Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fuchsias: Let's get a Fuchsia forum going!

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 83, Views: 577
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6543483

Hi Everyone, I collect hardy upright fuchsia's and am hoping there are enough of us out there to get a fuchsia forum started here at DavesGarden!
I currently have a collection of 60 varieties and plan on expanding that today. But I can't even find photos for 7 of the last 10 I purchased. So I am anxiously waiting for the little starts I purchased to get big enough to bloom and show me what they've got!
I grow my fuchsia's in a variety of settings. From full on all day long sun, to the dappled shade under my fruit trees.
This photo is of one of my favorites, because Delta's Parade can be counted on to be blooming year round here in zone 9b. The hummingbirds and I have some color even in the middle of winter! I also love how fuchsia blossoms change color as they open, as this photo a friend took for me, shows so well.
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! DavesGarden will give us one if enough of us express interest in having one ;-D
Hmm, for some reason this page is not giving me the option to add a photo...
If you'd like to see it, then you can go to the Pacific Northwest Gardening forum and I have it there.

This message was edited May 13, 2009 9:39 AM
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6543505

Now there is a Image link here. Honest, there wasn't one when I was writing the first message!

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6547684

Hey California! Where are all of the fuchsia gardeners out there!? I am looking for old fashioned fuchsia's in old gardens. Everywhere I go, I look for big old bushes next to older homes. I love the big simple ones.
Right now, my favorite is the Duchess of Albany. Not that she is one of the old fashioned ones, she is just doing so well! This bush is just blowing me away this year with how big and fast it is growing! Last year it was in a little 4" pot. Now it is in a 15 gallon container and is three feet tall and covered with blossoms. The hummingbirds love it too!

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6547794

If you want to get a new forum started, the best thing to do is go to the Dave's Garden forum and start a thread there. You can post a link here if you want to get people over there to vote but the "official" request thread is always in that forum so the admins don't have to keep their eye out in a bunch of different places to see if there's enough interest.

It's too hot here for me to have much luck with the kind of fuchsias that you're showing so I gave up on them a long time ago--I'm sure there are some people who live closer to the coast who grow them though.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6548484

HI ecrane3, I did "talk" to Dave' Garden, and they suggested that I first get enough people interested. Once I have received enough responce, we can redirect to a thread in the Dave's Garden forum and let them know.
Per them, there are a lot of forums going unused right now, gathering cobwebs was the term, ha, ha. So they aren't making new ones as easily as before.
I grow allot of my fuchsia's right out in the direct sun. I live 12 miles inland and my friends live in Hollister, Gilroy, Temecula, etc. It gets very hot up here in the mountains. So I don't grow hanging baskets, you are right, they can't take the heat or the sun. But if a hardy upright fuchsia is grown in the ground and in good rich soil, with the base of the plant and roots in the shade, not only can they handle the sun, they grow like crazy.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6548813

PedricksCorner,
How do they handle the wind? (may I call you PC for short?) I live 10 miles north of Temecula, and fuschia's are some of my favorite plants, but I can't find any that can handle the heat and the wind combo. Sadly, I have given up on them. I remember loving them when we lived in Santa Ana.
If I could find something that would survive here, I'd love it! ^_^
Just my 2 cents worth.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6550831

Hi SingingWolf,
It gets pretty windy here also. The huge eucalyptus trees lining the gulch along the edges of the ridge throw down tons of leaves, bark, and branches constantly. I am forever clearing the front, side, and back yards of the debris!
My collection of fuchsia's doesn't seem to mind. Occasionally the combination of heat and wind will damage the new flowers on the ones with the larger type of blossoms. Guess that is just one more reason why I love the little flowers so much!
There are always so many blossoms on the bushes with the little flowers, that even if a few get damaged, there are so many more, one can barely tell. Three of my favorites are Magellanica, Lycioides, and Mrs. J. D. Fredricks.
Here is a photo of Lycioides. When the bush is in full bloom, it is a blaze of red!

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6553310

Your Lycioides is a real beauty. I think I have a couple of places where they might survive. Be appropriate to plant near the Old cabin that DH;s Grandpa built. I'll have to look for the other two you mentioned.
Thanks for the info.
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6564921

Hi California, I am still hoping to see more people with upright fuchsia's posting photos of their gardens here! And sharing varieties. I just went to a cool website and they only had 10 out of my 60. But they also had many I didn't have, so I hope to be purchasing new varieties from them soon.
Here is a photo of one row of my specimens. Just to show that they can also handle full sun. It isn't the best photo, my camera isn't as good as my friends. The bush you can see the most of is the Duchess of Albany.
In the backyard, Voodoo, Magellanica, Lycioides, White Wonder, Black Prince, Chang, and many others, spend almost the entire day out in the full sun!!

