Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Allotment tales 2009

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 382, Views: 1,591
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6540473

It's lottie time again! This year I've already cleared most of the weeds and grass that grew over winter.
There are 40 plots at the allotment, which are used to grow vegetables, flowers and fruits.
My plot is number 36. It's nearly time to plant out seeds and young plants, join me and share your flowers and veggies!

My potatoes and onions are in the ground, I have some cabbages and cauliflowers under the green netting to keep the birds away!
The chives have started flowering this week.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6540535

View of my plot from the main pathway.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6540563

My flower garden is at the front, with the perennial Knautia starting to bloom.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6540572

Old fashioned Carnation, has a lovely perfume.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6540578

Strawberries ..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6540604

The allotment shop is next door to my plot on the right!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6540622

The plants are grown by commitee members and are for sale to plot holders at a cheap price!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 12, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6540656

Ready to put my veggies in... next time... LoL!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6540963

Hey friend, I used to have that very carnation, lost it and now it is back on your lottie!!! Lookin great and lookin forward to a new season
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 13, 2009
8:28 AM

Post #6542091

Yay, A new lottie thread! hello Candee, I'm excited! *doing a jig*
Its looking very well cultivated Terri. What a tease having the shop next door! They did that on purpose you know! You probably have plenty of your own seedlings coming up anyway? Maybe you could sell them yours! he he. I must get those gourds in!
Heres a bit of my patch. A bit overgrown, but with all things good! Show me MORE!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6542396

Well your patch looks wonderful Sue. May have to come and get some veggies from the 2 of you. I had 36 tomatoes started and then we got those awful rains and I don't believe any of them are going to make it, dang. As for the cauliflower and broccoli only time will tell. The taters are sprouting and carrots and onions but that is about the extent although I almost forgot that I had planted some seed from those weird gourds and they are coming up.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6543242

Hi Sue and Candee!! I'm doing the jig too!
It's great to be back at the lottie getting some work done and planning what goes where.
Dirty fingernails here we come LoL!

What have you got in your veggie patch (lil lottie) Sue? I have seedlings growing in my greenhouse, nearly ready to go in. The last risk of frost is the end of May usually.
It's very tempting having the shop so close,. I did buy a little Rosemary plant for 60p last week!
Sorry about your tomatoes Candee, will you buy a few plants or start some more? Love home grown tomatoes they are the best for flavour! Thanks for the carnation... wondered where it came from.. lol!
It sounds like you two are ahead of me with the Gourds, I still haven't found my seed packet!

Here's a bit I haven't cleared yet, over by the shed !!! Love in the mist has seeded itself amongst the grass.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6543248

it's everywhere!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6543259

Mint and flat leaf parsley are growing well and survived the winter.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6543276

Lavender and perennial cornflower in the flower bed.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6543317

Is this Thyme? or Oregano? I can't remember!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6543333

OOps that pic was blurry, it was windy today! Will take a better pic next time.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6543514

It's always Time - Or Can I Go - LOL, I can't tell the two apart and now made myself silly!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 13, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6544927

come in no 36 you're thymes up. LoL!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6545281

That is significantly different that the lottie you started with last season. You have been very busy and must have done something to keep the weeds down for this season as well! lookin good!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 14, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6547765

Hi Candee, It's raining today so I'm not going to the lottie!
The fabric paths I put down really helped over the winter to keep the weeds at bay and it was way better than last year, when I came back to it. I have been busy though, I removed one main path to make a bigger growing area, did you notice? LoL!
I'm still working on the area around the shed, behind the compost bins, which will be the 'den' where you can come for a cuppa!!!
Better go and check on the seedlings in the greenhouse and look for my gourd seeds... LoL!

How is your veggie plot looking??
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6547904

Not sure where you mean
Quoting:I'm still working on the area around the shed, behind the compost bins
. Is the den going to be outside? Will you have cover for your tea pot and such?
We have some taters that are coming up and the onions and carrots seem okay, iffy for the cauliflower and broccoli and think if we want tomatos we will have to go out and purchase some plants, DANG after have 36 started.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6548949

Hi All - you guys are all way ahead of me. The only thing I have planted is 5 tomato plants, and a couple of self-seeding cherry tomatoes. i looked for some of the Japanese eggplants, but they are very scarce this year. I found a small three inch pot for $2.38, but did not want to pay that much...normally I can buy a pack of 6 plants for that price. And, I can't blame it on the weather either. But, I should have much more time now.

Sue - is that a young papaya tree you have towards the right of your photo?
Terri - I can never grow carnations - lovely to see yours.
Candee - cauliflower and broccoli are summer crops for you? Sorry about your tomatoes.

And I am one of the those people who has proverbial dirty fingernails.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6563908

Dianne, I don't expect them to mature until late fall. I think we will have to bite the bullet and go get some tomatos cause I dont think that even the ones that survived the rain are going to amount to much.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 19, 2009
8:10 AM

Post #6568902

Sorry, I missed this thread somehow. Terri, I have brocolli, cabbage, cauli, peppermint, mint, parsley, leeks, marigolds, nasturtiuns, papaya (paw paws), macadamia tree, kaffir lime, salvia bonfire, edible fig, fejoa tree, greek basil, fennel, edible ginger, chillis, lettuce, strawberries, Achillea, weeds, red hot pokers (don't know how they got there) silverbeet (chard), pumpkins, and probably lots opf other things. They all grow on top of each other, and self seed, so all I have to do is move them about. I have another patch with sweet potatos, bananas, turmeric, pineapples and pumpkins aswell as garlic.
I love the love in a mist. I tried to grow it once, but it doesn't like it here. Its really looking good this year terri!
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #6569182

Geez, you sure have a lot of variety in your garden, do you use the nasturtiums for something to eat? Wondering as I have a lot of them started this year.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 19, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6571721

Hello lottie ladies.. welcome soilsandup!!! dirty fingernails are a must around here.

Hope you have some luck with your Tomatoes, mine are still in the greenhouse just about getting the first true leaves after the seed leaf, might put some out in a week or so.

Lots growing in your lil lottie Sue!! pictures please when you get a minute... lol!
The love in the mist seeded itself all around the shed and in the cracks, seems a shame to clear it really!!
I did cut some and bring it home to make an arrangement.

Candee, the den will be outside, no cover! so we will olny be having breaks for a cuppa on nice warm days!!!
Hope you get some more Toms soon. I'm sure the broccoli and caulis will pick up when the weather improves for you.
The area behind the compost bin infront of the shed is almost cleared. I will be putting the black fabric down
to keep the weeds away, asap!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 19, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6571773

I got some new plants from the lottie shop today...

Cornflowers, I tray of black and 1 tray of blue
Lavatara white
Hollyhock yellow
Zinnia 1 tray
Godetia 1 tray
Nicotianna 6
Echinacea 6
Asters 1 tray

Going back tomorrow to plant them all in, or should I take some home for the garden? Whadathink???
Had trouble with the computer tonight, keeps losing internet connection. Catch up with y'all tomorra!
Bon Nuit mon amis...

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6571838

Neither!!!! Bring them over to my garden. LoL
I had some godetia years ago and loved them. Did not save any seeds though.
Those lottie shop plants look very healthy. I have never seen an 8-pack before. I have trouble finding vegetables in 6-packs anymore. They tend to plant them in small individual pots and charge an arm and a leg for them.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6572115

Black cornflowers, can't wait to see them, you could send a few my way! WEll if Dianne doesn't get them first? Why not split them half and half, sounds like a great conglomeration you have selected.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 20, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #6573277

Nice healthy seedlings terri. I agree with Candee, take half home! Some potfuls either side of the Den might look nice too.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 26, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6601357

Thanks Dianne, Candee and Sue! I planted in half of the plants I got and took the rest home.
The trays were 12 packs Dianne, really good value for 2.40. The single pots were all 60p.
Good idea to have pots around the den Sue, I'll get on to it!

Had a busy weekend and great warm sunny weather. Got these planted...
Runner beans, sweetcorn, carrots, turnips, courgettes(zuccini) brussel sprouts, transplanted califlowers and cabbages.
Didn't have time to take pictures, next time!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 27, 2009
8:17 AM

Post #6603301

You really were busy tez. The weather here was pretty nasty again, but we managed to dodge the floods this time. An hour each way of us got flooded though, and Bill couldn't go anywhere till last night, because the highway is shut in both directions, due to floods. Anyway, not much happening in my vege garden, as the brocolli flopped, the paw paw fell over in the wind and so did the macadamia tree. I'm going to look into getting a corrugated iron garden bed. I'll have to save for it though!
I'm back on the job with painting, and started the computer room today. This is the finished lounge. (No curtains yet)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6603565

Sue so sorry to hear of your damage. The poor macadamia tree, what a great loss.
Your lounge looks fresh and new, even without curtains. I dont care for curtains myself, I like to be able to see outside from everywhere in the house so it is prime for a peeping tom LOL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 27, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6604372

Hi Sue, the decorating looks lovely and fresh like Candee said. I bet you are glad that room is done!
Heard about the floods, terrible time of it you have had this last year. Sorry about the plants but at least you and Bill and the dogs are ok! Hope it gets better soon.
It's been raining here the last couple of days. So glad I put some veggies in the ground at the weekend.
Too wet to go to the lottie today again. There's plenty of housework to do ..Booooooo!
Will check the green house and see whats next to go...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6610405

Hi lottie ladies! Here's how the lottie looks today.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6610418

A few flowers popping up in the garden bit.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6610425

I don't remember what this is, but it looks nice LoL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6610444

Lilac Penstemon

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6610453

Bee's all over the Chives here too!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6610463

Strawberries, quite big ones this year!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6610472

Love in the mist in the Strawberry patch..

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6610486

Sue - sorry to hear about all your damages and flooding around you. Your lounge looks very inviting. I like your iron shoe rack.

Terri - your lottie looks nice and neat. Could that reddish flower be a schizostylis (aka crimson flag, Kafir lily). Does it tend to spread alot and blooms in late fall too? if it does, then that is probably it. I planted some and have been pulling them out for the last five years - I should put my mother on that task LoL
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6610513

Potatoes, Onions, Cabbages,Cauliflowers,Sweetcorn, Courgettes and Runner Beans at the back.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6610530

Hi Dianne,
Oh yes it is! Thanks for the ID. I remember I bought a little pot at the flower club, it didn't flower last year.

