bay Laurel barbjo 1 Jul 4, 2009 1:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America