3bebad2
Manteca, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6565071

I am trying fuchsia again this year. I remember sitting on my Grandmother front porch in San Jose with what must have been a 8 ft tall fushcia tree. I wish I knew which one this one was.
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6566039

I used to live in the Santa Cruz area as well, and one year I went a little crazy with the fuchsia starts at Antonelli Brothers. I had to give away most of my collection when I moved over the hill (moved into a 2nd story apartment with a tiny balcony), but I still have a few plants left. Here is a not so good photo I took this morning of the fuchsia/clematis/geranium jungle.

Thumbnail by sunnyg

sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6566070

I love the shape of the blooms on 'Nettala,' and can't wait for my plant to grow a bit more.

Thumbnail by sunnyg

lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6566971

Fuschia newbie here! I got a small nettala, last year - seems to be thriving (ie. it's becoming quite tall) , and it's whet my appetite for lanky fuschias. Should I trim it, so it branches out more? In the past few weeks, it's developed a few lateral branches, do don't know if that's necessary.

The other two fuschias I have are bushy, but only about 3 ft. tall - I do trim them back annually (or the deer trim them, depends who gets there first). One was a bonus, when I purchased a plant at a Flea Market - looking at Pedrick's marketplace fuschia's, I'd guess it to be a Magellanica. The other one is a common type in nurseries, but I can't find the name online - it's got dark reddish leaves & long narrow coral red flowers.

I also have a hanging fuschia that refuses to die, but the foliage dies back to nothing every year in late summer, due to mite - just too high maintenance for my garden, at this point, when I can see that there are many fuschia's that don't seem as susceptible to fuschia mite.

I have memories of the fuschia (pink & blue flowers) at my parents garden that was 5 - 6 ft. tall, every summer, with no care other than occasional water... it's still there, 30 years later, but seems to be on its last legs.

Looking forward to learning more about fuschia's & expanding my collection!

Liz

This message was edited May 18, 2009 7:53 PM
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6568479

Hi sunnyg, guess where I started my fuchsia collection, ha, ha! And guess where I worked for ten years...back then, I had an acre of ferns and their greenhouses went all the way down to Capitola Road. Those were the days!
What a beautiful little "jungle" you have. Looks pretty well organized and maintained to me ;-) Is that the Duchess of Albany?
And yes, I love the unusual petals on Nettala also. It is one of the ones I am hoping to add to my collection soon. I just found one I had been looking for forever, Chang. An upright with simple flowers that have the most orange hue I have seen yet on a fuchsia. It will be some time though, before I start to propigate it. I just put it into a 15 gallon container and it is taking off! What others did you keep?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6568492

Hi 3bebad2, that is the kind of fuchsia memories I am talking about! Those huge old flower bushes that used to be beside all the porches of the older homes. And San Jose, talk about hot weather! But upright fuchsia's in the ground can handle it and thrive if taken care of! I wish I knew which one it was also.
Everywhere I go, I keep my eyes open looking for fuchsia's in the yards of older homes, to see if I can find some of the older varieties. And I have found a few. Who knows what their names are though, I am still hunting down the names of a few. So for now, I just name them after who ever let me take a cutting, ha, ha!
What colors did your Grandmothers have?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6568538

Hi lizzipa, I think the fuchsia you are talking about is Gartenmeister (it's got dark reddish leaves & long narrow coral red flowers.") That one is pretty tough and can regrow even if it freezes to the ground.
I've never grown Nettala, but yes, in general I would recomend pruning long branches. They can get heavy and break. Especially if there are allot of blooms on the ends. I also try to keep the blooming branches from being near the ground because of the cats in the area. Hummingbirds love fuchsia's so much that they will risk their lives to get to the lower hanging flowers. And I love hummingbirds! That is one reason why I began collecting fuchsia's. The hummingbirds at my house are so tame, they will come right up to your face!
Maybe the 30 year old fuchsia at your parents house just needs some help? Gophers can do allot of damage, but they can also aerate the soil down deep and allow for a deeper watering. Has it ever been fed or pruned? If you think it is on it's last legs, maybe it would be worth it to try and see if it has another chance left in it. Is if far from you? Would your parents be willing to try and see if feeding it every two weeks for a while helps? In my experience, even if a fuchsia is battleling the mites, they can succeed if they have good soil, water, and are fed on a regular basis. They can outgrow the mite.
Are the flowers very small pink and blue? Like Magellanica? Or larger and bluer? Next I will be begging you to take a cutting and send it to me!! Then it would live on in a new bush.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6568570

