Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fuchsias: Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!?

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 134, Views: 915
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6543418

Hi Everyone! I have a collection of 60 upright hardy fuchsia's and plan on adding to that collection today! I can't even find photos of 6 of the last 10 I bought. So I am anxiously waiting for them to grow big enough to bloom.
I am hoping that if enough of us are interested in sharing our adventures with fuchsia's, that DavesGarden will give us our own forum ;-)
What do you think?
Here is a photo of one of my favorites, Delta's Parade, this guy blooms year round here in zone 9b. That is one just one of the things I love about fuchsia's, the local hummingbirds and I have color year round!
And this photo illustrates another thing I love about fuchsia's, and that is how the colors change as the flower opens.
Let's get a forum going here :-D

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6544770

I would love to see a fuchsia forum. I have started about three years ago or so using them as garden plants rather than just in the hanging planters, and have started adding several different hardy varieties as well. It is nice to have the color later in the season when a lot of plants are past their prime.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6545086

60 hardy fuchsias. That's a lot!!

Here's a link to the NW Fuchsia Society: http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/

And a link to Delta's Parade for sale in Dave's:

http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/6613/

Hmmmmm, I might have to take a look at that.

Kathy
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6545500

I'd be interested. I'd like to know if any are hardy to zone 7. At a nursery today, I saw one - it said hardy to zone 6, but I'm not convinced. Anybody know anything about this, please?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #6546421

Hi Jan23, yes they can be! Especially the uprights when they are planted deep in the ground. I was just telling someone in the Shady Garden forum about them. Just last week I proved to a friend of mine that his fuchsia was not dead from the harsh winter in his area. Everything above ground was toast. But he already had a foot of new growth he hadn't seen because of all the leather ferns surrounding the base.
The secret is to make sure you have nodes on stems buried deep, so that they can produce new shoots in the spring. And put a nice thick layer of mulch around the base of the bush. I am working on a website right now, when it is done, you will see what I consider to be the best example of how big a fuchsia can get in just one year. It is huge and last year it was just a cutting I got from a friend's garden.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #6546428

Rarejem, I agree, they make great landscaping plants. I am even experimenting with Magellanica as a hedge! It has such nice dense growth when it is clipped. Each variety has it's own growth pattern and it is interesting to see what shape they take on.
When I asked DavesGarden about a fuchsia forum, they said it was up to all of us to express enough interest in one.
I am looking forward to seeing photos of everyones fuchsia's!!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #6546449

Thanks Kathy! I had the Northwest Fuchsia Society in my favorites and forgot about them when I was trying to find photos of the new starts I bought this Sunday. I had been looking at European sites to find examples. So I just got to see a photo of Voltaire! Now I have to go back and see if I can find the others, what fun!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #6546490

Thank YOU PC, for re-igniting interest in these guys. My biggest frustration with fuchsias is overwintering them, so I'll be interesting in everything I can hear about how to make that easier/work.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6547483

Jan, I am zone 7 and have never lost a hardy fuschia. As a matter of fact, even this last rotten winter which did in several of my cistus and was terror on my roses, I not only have all of my hardies coming back, but several of the annual ones I planted as well. I will say that I don't expect new growth from any of last year's stems, which I do get on a regular basis when the winter is mild, but once they are established, fuschias grow very quickly. And they are a lovely landscape plant as they come in so many different forms.

This is what is left of my Dark Eyes annual fuschia from last year's growth.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6547488

And this is the happy little plant at the bottom.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6547497

Hi Kathy, While I was checking out the Northwest Fuchsia Society website, I noticed they have an excellent illustration of how to plant hardy fuchsia's to ensure their survival for the winter. Mine have survived freezes that killed my lantana's, hybiscus, and my hydrangea's! Most of my specimens are in 15 gallon containers so I can move them all close together for the winter. At which time I also pack a thick layer of hay/alphalfa/mulch around and inbetween them. For everyone in the ground, I pile up about a foot of the same type of material all around their base.
Here is the one I keep right outside my front door this time of year. The Duchess of Albany. You should see the whole bush, it is just stunning!!

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6547504

And this is my annual Golden Anniversary, which I was dredfully afraid that I had killed as I moved it this spring before our second cold snap...it had gotten way too tall for where it was in the garden. Might not be quite so tall this year, but it's definitely going to put on a show.

And keep in mind, these are not my hardies, but the ones that Fred Meyer's sells for 50 cents a piece at their fuschia sale.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6547527

Thanks Rarejem! Now people can see for themselves that fuchsia's can and will come back up after everything above ground freezes! I will be looking forward to photos of them when they are blooming again :-)
I have also posted on the California forum, ha, ha, you would think there would be allot of people down here interested in fuchsia's, but I haven't gotten a responce yet...
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6547528

PC, I can just imagine how beautiful your collection must be! I am still amazed at the variety of shapes and colors that are available. I have only one variety that is a full fledged "bush" yet, but am anxiously awaiting my others growing up. Do most hardy varieties spread easily? My one large kid has given me several starts to spread around my pond, and I have gotten starts of a couple of other hardies from friends, so I was wondering if that is and individual cultivar trait or if it is common among most of them.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6547574

Me too! And just think, there are at least 1,000 varieties of named fuchsia's! Although I am not interested in hanging baskets, as those can't live long in those little containers.
To answer your question though, different varieties vary greatly in how easily they will root from cuttings. The hardier fuchsia's tend to root easier and faster. While with some, you are lucky if half of them survive.
One of my personal tricks to give cuttings in general (not just fuchsia's) a boost, is to mist them well and then keep them for 24 hours in a clear container. I buy the cheap $1 clear plastic shoe boxes from a dollar store and use those. If I can't plant the cuttings within 24 hours, I open the box at least twice a day to give them fresh air and quick new misting. This gets them starting on producing root buds before they get planted into the planting mix.
And yes, when hardy fuchsia's are planted deep with buried branches, they will spread and throw out new shoots you can dig up and relocate!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6548662

Dark Eyes has always been my favorite. I am definitely going to try this out this year. Thank you!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6548791

Well, I'll have to go back and get one. The thing is, if I understand correctly, is that I will be practically burying the whole thing. I think they were in gal. pots. So, this year I'll just have the ends of the branches sticking up.

