Photo by Melody

Bird Watching: California Quail in my Garden? Help!!

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 17, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6540125

My neighbor and I have been sharing two California Quail between our two gardens for several weeks now. They don't seem to eat the Quail/Dove seed I throw on the soil (although it sprouted!!). They seem to come and go and I often see them on the sidewalk, gutter and street and then don't see them for awhile. Earlier today I was in the garden which is terribly over grown, and took my arm to move some Watsonia that were dragging on the ground, to see if they would prop up, and Holy Shmoly there I uncovered the Quail nest with 6 eggs (I think, I was so flabbergasted and didn't want to disturb a thing so I dropped the Watsonia and got out of the garden.) Don't the quail sit on their eggs like other birds? Or did I scare a parent off? I am not going near the nest again for fear of disturbing them , although I would love to take a photo of the eggs. The parents are pretty comfortable around me, but now I am concerned because I haven't seen them for over a day now. As I mentioned the garden is totally overgrown (not in my eyes) and they can run around under the fresh growing plants for days on end without being seen I guess. Any ideas about anything other than just leaving them totally alone? Thanks, Xuling
PS This is a first in my area for seeing the Quail in a residential neighborhood. There are Quail in the area, but in the countryside and parks, not in town.

This message was edited May 12, 2009 1:57 PM
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 14, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6545391

Hi xu, Sorry this did not get answered yet. I'm sure Resin or one of our "westerners" can help you out.

Pelle
NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

May 14, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6545869

If it's warm enough, the parents don't need to stay sitting on the nest continuiously. As the temperature drops at night, they will probably come back to the nest. Also, I don't know what type of quail/dove food you tried, but I have about 50 gambel's quail living in my yard and they LOVE cracked corn. I buy big bags (25lb I think) of the corn at Walmart. It is really inexpensive (about $6). You might try spreading some corn on the opened ground a few yards away from the nest, and then keep a watch out for the parents. They mostly tend to feed in the early morning and just before sunset.

Hope this helps!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6546156

I think NM Jane is right. The birds don't need to sit constantly. Actually the eggs need a bit of a "cooling down" time daily. My only worry would be the predators that might find the nest. Ground nest are particularly vulnerable. My minature Schnauzer would find a nest and bring in a "prize" egg to me. Good luck, as baby quail are the cutest.
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

May 14, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6546956

Quail don't start incubating eggs until all the eggs are laid, otherwise they would be hatching randomly and survival would be low. In hot climes, sometimes the ground temperature can start the eggs incubating as they are laid, resulting in a poor annual production. But, they will leave the nest periodically even when they are sitting.

Not much you need to do. Quail have survived about 12 million years and actually did better without human 'help'.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6548527

thanks everyone :) i haven't seen the parents for days now and am afraid to look at the nest and distrub anything. so i will just wait and hope to see the parents, or the whole brood, soon. xuling

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6548716

Please Post when you do see them...my neighbor calls the chicks "Walnuts"...Deb
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6554200

Yo, well I finally saw the male Quail late this afternoon!! So I am making good wishes that the female and the eggs are still there. It has been three days since I saw either of them. After I saw him today I took a shallow plastic bowl and filled it with pebbles and then filled it with fresh water and placed it under a bush in the shade near the nest (not too close, I was afraid to get too close). Hopefully they like fresh water. I don't know what they do for water. I have a big bird bath in the back yard that lots of birds use but have never seen the Quail. Is the water dish ok to do? Xuling

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6554747

I have a small hypertufa trough I made sitting on the ground which I fill every day and our quail use it for water.

Thumbnail by Depsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6554755

you can see the trough just in front of the quail...Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6555007

The babies certainly do look like walnuts. Last year the ones by my E Wa house had a second hatch and at least a dozen babies were following the parents. I don't know if they were all theirs or if they might have been babysitting.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6697742

Hola, I had been taking peeks at the nest every once in the while and one of the parents would be on top covering the eggs. Finally I couldn't stand it any more, knowing the chicks had to have been hatched by now, and took a peek and the nest is there with six quail eggs pretty neatly broken in two, empty. And I haven't seen either parent for days, and haven't seen any babies. So I am going to wait a wek and peek again and if it looks the same will take some pictures. do the babies and parents take off for new grounds so soon after hatching? xuling

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6697804

Quail chicks move away as soon as they're hatched - it'll be OK to look now.

Resin
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6698059

Thanks for the info, it makes me feel better that I didn't do anything to disrupt their lives. Xuling
44maggie44
West Pasco, WA

July 31, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9225598

Help!
I had an overgrown hayes starburst hydrangea that was lying on the ground and just as I was trimming away the last branch while cleaning it up, I uncovered a quail nest with eleven eggs. The nest is exposed about eight inches away from the bottom of the plant. I took a few of the branches that I cut off (about 15 inches long) and draped them across the eggs. Does anyone know what I can do to protect the eggs without putting off their parents? I am just heartsick thinking what damage I may have already done.
I have some rather large decorative rocks in the yard. Could I put one close to the nest and drape something over it to help protect them? Lesson learned. I have two more of the same bushes that I intend to leave alone until fall and will let them go in the future hopefully for nesting purposes.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9225813

We learned when we trimmed some things last year, that alone disturbed the parents. They abandoned the nest. The parents recognize any disturbance, so the damage is done. Not much you can do. Just do your best to prevent future episodes.

Yeah, it was a hard lesson learned last year and we were devastated because it was Dickcissels and we thought they would have been done by mid-August. Now for our area, any tree/shrub cutting, trimming, etc. will be done by mid-March or wait until October. Depending on weather and such, we could have early Robins starting on nests and late Mourning Doves. Or if you know nesting habits of some birds, you could trim some things. I would feed safe in trimming our front shrubs which I let overgrow the last two years for birds, but now it's getting a little out of control. We had nesting Chipping Sparrows earlier, but the latest batches have been in the back and side yards.

Our poor farmer neighbor who mows our grass for hay had to live with us saying not to cut until the Bobolinks were done. Now we had to call him again because we heard Bobwhites in the pasture. I am trying to convince my husband that we should just leave the pasture alone for the birds. He's not not quite ready for that.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9226410

I am so sorry to hear about your situation with the Quail. My quial family left and never returned although I left the nest undisturbed in case they might return the next year. I have not even seen quail around here for two years. Just too many houses and people I think. Xuling
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 3, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9228921

My quail left my back landscape with the arrival of our new cat. They have moved across the greenbelt up near the entrance by the tennis courts. I still get to see them when I walk the dogs. But that is not as much fun as watching them from your kitchen window.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America