Ped, what kind of fuschia (hardy) would you recommend for someone that you've convinced to try them again?
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #6568629

Hi SW, gee, there are so many color and form variations to choose from! How can a parent decide, ha, ha! What would you prefer? Tall and lanky, short and dense? And what are your color preferences? I'd be happy to suggest something, with a few clues ;-)
Just bear in mind that my personal favorites are always going to be the simple and smaller blossoms. Like my good old friend Vinegar Joe here! A classic!
btw, I am a citizen of the Chickasaw Nation, I like your name.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6570601

Yatahey!
I'm Cherokee and Kickapoo, among other things.
As a little girl growing up in Santa Ana, there was a kind of fushia that was maybe 3 feet tall. Had delicate pink blossoms on the inside and a pretty red on the outside. I seem to recall that it liked partial shade. Doesn't have to be showy. Drought tolerant would be really useful too. Got a crop of Hummers out here that would be using it for food too.
Hope that helps you to narrow down your ideas. I do appreciate the help!
WIB!
SW
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6570943

Pedrick (is that your preferred name?)

Thanks for the info. I will definitely trim the netalla! I have two cats, who are hunters, and lover my hummers! I have hummer feeders, but no bird seed feeders, because I don't want to attract birds to any seeds that drop to the ground. My cats catch enough birds as it is (& kindly bring them through the cat door to show me)!

As much as I'd like to, I don't have the time to devote to my parents fuschia - my Mom is 87 & may move soon... she's definitely not a gardeners, though she tries her best with her indoor plants. I took cuttings of her fuschia, once, but was unsuccessful in rooting them. I used to be able to root "anything", years ago before I had kids, but haven't had much luck lately. I recently bought rootone, so that may help.

Looking forward to buying some fuschias from you & learning more about them!

Liz
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6571046

Hi Liz,
My name is Catherine, ha, ha! I just saw that you placed some orders, so I will go respond to those in a second.
I have never needed to use rootone, but it might help. And I hope you do give it a try, as I am beside myself with curiosity now :-D !
I may have to throw in something extra for free if you are willing to wrap some in a wet paper towel and mail it to me...

Catherine
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6571059

Chukma SW! I need to respond to some orders and then I will look and see if I can find something like your description. I don't think I have anything like that yet, except perhaps Mrs. J. D. Fredricks. Or maybe it could be Gordon's China Rose, but I don't think so. How big were the flowers?
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6571236

Small world, Catherine :-). Wow, I loved wandering around that nursery. I went on my fuchsia buying spree shortly before the fire. What a shame that was. I'm not sure what cultivars I have, as that was before I paid attention to such things (I still tend to lose my tags). It was so fun to buy those cheap little starts, going solely on the brief description on the tag and hoping for something neat. I only have a couple left, including the hanging basket type as well. I planted one of them in the ground just to see what it would do, and it went wild! I'd never planted a trailing fuchsia in the ground before, and it really spread out. It's just starting to bloom right now, and has many buds on it. I'll have to look up Chang as that sounds like an interesting one.

I'm not sure if the fuchsia in that pic is Duchess of Albany or not. Whatever it is, it's one tough plant. I love it, and so do the hummers. It is from Antonelli Brothers. Here's an older pic of it...what do you think?

This message was edited May 19, 2009 2:17 PM

Thumbnail by sunnyg

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6571430

Hey sunnyg,
You made me go outside and pick flowers, ha, ha! For a moment there, I thought maybe it could be Temptation. As that one can go either way. But the foliage is very different from the Duchess of Albany and the petals come to a sharper point on the corolla. Gaffrey Lyle was close, but the flowers are much smaller.
I used to be able to tell all of the fuchsia's at Antonelli Bros Begonia Gardens just by their foliage! Because I did allot of the propigation there.
I am going to need to dig up some photos of the acre of ferns I had and post them here! Boy, those were the days I worked in heaven!!!
Gotta go!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6573049

Catherine,
I think it was about an inch long (blossom) all together. The fuschia Sunnyg posted is gorgeous too, but the colors are reversed from what I remember. I'd really just be glad to find one that would survive and be happy here.
Lovely flowers on yours Sunnyg.
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #6573377

SW, I am going to have to hunt that one down. There are so many to choose from, that I have been trying to choose ones as different from each other as I can. And I don't have anything like that, but I like the idea of a red sepals and a pink corolla. Or, as I like to think of them, a red dress with a pink slip, ha, ha! I plan on adding to my collection this week-end. And before I do, I will be doing some research in the fuchsia society websites. As the starts I buy will only have names, no descriptions and no flowers yet to see. I will let you know what I find! Meanwhile, this is a photo of Mrs. J. D. Fredricks. She gets to be a good sized bush with thick branches and small leaves that can withstand winds.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6578898