Cabbages and Cauliflowers in their new home!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6610552

View from the Beans end! with lettuce in the tunnel on the right.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6610592

The den is coming along, made a new bed and planted some Sweet peas, Straw flowers and Amaranthus.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 28, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6610608

Hope they survive the slugs!!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6611139

A freshly planted vegetable garden is such a neat thing. Everything is laid out perfectly, Terri.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 29, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6611452

Thank you Dianne, I am pleased with how neat it looks, it's taken 3 years to be this tidy. LoL!
I will be clearing the compost bins away next to make room for the Sunflower patch, at the weekend hopefully.
How are your tomatoes doing? I haven't put mine out yet, they are still tiny!!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6611697

Well w/o reading any posts I showed this to STeve as it is the prettiest veggie garden ever. I can't believe how great it looks. Must be true the third time is the charm and then I read the posts and find out you are amazed as well. Terri, you should be so proud what a great looking plot!!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2009
10:40 AM

Post #6612906

Wow, Terri! Its looking great. I can certainly see the effort you have put in. I don't think I'll bother with mine this year, I'll just drop in and see yours instead! Whens the lottie competition? I love your Kaffir Lily, and over here in Aussie, thats what we call the Clivia. I've not seen schizostylis before. Your sweet pea tee pee is going to look so cute! I can't wait!
Hi Candee and Dianne, all is well here and Bill and I are going to tackle the yard this weekend. I have to clean some gutters and trim some garden edges, and Bill will mow all the leaves up afterwards. The ground has dried out a bit and we now have a southerly wind, which is Cold. Bill lit the fire tonight and its very warm in here! Whew!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 29, 2009
10:49 AM

Post #6612918

Ooo Thank you Candee!
I've had some nice comments from the other plot holders this year too.
I just hope everything grows and we get some food!!!! lol.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 29, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6612960

Oh Hi Sue!! Sounds cosy by the fire, enjoy! I'm so glad it almost summer here though.
Thanks and glad you like what I've done so far. Lottie comp is in July, but there are loads better than mine mate!!
Will go for a wander along the plots and take some pics soon.
Please bother with yours, love seeing your plants!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #6613025

Hey Sue, we just turned off the fireplace and here you are just beginning. We use ours outside this time of year as we still have somewhat cool evenings occasionally. We had an outside fire every evening last weekend, I just love the flames and the ambiance of a wood fire.
Hope you post your plot as well, I know what you mean she puts me to shame as well - our veggie garden looks well like a veggie garden not too grand.
Terri I am sure you are right up there with the ones you claim are "loads better" - I tell you yours looks mighty fine from here!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 30, 2009
9:30 AM

Post #6616940

Well, Bill and I did the lawns today. It didn't take all that long as the grass has slowed down ALOT!
The vege patch is not looking well at all, so I took a pic of the lawn between the shed and house. Lily is the blur in front and Leo has got the ball. The bonfire is to be lit on June 13, for my birthday the following week. We'll just ask a few friends over and probably sit around the fire and talk and drink. Weather permitting of course.
I might get some mulching done tomorrow, up in the brom garden

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6625809

Oh Sue that is such a lovely photo. I take it that is the bonfire way in the back? Birthday, glad you reminded me, I am such a dunce at remembering them.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6629550

What a neat yard you got there Sue. Is having a bonfire a traditional way to celebrate birthdays in Australia? Sounds like fun!
Candee - my veggie garden is not very grand either (though I am sure yours is better than mine). I only allocated two small plots for them.
Terri - the tomatoes that I got into the ground early are about a foot tall now. The location is not the best spot because it doesn't get enough sun, but, with the way the house is, we don't have any areas with all day sun.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 2, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6629684

Hi Candee and Dianne. My birthday just happens to fall in winter, and the fire bans are off now, so an ideal time to burn off the waste branches. We have had such alot of rain in the last two months. Hopefully it will ease up soon. We usually have dry winters and wet late summer. The yard is looking neat, because the weeds and lawn have slowed their growth considerably. A blow and a mow is the easiest way to clean it up. (the blow being with a petrol leaf blower)
My poor veges are not doing well at all. Some cabbage caterpillars have been having a munch, so i squashed them, and the ground is so wet. I know veges like alot of water, but mine need to grow water wings!
Sue
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 2, 2009
6:45 AM

Post #6629697

lol - i know what you mean, although we aren't getting as much wet as you in OZ.
Today the sun was singing the birds were shining...
we went to the park & it was good:)
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6630026

Dianne, we are having the same problem with the sun. We have so barricaded ourselves in here that the veggie garden only gets partial sun and we think that was part of our tomato problem last year so this year I stuck a couple in the full sun garden, we shall see.
Sue now be sure to post that bonfire. We just love to sit around the firepit, remember up at the cabin when we stayed up almost all night LOL singing songs and drinkin wine around the fire? Sorry the pests are eating your veggies, we put netting over ours - do you do the same?
dalfyre, nice you had a walk in the park and the sunshine, hope it keeps up for you. We have had more rain than usual here but must admit everything is green green and luscious and sure we will be dried up and wishin for more come July and August.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 3, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6634191

Too true Candee, re the 'green and lush' part. It is the same here. I netted my veges the first year, when I had a very tidy square patch, but now its a bit haphazard, and things self seed, so I'm never sure where to net exactly. The idea is that if we plant brocolli, cabbage and cauli's in April, the cabbage butterflies aren't active anymore, but because of the warm, wet conditions, they are still fluttering around making babies!
I will have to net the fig this year, as one or two got eaten by birds, and once they know where theres a source of food, they'll be back! I would really like to start again, with a raised bed just outside the lounge window. I'll take a pic and show you why, but hubby probably won't be in it! He likes to park things there at times. See, its nice and flat and sunny!
Yes, I remember the fire pit at the cabin. What a blast that was. I've never laughed so hard! The pictures were great!
Teresa, did you take the 'mations on your walk? Of course you did! I'm glad you had a break in the weather. We do actually get some sunshine too, its just patchy and you never can be sure what to wear.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6635120

Oh Sue what a view! I think those birds have a bigger birdbrain than I give them credit sometimes. Finding and returning to your figs that is despicable! How dare they intrude in your paradise?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 5, 2009
7:52 AM

Post #6644580

Oh I know! he he/ Terri is away at present, did you know?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 7, 2009
10:46 AM

Post #6653103

Yep the walk to the park we had two dogs, my two nephews & my sister...
I think it was the best day of their trip weather wise & of course the day they had to fly back home.
Since then we have had two snow warnings that have come to nothing - not even rain.
Roses are still blooming, will need a trim soon.
I don't want to prune too early, got caught last winter by bad advice in the paper.
After they said time to prune roses they ran another article saying we should wait another few weeks!
Good thing roses are forgiving.
I was drooling over online rose catalogues, I have decided I need some more named varieties...
I will dig out the noids that have no fragrance & replace them with carefully selected plants.
All I have to do now is choose two or three - from the dozens that I covet!
I am adding a huge walled rose garden to my list of 'must have when I win big on lotto' things.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 9, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6664709

Hope we haven't missed your Birthday Sue? I thought it was around the 15th?
Looks like a great spot for veggies there, just kick the bikes out the way and get planting. LoL!
Did you get the mulching done in Brom Palace? would love to see it !

Dianne, your tomatoes look great! much bigger than mine. Things grow much slower over here in our cold and wet!!
Your plans for a walled Rose garden sound terrific dalfyre!
How are your veggies doing Candee?

Haven't been to the lottie for over a week, so no pictures to update today!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 10, 2009
6:06 AM

Post #6667245

terri - it's a case of dreams being free...
I would love to build a house & garden from scratch & fill it with the plants I love instead of inheriting old overgrown gardens full of the wrong things in the worst places.
Thank goodness for round up & helpful men with chainsaws.
:)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 10, 2009
7:32 AM

Post #6667311

Teresa, Mmmmmm...men with chainsaws!
Birthday is the 16th so a few days to go yet. Its Jesse' 22nd tomorrow. Seems like only 22 years ago! he he.
Yes tez, mulching mostly done. I will take some pics if I manage to get home before the sun sets behind the trees. I've put the painting away for a couple of weeks as we have some visitors coming (my birthday) and I can't have paint and rollers and drop sheets spread all over the house. Its looking ok at present anyway, and the painting bug is almost over!
I just recieved two bromeliads in the post, one from Mum and the other from jess. Well, Jess and I decided to buy our own presents instead of making Australia post rich. Shes going to buy herself some skinny-leg jeans and go out for coffee, and I got my brom and will go out for coffee & CAKE! Mum had me looking on an internet auction site, so I picked a plant and then picked another from the same seller to be my pressie from Jess. They arrived today! I wonder what i can get myself from Bill, that would take all his stress away if i bought my own! I'd be happy to actually!
Anyway, looking forward to seeing how the lottie is shaping up into summer, but I guess you'll have to catch up with it again!
gotto go shower, cook and clean
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #6667571

I know what you mean teresa, I use round up here quite a bit and at the cabin as well. Don't have to worry too much about the flower gardens, but the rock beds still get quite a bit of weeds. I wish Steve was physically able to do the chain saw thing, but he is not supposed to use one because of the vibration so although we have a tree down must wait until Mike our SIL comes up to visit at the cabin again.
Sue sounds like your birthday is a grand success already before it gets here. Company coming, new plants and Jesse enjoying the same!
Terri I took a pic of our veggie garden, it is doing okay although the bugs are already eating the cauliflower and broccoli plants and they have remained covered? Great plan not working LOL.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6667577

Some taters and carrots

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 10, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6667820

Phew! thought we hadn't missed your Birthday Sue! It's elle's soon too, if I remember correctly.
Happy Birthday Jessie! well done Sue for being a great Mum all these years!
Good you are still managing a shower at your age LOL!

Candee, they won't eat much! Your potatoes are looking good, have you earthed them up yet?
dalfyre,we are not allowed to use weed killers or sprays at the lottie. I have to do all the weeding by hand, very regularly. No machines or hoses either!!

The sky is crying again today, at least the lottie is getting watered, it's hard work with the watering cans!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6668225

What do you mean earth them up? We bury them deep and then just let them go. We have done that with potatoes in a barrel but no need when they have been planted deeply.
I guess they could eat a lot considering how much broccoli and cauli we planted LOL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 10, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6669097

I planted my potatoes just covering them, then when they were about 9" tall I 'earthed up'. bringing the soil up covering the stems and just leaving the top leaves.. I've noticed around the lottie everyone does it differently. As long as we both get yummy spuds to eat, thats all that matters.
Keith bought Nemetodes or something weird, you put the powder in the water, they will live in the soil and they eat all the slugs and snails, after six weeks they eat each other. They leave your veggies alone while all this is going on underground! We shall see if it works, not sure I like the idea, but he's already done it!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6669134

Sue - we have quite a bit in common. My son, Aaron, just turned 22 on June 8th, 3 days before your Jesse. I have a daughter named Jessica, whom we call Jessie sometimes too. My birthday is about three weeks after you.

I think I have some volunteer potatoes from the composting that I do - but the snails munched on all the leaves.