I just remember coming to Tacoma when I was 9 with my grandmother and one of her relatives had a beautiful fuschia outside her door. I remember that and that I thought the relative was mean. Oh, and going up to Mt. Rainier in the middle of summer in shorts and a sleeveless shirt and playing in the snow.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6549955

Hi PC! I would love to see a forum! I have a rather small collection of hardy fuchsias and are always looking for new varieties.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #6550807

Hi Jan23, Even though you will be burying the stems of the base of the bush, those stems with nodes are also going to put out new roots, and your bush is going to take off and grow big fast. That is, depending on the variety. I have one huge bush that was just a cutting last year. And others that are only a third that size and were one gallon plants last year. Hopefully you will make new a better memories with your fuchsia's!!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6550811

Hi Azorina, great to see another join us! Once there are a good number of us, we can start a new thread in Daves Garden forum and ask for our own ;-) Your in zone 8a, you ought to be able to grow a good number of varieties. What are you growing so far?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6565062

Hey, where are all of the fuchsia's out there? We on the Pacific Northwest have the perfect climate for fuchsia's! Some friends of mine went to England last fall and said there were fuchsia's everywhere, they are really big on fuchsia's in Europe. You should see some of their websites on them!
Show us your fuchsia's here!
Here is a photo of Voodoo out in my backyard. This guy is out in the full on sun all day long and is in bloom almost all year round in zone 9. He isn't even in the ground, he is in a large container, but he has survived freezes that killed many of the other types of bushes in my yard.
My backyard is down below my kitchen, so I look down into my fuchsia garden while I am making coffee in the morning. What a nice way to start the day.

Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6568527

I just have a few hardy fuschias; 3 varieies of F. magellancia, Army Nurse, Double Otto, Santa Claus, Exoniensis, Lady Boothby, Chillerton Beauty, Display, and Versicolor. I have purchased two at a private plant sale labled "tree fuschia" both of which have become about 7 feet tall and flower earlier and any of the others. Of course my record keeping is lacking there may be some I have missed.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6568603

Hi Azorina, do you have any photos of them? Isn't the number of varieties just wonderful? Except for Magellanica, I don't have a single one of your varieties! I went to a website just the other day, to see what they had to offer, and to see if they had any of mine. They had allot, but only 10 of the ones I do. So I hope to be increasing my collection soon. And it is really so hard to decide just from descriptions and even the photos, when it is only the flowers and not the form the bush takes that is being shown. Like who would know, just by looking at a photo of Waltz Gigolo, that it grows into one of the large bushes, but is also compact with a dense covering of smaller than usual leaves. I'll post a photo as soon as it starts to bloom more. Since I use my collection as stock plants, they get cut allot.
Your "tree fuchsia's" intrigue me. There was one fuchsia I gave up on a few years back because it just kept growing and growing and growing, but never produced a single flower! It was taking up so much room and had nothing to show for it. Maybe it just needed time to grow up high enough and be of a certain age before it produced. Now I am wondering what it would have looked like...
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6570720

The tree fuschias intrigue me as well. They both seem to resemble Magellanicas in flower. One is very pale whitish pink and the other has red sepal and purple carrolla. I will get pics as soon as they start blooming. Both are planted in shade with only 3-4 hours of sun. I will get pictures as soon as they are bloomig. (I talked to a member of our local Fuschia Sociaty and she was kidding with me saying in So. America they use this plant for firewood.)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6570763

Ha, ha, maybe she wasn't kidding! Since that is where fuchsia's come from ;-)
I know I could use the wood from my old Magellanica for kindling if I had to cut that much of it down again. I have had to cut some big branches off because it really would take up way too much room if I didn't. It is out in the full sun almost all day long and gets too big for it's own good. That was the first thing I planted when I moved here 10 years ago and my entire front and back yards were just bare clay slopes. Now, over 500 bags of composted steer manure later, it is a lush garden. But the Magellanica never got the soil under it worked down deep. So it has a limited root system. I'll be looking forward to your photos. I am about to ask a neighbor down the street if they will be willing to trade a one gallon Voodoo for some cuttings of a beatiful fuchsia they have had in their yard growing next to a chain link fence out in the full sun all day long for years now. I keep trying to find something like it in the local nurseries, but haven't been able to. Hmm, I should also take a photo of it!
That could be something a fuchsia forum would be really good for!! Helping all of us identify our mystery fuchsia's. I would love to have the time to just sit and make a list of all the known named varieties. And then feed them all in here as we gather photos of them all. Okay, I am dreaming...back to work here!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6571502

Hi PC, I have two of the old regular hardy fuchsias. One is in the shade and one is in the sun all day against a brick wall, and the sunny one does the best. The shady one died back this winter but the sunny one is all coming back except the ends. I also have a miniature hardy. The flowers are about 1/2 inch long. I lost the one in the small pot but the bigger pot came back from the roots. When I pruned it last fall I stuck several branches in the dirt and now have five coming up. They are only about an inch tall but growing like crazy.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6571658

