Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Owl's killing guineas

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 12, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6537861

Three or four days ago, there were a couple of piles of feathers. I appeared to be missing my favorite guinea as I only saw four since then. The feathers appeared to be pearl but the guinea was a pied with the colored part appearing to me as a gray or light blue gray. I was thinking that the feathers looked different close up or maybe she had an undercoat. Last night when we got home about 9:30 and an owl flew up onto our roof with something in its talons. I was thinking it was our cat and threw a rock but missed. The owl flew off but dropped my 1/2 eaten favorite guinea.
My question is,
1) do you think that the owl attacked another guinea 3-4 days ago but it got away and she had started sitting on a nest the same day and last night the owl came back and found her on her nest or
2) do you think that the owl killed her and ate 1/2 that night and stashed the other half until last night and came to finish it?
Do owls eat part and return later like lions do or do they just eat fresh kills?
Thanks.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

May 12, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6539066

I know nothing about owls, but i'm sure sorry about your loss. I thought guinneas were big enough that owls would not bother them. I'm sure others will read and be able to answer your question. Haystack
Catscan
Lodi
United States

May 12, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6539472

I am assuming that it is probably a barn owl? They usually just carry off their prey--but they will sit and tear it up and eat it on site if it is too large to carry. I have never heard of them returning to a previous kill.
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6540117

We have Great Horned Owls. They eat chickens along with, skunks, rodents, birds, frogs, fish, raccoons, snakes, squirrels, and falcons. They are bold and will go right into a coop that is left open. Unbelievable. I believe they usually carry away the prey though. I am sorry for your loss. That is sad.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 12, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6540381

Sad to lose a guinea possibly worse to lose your cat! Have you known owls to take full grown cats?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

May 12, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6540553

When I lived in Upstate NY, Great Horned Owls would take cats and small dogs--they didn't eat them--they would grab them, fly up and drop them. I think they were heavier than the owl expected.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 13, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6541786

Oh, my! And to think, I've always liked owls...
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6542536

Thanks for all of your responses. A couple of years ago, the sheriff told me that they were having problems with the barred owl in the area. Even in town they have been taken cats and small dogs. He said that a they used to trap and move them but that they always come back no matter how far you move them. He said that I could get a permit for $100.00 to shoot it if caught in the act of killing pets or farm animals. I do not really want to do that. I have seen the owl a few times at night and know that he is large, but this is the first time in almost a year that I have seen or had a problem with it. A few years ago, I was loosing chickens and guineas every week. In the winter, the guineas roost in the hen-house, but when it is warm, they roost outside. I know what a barred owl looks like from the internet, but have not really got a good look at the pattern at night. I do not believe that we have the great horned owl around here. I had read an article about the barred owl driving the spotted owl to the endangered list, and some scientist? or whatever they are, want to do controlled hunts in some areas. I like to see owls, but just not killing my critters. By the way, we have lost a couple of cats too.
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6553016

No, The Great Horned owl is east coast I believe. There are many species that are large though. They may not want to hunt in an area that already has an owl present. You could put up one of those fake owls with the light up red eyes to discourage it from coming into your area. I do wish you the best.
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6623316

Sewincircle, where can you buy one of those fake owls with the red eyes? Can you send me a link?
Thanks.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

June 1, 2009
10:38 AM

Post #6625396

I have a water garden in my back yard. I had this visitor last summer sit in the tree right over the water. I was hoping he/she was there for rodents but was told they also take fish. I couldn't be sure but I think the goldfish ranks were thinner. But it could have been a heron. I finally had to put a net over the pond. The owl stopped coming around the same time.
Loosing a cat or dog to an owl... ouch.. not fun. Or any pet really.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6628750

I have lost 5 chickens this past week to a fox. I actually saw the fox in broad daylight so I did't let the chickens out for several days. Today was their first full day out and another one is gone. Of course it only takes the hens, I don't want it to take any of them but I don't get many eggs from the roosters. I guess they are locked up for good now.
Lisa
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6632474

I do not know where Argyle, TX is. I do know that half way between Emory and Golden (where I am) there is a rather large, extended family of Great Horned Owls. They call all around my house every night! I'm not that far east =)!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America