Terri - You have to hand water your whole lottie with watering cans???? no hoses??? I hope you don't have dry summers like we do. LoL.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 11, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #6672092

Candee, is your sister in laws name Mike? he he, No I get it, Son in law. Your garden is looking good, and I sympathise as my brocolli and cauli are being ravaged by grubs also.
Like Dianne, I have volunteer potato's which I'll dig up for a free feed. I get lots of volunteers from the compost, which is great, as they are all the things we like to eat.
Terri, how bizarre with the nematodes! I know their are good and bad ones, some eat roots, and thats the reason marigolds are supposed to be planted with your veges. I can't remember if they repel them, or attract them away from the vegies. If they eat slugs and snails, power to the nematodes! I think organic gardening, while being alot of hard work, is a great way to go! I don't know how I'd weed the driveway without round-up though. I hand weeded it three times this year because it was too wet to poison. I hope I never have to do it again.
Dianne, how bizarre about our kids and birthdays! Are you still young enough to get in the shower? he he.
We had our first really cold morning this morning. i don't know the temps because the thermometer is broken, but it felt severe, because it went from warm days and nights to cold in a week! I HATE it! So I'm getting around in layers of clothing, which I have peeled down to shirt by 10am, as the days have been lovely and sunny this week! Finally, it looks as though the rains are passed!
Well, this being my first stop, I'm off to the Aussie forum for a look.
See you's
Sue
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 11, 2009
7:14 AM

Post #6672094

thought I'd better put my flower arrangement on. Red hot pokers (again) Golden Penda (xanthostemon chrysanthe, a native) and some heliconia and variegated ginger leaves.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 11, 2009
7:14 AM

Post #6672095

and a close up

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6672424

Very nice Sue. I planted some giant red hot pokers this season and hope to get some flowers from the. I checked yesterday and dang I still don't have hardly any zinnias coming up in my beds. I musta planted 10,000 seeds on 4 different occasions and hardly see anything at all. They are one of my favorites and I have never had a problem with them in the past, don't know what is wrong?
I am sorry you are getting into the big chill down your way, believe it was just the other day I was complaining of the cold weather.
Nemetodes, will have to go investigate them.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 11, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6673192

Whoo hoo! Fabuloso! Thanks Sue, so pleased you are still making arrangements for us.
Great textures you have there, lovin the fluffy Penda! My red hot pokers have had it and I'm fed up!
Doubt I will ever have beautiful ones like yours to use in arrangements.
I think maybe they should go in the lottie, they might do better?
Your visitors will enjoy the new paint job and fresh flowers, have a lovely time!

No hoses Dianne, sorry did I forget to mention lottie ladies have watering duties? and when the time comes you help out!!!! lol.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 12, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #6677086

Oh Dear Terri! It looks as though your pokers have been attacked by snails! They always flower here in early winter, but yours must flower more in spring? maybe the lottie is the place for them. They grow rapidly here, forming large clumps in no time. The flowers are quite short lived on the plant, but if cut, they last a week with no special treatment. Outside, the bird swing on them and the wind knocks them over, so might aswell cut them!
Candee, re your Zinnias, I have problems with ants carrying off seeds of potulaca and poppies. Could this be your problem? Yes, winter is not my favourite time of year, but at least it is sunny now, and everything is winding down, allowing me to rest a bit.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6679617

Hi Sue, Yes good idea, you put your feet up and rest for a bit!
The Red hot pokers flower from now really, early summer. I found another one, (which hasn't been eaten but it's still green maybe I should cut it now and hopefully it will open in a vase, whatdathink? a loner poker!!

Here's how the lottie looks today...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6679639

The potatoes have grown!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6679644

Here they are earthed up...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6679653

I managed to weed half the bed on the left. The rains have been good for the weeds!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6679662

Lettuce in the green tunnel is growing well at the top.
Courgettes, and Sweetcorn are doing well. No evidence of slugs so far!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009

Post #6679672

Oh a visitor!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6679680

Where are you going cat? lol.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6679702

The chives have finished flowering. There are lots of strawberrys ready to pck.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6679708

Pot marigolds seeding themselves here.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6679715

Mmmmm nice! help yourself!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6679723

Lots more Carnations, they smell sooooo lovely.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6679737

Black cornflower... not quite black!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6679753

Knautia and freebee!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6679761

Nicotiana, this smells lovely in the evenings.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6679784

I'm pleased with the flower garden area this year.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6679790

See ya!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 13, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6679943

Bought a few more plants..

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6680080

Great lottie shots, Terri. It is looking so grand - no wonder you got a visitor. You got catnip in there for him/her? I love your carnations. I have tried growing them for years, but with no success. Yours are so full and healthy.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 13, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6680208

Thanks Dianne! I don't have any catnip. There seems to be 3 lottie cats that wander around, as long as they don't leave me any presents, I don't mind!
The Carnations have really come on since last year. I'll cut some when I go back tomorrow and bring them to your yard to vase thread. Wonder what vase I should use?

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 14, 2009
7:04 AM

Post #6684952

WOW Terri, the lottie looks great! Its so neat and tidy and very productive! I can't believe how much it has improved on last year! It must be the help you got from the family that one time! he he.
I don't know how the red hot poker will go if you cut it immature. Maybe I should cut one of mine and let you know? Because I have more than you, so one sacrifice would be ok.
We had our bonfire last night. It was lovely and warm. A couple of neighbours came over, but it ended up an early night because everyone was tired after a busy day doing whatever they do. I'll have to start building the next one now!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6690605

Hey Sue Happy Birthday, what a great bonfire, hope you got a bit tipsy and danced the night away with friends and family.
Terri, I must say that you lottie looks fabulous, such an improvement over last year. Everything is so healthy and perfect, what a great job you have done.
Nicotiana - I had one of those one year and remember how grand it smelled, that was then and it never thrived here. As for the red hots I bought some of the giant ones to try for this season and so far they seem to be growing well, no sign of posies on them, but was inspired having seen Sues in the past.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6690694

Hi Sue and Candee, Thanks, the hard work has finally paid off, but it's a matter of keeping up with it and not letting it get out of hand with weeds etc.
Looks like a huge bonfire Sue, glad you had a good night and weekend? Happy Birthday!!!! another year wiser, have a good one.
The Nicotiana are annuals here too Candee, just wanted to have some this year!
They had a plant sale at the lottie, Tony gave me quite a few leftovers, he said I had been a good customer this year... lol.

Well Sue and Dianne have the best Red Hot Pokers I've ever seen! Hope your giants do well Candee.
This is the Poker I found in the dark undergrowth!! My only one lol. I'm so tempted to cut it, worried if I don't the slugs will have it. Not sure if it will change colour if I do.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6690713

Man at work!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6690727

Had a frog visitor this time...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6690735

Ribbet!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6691054

Looks like you have quite the happy helper! I tried to keep the nicotinia over winter but it croaked inside. I say pick the poker sounds like it will last longer inside than out and you can always spray it gold when finished! I plan to do that soon with my foxtail lilies.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 16, 2009
6:17 AM

Post #6694120

Nice frog Tez! Is that what happened when you kissed than man in your garden? You'd better kiss it quick and change it back! He He
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 16, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6697797

LoL, he's turned into a grumpy old toad tonight!

The compost bins are gone, a fresh new patch to plant my Giant sunflowers in!
I used some old window boxes, filled them with love in the mist, to define the border with my neighbour's plot.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 16, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6697808

There's so much more space!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6697829

My neighbour is a nice lady called Jenny. This is Jenny's garden area with flowers.
Love in the mist in the foreground are my pots and boxes.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6697850

Lovely lilies Jenny has! We had a laugh about the nasty letters we used to get to tidy up our plots!
We are both happy this year NO letters!!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6697873

My Amaranthus is coming on well. After the thunderstorm yesterday, I thought I might find some plant damage but everything looks ok. Infact it was the best watering the plot has ever had. LoL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6697882

ooooooohhhh a baby cauiflower is here!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6697896

Happy to see it, I'm skipping away until next time.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6698564

Oh that newbie baby is a cutie, perhaps we will get some of our own! So nice you got no letter this year, no wonder it is just so much improved from last year it is like you got a makeover. It is beautiful and you can be very proud of your hard work and results. Look at all the space you have gained, you won't have to shop at the market this season, you can set up a fruit stand of your own.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 17, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #6699104

I can't believe they would send you a letter. I thought the lottie was good last year too, just better again this year! Nice new cauli, and yes, so much room. i can just see your sunflowers swaying in the breeze! Jenny has got fabulous liliums! I wish I could grow them like that!
Its so neat and tidy now, I bet you go there and can't find anything to do! he he
Sue
flowertips
Haslemere
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6701337

Lovely plot Terri!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6704721

Oh you funny, funny girl! Now flowrtips is that all you can say, please thought you would have raved so much more, look at all she has accomplished!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 19, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6712172

Thanks flowertips!

Don't know what you mean Candee... LoL!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6720502

right!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6727192

flowertips has a lil lottie!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6727221

I can't remember exactly what everything is ... lol
Swiss chard, peas, spinach, onions,spring onions, cabbage ,tomatoesrunner beans and potatoes growing in a box!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6727231

Nice hanging basket tree!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6727239

Nice flowers (I gave her these years ago) lol!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6727241

Lupins...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6727245

Copycat !!!!! flowertips has a Chimenea now.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6727275

Huge patch of Iris at flowertips...

Better go and tend to my own plot!
How are your veggies doing? we ate some lettuce at the weekend it was delicious!!!
I planted the Sunflowers, the race is on...!
Sue have you picked a number for your sunflower yet?

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6727741

Looks like sis has quite a nice plot as well. Now is her's at her home or is it away like yours?
Ours is looking poorly, there is a rabbit that is having a field day with some of the plants and Steve is up there every day and eve with his rifle, but the bunny still eludes him! The maters don't look too good and we have no idea why. Oh well, perhaps we shall get a little something from it and the taters and carrots still look good, for now anyway.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 24, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6730812

I have a dalmatian that is putting his paw up for bunny hunting.
You would have to watch he didn't add a salad to his meal though.
I have never known dogs to enjoy fruit & veg like dals do.
Copper likes plums so much I have seen him climb the tree to get at them!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 24, 2009
6:57 AM

Post #6730816

Hi Terri, what numbers are left on the sunflowers? What are the lovely yellow flower spikes at your SIL's house? They are yummy!
I think I recognised broad beans in her Lil lottie. Yuk! They do grow well however!
My veges have got webbed feet and water wings! he he. Poor things may recover. I know veges like alot of water, but this year has been ridiculous! We've just had two days of sunshine and the shortest day was on Sunday, so the days will get longer from now on. I'm sick of getting up in the dark!
Sorry about your vege plot Candee, how annoying. Maybe you should make a decoy vege plot with easy to grow lettuce e.t.c to keep the bunny out of your kitchen garden?
Teresa, do you have any veges in? Its probably a bit cold in your climate?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 24, 2009
7:37 AM

Post #6730857

I have loony lettuces...
two came up in the shingle under the washing line...
I left one & transplanted the other and found one more in the shingle driveway & transplanted that too.
they are slowly growing in the terrace garden.
The one under the washing line has provided fresh leaves for two meals so far & has kept thriving despite several hard frosts.
I need to get pics, it is an oddity.
I would like to get a kit set garden to grow some veg come spring - I have the perfect spot - along the north facing fence under the washing line...
the lettuce gave me the idea that it would be a good spot :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 24, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6731535

Lil lottie is in flowertips garden at home, her garden is much bigger than mine!!
Sorry about the rabbit munching, reminds me of our rabbit eating my sunflower stalks last year!!
Katie cellotaped it back and the sunflower grew lovely. lol!

There are 25 Sunflowers Sue. I have 15 on one side and 10 on the other at the moment.
Will put some seeds in too.

The numbers gone are... 3,4,7,15, 20 ... everything else is up for grabs!!
Candee and dalfyre haven't picked a number either lol!

Sorry I can't remember the name of the yellow spikey plant! My next door neighbour gave me some of it years ago, will ask her the next time I see her out in the garden.
I think there are broad beans in lil lottie... (double yuk)!!!