I was hunting down a list of the uprights I'd like to ad to my collection and came up with a list of 80, ha, ha! Of course I can't afford that yet! And I will be lucky if even 10 of those will be available where I am going today. But one can dream, right?
I have also been writing about fuchsia's in the Pacific Northwest Gardening forum and the Shady Gardens forum in my efforts to drum up support for a Fuschsia forum and a member in one of those had a link to the website below. I was very pleased to see that almost every single one of the 60 already in my collection are listed there as hardies!!
By the way, did you know fuchsia berries are edible? One of my goals is to try and find out which one tastes the best!
Check these guys out! I hope they get you all inspired :-)

http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6583730

Great site. It answered some of my questions. The one shown that most resembled the one I remember from my youth, is Gordon's China Rose. I also liked the Purple Heart, a lot. Actually, I liked so many of them. I am surprised that they are sun lovers that like being watered once a week. Sounds like they might actually survive here. Thanks for providing the link, Carolyn.
I've got some work and thinking to do. Hmmm.
WIB.
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6584713

I was going to suggest Gordon's China Rose!!
Yeah, the notion that fuchsia's have to be in the shade is one of the myths I am trying to bust here! If they are planted in good soil and fed on a regular schedule, they can be stunning. My Winston Churchill is covered with so many blossoms right now, you can barely see the foliage! So is Delta's Parade.
By the way I also grow a Native American veggie called Jerusalem Artichokes. They are related to another native, the Sunflower. But we eat the roots and they taste like the heart of an artichoke. Have you ever tried them? Yesterday, I traded 15 one gallon Jerusalem Artichokes for 15 new varieties of hardy fuchsia's to add to my collection. Ha, ha, I had a blast picking them out. I even found 7 of the 80 on my list I mentioned above. One is called Sundial and is a double with a red orange corolla and red orange sepals. I haven't seen one in bloom in over 20 years, so I am one happy camper. They are all just little rooted starts, so it will be a while, but I will enjoy the anticipation...;-)
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6585926

Catherine,
Am I correct in thinking that fucshia's need more shade if they're in containers? I can clearly see that I'm not fertilizing enough. Do you have a specific fertilizer that you recommend? Looking forward to potting my new fucshia's this weekend!
Thanks.
Liz
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6587834

Hi Liz! Yours will need to be in shade until they are established. But once they are growing, you will be amazed at how much sun they can handle even in containers. Of course, the larger the container the better. Most of my stock plants are in 15 gallon containers and almost all of them get at least a few hours of full sun every day. I get allot more flowers that way and the growth stays denser. Which is important for making the cuttings, as there are then more nodes on a short length of cutting and they are closer together on the cutting. That increases the survival rate.
If I could afford it, I would try and find the same fertilizer we used at Antonelli Bros, it is called Romeo and is a water soluable one like Miracle Grow. What I liked about it, was that the numbers were even 18-18-18 so all parts of the plants got the same. I use Miracle Grow just because it is easier to find and cheaper. But I don't like the numbers they provide. I use a syphon feeder and 8lbs of it a month though, so for now, it is Miracle Grow.
One thing is for certain though, I don't like time released because how often one waters and how much one waters is dependent on the weather and the stage of growth of a plant, so you can't ever know for sure when it has run out.
And I feed on a regular basis, every two weeks during most of the year!!! And once a month in the winter. Plants in containers are like birds in a cage, they can't go get what they need, we must provide it for them if we want them to thrive.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6587865

Here is a row of my specimens enjoying a sunny day!

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6587948

Yatahey!
Where to start. I love Jerusalem artichokes. I'd like to grow them, and should start looking to plant some. Tasty! I think you probably made a fair trade, if the person you got the fucshia's from, likes them as much as me. The farmers market used to have them in season.
Watsonville is way north of me! Rats! Pestilence! Double Darn!
Granma, always had me plant a row of sunflowers on the outside edges of the garden. She used to make sunflower butter from the seeds. I usually plant the three sisters way, but DH has taken over the kitchen garden this year. I'm doing flowers! ^_^
Since I get lots of sunshine, I'd like to try growing some fucshia along some sunny walls, I wonder if they could disguise the ugly old propane tank? Hmmm. Possibilities.
Thank you for the advice and the link, so many pretties, (cackle like the witch from Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz), while rubbing my paws together.
There are so many great varieties. I learned a lot so far.
WIB!
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6589671