Hi Willowwind2,
That is the kind of story we need more of here!
I especially love the fact that the one out in the sun is doing better than the one in the shade. Pedricks Corner has it's heart set on redirecting the gardeners mindset on fuchsia's as being, number one, just hanging baskets, and number two, needing to be in the shade!!!
And I often stuff broken branches right down into the pots when I am in a hurry and accidently break one. If it is a good size twig, the deeper you shove it down, the bigger and healthier the new plant that comes up will be!
I will be looking forward to you sharing photos of them when they are in bloom!
I hope everyone won't mind if I occasionally repeat myself. In my efforts to drum up interest in a Fuchsia forum, I am working on threads in three forums now. Hopefully it won't be long before we are all talking in the same forum ;-)
Here is a photo I took the other day of a row of my specimens that are all out in the full sun! The biggest one you see is the Duchess of Albany again.

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6571807

PC I wish I had pics of my fushias to share from last year as that was the first year that they had really "come into their own". Unfortunately, it was a bad year for me, so photos were few and far between. Will have plenty to show this season though, and am really looking forward to seeing pics from others.

I have Azorina to blame for my first attempts at more than just my "old standard hardy fuchsia". She shared a couple of hers with my Mom, and I loved them. Then I got to see some of hers blooming in her yard, and I was hooked. I went crazy the following year at Fred Meyer's fuchsia sale, and bought a bunch of the little 50 cent ones just to use as annual accents. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that quite a few were still alive the following spring! In the meantime, I had picked up a couple of new hardies from the flower show, and just loved them.

One thing that I think a fuchsia forum would be great for would be as a resource for discovering new varieties that you like, and also finding a source to acquire them. You don't see very many available in the nurserys and garden centers that I frequent.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6571960

I think this is a picture of the mini. Sorry wrong picture.

This message was edited May 19, 2009 5:00 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6571967

Well here's a shot of the sunny one.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6571993

This one shows it's location better.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #6573322

I agree Rarejem! We don't have any "Fred Meyers" where I live. Wow, 50 cent starts? Did they have name tags? Were there allot of varieties? Sometimes large nurseries will produe allot of a few varieties and then dump them on the market rather than move them up to larger containers. But they usually aren't the named varieties, they are usually generics. Like the one I named Abby Rose after my niece, ha, ha! I bought it years ago at Home Depot and it was a generic "Upright Fuchsia," no other name... And it was cheap.
Now, I wish I knew the name of the fuchsia in Willowwind2's post. That is the kind of little beauty I love the most!
Yes, we need a forum to help each other identify these, don't we!!? ;-D
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6573327

Hi Willowwind2, I love that fuchsia of yours! Like I mention above, this is one of the reasons we need a forum. So we can help each other identify our varieties which either came to us un-named, or we got a while back and lost the tags...;-)
And like Rarejem mentioned, so we can see varieties here that we might be interested in. I am certainly interested the one in your photo. I plan on getting some new varieties soon and will be on the look out for this one!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #6573408

PC, The starts at Fred Meyer were tiny, but all were named. Almost all were the annual varieties designed for baskets, so that was the market that they were aimed at. They did have some uprights as well, but you really had to hunt for them.

I picked up two other hardies at a nursery a week and a half ago that I am very excited add to the garden. Added Dan's Brother and Hollydale. Hope I have pics this summer!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6574429

Hi Rarejem, I also hope that as we all increase our collections, that we also check to see if what we've added also needs to be added to the Plant Files here at DavesGarden. They have a good start here. But at least 3/4 of the varieties available are still missing. My friend is coming over again today with his camera. Which is much, much better than mine. To take more photos! And I am off to see if I can get a few more uprights for my collection...I'll let everyone know what I find ;-)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6583109

I found one of the upright fuchsia's I have been looking for, Sundial!! It is a stunning double with both the sepals and corolla being red orange! I traded 15 one gallon Jerusalem Artichokes and got 14 more varieties for my collection :-)
I have found photos of most of them, but still have no idea what Iced Champagne, Scarlet O'Hara, and Seaforth are going to look like. I also didn't find a photo of White Gem, but I am assuming it will be a small white flower. I brought a want list of 80 varieties with me and found seven that were on the list, ha, ha! Like Minnesota, Hayward, Alice Kling, Billie Green, Coachman, and Hermiena. I really like the ones that have orange tones. Coachman will be one of those!
I wonder if there is a way to print out a list of all the fuchsia's currently listed here at DavesGarden...hmmmm, I am going to go check that out.
Fuchsia lovers unite!! Post your photos here!
Here is one of my all time old favorites and hardy named Vinegar Joe!

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6583311

Sorry, no pictures from here.
To update you on the hardy fuschia I was going to get. I went back there and couldn't find them. Things were moved around and the 'girls' working there had no idea. anyway, I did see a few pots of what looked like fuschia to me. They had no idea and there weren't any tags. These were smaller than what I had seen before. The leaves are dark green and the midrib is even darker almost purplish. There is one set of small buds so far. These are in 4" pots or smaller. I missed out before,so I figured I better get this. Anyway, it is in the ground. I will keep you updated on its progress.
Vinegar Joe is very delicate looking.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6584668

No way! Vinegar Joe is a tough old bird! He's been around for decades and gets big. And he is covered with those delicate little flowers. Makes you wonder about the person who names him, doesn't it!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6584678

I would love to have a list of hardy fuchsias.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6584981

I meant the flowers looked delicate. ^_^
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6587786