Sounds like a great spot for veggies dalfyre, a new spring project for you to be planning!
I didn't think dogs ate lettuce, it must be very nice dalfyre!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2009 3:08 PM
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6732574

I never heard of dogs eating fruits. Climbing the plum tree musta been a real photo op!
I'll take lucky 13 Terri!
Oh now that you mention it I do recall the sunflower that Katie repaired.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 24, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6733915

pick a number - has to be 14 for me.
I came home one day & couldn't see my dog...
then I looked up & there he was up the tree, I wish I had a camera handy but he was down before I could collect my thoughts.
Seeing a dog 6ft up a tree will startle you slightly!
He had been up on his hind legs getting low hanging plums, then stepped onto a branch, and went up like he was on a ladder...
well that is my guess since I didn't see him do it - and I cut the low branches off as I was worried he would either climb up & over the fence or worse fall out.
The whole tree is gone now - the dogs were the only ones that enjoyed the fruit & I was fed up with the mess, the damp & the amount of space it took up.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6734150

That must have been a funny sight with your dog - LoL.

You don't like plums??? We had a Santa Rosa plum once, and I loved it, but it died.

I have a couple of cherry tomatoes forming - maybe get some pickings in a few weeks.

Terri - does that yellow spikey plant make a good cut flower?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 25, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6734305

Good choice Candee, 13 is lookin' good! and 14 dalfyre!

I put the last of my tomatoes and peppers in, my greenhouse is empty, I have space to play with flowers again!
Feels great when everything is in the ground... Yay hay! Only a case of weeding, watering and waiting!!!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 25, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6734334

Dianne, I have some of that yellow spikey plant in a bucket ouside the back door from flowertips last friday!
Will check it out tomorrow, forgot about it!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 25, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6734366

Sue, Sunflower number 21 has just gone!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 25, 2009
7:27 AM

Post #6735580

huff, puff, here i am, I'll take number 16 thanks Terri! Or which ever one is the biggest of the untaken ones, he he.
Teresas story about the plum eating dogs reminds me of a very intelligent Staffordshire I once owned, who used to get a run up the side of his dog kennel (it was an 'A' frame shape) and pick lemons off. He would then drop them at my feet and play fetch with them until they were a soggy mess! He always had very fresh breath!
The Staffys I have now like the mulberries, tomato's, strawberries, peaches and bananas. I have to feed them the bananas, cause they can't reach, but they eat the rest themselves (the peach is a dwarf peach) Maybe I should feed them more? he he
I would be interested to know if that yellow flower makes a good cut flower also, Terri. I love yellow in the garden.
Got the fire going and a casserole in the oven. Hubby will think I am a great wifey when he gets home. Got him fooled!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 25, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6737523

tee hee will get the tape measure out for you and pick the best! Don't tell the others!! NOT REALLY!!!
number 16, is good, very good!
You are a good wifey. what's for pudding???????????//// lol wink wink... say no more! ,...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2009
8:46 AM

Post #6740363

I have a good hubby, he had dinner cooked & fire on - so nice to come home to.
He has been putting the fire on before he goes to work so it is nice & warm when I get up...
and when it is a frosty morning that is just so nice :)
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2009
9:39 AM

Post #6740407

this is the area I'd like to try a raised kit set vege bed along the fence.
You can just make out my loony stray lettuce down the end.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2009
9:42 AM

Post #6740410

and this is the lettuce close up...
it is growing where weed mat was covered with shingle - no soil, I have no idea how it survives.
And it has been severely frosted several times now & still looks good enough to eat.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2009
9:47 AM

Post #6740418

and the other two 'wild' lettuces.
I am trying to grow a rosemary, might be 'Tuscan Blue'
The ones I have already are prostrate which is good for pots & sprawling over the edge of a raised bed.
The thyme is 'silver thyme'.
Great accent plant.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6741792

Nice lettuce patch, Dalfyre.

It is so hard to think about a nice, warming fire in a fireplace when we are expecting 105 degrees F tomorrow. I am so looking forward to a frosty morning.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 26, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6742696

Oh, I am so jealous! I wish someone would have a meal waiting for me when I get home. If hubby ever retires, I'm sure he would do it for me.
They're cute lettuces Teresa. A vege patch would look great against that wall. I looked at your grey sky in the pic and thought how it might snow! he he.
Hey Dianne, I can't wait until WE are getting 105 temps! This winter has been fairly mild, its just the rain that is driving me nuts. Its normal that we have so much rain. Ouyr winters are usually dry. At least the lawn is staying green, your too Teresa.
Terri, too right about desert. he he
Sue
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 27, 2009
11:35 AM

Post #6744732

they threatened us with snow a while back but so far nowt!
Last year we had a couple of falls that settled, snow is fairly rare in Ch Ch though.
Plays havoc with traffic, we have no idea how to drive in the slippery white stuff.
Except for those who are regular skiers that is.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 27, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6745248

Looks like a great spot for your veggie bed dalfyre. Your lettuce look yummy!

Gather round , lottie news!!!!
There is a space between Jenny's compost bin and the edge of my plot (about 1ft) I asked her if I could plant up to her compost bin (it's otherwise an empty gap) she agreed. We put up bamboo sticks and made a frame for some climbing plants, I planted them all in, hoping to hide her compost bins!
On my last visit I was greeted by a committee member who said Jenny has complained that I had gone over the boundry line on the plot! Why did she say it was ok to my face? Anyhow, spent the whole day digging up plants and taking down the frame! Replanted them and the frame alongside the sunflowers instead. SSSSSSheeeesh! Now it's bare on that side and I have a great view of Jenny's 3 compost bins.

More news! It has come to light that someone has been sub - letting half of their plot to another couple! Think they might get kicked out!! ... lottie life, never know whats gonna happen next... LoL!

This message was edited Jun 27, 2009 4:41 PM
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6747041

Sounds like Peyton Place to me!! LoL (for those of us old enough to remember that soap opera)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 28, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6747239

I remember Peyton Place LoL!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6753607

Oh I remember Peyton Place as well, thanks for the memories!
dalfyre that dog in the tree musta really been something to see, wow! Hope my #13 is doing well because either the bunny or the groundhog got to mine?
Sorry terri, that two-faced you know what? Who knows what ticks inside some folks.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 29, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6753733

Will have to go and check on the little darlings today! In this heatwave, lol, I guess they need more water than usual!
Who's helping to fetch the water today? I have 4 watering cans ready to fill up...
Sunflower no 13 to be watered first, feel sorry you lost your sunflowers AGAIN!! I think Steve might feel a bit left out if you don't pick a sunflower for him.

Yeah Candee, such is life! Haven't seen her since I took everything out! Must take a picture of the 'gap' !
If I put fencing up on my side, then she will have the 'gap' to weed, nettles love it there, not my problem!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6754370

Good for you, glad you were able to get a fence up, perhaps she will now eat those words, tehe!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6761444

I haven't put a fence up, just thinking about it!

Mind the GAP!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6761457

We can sit in the den and admire Jenny's compost bins ... LOL!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #6762191

mmm - I like the tent that you made (is it for the peas?) I have some of those U shaped bamboo rods, and never did figure out how to use them. having them as a base support like that looks interesting and stable, while the taller three stakes gives it some height. I may have to steal that idea.

You see terri - your garden is so interesting that Jenny's compost bins are hardly noticeable.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:14 AM

Post #6762341

LOL! yep, just gonna ignore it for now, lets face the other way!!!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:16 AM

Post #6762343

The Amaranthus is growing up nicely...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:21 AM

Post #6762346

It looks like stick city, sticks everywhere on all the plots lol.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:23 AM

Post #6762349

Sunflower patch... sneak preview!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:27 AM

Post #6762352

The Beans are running up the sticks...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:28 AM

Post #6762354

Sweetcorn on the left, lettuce to the right...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:30 AM

Post #6762355

The first courgette!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #6762356

Cauliflowers and cabbages...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:34 AM

Post #6762357

A surprise Sunflower in with the carrots. Hope it's a King Kong Sunflower coz this baby's mine... LoL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:36 AM

Post #6762360

Onions...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:37 AM

Post #6762364

Pointed cabbage and Broccoli

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:38 AM

Post #6762366

Lettuce..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:41 AM

Post #6762371

Victorian peas and Sweet peas around the wigwam, Strawbs and chives...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #6762373

I put down bark chippings on the front paths...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:48 AM

Post #6762377

Hot bed!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:53 AM

Post #6762381

The lawn edges need doing .. tut tut terri!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:55 AM

Post #6762382

cool bed!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
8:58 AM

Post #6762383

pastel shades ish!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 1, 2009
9:03 AM

Post #6762384

Have a great day everyone, bye for now!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 1, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #6762408

Wow terri, that looks great! I love the bark chip path. Everything looks so lush and colourful.
As for your neighbour, her mind must be as small as that gap! Why would you even bother about, what? 6 inches?
That last pic is fabulous!
The lotties ARE looking a bit sticky! he he. If they were green sticks they wouldn't be so noticeable. Or, to make them a feature, you could put little silk flags in bright colours at the top of each one, and they'd flutter in the breeze, keeping the birds away...maybe not! he he.
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6762662

Oh, I feel as though I am sitting right there by your side in the den chuckling about that silly neighbor. You know Dianne is right they are hardly noticeable and even though you can see them if you look, I have seen a lot worse looking compost bins, for instance ours LOL! So least it is not something hideous.
If I were there I would paint them with some parrots and lovely vines and they would fit right in!
I love the cuppa sitting there as a centerpiece. The whole lottie is just wonderful, you must be so proud. I know we are proud of what you have done there.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 2, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6765818

Ahhh what great mates you are, Thank you! I'm glad I started the lottie thread, it's helped me having your encouragement to get the plot organised.
Next time I go to the lottie I will take pics of the other plots and start a new thread with the tour!

Yikes !! it's past my bedtime, gotta go! Thanks again.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2009

Post #6765879

Goodnight friend!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 2, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6768083

Morning!!! wakey wakey rise and shine! Jobs to do, places to go.

Tha 'gap' is still bugging me ... lol.
It is the only unresolved area!!!! what shall I do?????
Sue suggested plant pots around the den ages ago, but now I don't have many plants left to pot up only Begonias and they won't get very tall! The Morning glories would have been perfect there! I was a bit hasty moving them, I should have planted them through the fabric along the edge.instead and moved the frame forward. oh heck!!!

Need to think of something else, which doesn't involve alot of cash!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6784670

Cucumbers!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6784681

First one ever whoo hoo!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6784698

Courgettes, getting more everyday...

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6784705

Bravo!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009

Post #6784706

Onions getting bigger.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6784723

Thanks Candee, I've no idea on the cucumbers! don't know if it's ready / ripe yet?

can't wait for the sweetcorns, no corn yet.. lol.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6784741

Keith did the lawn edges!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6784757

Pleased the flower beds are looking colourful this end!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6784778

View from the den!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6784800

Edging looks beautiful and those zinnias need to be dug up and brought over here. If the cuc is firm and big it is likely ready for picking. Do you make pickles?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6784896

Thanks, I'll pass on the compliment to the lawn edging man!
I haven't made any pickles before!. I will have to check if it's firm next time. Hope I get lettuce toms and cucumber ready all at the same time... lol. lookng forward to fresh salads.
It was seeing your Zinnas last year, thought they were lovely. This is the first time I have grown them, so Thanks!