Ha, ha! Wait till you see Larry! At least that is what I call him. When I was searching for Jerusalem Artichokes in April of last year, I found a source on CraigsList and drove even further out into the boonies than I live ;-)
I was instructed to turn right onto the first dirt road after going over a wooden bridge. When I did, I saw a group of men hanging around some trucks by a field of "weeds" almost as tall as they were. Just as I was deciding it was a bad idea, Larry and his wife walked out of the "weeds" to ask if I was Catherine.
They led me through the tall grasses (etc) to their trailer and showed me a big pile of the tubers. While I was picking some out, I noticed a huge old fuchsia growing by the trailer. It was exactly the kind of old fashioned fuchsia I search old houses for! With big red and purple single petaled flowers. I asked them for some cuttings and they were happy to let me take a few. Those cuttings are now a bush even larger than those you see in the photo in the post above!!! I just haven't been able to get a good photo of it yet. My camera is a piece of garbage, so I have to wait for friends so come by and take photos, then wait for them to remember to give them to me, ha, ha! Larry's real name is probably Jupiter. But until I confirm that, Larry is going to be an example of how big a hardy upright fuchsia can get in just one year if taken care of properly!
Another really fast grower is Magellanica. The flowers are very small, but it would have that propane tank hidden in no time!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6593581

Time to go searching for the hardy types. Thanks for all the help!
So why'd you name him "Larry"? (It's an Indian Thing!) Can't wait to see the photos.
WIB!
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6596284

Yes, it is! I name things after something connected to them. I named this fuchsia "Larry" because that is the name of the guy who sold me the sunchokes and gave me the cutting. I took a couple of photos myself, we will see how they turn out. Sometimes I get lucky and they turn out great. I'll be back later if they do.
I have been working on that list of hardy upright fuchsias, so far, I have over 500!! I will post it on my website when it is done.
Have you been to the website of the Northwest Fuchsia Society yet? I can't remember. I am using their list and two others and combining them all.
Back to work here...
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6596707

I name things too. Trees, flowers, critters, glad to know Larry came by his name honestly.
I haven't checked out the Northwest Fuchsia Society, yet. Just don't have enough time in the day. I am amazed and inspired by your dedication to hardy upright fuchsias. I know it's an incredible amount of work. ^_^
You go girl!
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6613740

Where is everybody? I know there are more gardeners in California with fuchsia's!!
As promised, here is a photo that includes my Larry. He was just a cutting last year!! Now look at him!
This is out my back door as of yesterday. Magellanica is the biggest one there. Larry is to the right, Black Prince is in the middle, Voodoo is to the left. And off in the distance to the left, you can sort of see Lycioides.
Larry is just getting started with flowers. I can't wait until he is covered in those huge red and purple single flowers. My hummingbirds are ga-ga over him. They love the color red. They will ignore me and feed on the flowers even if I am standing right next to them.
Larry's real name could be Jupiter. Which is a cool name for such a huge bush, so I won't be too bumbed if I have to change it from Larry. Sorry Larry ;-)
For some reason, every time I put the image into browse and then hit preview, it dissappears. So I am going to send this message without it and try again.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6613785

Trying again ;-) It won't do it. I have had this problem here before.
If anyone would like to see the photo, I was able to post it to the Pacific Northwest Gardening Forum in the thread I started there called:

Who Would Like to See a Fuchsia Forum?

Does anybody have any ideas about any other forum that might be a source of fellow fuchsia gardeners?
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6614944

Catherine,
You have dmail!
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6616030

Here's Larry! It could also be that since I had already uploaded the other photo to another forum, the database wouldn't allow the same photo twice...

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6616506

I can see why you like Larry. He's a really handsome fellow! ^_^
WIB!
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6618405

Hi SW,
I am waiting to hear from DavesGarden.
Glad you like Larry, I am still amazed at how big he got in just one year! AND, I have cut him twice for propigation!! That is one thing that makes it hard to get photos of all the varieties in bush form, I have to wait for them to grow out of being "harvested."
By the way, I ate a handful of Lycioide berries yesterday and they were the best yet. Yes, the berries are edible and thus one of the reasons for my desire to have so many varieties. I am searching for the best tasting berry...