Hi Jan23 Yes, they do, don't they?
Hi Willowwind2 I am working on a list from various sources. As soon as I get my website up, I could give you a link and it will have the list. Or I could D-mail you the list. Just send me an D-mail here. It is a very long list and would take up allot of room here. I have got to get that website up and going. It is a major priority right now, so it might be a while before I can finish that list and get to you ;-)
But once the website on-line, hopefull I will be able to relax a bit and work on that list like I want to. Plus work on the list of fuchsia's here in Plant Files!
Meanwhile, I would be happy to send you the list I have so far.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6587926

I'm in no hurry on the list, it will just be neat to get it when it's ready. Thanks
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6593591

OK, so my hardy fuschias are only a few inches tall after the hard winter (for us) that we had this past year. It will be quite a while before I can share any pictures but will be most willing when the time comes.
By the way, for those who don't already know, I am the "mom" Rarejem refers to.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6596199

Hi Rarejem's Mom :-D Glad to see another join us here!
How long does it usually take them to start blooming again? What varieties are they? I am hard at work on a big list of all upright hardies, so far it is over 500!! My friends Garenmeister that froze to the ground this winter is already over a foot tall, so I will be wondering how yours are doing as well.
The Northwest Fuchsia Society also lists the heights their fuchsia's get to. But I think allot depends on the conditions and the age of the plant, as many of mine get much taller than what their list has. It must depend on how much damage they sustain during the winter.
Do you mulch yours for the winter?

http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6598379

Do not mulch. Have adopted the philosophy long ago that, if it doesn't make it on its own, it doesn't belong in my yard. A few exceptions, of course, including the hardy banana and palms that Azorina has gifted. And, of course, lots of my potted stuff winters in the two greenhouses I have. I will take time later to document names as the tags are only in the yard. The major one I have is the "common" one that is quite prevalent in this area. I have tried to move it from its original location several times but only get new plants and the old one still comes back. The new ones are in several locations in Rarejem's and my yards.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6599978

Ha, ha! Well perhaps I will be able to inspire you to change your mind about a few of the upright hardy fuchsia's! Maybe you will see one worth a layer of mulch for the winter along with the hardy banana. Wow, it must really be hardy! I have seen people try and grow banana's down here and they are gorgeous until a really bad freeze. And then it is just so sad to see so much damage... otherwise I'd be tempted to try one myself. The most tropical plant I have are Kahili Gingers from India. Even if they freeze to the ground, they always come back up and bloom by summer time. Then they scent the whole yard :-)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2009 3:49 PM
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6612488

My "Fuschia tree" is budding out and blooms will probably open any day. This has always been the first and blooms a lot sooner around here then any others I have. Growth begins at the top. All my others are only about 4-6" high at this time and growth starts ground level. I will post a pic as soon as they open.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6613648

This is the view out my back door as of yesterday. Magellanica is the biggest one. Larry is to the right. Black Prince is in between it and Voodoo to the left. I love to stand and stare out the back window here while I drink my morning coffee.

I do so hope that we will all be able to encourage more fuchsia gardeners to come and share their experiences and photos with us :-)

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6614028

PC, That is a stunning view! Unfortunately, like Azorina said, it will be a while until people in our neck of the woods can start sharing photos! When we can, however, it should be motivating for those who don't grow these beauties yet to add at least a few.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6615821

good chuckle: "Black Prince, VooDoo, and...Larry". (Where's Bob?)

I have mulched & lost despite my efforts.
But, last year - no mulch & all is good. Cannot explain this anomaly...

I wish there was a better selection of hardy Fuchsias here - very limited supply.
I share Sharon's philosophy about hardiness - if a plant cannot make it without extra measures, I probably won't grow it.
Our winters are wet & cold, but lacking insulation from any measurable snow accumulations. So, hardiness is dicey. My soil is well-amended, but I have lost plants due to the Freeze-Thaw phenomenon, particularly this past winter.
If Fuchsias were amenable to pot culture, that would make it easier. For example, I lost many zone 7 plants, but I have Z9's that survived. The Z9 plants were all in containers except for a couple. Weird...
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6616013

http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/

Hi Katye, have you seen this cool site? There are all kinds of upright hardy fuchsia's! I am compiling a list, and so far I have almost 500!! They show you have to plant them so they will winter over.
And even though I am in Zone 9b, we occasionally have winters where everything freezes solid and we sometimes get snow. If you go up to my post #6571658, you'll see a photo of my specimens in pots :-)
In the photo of Larry, and his friends, you can't see it, but Larry is in a 15 gallon pot and so is Voodoo. I just pile up leaves and the mulch I create from composting pulled weeds, all around them for the winter. Plus, I move them all together.
There are internet sources for many upright fuchsia's now. I am fortunate to live near a large nursery with an extensive collection.
For me, a little effort for these beauties is worth it. Plus, the berries are edible. I just had a handfull of Black Prince berries. So far, the best tasting ones have come from Lycioides. One of the reasons why I am collecting so many varieties, 75 now, is I am searching for the best tasting berry...But don't tell anyone...
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6619371

That's interesting. Didn't know they were edible.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6622753

Yes, the everyone will tell you to pull off the green berries before they ripen, to spur the plant to produce more flowers instead. But my bushes have never been adversely affected by allowing the berries to ripen. They are almost always blooming. Yeah, in South American fruit markets, you can buy fuchsia berries to eat. That is where fuchsia' are from! Last night, my nephew was looking into this fact and discovered there is a species growing in New Zealand now that the native people enjoy eating. Long ago, I even heard of them being made into jam!!
The flowers are also edible, but I don't know if they taste good, haven't tried one yet ;-)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6623141