I think this happened at the weekend, don't know when we will hear the results... LoL!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6784922

Well you are definitely in the running this year! How many lotties are there?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6784943

There are 40 lotties. They have 1st 2nd 3rd and the ' most improved plot '.
We shall see , I'm not counting any chickens yet LOL!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6784949

LOL, I put all my eggs in one basket just the other day. I was making breakfast on the grill and put my last 4 in the basket to take out to cook.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6785590

Garden is looking great Terri - both the veggies and flowers. Good luck on the contest - yours look like a winner to me. Your vegetables are so far ahead of mine. I planted two cucumber plants too, but no sign at ALL of any fruit. Cucumbers are normally picked at the size to the liking of the picker - some like smaller cucumbers, others like them bigger. Just don't wait too long or it gets seedy.

Candee - I made pickles about 20 years ago. Never got enough cucumbers again, but I got all the pickling spices still in my cabinet LoL. It was a lot of work, as I recalled. Fresh eggs on the grill - that is some delicious breakfast.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6785753

Hi Dianne, righty hoe! think I'd better pick it then, so exciting LOL! Thanks I don't want seedy do I? lol even then I'll eat it.

I did something with the problem area! Rolled back some of the fabric to make a new bed, went to the supermarket and bought loads of herb plants! Filled the box planters with hebs and Begonias
Basil,Thyme,Corriander,Parsley,Mint,Sage,Oregano new herb bed in the den, nice and fragrant!!
I transplanted some Gallardia, white Nicotiana and put some tomatoes in there too. Think it looks better than it did before.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6785770

I'm NOT weeding the Gap ... LoL!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 7, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6787754

Looking fabulous Tez! I'm so glad Keith is getting involved too. Don't let him take all the credit though! Bill tells everyone "look at the garden WE made" and he might have dug 1 hole out of 100! MEN
The herb idea is a good one, and the gap is not even noticeable. Maybe next year you can put up a trellis and put the sweetpeas there? Or beans or something climby. But it does look good now!
Congratulations on the cucumber. It looks ready. I've grown them a few times, but like Dianne, the first year I had waaaay to many, and the next, not one! I might try them again one day.
Our lettuce here are doing well, but whats the point? Its winter and who wants to eat salad? The brocolli are just starting to show some buds, but the leaves were a bit chewed by some late cabbage butterflies. We're in for more rain apparently...groan!
Gee Terri, you must be saving some money by growing your own food? In my eyes, you've already one the best and most improved lottie! Congratulations.
Sue
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 7, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6788029

lol - I have a lovely lettuce that is going to waste because it is winter & the thought of salad holds no appeal.
Hopefully the two other ones will be ok for spring.
And as cold as you get just be glad you don't have to contend with this...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 7, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6788573

Hi Sue and dalfyre.
I know what you mean Sue, he's already trying to take over LOL! just have to laugh when I hear him chatting to the other plot holders walking by, he's done this and that! then sees me looking over and says but... Terri's done most of it LOL!
I will put a trellis or something up next year for sure.
I'm not saving much money yet Sue, still buying potatoes and everything! hope ours will be ready soon.
We have loads of lettuce , looks like you have Iceburg lettuce there dalfyre lol.

Scary thunderstorms here today, I'm staying indoors!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6790532

We used to make pickles, but with just the 2 of us we never ate many of them so they went to waste. We stopped making them a few years ago.
I know what you mean about the salad, we never eat them in winter either, but this time of year we often just have a salad for dinner.
The trellis is a great idea for next year. Perhaps Keith will make one for you?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 8, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6790938

Thanks Candee, I'll get on and sow the seeds for that idea now... lol.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 8, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6791603

Brrrrr...thanks teresa! Your photo reminds me that there is always someone worse off than I. Its Blimmin freezing here today, with cold rain and wind. My nose is like ice and my finger can't hold the corn chips long enough to get them in my mouth. I'll have to get the vacuum out before Bill gets home. I was supposed to go into town, where I was going to look at the available vege seedlings, to see what can go in the ground now, but I'm not much for driving in the rain. Maybe tomorrow if it clears up. I only have a two hour session on for the morning, and was supposed to be painting, but ...meh...can't be bothered. A trip to town (complete with muffin and coffee) sounds like a nicer time.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6800118

Keep warm you too!

Happy Birthday Dianne! I picked a load of flowers for you, have a great day!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2009
6:17 AM

Post #6800725

That is one BIG humongous load of flowers. I see you picked the crocosmia too - and everything else that is blooming in your garden LoL...I think we are going to have enough flowers for all the tables in the cafe tomorrow.
Is one of those the vase that you recently splurged on?

I had a great day. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Sue - hope it got a little warmer for you today. It has been nice and coolest here for Sacramento - high in the mid-eighties.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6802406

Hi Dianne, I had a flying trip to the lottie to pick flowers. Annie's boyfriend gave me a lift in his car, so that was handy!
It's been raining everyday this week, so I haven't needed to water. It looks like our heatwave is over.
Picked the cucumber and 4 courgettes too, everything looked ok.

I haven't unpacked the new container yet, it's still in the box!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6803913

4 courgettes and a cucumber!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6803938

lettuce and cucumber, get your face pack here ...lol!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6804105

She is really cute - looks like we have another potential staff member for the cafe - she can always be the waitress with the pickup line "lettuce take your orders".
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 11, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6804226

LOL! like it.
We ate half the cucumber in a salad with the lettuce, the cucumber skin was a bit tough LOL, so I peeled it and it tasted great! Next time should I pick it earlier?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 11, 2009
8:17 AM

Post #6805370

Nice flowers Terri. I hope you left some for yourself. Sorry I missed your birthday Dianne. happy belated birthday. We've been having showers, apparently like English weather terri! Its cool, but still fairly mild compared to previous years (i think)
I had a look in my garden today, and there are little heads appearing on the brocolli, but the ground is still saturated! The parsley is growing well, and the fennel also. Theres not much else going on for the table though.
Bill and i took the dogs for a long walk at the beach, and up onto the headland. It was a nice afternoon.
Whats your plans for the weekend?
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 11, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6806104

Hi Sue, Great you've got heads appearing on the Broccoli, nothing on mine yet, but they were the last thing I planted.
I pulled out my parsley!! it had gone to flower. I put some new parsley plants in the herb boxes.
Sounds lovely walking along the beach, raining here again today. Just typical, the first week of my holidays and it's rained everyday!
Katie needs new trousers and a top for her concert on Monday, she's singing solo in the gospel choir.. !! I can't sing to save my life LOL! Not looking forward to a trip to town with moody pants to buy clothes ... help! I'd much rather go to the beach with you!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6808363

Went to the lottie in the evening, picked 9 courgettes, oh no it's started ... and a wagon load of lettuce .. lol!
Shame we haven't got the rabbit anymore she would have loved it!
The den is starting to fill up...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6808370

It smells nice in the evening with all the herbs and Nicotiania

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6808388

The sweet peas are just starting to flower...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6808397

I'm not impressed with Nicotiana 'limelight' here at the front, tiny flowers hanging down!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6808407

The white Nicotiana are very fragrant.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6808417

The beans are at the top of the canes and the front garden is hidden from here now!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6808425

Tomatoes are on their way!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6808429

Big Beefy!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6808434

Another cucumber!!! I'm sure this wasn't here the other day..lol

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 12, 2009
6:43 AM

Post #6809115

I'm so envious that you have such a productive garden Terri! I guess Im not as passionate as you, or at least, not passionate enough! Alot of my time and energy is spent drooling around the bromeliads these days! he he. The only bromeliad I can eat are the pineapples, and I have 4-5 of those around the place. Hopefully, i will get a fruit or two this year.
I dug up a sweet potato a couple of days ago, so I must go and have a poke around the plants and see if there are any more. I cut off one big Jap pumpkin yesterday, the only one that set this year! I noticed a green strawberry today, but as soon as the dogs find a strawberry, they'll be checking the patch every day. Mutts! Its all good really. Its nice to get anything out of the veges patch at all.
Beautiful day here Tez! Did a spot of weeding and mulching, and walked around with a cuppa once or twice, eating date scones! Very chillaxing
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6809423

Sue, you've got the winter blues LOL! It will pass. The lottie season is in full swing now, but come Sept/Oct there won't be anyone here! Sounds like you had a nice chilled day, love date scones!

The lottie has come a long way, I remember what it looked like when I took over the neglected plot! ...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 13, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6811758

Here's a courgette cake to share!

I must find that recipe from Candee for the Zuccini bread.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 13, 2009
6:33 AM

Post #6812945

Ha ha ha Tez, I love the corgette cake! Looks like you've been nibbling the corner on the top one.
Wow, what a long way your plot has come! Have they awarded you with your prize yet?
Its a nice time of year here, at the moment. The weather has been very mild/warm for winter! The grass hasn't been mowed for well over a month, and doesn't need doing still. I can actually take a stroll and NOT find too many things that need doing.
Got any recipes for Brocolli?
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6813601

I have a good one with broccoli, ritz crackers and velveeta cheese melted with a bit of cream or something, will have to find it for you.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 13, 2009

Post #6815849

whoo hoo Sue, your Broccoli is growing great! Looks like you will be eating yours first, there's nothing happening on mine yet. It's good you are getting a rest from the mowing and having time to enjoy your garden, instead of work work work|! How's Brom Palace looking?
It's a bit quiet at the lottie, not much to do now!! apart from a bit of weeding and watering, there's nothing to do but wait for the veggies to grow. Glad I put the flower beds in, they keep me busy with the deadheading at least.. lol.
Haven't heard any news, only that someone came to judge from another Allotment site! They haven't put up a notice or anything yet. Don't worry you'll be the first to know if ... lol!

Your Sunflowers are all doing well. 3 fell over, but I tied them back up so hope they are ok.. numbers 20,23,7.
It's typical that the one growing tallest so far has no name.. lol! Sadly number 15 is the smallest, but it's early days!
Most have buds coming now. Sweet sixteen is looking very strong and sturdy!
People have been asking me what are all the names by the Sunflower plants, thinking they are a certain variety lol.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 14, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #6817275

Sunflower sue, he he. I think it sounds great! Can you show any pics?
That recipe will be interesting Candee, but what is velveeta cheese? I'll google it.
Terri, Brom palace is still looking great, but its too small. I can't do anything about an extension until the ground dries out. I want my neighbour to bring his bobcat in to level a bit more, but he'll make a mess while the ground is so soft. Patience...patience... I keep telling myself. I must stop buying new plants, because I have to spread them all about the place, and its hard to keep track.
Heres a couple in flower up in the back garden
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6822724

Hi Sue, I think velveeta cheese is a creamy cheese, I remember asking what it was before!
Hope you are not getting more rains in your area and it dries out soon. You must have quite a large collection of Broms now? Those ones are lovely and look so happy where they are.

Your Sunflower is called WeedWoman.. lol. A cute little Ladybird was visiting you when I took this photo!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6822726

The Sunflower patch!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6822737

Here's numbers 13, 14, 15 !