CatSmiling :-)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6620556

Too Cool. You'll have to let us know how it goes. For those who haven't seen it yet, do check out Larry. He is gorgeous! Very interested so keep us posted, CatSmiling!
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6622799

Hi SW, just taking a moment to check on the forums. Still hoping we can get a few other Californians interested in sharing their fuchsias. I know they are out there and that there are allot of them, because the hanging basket types are big business in this state!
My list of uprights has gotten to 617 now! Ha, ha, and I am not finished because I needed to stop and get that other project done...
CatSmiling :-)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6646292

California used to be one of the major sources of fuchsias. Probably still is outside of Europe, where fuchsias are a really big deal.
I KNOW there are more fuchsia people out there! Where are you!? I have a list of over 700 varieties of upright fuchsia's, let's post photos of our fuchsia's here and exchange info on how they grow for us.
A good example of why, is Lycioides. The Northwest Fuchsia Society lists it as only growing up to 2 feet high. But that is in zones where it freezes! Down here, mine would be over 6 feet high by now if I wasn't always cutting it! It is a blaze of red right now. The hummingbirds and bees are busy at it all day long.

Show us your fuchsias!

sunnyCA
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6658250

Okay, I'll jump in. I've been so busy gardening that I haven't looked at DavesGarden for months. Maybe that's where all the other fuchsia lovers are, out in their gardens (just a thought). I love fuchsias and don't know the names of most of them. I just plunk them in my garden and they grow like weeds. I'll start paying more attention now. I live in Livermore and they have survived the heat wave we had a few weeks ago in pots & in full sun, but I had to keep them watered.

Having read this thread I'm thinking of planting my back fence with fuchsias. They'll have to fight the redwoods for ground space. Perhaps I'll put them in 15 gal pots. They'll get a few hours of sunlight - I think they'll look beautiful. Thank so much for all the great info, PedricsCorner. You have inspired me to gather more fuchsias :) I sure hope you are able to get a forum started. You can count me in! I'll try to get some pics and post them.
sunnyCA

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6658482

Cool, I can't wait to see them! And I am thrilled to hear someone echo what I have been trying to tell people, fuchsias CAN survive in the heat and the sun if taken care of!!! They in fact, get more flowers on them if they are out in the sun :-) I wish I had a better camera, because my front and back yards are a total blaze of colors from all of the varieties of fuchsias out there. The hummingbirds come right up to my face while I am out there. Especially while I am watering.
Yeah, maybe now people will have done all the big work in the garden and have a moment to sit back, enjoy, and drop us all a line or two ;-)

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6658727

I have been buying more fuchsias this year than I usually do. So many pretty ones. And I see there are 4 inch ones in lots of nurseries.

Sadly, in the back yard I have fuchsia mite on a few. I have been using Neem but still have them. Anyone know what kills them dead forever gone?

I know in the distant past there was an insecticide just for fuchsia mites but it was taken off the market.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6660554

Hi Kell, Malathion still works the best for me. I try to spray on a regular basis during the spring and summer. And I try to only spray in the evening while it is still light enough to see, but the hummingbirds have settled down. I mix it with Ortho Disease Control so I can hit all of my roses at the same time, or they will get covered with a white fungus and rust. The rust will get onto the fuchsias if I don't keep it off of the roses. I hate having to use sprays. But it seems to be necessary for many of the ornamentals we like in our gardens. Bayer makes a systemic, but the only one that kills the mites, is also a time released fertilizer. I don't trust time released fertilizers because you have no way of know when the plant has run out. Some plants, even some fuchsias, grow faster than others. Plus the weather has such a huge impact on how often we water, so how can one know when the fertilizer has been used up?
Another thing I do, is look for any suspicious foliage every week and remove it. Just part of the stroll throught the garden!
weatherguesser
Salinas, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6716360

Hi! I'm right down the road from you, PedricksCorner, and have at least 15 fuchsias in my garden, including 6 uprights, 6 miniatures, two hanging fuchsias, and a Fuchsia thymifolia. I won't clutter up the page with pictures; they're on my website at http://jimmundy.name/garden_album.
I fought off an attack of mites on three of my uprights a couple of years ago by spraying with Sevin (I think you spray 3 times at 4-day intervals to catch the little buggers at all stages of their life cycle). I don't much like spraying either, particularly as I worry about the hummingbirds that enjoy my Fuchsias, but it's the only method I've found that works on Fuchsia mites. I'm going to have to spray two of mine in the front yard now, as they've developed clear signs of mites (they were planted after the infestation of the others was fixed).
I think Fuchsias are among the most beautiful of flowers, and they're certainly easy to grow -- mine just like lots of water and some fertilizer every now and again. They're a little twitchy when it freezes -- I nearly lost most of mine three winters ago when we had 4 nights in a row of temperatures in the 20's; it took them the better part of a year to recover. They seem to be okay with light frosts, though, and haven't had much trouble since then.
Anyway, I think a Fuchsia forum is a great idea -- I'll be among the first to sign up.