My hardy is just beginning to have buds. With the warn weather we are having they will probably be open in a couple days. Every plant is just bursting out.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6627621

I'll be looking forward to seeing what it turns out to be! The berries from the Lycioides were about the size of small blueberries, but with very dark skins. So far, it seems like the smaller the berry, the better the taste. I need to get to work on an ariticle on fuchsia's for my website! Ha, ha, maybe I should see if I can find a recipe for making jam out of them :-)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6629255

There you go. Can you describe the taste?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6631605

Ha, ha, they taste like fuchsia berries! I have been eating them since I was a kid. Have you ever had a raw blueberry? Unless you love blueberries, raw blueberries aren't that exciting. But they are very good for you because of those dark skins.
I'd say the closest I could get would be a cross between a grape and a blueberry. But not as tart as a grape. And just like grapes, the taste varies.
The little black Lycioide berries were a great surprise to me the other day, I was reminded of raisins. But these weren't dried ;-)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6632811

I like both grapes and blueberries. If I have some berries I will try them.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6633414

I have not had these since I lived in Northern California, where the Fuchsias grow over a very long season.
The flavour is not easy to describe, but definitely NOT an "acquired" taste - just different.
Not too sweet - just right!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6636224

I really like them. They have a sweet floral essence. It really does depend on which fuchsia you tried. So far, the smaller the berry, the better the flavor.
Another very important detail, is to make certain they are ripe.
Wait until the entire skin is so dark it is almost black and the berry falls off into your hand. Like many other types of fruit, such as blackberries, if you have to pull, it isn't really ripe yet.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6664861

PedricksCorner- I just purchased a new fuchsia called "Paula Jane". Are you familiar with this variety? It has a big hole in my border to fill. You are right it is hard to find information on several varieties.

Thumbnail by Azorina

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6665227

I hope it is okay to refer to my website in the forums. If not, then I won't in the future. If you are interested, I have made a page just for links to sources of information on fuchsias. Like societies in England, Australia, New Zealand, etc. But how tall a variety is going to get depends so much on the conditions it is grown in, that it is hard to go by what they say the height is going to be. From Paula Jane's corolla, or skirt as I like to think of them, she looks like she is related to the Duchess of Albany and Temptation. Or even Delta's Groom. They have that point on them. All three of those bushes are large and very vigorous! Another way to tell is the foliage.
Did you know that fuchsia foliage is as unique to each variety as it's flower? I can tell what my cuttings are in their trays even without tags or flowers. I think Paula Jane could turn out to be just what you wanted her to be. Ha, ha, now I need to go see if she is on the list I have compiled on the website. It is up to 792 varieties of uprights. As I go along, I am going to try and list heights and other details. Most of all, I am trying to post a photo of the full bush view for each of the varieties I grow. So people will be able to make choices based on more than just the photos of the flowers. Each variety takes such different forms!
I hope you will let us know how Paula Jane does!
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6676140

No need for a Fushia forum they are really ugly scrubby bushes anyway and can be oohed and awed on the noxious weed forum.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6676318

That was not particularly nice. It is too bad that you have not been exposed to the lovely hardy fuschia's that those of us who have enjoyed them have. Mine are lovely and graceful, and are still blooming beautifully after all of my "noxious weeds" have faded away for the season.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6676669

I am surprised that someone would use one of the forums here to attempt to be hurtfull. If eweed is not interested in fuchsias, then there is no reason for them to waste their time in this thread.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
6:28 AM

Post #6676848

Be patient...not all of us are blessed with good taste and a generous nature.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2009
6:39 AM

Post #6676863

Wow ... I was hoping that the PNW forums would be a graceful change from the spitefulness that invades others.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6676881

summerkid- PNW forums are are graceful long as we ignore the clumsy, Hee Hee
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6677268

There Ya go an opinion that is different than yours is hurtful,spiteful,clumsy. lol sounds like name calling to me smile.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6677361

Summerkid, this is the first I've seen. Sorry, I didn't ignore it.

Sometimes the delivery of an opinion is 'clumsy'. It's so difficult cuz words are just words and we can't see the facial expression that goes along with the words.

I know I have written something and it was totally taken the wrong way. I try to preview now what I've written before sending and think whether or not it could be taken wrongly.

Back to topic - the NOID I got at a nursery (no label and the girls working didn't have a clue) is looking good. No pics, sorry. It has long, thin, red tubes and darkish, green leaves. I have it by some blue fescue. Nice contrast.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6679050

Meanwhile, a number of my new varieties are starting to show color and I am very excited about them! One of them is called Ain't She Sweet, and she is! The sepals are long, thin, and white, with a dainty little simple corolla beneath! And Glitters is living up to the description on it's tag very well. Sepals "Waxy White," and Corolla "Glowing Orange Red." My favorite color is blue, but for some reason, I keep seeking out the fuchsia varieties that have orange in them. My friend with the good camera should be by soon so I can post photos of the new kids in bloom :-)
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6679374

PC, I am really excited to see your pics. I am still miles away from blooms, but all of my hardies and not-so-hardies are growing like crazy now!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6679570

I am tempted to try and take a few photos with my piece of junk camera, ha, ha! I take good photos with the 35mm, but who has time to get them developed, ya know?
Jan23, that sounds to me like Gartenmeister Bonstedt, it is a very hardy fuchsia that can come back up from underneath the ground if it happens to freeze completely above. Do the leaves almost have a reddish or purple tinge to them?