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6822786

The morning glory are filling out and going up the canes.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6822807

The Sweet peas are flowering!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6822811

Something is happening in the middle of the Sweetcorn ...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6822822

Turnips getting big, we had one mashed with carrot last weekend, yum very nice!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6822828

Broccoli, growing slowly!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6822836

The long view!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6822855

The other end..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6822872

Last one for now...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 15, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6822885

Sue, say good luck to the Aussies in the cricket to Bill ... you're gonna need it ...LOL!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6822915

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
Here is the link to velveeta cheese, it is quite creamy when you melt it and used in lots of recipes here.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 16, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6825434

Cricket, aren't they beetles in the yard? he he
Wow. And WOW. Your lottie is just exploding! i can't believe how quickly everythingis growing there! You must get fairly regular rain to keep it all watered, because you aren't there bucket watering it everyday eh? I'm expecting some pretty good arrangements once you start to cut the flowers!
Thanks for that Link Candee. It would compare to our processed cheddar cheese I think. Gosh, I always learn something at DG!
We just had a little shower of rain, after a glorious sunny morning. Now its blimmin cold enough to have the heater on. Brrrrr.
I've been intown at a garden this morning, but got a stone chip on the windscreen! I've had it repaired (kinda made todays work redundant) and while I was waiting, I had my legs waxed for the first time. It wasn't too bad.
Anyway, I did some grocery shopping, came home, and found a note from the postie to pick a parcel up back at the shops. Doh! I really want the parcel, so I will go out again, but it's school holidays and the highway is a nightmare! Also I'm now wary about stone chips!
Enough moaning and groaning from me! Loving the good work Terri, and the pics are just wonderful to look at!
Sue
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
6:26 AM

Post #6825562

Hi Sue - is your windscreen what we refer to as the windshield? I got a crack on my van about 4 months ago - now it is dancing it's way across in zigs and zags. It is in the lower edge of the windshield so my view is not blocked, but I am hoping that it will stop, and that I won't have to replace it any time soon. Your chip must have been small for them to be able to repair it.

Enjoy your cool weather. We are in the midst of another heat wave.

I don't have much vegetables growing in my garden, Terri, but my apricot tree has had a good crop. We are down to the last few.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 16, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #6825647

Ouch, leg waxing! you are brave ..lol.
Thank you! I'm delighted you think it's looking good and the pics are ok, I was thinking it might be boring for you seeing the same stuff all the time, but just a bit bigger!. It's been raining nearly everyday for 2 weeks now, so I think that has made the explosion of growth. I've been going to the lottie twice a week recently! 16 courgettes so far and they've only just begun! Luckily we have a few veggie friends who are very grateful to recieve them lol, we invited them to the lottie to pick their own and they went home with a huge bag of lettuce leaves and courgettes! They want to make a lil lottie in their garden now.
Sorry you had the windscreen episode, glad it's fixed!
Katie's school breaks up for summer holidays today for 7 weeks. After school I'm taking her to get her brace fixed again!!! she's only had it on for 2 weeks and it has broken twice already. Next week she has the top one fitted..
Your parcel wouldn't be plants would it? LOL BROMS???
I don't have time to make arrangements, I'm a farmer woman now, haha!!
Keep warm Sue!

Hi Dianne, Did you take any pics of your Apricot tree this year? It's great you've had a good crop. Do you make jam with them? Quite a few of the plots have fruit trees..I've seen Cherry, apple, pear, plum, they all have fruits growing. I would like to grow some fruit but those trees take years to fruit don't they? I was thinking of getting some soft fruits, maybe Blackberry, raspberry or gooseberry next year or something that will give me fruits in the first year.. lol. Would love to grow Bananas or pineapples, but they wouldn't survive the winter.
How are your tomatoes doing? Hope your heatwave isn't frying your plants, keep cool!

Funny, to Sue I'll say good night sweet dreams! to Dianne Good morning, have a great day!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6825792

Hey terri you can still grow pineapples like I do just take them in during winter months. What are you feeding katie, bricks LOL?
Dianne, be careful of that chip, I hear that they can really expand in the hot weather like getting into a hot car and turning on the AC. Did you check with your insurance about repairing it?
Sue, so you are downunder there in the chill. Guess it won't be long before we are facing heating bills again, but won't think about that right now, too much to do. Never did that waxing thing, but with my legs I don't really have to worry there isn't enough circulation to really grow hair! Everything has a positive side right!
I removed all the stone edging along the back wall of the house, just got sick of it and now we are grading it to put in mulch. Always something.
Today headed to the cabin to cut grass, spray the spatterdock in the pond and perhaps fish a bit???
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 16, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6825858

Hi Candee, LOL! I think she tried to have a sneaky cookie (she's not surposed to have anything hard) but she's not admitting that of course. It broke all by itself! ...yeah right!!!
It's nice to have a change in the garden, sounds like you've been busy moving all the stone edging. Bet it looks really different? Have a nice weekend at the cabin, hope it's lovely weather and you manage to relax a bit in between getting your jobs done!

Dianne it sounds quite dangerous, be careful!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6835447

I will make fixing that windshield a high priority...
Candee - have fun at the cabin

Nothing at all like the quantity and neatness of Terri's lottie, but here is my small vegetable patch. This is my tomato strip - with two eggplants and some chives in the right

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6835448

My first eggplant of the year. This is the Japanese long ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6835474

Instead of the regular tomato cages this year, I am trying a different method. I have metal stakes by each plant, and in the past, put cages around the stake and plants. But, I bought some coated metal wire and is snaking them between the stakes, collecting the tomato stems between the wires. The hoop of extra wires are for continued twining as the plants get taller.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6835476

A closeup of the coated wires and tomato stem

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6835482

Closeup of the tomatoes. I planted mostly the Ace variety since we had a lot leftover from a package that my co-worker seeded.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6835497

to the right of the tomato strip is my vegetable planter. In the front is some self-seeding cherry tomatoes, hidden in that jungle is two more eggplants, two bell peppers, some oregano, two cucumber (no sign of any yet), and a Chinese fuzzy melon (the viney thing hanging over the edge of the planter). And that is the full extent of my vegetable garden. I do not have many area around my house that has enough sunshine to support a lot of vegetables.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6836189

Hi Dianne, Thanks for posting pictures of your veggies, it's great to see what you've got and how you plant stuff.
I noticed your chives have white flowers? interesting!!! mine are purple.
I planted 2 melons, one has died and the other looks sickly! they probably need more heat to get healthy looking like yours? Your toms are growing thick and look heavy with fruits! Do you take off some tomato leaves?
What will you cook with the eggplant? need ideas for courgettes... lol!
Thanks again for sharing your veggie pics! What you've got growing looks like top quality food, thats what we all want isn't it?
I plan on going to the lottie tomorrow, weather permitting. I want to have a look and see if there are any new potatoes yet..
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6836232

I think I am going to chop up the eggplant and add it to the tomato sauce to make a vegetarian sphagetti sauce.

oh, almost forgot. Terri - you asked for a photo of my apricot tree. Most of the fruit is gone now (lots of it eaten by squirrels and birds), but here is a photo of one of the later ripening branches. Despite having to share with the critters, I did manage to pick some to share with family and friends, and even made 4 small jars of jam a few days ago. I did not add any sugar, just boil and mashed them, and added a little lemon juice. Because of the lower sugar content, I will be keeping them refrigerated.

Next up, the nectarine crop is ripening. Fruit trees do take about 5 years to start bearing fruit well, but once they start, they produce fruit for years. The apricot and nectarine tree I have are about 18 years old, the cherry and persimmon tree about 15 years old, and the lemon and tangerine tree about 10-12 years old. I have been thinking about planting some blueberries too - they have new varieties that can take the heat. Terri - you are lucky to have room for blackberries and the other cane fruits.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6836297

Nice Apricots, I love apricot jam it's my favourite! Apart from taking years to get fruits, trees can take up so much valuable growing space on the plot.. lol. If I get soft fruits I will probably make a netting cage where the Sunflowers are for them.
Yep, I made tomato sauce and used some courgettes chopped up in that for spaghetti the other night... LoL ..next!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6838171

Hi terri, I finally made it! WOW, you have been very busy here! So ok, lottie gal, whats next???
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6838444

Hello Blossom, nice to see you here. Don't bother sitting down just yet!
The watering cans are by the shed, follow me down the path to the water butt.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6838460

I't great having your help with those 2 watering cans, 4 cans a trip, between us we should get the plot watered in an hour or so!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6838522

Okie dokiie, I am your pack mule for a day. HEEYAW!!! Sure glad I brought my wheelburro!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6838565

LOL! I did get 3 watering cans in the wheelbarrow here, but the spillage does my head in with the uneven pathways!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6838989

Root Quiz!

I found this root sprouting in the compost bin, obviously something I dug up when clearing in the spring.
any ideas what it might be???

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 20, 2009
9:04 AM

Post #6840571

Beautiful garden Dianne. You both have me inspired to put in some effort.
Terri, would that root be from asian greens, like Bok choy?
I weeded half my vege patch yesterday, and am going to buy some 'blood'n'bone' or some liquid fertiliser to feed up my plants. The brocolli is going great, but I don't think it is going to get all that big, as the stems are only an inch thick. Nevermind, its no fun having too much anyway. I dug out some ginger root and sweet potatos, so thought I might make some soup, using the pumpkin and a bit of bacon (sorry tez)
I might put in some peas soon, and when its a little warmer, some beans and corn. I don't think I'll bother with tomatos, as I seem to get plenty from neighbours or customers.
I really want to try carrots, but need to build up a proper bed for them. I will have to think on that one for awhile.
lovely sunny day today, and I only worked for half of it. I sat in the sunny window catching up on the phone with Mum instead.
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6840860

Dianne you have quite a lot of produce coming in there. Everything looks so healthy and quite neat in spite of not trying.
That is an interesting water trough terri, do you collect the rain water? Can you hook a hose up to it to save the walking or is that not allowed?
Guess it doesn't matter since you have BB there to help you carry the buckets!
We do remove some leaves those little suckers from the maters, we generally are gungho about it early in the season and then get a bit lax later on with keeping up with them.
Sue I will be curious as to how our broccoli does. It is getting quite tall and looks pretty healthy so we shall see. How thick do the stalks normally get?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6842198

Thanks, Sue and Candee. The swimming pool took up the prime sunny spot in the backyard, so my veg patch is quite small. But, now that there is only two in the house, that is enough to supply some basics.

Sue - I have always wanted to try growing some ginger root. Does it do well for you?
Candee - I get lax at the beginning of the season LoL...I always mean to remove the suckers early from the toms, but never got around to it this year. I am hoping the wiring will keep the tomatoes from laying on the soil.

Bok choy does not have a thickened root system so that mystery plant is something else. Did you throw any turnips away?

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 21, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6845082

Hi Candee, I was thinking of the store bought Brocolli, and I was actually a bit generous with my measurements! It was more like 15mm! I cut off the tops of about 6 of them, as it looked as though they might go to flower. Hopefully i will still get some more brocolli shoots from the leaf axis. I am making my soup right now, and it smells delicious., I put in some chillis (seeds removed) and a couple of leeks. The only things I've added that i didn't grow myself, is celery and peppercorns.
Dianne, the ginger grows here quite easily, but usually dies down for winter. There are still green shoots (old ones) so it obviously hasn't been as cold as in previous years. I have some galangal ginger grown from seed, and I think it is used in the same way for asian dishes? I love Thai food, and add coriander and kaffir lime leaves to most stir fries. Yummmm!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 21, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #6845083

Sad wasn't it?
This is my cauliflowers starting! Gawd, I hope they get bigger than THAT!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6846252

Hi Sue, good to hear you have some fresh veggies to eat! Nothing is happening on my Broccoli yet. Tony had some huge Broccoli and the stalks were very thick! He also grows his carrots in big pots and they have been long and straight !! Your cauli looks healthy, it will grow big in no time.
I didn't plant Bok choy Sue, but who know what was planted before me. lol.