Jim
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6716984

HI weatherguesser, I will have to check out your link! I also post allot more photos on my blog. Just google Pedricks Corner, it has a space in the name.
I am currently trying to see if the systemic Bayer might be worth trying on a few of my favorite fuchsias. As the ants have covered my French Prune tree with ahids and ahid "dew" is raining down on everything and making an ugle sticky mess of all my beautiful fuchsias!! So I used it on the tree. It will be gone long before the fruit ripens. And hopefully, so will the aphids. Then I will try it on a few larger fuchsias that wouldn't mind getting more fertilizer than usual.
Yes, that winter, I too lost a couple of fuchsias, lantanas, hybiscus, and hydrangeas. Ever since then, I move all of the fuchsias close together and pack the spaces between them with hay and/or any light compostable material like grass clippings, pulled weeds, dead leaves from all of my fruit trees, etc. The decomposing matter gives off warmth even in the winter. It has not only protected them, it has kept allot of them blooming all winter long! And of course, they start growing again much faster and sooner in the spring.
I am currently enjoying the anticipation of watching the thirty new varieties I added to my collection this year develope flower buds. Every day I hope to see a new flower I've never seen before. Ain't She Sweet was the most recent one. A beautiful simple little flower with long, long white sepals and little redish purple corolla.
Only I just realized it may have been mislabeled by the grower, as the label was hand-written and according to the Northwest Fuchsia Society, Ain't She Sweet has red sepals...hmmmm. I'd better go take another look.
The identification of fuchsia varieties and what to expect of them as full sized bushes is my main inspiration for a fuchsia forum. So I hope we can get more people interested!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6717012

Nope, Ain't She Sweet wasn't mislabeled. The Northwest Fuchsia Societies photo of her is correct, it is just the typed descprition on the list they have that is wrong.
The next two fuchsias that look like they are about to pop open are Brookwood Joy and Voltaire. Brookwood is a double and the corolla will be a marbled blue and pink! Probably stunning, but my heart will always favor the simple ones.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6740122

I love Larry.
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6740190

Hi SW! I am so glad to hear that! Larry must be doing well!
My Voltaire just opened up this week and at first I thought I was going to have to rename Larry. But Voltaire's leaves are much smaller and although the flowers are very close, they are not as big as Larry's!
I tried to take more photos today. One of my little sisters gave me one of her old digital camera's and it takes much better photos. Larry is just stunning right now. He is covered with those huger red and purple flowers! A friend came by and would not believe me that he was just a cutting a bit over a year ago.
I hope all of the others are doing well also.
My collection went and added to itself...
It's at 92 now, ha, ha!
WIB,
CatSmiling
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #6740206

I'm never going to be able to keep up with your collection. LOL! Will be able to post some photos, hopefully tomorrow. Got really hot here, and some leaves got scorched but everyone is hanging in there growing, and some are blooming, while others are putting on new leaves, but Larry is growing like a weed. LOL! He really can take the heat! He's getting fat too (bushy)! : )
Glad your sis found your place. Really nice of her to gift you the digital camera too!
More tomorrow!
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6741890

I will post some photos of the new guys soon! The new camera is SO much better!
I expect your photos to be some of the first to be posted on my website as examples of success from my little guys ;-D
CatSmiling
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6742004

Okay, I want to show off a few blossoms here. This is Will Rogers. A fellow Oklahoman. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6742014

The Gypsy Prince has doubled in height, but did get a little scorched. Notice the new growth at the top? As long as the base is shaded and they are kept moist and not wet, they thrive. They were at can height, so I moved them down since I'm not bottom watering seeds to get them started anymore there. Now their base is in the shade. They go into 1 gallon pots this weekend. : )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6742020

Temptation is about ready to go in the ground. At least 3 x original height.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6742030

This blossom was so heavy I had to pick it up, but boy look at that beauty. This is Quasar.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6742039

Side view of Quasar with tag visible and fingers not in photo. : )
Gosh, what a beauty!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6742046

Quasar w/o my fingers.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6742071

I love this fuchsia but hate it's name. What arrogant man named this flower after his wife? He couldn't call it by her name? He had to use his? Never-the-less, She, is a sweetie.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6742081

Do you recognize Larry?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6742092

Better photo of Larry. He is by far the hardiest of them all.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6742102

Lycoides is extremely happy too! I just can't believe that it continues to bloom! What a lovely treat. Glad you got the photo set up working on the web site. I'll be sure to post some of the pics there.
Got to run for now!
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #6744284