It is a good thing we are able to go back and edit our entries if we make a mistake, isn't it? I just noticed a correction I need to make above ;-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6679627

The top of the leaves is dark green with a darkish midrib and the underside is dark reddish/purple tinge. I'll look that up.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6679642

Just looked in plant files and I believe you hit the nail on the head. Great, now I have a name for my NOID. Thank you.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6680759

Thanks! And I think your particular bush should still have the special name NOID, ha, ha! The huge bush I call Larry is probably Jupiter, but even when I find out what his real name is, this bush will always be Larry to me. He was just a cutting in April 2008 when I drove even farther out into the boonies to buy Jerusalem Artichokes and a man named Larry let me take a cutting from a huge bush growing next to his trailer in the six foot tall weeds. I wonder how big he'd be if I hadn't been using him for propigation twice already and if he was in the ground!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6744312

Hi, I hope I can ask my fellow fuchsia lovers for some help. Earlier this spring, a friend named Marion let me take a cutting from her fuchsia. She'd had it so many years, there was no longer a tag and she had no idea what it's name is. So I have decided to name it Marion until I find out otherwise.
I posted a photo of the fuchsia in my thread for California Gardening in which I am also trying to gain support for a fuchsia forum. It's called "Let's Get A Fuchsia Forum Going." Please take a look and see if you know the correct name :-)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6746697

Hi PC, I finally got a picture of one of my hardies.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6746701

And the whole bush

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6746754

That is such a cute little flower! I love the dark blue skirt on it. Do you have any idea what his name is? I am thinking it could be Tiny Tim. It is on my list of uprights on the website and one that I hope to be adding to my collection. Are you interested in a trade?
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6751180

I have no idea what it is. I have had it forever. So it was something that was around fifteen to twenty years ago. I could send you some cutting or root a start for you. I have five starts off my miniature one. That pink flower is about 1/4 " long. Really neat. I could give you one of those also. But I really don't have room for any more shrubs, darn it.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6753727

Bonsai!! Ha, ha, I have been thinking about trying some of the mini fuchsias as Bonsai for a long time. I have one called Amber Rose that would be great. I think yours would be also. And I would like to see if they can survive as bonsai indoors in a sunny window. The bark on older fuchsias can be very beautiful and that is part of the art of bonsai, the trunk of the plant used.
I would love for you to send me a cutting! And then, if you ever do decide you'd like to try a new fuchsia, I'd be happy to send you one of my starts.
Tiny Tim is an old classic, we grew allot of him back in the day. I am pretty sure that is the name of your fuchsia and it would take my collection to 95.
Should I send you the money for shipping?
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6755811

No, just dmail me your address. I will send several pieces off the large one and one of the starts of the mini. I will try to find the picture I posted last year of the mini.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6756182

Thanks Willowwind2! I just sent it to you. Let me know if you ever decide you'd like one of mine in trade. Just scored a wooden shelf for free at a hardware store when I was getting another 15 bags of steet manure. Planting mix is SO expensive for me. So I mix steer manure half and half with garden soil, water it a bit every day for two weeks, then mix that half and half with planting mix for my containers.
Now I gotta get that sucker out of the van and haul it downhill...it will be great as a shelf for trays of sprouting seeds. I am so behind in getting my veggies started this year. But all the fuchsias are happy!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6760670

Sounds like you work too hard.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6761094

Ha, ha! I live in an area with an extremely high unemployment rate right now. And it isn't going to get better anytime soon. I have to spend two hours a day communting. If this little nursery does what I know it can next year, I won't have to do that anymore and I just might have a secure job for myself until I can't work. Ha, I might just even be able to retire in twenty years when I'm in my 70's! Or at least take it easy and just supervise. Best of all, I'll get to do what I love for a living. Something I haven't been able to say in a long, long time. The hard work and penny pinching will be worth it :-)
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6765563

what area do you travel to for work, PC?
I used to live in Los Gatos & the area south of Santa Cruz to Carmel is where I played...lol.
I love that portion of CA; I'm sure it's a bit different nowadays.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #6766848

Ah! Then you know that although I have to endure a commute from Santa Cruz to Del Rey Oaks every day. And that means going from one end of the Monterey Bay to the other. It is a stunningly gorgeous commute!!! Some days it just takes my breath away. Especially at sunrise.
No, thankfully, it has NOT changed much yet. I left Santa Cruz after 20 years there, when it got to the point that one could walk somewhere faster than drive there!! But although I live out in Freedom, my commute van picks us up in Aptos.
Santa Cruz was once a sleepy little tourist village...
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #6771560

late 60's to early 70's: not an easy place to hitchhike through as the tourists didn't pick you up & the locals weren't going very far!
I still think it has an awesome climate, despite the fog typical of the area. I actually prefer the weather there to that of Hawaii, and the traffic is horrid there, too.

No wonder you grow so many fabulous Fuchsias!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6774411

It's true that I get my fair share of fog out here in Freedom. Actually, I am closer to Corralitos. But since I am up in the mountains, it also gets very hot and very cold here. One of my "missions" regarding fuchsias, is to prove they are capable of growing out in the full sun. All of my specimen plants are out in the full sun most of the day. The fog mostly benefits me, ha, ha! Because I can work harder in it. The fuchsias can handle the full on sun, but I can't! When I get a new variety, the first thing I do is transplant it right out in the sun. When most people think of fuchsias, they think of tender hanging baskets that fry in the heat. I don't grow those!
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6774684

We are seeing more of the "hardy" varieties up here. But knowing that there are so many choices, it's hard to settle for standard fare.
I would prefer to grow them in large containers so my dogs don't ruin them. But I'm not sure of their hardiness in such. After losing several to the past 3 winters, I'm a bit more cautious about low temps & their ability to deal.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6776755

I,too, am a fuchsia fancier and lover. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to grow but one and I don't know or remember the name of it. It is pale pink and white. Maybe with y'alls help I can get into it more. etc.