I did have turnips last year Dianne, but the leaves on the root are not like the fresh turnip I have growing now.

Hi Candee, The water troughs fill up from a main supply, sometimes it's very slow if alot of people are watering at the same time. Hoses are not allowed, it would be so much easier if they were!
There were lots of weeds today, so I did a blitz removing the tomato suckers and lower leaves also!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009

Post #6846262

5 Courgettes have turned into marrows... !

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6846281

Marrows, courgettes and 2 cucumbers. I strange looking bean!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6846285

There's more cucumbers growing.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6846290

Scratched around and found a few new potatoes! and a couple of turnips!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6846294

Sweetcorn looking nice!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6846301

More lettuce...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6846309

Rudbeckia is finally flowering...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6846316

Coleus is flowering...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6846323

Godetia, think it likes growing in my lottie!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6846337

I picked all these flowers!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6846355

there's plenty of flowers left, it doesn't look bare!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6846371

The first Sunflower to open... it's number 6 no one has it so it's mine haha!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6846990

What a bountiful harvest - for both vegetables and flowers! Definitely got the green thumb, Terri.

The zinnia seeds that I planted last week has started to sprout. I hope that there is still enough time left for them to grow and bloom before the cold weather. Though after almost 100 degree days for the past whole week, cold weather is in the dark recesses of the mind right now.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6848616

Awesome girl!. so neat and tidy too!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 22, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6849577

Beautiful Terri, and the flowers are great! It looks so lovely there. Is it far from your house?
I can't wait to see your award!
Think its about to rain here. Good. I don't feel like doing anything.
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6852643

Sue, how was the soup, sounds yummy! I love fresh veggies in soup. Terri that is quite a haul of flowers you picked there and many more to come, you really have it together with that lottie this year.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 23, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6853927

Hi Candee, The soup is delish! I have enough left for my tea tonight. Bill said 'Not enough meat', so I didn't share any more of it with him! Here we are, half way through winter, and today was like a summers day! I had my jumper off by 8am! Strange weather we're having, but I'm not comnplaining about the warm sun. he he.
Sue
Terri, what have you done with those flowers you picked?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6855155

Glad you are enjoying mild weather, perhaps you better freeze the rest of the soup for a cold night!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 24, 2009
7:38 AM

Post #6858317

Yes, good idea Candee, tonight is corned silverside (sorry tez) scalloped potato and a salad. I haven't cooked like this for a couple of years!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #6870247

What is corned silverside? Sounds different, but likely something by another name? We are having my famous barbeque (sloppy joe) homemade from ground venison, yum!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6870279

Steve noticed a few taters popped outta the ground so we had all these red bees with a nice brown sugar glazed ham the other night.

Thumbnail by haighr

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6871211

yeah, what is a corned silverside? LOL!

Nice taters there haighr!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6871699

Thanks bb, hope to see a lot more of them in another few weeks.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6871719

Couldn't wait so I googled it BB it is another name for corned beef!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6872622

I was thinking it might be!! Wht other meat would you corn? LOL!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 28, 2009
5:42 AM

Post #6874300

silver side is a slightly different cut I think...
we have both available in NZ.
really nice done in the slow cooker!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 28, 2009
8:00 AM

Post #6874447

Where is terri! HELLO TERRI!!! ARE YOU THERE?
Yes, corned beef, I cook it with cloves, brown sugar, malt vinegar and an onion. Yummmm! We get a couple of meals out of it and also have some sliced on sandwiches. You do know what sandwiches are? he he.
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6874688

Terri's sister flowertips said on another thread that terri's puter is down so she will be away a bit.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6875170

Hi lottie ladies! Sorry was away, had no internet (long dispute going on) It may go again anytime!!
Thanks for all the lovely comments, I am really pleased with how it's turned out this year, so far!
My Mum used to make corned beef hash, some sort of mash potato and corned beef thing fried up yuk!! .lol.
Glad you are enjoying a cooking spree Sue, I think when you grow your own stuff, it makes you try harder to make something tastey with it!! I've been enjoying cooking more, recently..LOL!
Sandwiches Sue, you mean butties? lol.
I say the lottie is 25 minute walk, Keith says 10 minutes, take your pick...!! it seems like miles to get home when I've been there for hours!
Your potatoes look yummy Candee, love honey glazed veggies done in the oven, the courgettes were nice like that.
Here's what we picked last weekend...
New potatoes, onion, carrots,runner beans, cabbage,cucumber, turnip. Someone gave me the apricots from their plot!
Back later with a sunflower update.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6875904

Looks plentiful!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6876394

What a great harvest! So, what was that mystery plant that was sprouting awhile back?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6876824

Terri, that all looks splendid! Right now all I am getting is tomatoes. Will have green peppers in a few weeks. The taters are looking poor here. I think I have a stray zucinni! LOL! And the cantalopes and watermelon... hmmmm the weeds ate them!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6877722

Thanks Candee, we had some of the beans tonight, peppers and beef toms stuffed with rice, very nice lol.
OMG>>>> I completely forgot about the root... LOL. It's in a bucket by the shed, will have to see if it's still alive next time! I still don't know what it is, but someone said it might be spinach? I did have spinach before!
Thanks for reminding me about it Dianne.
Our tomatoes are not ready yet Blossom! I did see a couple of chilli's growing today and the peppers have flowers.
I can't wait for my first tomato lol. Are you making sauces or anything with yours?

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6877978

Sue, here's your sunflower, it has a bud!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6877988

Here's some that are flowering with no names spare numbers!.. just typical, guess they are mine then LOL!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6878051

Sue, you asked what I did with the last lot of flowers, .. here's a pair I made..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6878057

Howdy !

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6878095

I picked another bucket full today..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6878110

It was almost dark when we went home!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6878150

The runner beans are at the top and full of flowers, getting a good supply of beans now.
G'night mates!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6878444

Just one question mate, how big is that lottie??? you got enough harvest for a farmer!! LOL!!!

Nite nite!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 29, 2009
7:40 AM

Post #6878926

Great booty Terri! hehe, veges and flower arrangements. I was thinking it looked a little dark around my sunflower. You'd be walking home in the night then?
I planted some peas today, but am going away next week for 10 days. (going to Darwin at the top of Australia) My neighbour will come around and water for me once or twice. I'm still picking brocolli, and the cabbages are starting to fill out. When I get back, I'll really get stuck in and improve the soil and plant a bit more.
I can't wait to go away. Darwin is 32 degrees during the day and 18 degrees at the coldest (thats 65F lows and 90F highs) I am so looking forward to a warm break!
Anyway, gotto go put a log on the fire.
Take care all
Hugs
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6880276

Aren't you lucky to go and get some warm weather. How long a trip is that for you? Do you drive/fly?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6881647

G'day Sue, so you are going away, thats nice! Whats happening with the dogs, are they going too?
LOL! Annie and her boyfriend came to pick us up, so we got a lift home, they got fresh food in return haha!
There are no peas on my peas yet!! I sowed some dwarf french beans yesterday, hope they come up! We haven't had much sunshine lately.
10 days!!!!! thats ages, well have a lovely time, will miss you! What day are you going?

LoL Blossom, it is my farm!!

Cheers! I 'found' a couple of Begonias for us, well, they were in the communal garden, so they must be partly mine ?? lol!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 30, 2009
7:54 AM

Post #6883729

Terri, they can't possibly be Begonias! They are huge! Well, you've made them more communal than the lottie community will ever know, since you are showing them to the world! he he
We will be driving to Brisbane (5 hours) on the 6th and flying to Darwin from there, which I think takes about 3 hours? My friend that we're staying with has a computer, so i might be able to drop by and show some pics of the tropical festival at the botanic gardens.
No Tez, the dogs are staying home with the sitter! he he. I'm trying not to think about that, because nobody loves them like we do. (except when they try to dig up the peas to eat the fertiliser!)
Lucky Annie to get all that produce in exchange for a lift. Lucky you to not have to walk home in the dark!
So wheres your award Terri?
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6887201

Hi Sue, the Begonias are huge, they were hanging down sitting in the soil, come to think of it I rescued them... LOL.
Next time I'll take some pictures of the communal garden, there's lots of flowers and the Begonias are all different colours.
Hope you have a safe and pleasant journey, thats a long way!! that would be like me driving to Liverpool (if I could drive)!! then flying to Spain!!
The tropical festival at the botanic gardens sounds great! Hope you don't forget to show us some pics.

Ohhh Funny Lady!! there's nothing happening, no- one knows anything! no awards no news !! Getting fed up! by the time they annonce anything the lotties will be empty at this rate LOL!
I started another thread, a quick tour of all the plots. It's hard to see some of the 'goodies' people are growing, some are hidden with tall structures at the front.. I didn't like to go on their plots when they were not there!
Have a good day at the nursery, are you still working there on fridays?

This message was edited Jul 31, 2009 2:15 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6887216

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1017513/ Lottie tour.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 31, 2009
8:06 AM

Post #6888331

Hi Tez, yes, still at the nursery. Its not a bad job as long as its only one day a week.
I'll go over and have a look at your new thread in a minute.
Bill has been away since Wednesday, and not due home till Sunday, so i am having an uncomplicated few days! he he. I even get to hold the remote! Hes motorcycle racing again, and I think I told you, I'm not that interested because there are no plants. He gets to catch up with all his Sydney mates and his daughters. I don't really like the drive (7 hours each way) and I want to get things organised around here before we take off, so to speak.
Some old friends of ours moved into the area last week, so i am going to visit them tomorrow for breakfast and to help them with their garage sale. There is also a timber festival on, so I'll have a look at that, even though I don't really know what it will be about. I'm hoping there will be the country market on too.
Alright, I'll skip over to the lotties for a look.
Hugs
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6888758

Hi Sue, It's nice to get control of the remote once in a while isn't it? LOL! Although there isn't anything on the tv worth watching in the summer, do you have sky?
Enjoy your uncomplicated days while you can, chillax!!
The timber festival sounds interesting, I wonder if they make garden features??
Good luck with the garage sale, hope they sell the lot!

I'm going to the lottie early today!! the last lot of pictures were too dark lol, besides I want to see if the Morning Glory is open!! The sun is out so I'd better make a dash for it!
Keep warm down under mate, Hugs to you!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 1, 2009
6:28 AM

Post #6892860

Thanks Tez, I know what Sky is, but we don't have it. Not enough time for TV really. I hired some movies on Tuesday, for a week, and still haven't watched them! I also borrowed a couple from my friends today, but at least I have longer to watch them.
Breakfast was great, the weather was great, the Garage sale was great, and the markets WERE on, AND, i got a bromeliad, so the day was a roaring success! I am about to build the fire and settle in for the evening, and i guess, watch a movie. he he.
I go to bed early these days, I can tell you!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6893410

Hi Sue, I go to bed late these days, I can tell you!! lol.
Nice it was all great!! Another Bromelaid?? how many have you got now I wonder?? including babies or pups whatever you call them !! It must be wonderful having such a large collection at Brom Palace.

I found a couple of Morning Glory.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2009 9:08 PM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6893431

The den is a complete hideout now LOL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6893445

What den??

