Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hydrangeas: hydrangeas dried out during vacation

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 2, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
edhjennifer
El Dorado Hills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6540864

I bought 4 hydrangeas before I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and got back last night- Three of the plants dried out because they were watered very little while I was gone. One of the hydrangeas is a Nikko Blue and the other 2 are Hobella hydrangeas. I watered them and it looks like one Hobella is doing a lot better. The other 2 plants haven't perked up one bit (leaves are drooping and dry). Does anyone know if I should just cut the leaves and stems down? They are still in the pots that I bought them in. I'd appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6619644

De-hydrangeas! I would cut them back, keep them moist and shaded and hope for the best.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6620996

If the root ball has dried up, you may want to (1) put a slow dripping hose for an hour on top of the root ball or (2) extract the plant and dump it in water for a while. Not too long though since the roots need some water. Root balls tend to repel water some times when they have dried out, which is why the slow drip method helps.

The leaves will not respond very well when the lack of moisture went on for quite a while. You may have to wait and see if new leaves come out while these remain ugly looking. Just mulch well and maintain the soil moist as best as you can. Use the finger method often: insert a finger to a depth of 4" and water only when the soil feels almost dry or dry. Do not fertilize during this stressfultime but use some weak fertilizers instead like liquid seaweed, liquid fish or coffee grounds. I have one plant in similar conditions too. Due to work being done around the house, I had to remove from its location for a couple of weeks. It has been replanted into its original spot since but it sure is letting me know that is was not happy about transplanting. I monitor the soil often since temps are getting warm over here now but I suspect this one plant may still not make it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America