Ann
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6776937

Ann - you have arrived at Plant Enablers R Us.
We will definately encourage you to obtain more & try again!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6777068

Hi Ann, Katye is right! Hmm, pale pink and white. There are a fair number that meet that description. Like Sacramento Bell and Pink Panther. You should be able to grow lots of fuchsias in your zone! Especially if you follow the illustrations given by the Northwest Fuchsia Society. Then even if everything above the soil freezes, they will come back up from beneath the surface. And just like roses, they can produce huge new spikes of growth in the spring. Depending on the variety of course. Some grow much faster than others.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6777935

My hardy is planted against a brick wall that faces due south and it does great.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6781177

See, and a south facing wall is going to get lots of sun, right? Fuchsias are tougher than most people realize! They love the sun! Someone in one of these forums wrote that a friend from Brazil, where most fuchsias originated, said they get so big down there, that they use the wood for firewood! And I believe it! My Magellanica has a big thick trunk on it. Once and a while I have to cut it down a bit and I have to use a saw to do it. My neighbor doesn't like it coming over the fence and I have seen Magellanica growing up to the second story of a house out here on the coast.
By the way plantladyhou, Magellanica gets a pink and almost white flower with just a hint of blue. They are small and very abundant. My neice said the looked like fairy dancers.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6782776

This is a fuchsia tree that I purchased at a private sale on Fox Island...I don't know the variety so I refer to it as the Fox Island Fairy Dancer. My DH is 6'2" for perspective

Thumbnail by Azorina

Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6782786

This is another fuchsia tree I purchased at the same sale

This message was edited Jul 5, 2009 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by Azorina

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #6783066

Cool! The first one is definately Magellanica! I think the bark on Magellanica is very interesting and I am experimenting with making a few into bonsai and a few others are getting clipped into a hedge. The second one though, with Magellanica sneaking into it, I don't know! Years ago, I bought my first twenty varieties in the same size as I ship and one of them grew and grew and grew, but never bloomed. It got so big I didn't have room for it, or so I thought at the time. Maybe it just needed to mature. But I gave it away and will never know.
Any chance you'd be interested in a trade? I'd send you any of the starts I sell in return for some cuttngs of the mystery fuchsia tree.

Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6784598

I'm up for a trade...Unfortunately I have had very little success in propagating Fuchsias even with rooting hormone. The Magellanica did sneak into the picture
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6785665

I use a special blanket, but never rooting hormone. I used to use a thin white guazy material, but then they started to put out these cool plastic blankets with thousands of tiny holes in them that last much longer. And this year, I even put in an automatic misting system on a small area in the shade. Only the cuttings get shade until they grow roots. Then everyone moves out into the sun!
Just take a look at the list of stuff I have avalaible and tell me what you'd like and I'll send it to you. Another trick is those plastic covered containers with slits in them that they use for fruit nowadays. Those make great tiny greenhouses! Especially for starting seed and cuttings in the winter.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6789021

PedricksCorner-I think you actually have this fuchsia. Actually it is common around here. Here is a close up.

Thumbnail by Azorina

Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6789027

And here is a picture of the other tree

Thumbnail by Azorina

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6790755

You are right, it used to be common in some areas. Mine is decended from a huge bush I found growing in Capitola, CA over 30 years ago. I brought cuttings of in into the nursery where I worked for over 10 years, because although they were famous for their fuchsias, they did not have this one. There are a few variations on Magellanica. Mine is not totally pink, nor white, it has a hint of blue in the corolla.
I am really looking forward to the one in the second photo!!
I've been taking photos of my new varieties and hope to be adding them to the database here soon. That is another on of my goals, to add fuchsias to the list here and/or at least provide photos for those that do not yet have one. I am hoping there will be more of us interested in fuchsias. As identifying the varieties is not always easy. For instance, the photo they have listed here for Dollar Princess looks nothing like what I have. Mine matches the photo of Dollar Princess at the Northwest Fuchsia Society website.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6832161

I have identified the fuchsia I was calling Marion. Sort of sad about it, but I knew it had to be a named variety because Marion bought it from the once large and famous nursery I worked at for 10 years. She had this fuchsia for many years and had lost the tag long ago. Finding the real name of this fuchsia is one of the reasons I had for trying to generate interest in a fuchsia forum!
Turns out Marion is actually Orange Crush!! That is a good name for it, so I don't mind so much, ha, ha! Not like someone named her Lady of the Hall at the Southern Palace or something :-D
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6832590

I haven't forgotten PC. Just been busy with my mom. I will soon be back at work in the garden.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6835335

I hope she is okay! Does she just need assistance, or has she been ill? Don't worry, I will be patient!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6836460

I saw your post on 'my mom' thread. Thanks
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6957152

hummer_girl has started a new thread trying to get a fuchsia forum started, I haven't had a chance to read up on the thread where everyone is voting, so I don't know yet, who amoung those of us who have been writting in this thread have voted. Got to run now and will read them later, but I do hope we will all vote and get this ball rolling!
There are over 10,000 known varieties of fuchsias!!! We need a Fuchsia Forum ;-)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6958865

Yes we do.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6961820

Glad to see you here Willowwind2, how are you doing?
I hope your garden is keeping your spirits up.
As I know from experience, that one will always miss those that have gone before us.