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6893453

The Asters are flowering.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6893465

I took out a row of onions and sowed some more carrots.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6893471

Picked some beans..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6893486

Koli growing, someone gave them to me. I don't know how to cook it!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6893490

I got some more bark chippings and put them on the long path. It's much more comfortable to walk down the path now, it was so uneven! And I no longer need to sweep the path.. lol

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6893501

More cucumbers!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6893515

Chilli's !! I wasn't sure if they were chillis or peppers until now, the plants look the same to me!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6893523

Sweetcorn is getting big..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6893546

Number 22 is looking nice!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6893554

AWWWWESOME terri! You do so much on your lil farm!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6893586

The sweet peas are at the top of the wigwam and smell great up this end.
Have a good weekend!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6893617

Howdy Blossom!! Thank you,, I enjoy it so much... it's my escape from the house... lol
Have you got a courgette yet? Mine have slowed down completely, since a few went to marrows.. lol. there are more flowers now though. I keep checking my tomatoes and took more leaves off, but they are still greenies!!
Yellow Begonia in one of the herb boxes.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2009 3:54 PM

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6895100

Oh that yellow is gorgeous!! No courgettes yet.. still looking... Will go check it now!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6895473

Terri - you can just cook the kohlrabi like a turnip. I just cut them up and stir fry them - as I do most of my vegetables. they are fall crops here so I need to sow some in late summer. Only problem is that my summer crops are still in place and I don't have much room. That's probably the reason I haven't grown any in a few years. I'll have to come back with a few photos from my garden - finally getting some produce!!!! Yay!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6895680

My first tomatoes to ripen up - Ace variety

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6895688

this bunch is not going to be far behind. I planted about 6 of these plants with the idea of canning some later in the season.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6895693

these are some cherry tomatoes that self seeded from last years bunch - most likely from the cherry tomatoes that were overripe and I just tossed them back onto the ground

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6895705

my first baby cucumber last week

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6895711

same cucumber ready to be picked today.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6895722

bell pepper in the center is almost ready to be picked. I have some that people have given me already, so I will wait until next week to pick mine.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 2, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6895849

Hi Dianne, your tomatoes look mouth watering.. yum!! Ace looks like a good variety, you'll have to tell us what they taste like. I didn't sow any cherry's, wish I had now looking at those! Your cucumber looks great too, seems much lighter than mine? Probably that Californian sunshine!!! or a different variety! Peppers look very healthy!
It's made my day seeing your veggies, Thank you for sharing them! It's really nice to see how everyones veggies are growing.
Thanks for the cooking instructions and propa name Kohlrabi... see how I shorten names? I knew it was something like that..lol!
They don't seem very big, could you grow them in containers ?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 2, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6895883

Hi Blossom, sorry missed you there! Thank you, it is a lovely yellow one, I have a red one also, hope there's a white!
I haven't got a close up but you can see the red one shouting look at me... lol!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6899458

Between the veggies and the posies you all have a bountiful display! Let's see some of it on the table or pickles in the jars or someting!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6899676

Well, my peppers are not ready yet... but if ya want fresh, I suppose they are pickable then!. I want stuffers! Ya know those big bell peppers ya stuff with burger and rice and put mater sauce on!! YUM!

Or how about those peppers you can freeze and put on things like pizza or put in sauces later! You just chop them up and freeze then FRESH!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2009 7:31 PM

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6900457

Welcome back from your cabin, Candee.
Terri - the cucumbers I have are Armenian cucumbers and they do have a lighter skin, and a less tough skin than the regular cucumbers (are they called English cucumbers? I vaguely remember that)
BB - I have not considered chopping and freezing bell peppers - will have to remember that. Thanks for the suggestion!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #6900558

Soils, I will usually freeze my fresh green peppers, onions and mushrooms. Each can be chopped and I put them in small sandwhich size baggies to make servings for like pizzas, spagetti sauces etc!

On the bell peppers you can freeze them hole, just remember to cut the top off and scoop the seeds out which also you can save for planting later. I put the seeds on a papertowel and let them dry out thoroughy then store them.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6900974

BB we chop and freeze our peppers as well, but find they are a bit soggy if we let them defrost before using. Mostly we just run cold water over them and pop them in the pot but they aren't as crispy as fresh? Any suggestions ?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6902386

Our very first baby broccoli LOL!

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 4, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6903831

Dianne, thats interesting about the American cucumbers being lighter, I didn't know that! I have been peeling the skins off, they are a bit tough..lol. I'm still happy to be eating my own.

Candee, your Broccoli picture is brilliant! Thanks for showing us an update, it has really grown and looks promising!!
I haven't tried freezing peppers, migtht try it this year if any grow! Yours look great Blossom, Thanks for the pic.

Sue, Have you packed yet?

As you wish Candee, on the Table, fresh ... PIZZA! or runner beans and sunflower petals.
They have been sliced, blanched and now stashed away in the freezer!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #6904783

Terri - that's Armenian cucumbers, not American LoL. I don't know the scientific name of it, maybe Cucumis melo - it is actually a type of melon rather than a cucumber - and they advertise it as a "burpless" cucumber. I like it a lot.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6905362

Well that looks too good to eat terri, but I will anyway lol!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 4, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6905735

LOL!!!!! Dianne, maybe I need specs now too! BURP less ! hahaha!

Thank you Candee!

Hope you have a great holiday Sue! just incase we don't hear from you before you go!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 5, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6909689

Hi ladies, sorry to be a bit tardy with a reply. I am packed and almost ready to go! Loving the garden, veges and the arrangements! Hopefully I will get a chance to drop in while i am away, else i will have withdrawals! Happy Gardening.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6909733

No worries Sue! Have a great time, we'll miss you! Hugs!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6909967

Have a great time and soak up the sun, we shall hold down the fort until your return!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
6:53 AM

Post #6913208

Have a great trip Sue.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6914047

Have a cool and lovely trip Sue!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 6, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6915820

Bye Sue! are you there yet Sue????? lol
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6928329

Hope you are having a sunny time Sue!
Number 16 .. Yay!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6928339

Dianne, number 15 has huge leaves!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6928368

Look who I found playing around on the sunflower patch, it's Pippi!!!

These 3 are the tallest so far, Pippi climbed all the way up sunflower 18, but stopped to have a chat with Sue on the way. 21 in the middle and number 20 Blossom, reaching for the sky!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6928403

Pippi's having great fun. Here she is climbing up sunflower Blossom! with Flowertips keeping an eye on her!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6928419

Number 4 Flowertips.. Yay.. I couldn't reach to put the tag any higher!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6930605

They are getting enormous, better bring the biggest one over to the "giants in the garden" thread!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6932432

terri, they look stupendous. I took pics of my plot today and they are moisture starrved. Poor things are withering up!

Hey, does anyone do grapes??
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6933702

Well the worms got to our broccoli even though it has been covered, oh well, guess it will be back to the grocery!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6934633

Well, I am on my knees with the Maker, just a praying for rain. They keep saying, its gonna, but so far its been idle talk.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6984877

Remember those goofy gourds from last fall that I bought? Well I managed to save the seed from one of them before it was completely rotten and voila, I got funky gourds in the veggie lot this year.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009

Post #6984881

And there are 2

Thumbnail by haighr

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6986145

THOSE are AWWWESOME! Gourd and pumpkin contest anyone???
I nominate haighr to be in charge!!

We finally got a lil rain, but could use more. I hauled in 30 some odd lbs of maters yesterday.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 21, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7192054

Hi Sue! and everyone!
LOVE the funky gourds Candee.

Just popped in to tell you I found out a couple of days ago that ...

I won best plot !!!!!!!!!! yippy and Thank you all for your help.

I'm still in Liverpool, goodness knows what a mess my plot will be in now... Teehee!!!
I'll fill my trophy up with something and share it with you when I get home.

I guess you are busy with spring planting Sue? I'll be looking forward to your sunny pictures this winter for sure!!
Take care everyone,
Terri
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7192116

Hi terri!

Welcome back!

Congrats on your trophy!

Time to be planning next year already!

I have been busy down at the GPS6 marking the 2010 calender for my planting dates and trying to find links for the plants I hope to be doing. C'mon down and set a spell! Things are sure to change, but we are giving it a go!

Right about now I have about finished also putting my veggie patch to sleep fro the winter. Still have lots to doo, but it never ends!

Well, dear, see you again soon!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 21, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7192398

well done Terri!
I was so inspired by your lovely vegies that I asked hubby to get me a kit set raised bed for my birthday.
Well that was September & I still don't have one...
I will have to make do with the space I have got.
I do have young tomato plants waiting for the frost danger to be over so they can go into the garden with the herbs.
Should be next week after I get back from a quick visit to the in-laws on the Gold Coast.
There was a study published recently that said human urine was a good fertilizer for tomatoes.
Not sure I am that keen!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #7192521

Congratulations Terri!!! I always knew you had the best plot.

Not sure I would go that far either, Teresa. I'll stick with compost and coffee grounds LoL.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #7192852

We knew it was your year for the trophy!!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 22, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7195471

Hi Tez and all! I knew it! How could you not get a first place?
We're not having a spring this year! Its hot during the day, cold during the night, and we haven't had any good rain for 3 months! I still put things in the vege garden though, but alot bolts to seed, such as brocolli, cauli, lettuce. The cucumbers are just starting to fruit, and the tomatoes are getting taller, as is the corn. The beetroot and carrots didn't germinate at all, but the butter beans and climber beans are taking off!
Theresa, surely you pee on your Lemon tree? Like Bert...Bert Munroe!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 22, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7195500

Thanks all!

Have a nice visit to the Gold Coast Teresa and Happy planting when you get back! I Look forward to seeing your veggies going in, raised beds or not!

Has anyone got anything still growing? I wonder if my sprouts are ready yet?... LoL! I don't think hubby has been to the lottie very often from what I can gather!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 26, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #7208153

Hi Sue! Thank you mate!
Glad you have veggies and they are growing well, sounds like you'll be eating your beans in no time, yum with butter!!!
Are you keeping busy with your gardening jobs and nursery work?
I'm still in Formby and this computer is rubbish!!! so slow, dial up and it drives me mad LoL!!

Take care, Hi to Bill!!! tell him we beat the Mancs today, he'll know what I mean.
Keep posting sunny pictures!
Terri
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 26, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #7211673

back from the Gold Coast to a wet & wild southerly...
so won't be planting anything today.
My tomatoes are safe in their 'greenhouse'.
The lettuces have just grown huge in 4 days - we could have several feeds from them.
Shame it is not salad weather!
I have never seen or smelled gardenia before - now I know why people rave about it.
My in-laws have several good sized bushes in their garden, heavenly to sit outside on the terrace with the scent wafting across the yard on a gentle breeze.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #7212471

Their bush looks like my bush - as tall as the fence line. I love my bush too.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 27, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #7212585

that looks a nice rose beside your gardenia.
my roses are covered in buds but are a wee way off flowering yet.
This is the latest bloom on my dwarf clematis

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 27, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #7212595

one of my thymes is flowering, not sure which variety.
So far the rest have stayed in check.
I did give one lot of common thyme a good haircut a few weeks ago to stop it flowering.
I am hoping the flush of new growth will be put to good use in cooking.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #7213067

You lucky dogs with your gardenias, the scent is wafting eastward as we speak!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America