I neglected to put a link here to the thread hummer_girl has started which is being tracked by DavesGarden to see if there is enough interest to start a Fuchsia Forum.
Everyone needs to make an entry there. No so much to "vote," but as to throw your name onto the "yes" list ;-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026402/

I hope to "see" you all there!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6962201

I'm doing ok. Having a hard time getting into my old routine after two years. My brother was here for two months and my sis for 1, I miss them but am enjoying having the privacy back.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6978656

Happy Birthday, PedricksCorner.
Hope its full of beautiful blooms!!!
Jan
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6979634

Thanks Jan! It is a bit overcaste here today, but I don't mind, I can get allot more work done outside when it is cooler than when it is hot. So for me, it is a perfect weather day.
I've been wondering if Jan23 was your name or a date. Two of my little sisters were born in January :-)
I went and bought a new fuchsia yesterday and spent five times more than I normaly would for a new variety. And I thought long and hard about it. I even came home and went back four hours later. Worried that someone else may have noticed it and bought it already, as there was only one!
Gary aka Tiger Boy, snuck into the shot ;-)
This is Rohees New Millenium!

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6980111

Justification for new one: it's my birthday present!!! :)

Jan is the name, 23 is birthdate, as well as anniversary date. I figured it would be easier for DH to remember just one date. Now, he just has to get the months right - Nov. and June. hee-hee
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #6989216

Scorpio woman and June bride?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6989929

Actually Sagittarius woman :)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6991053

I am continueing to hope that we will be seeing photos of peoples fuchsias either in here, or even better, in the new thread hummer_girl started for getting a fuchsia forum going!
This is Iced Champagne

This message was edited Aug 26, 2009 11:39 AM
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6991058

Ha, okay, this is Iced Champagne... ;-)

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6991824

PC, Hope this is the picture of my tiny fuchsia. The bloom is about 3/8" long.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6992442

Hi Willowwind2, isn't that such a cute little tiny flower? I confess that I never thought it would be one that I'd have in my collection. For one thing, the foliage is also tiny and making the cuttings would be a bit of a chore. But the other day I saw one in bloom in my trays and wondering how in the world it got in there! Ha, ha, then I remembered that someone gave me a little tiny piece of one and I planted it with the other cuttings I was doing that day, just because. This weekend it got transplanted into a 5 gallon pot next to all the other new varieties and it is literally growing on me, ha, ha!
There are a number of Fuchsia mycrophyllla's, so I wonder which one I have and if it is the same as yours. They look the same.
How are the other fuchsias in your garden doing? Like the cute little guy you posted on June 27th?
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6996055

I will get cutting to you as soon as it cools off a little. Of both of my hardys. Well one plant and somecuttings.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6996450

Thanks! And let me know if you want any of mine, I'd be happy to send you a few!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #7017455

This is one of my hardy fuschias. NOID currently, may find a name later..
Have had it for a few years, but it has recently gotten more light since a tree fell down in last winter's very heavy snow.
It dies down to the ground each year and is currently about 24 inches tall.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7017540

It's beatiful PNW! It is hard to tell many fuchsias from just their flower, one needs to see the foliage as well. But it looks awfully close to Charlie Girl. This group of fuchsias though, with this type of coloring, has a large number of varieties, so it is hard to say for certain. The first few photo examples of Dollar Princess here in the Plant Files are wrong, it has a much smaller flower and redder sepals. But yours looks allot like the photos posted there...
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #7017886

Yahoo!!!

Go - see - now!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/fuchsia/all/
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7018059

As usual, you are RIGHT on top of things Kate. Everyone, this seems to be the new "Fuschias Discussion Forum"!
nilly
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #7018314

I would definitely follow a fuschia forum!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7023839

PedricksCorner...

I just wanted to let you know that yesterday when my Mom and I were taking a leisurely walk through our garden, we saw a fuchsia berry on one of my hardy fuchsias. Never would have though to before reading this forum, but we decided to taste it. It wasn't probably as ripe as it should have been, but I picked it and braved the first taste (I was raised to try everything once before you turn your nose up and say yuck). I was very surprised that it was sweet, and if it would have been a little bit riper, it probably would have been quite good. Never thought I would find myself eating a fuchsia berry rather than cutting it off! Thanks for the experience!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #7023908

I am SO proud of you! Ha, ha, my youngest niece was here for a week and she was constantly running up to me with a fuchsia berry to try from one of the bushes and expected me to know from which one it came LOL!
The best ones should be practically black and you shouldn't have to tug on them. I have found that the varieties with the smaller berries taste the best. I am hoping to be able to try making fuchsia berry jam next year. After all, raw blueberries aren't that exciting, but dang, I love blueberry jam!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7323903

My first berry, can't recall which bush. Thrilled anyway!
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7323971

That's a nice one.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7325707

Cool! That is Delta's Groom!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7326793

Too right PC, and the berry tasted good too. Posted a photo to wrong thread a minute ago. These guys are awesome.
Thanks for convincing me I could too grow them here!
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7328673

Just remember to wait until they are dark, dark purple, almost black. And you should never have to pull a berry off if it is ripe. It just just come off when you give it a gentle tug. Unripe berries taste okay, but the ripe ones taste much better. And the smaller ones taste much better than the larger ones. My Voodoo puts out a ton of huge berries that I don't bother to eat because they just don't have the flavor of the smaller ones. Enjoy!
By next spring, I expect us all to be posting fuchsia berry recipes!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM
Can we grow cold hardy Fuchsia in our area? hummer_girl 23 Sep 4, 2009 4:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America