Wow! I am so thrilled to see how they are all doing!! I haven't added the page yet that will show off peoples success with their fuchsias from me, ha, ha! I will do that ASAP. As you are doing great!
Here are two new ones I am thrilled about. I thought I had lost my Mood Indigo. But she came back and I was just able to make about 50 cuttings from her, so she'll be available soon. The second one is a new one to me, Brookwood Joy. I think I will throw in a 3, whom I call Marion, after the lady who let me take a cutting. If anyone can tell me the real name, please do!!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6744288

Here is Brookwood Joy, she is small, but mighty!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6744292

And here is my argument for a fuchsia forum. How many of us have fuchsias in our yards and have no idea which variety they are? We can help each other identify them!
Until someone sets me straight, this one will be Marion ;-)

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6746137

I like Marion a lot. Still can't get over Quasar! Larry Jr. says Hi! I really liked the Brookwood Joy, small but mighty! Also glad that you didn't loose Mood Indigo, as it has some neat coloring.
I think we need a forum that will help us with identifications too.
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6746776

Wait until Sundial and Royal Velvet start to bloom! They are gonna knock your socks off! Trisha is another one that is stunning, but I am having some trouble with her, she doesn't not grow very fast at all. She is like Quasar, but with a marbled deep purple skirt. I have been busy taking new photos for the website and will be posting them as soon as I can get them edited.
WIB,
Cat
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6760112

Catherine,

Well, the deer got my seedlings yesterday. The ate the tops & flowers off all the little seedlings, I bought from you. Please tell me they'll come back ... just bushier!

Liz
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6760353

Hi Liz,
Ouch!!! If they didn't get everything, then yes, they can come back up. They can even put new growth out of the same node used for rooting beneath the surface.
I am stunned and surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be. The bulk of the nursery is on a hill in deer and coyote country with no fences. I have often heard about the damage that deer can do. And I have seen how they can strip rose bushes. But they have never damaged anything at the nursery except for the Jerusalem Artichokes and my personal asparagus patch.
And I am not even sure it was the deer that did the damage to my plants, because there is also a huge rabbit population and when I spread the plastic from the steer manure bags around the pots, the nibbling stopped.
I have lived in fear of what the deer could do to my stock plants, but they have never touched them. Maybe there is enough of other deer fodder around for them. Or maybe the coyotes keep them away. I don't have any greenhouses, everything is grown out in the open so they won't be over sensitive to the sun, wind, etc. Hungry deer could ruin me!
Please keep me posted on whether or not your seedlings recover! Is there a more protected area they can be moved to?
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6760541

lizzipa, sorry to hear about your fuchsia eating deer. Don't have that problem here, just the heat, but all of my babies are doing well. I hope they come back for you. I used to put old bird cages over the plants that the bunnies liked. Maybe that would help yours to come back?
CatSmiling, the babies survived the current heat wave, but haven't had a chance yet to repot. Got sidetracked, or kidnapped. All right! I was invited to ride on a float in our small town's Independence Day Parade. I had fun! So plants are waiting patiently for me to repot them. : )
Can't wait to see the new varieties. I'll be ordering some more when we get back from OK.
I'll keep you posted.
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6761149

Your going to OK!? I wish I could! But I can't travel this time of year. Ha, ha, I am gardening sitting for three families on vacation right now. Everyone and anyone I'd trust to water mine, is on vacation!
Two little gopher hunting apprentices are sacked out beside me at the moment. I was hauling steer manure home yesterday and made the mistake of stopping in the feed store...
My gopher hunter is getting old, and you know it takes a pro to teach a pro. She is so pissed at me right now she can't see straight. These guys are still to young to even venture outside, so she has time to adjust. One of them looked at me and insisted I take her and her brother home...
Honest, she has a very intense stare. Like she has something she is trying to tell me.
I know you know what I mean.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6762014

Well I think your rodent control specialist in training is beautiful!
Cats can be quite expressive. For instance, I don't think I've ever heard my Peek-a-boo meow. Right now my son's cat, Merry, has claimed the foot of the bed on DH's side. Boo is hissed off at me because she doesn't like Merry on her bed. She doesn't mind my old lady cat Griselda, but she sure doesn't like her niece.
I have seen Boo and Griseldabeast just intimidate the other 4 footeds with their basilisk stare. It's hilarious.
I practice staring at them to see who blinks first. It's good practice. Not to mention a great prank. Just stare at someone's hair or shoulder for a minute or three and they'll be asking if they have some dirt on their face or a spider in their hair. It was fun when I did it to my sister, although, I'm sure she wasn't too amused. My Dad thought it was funny, too. He just wished he'd thought of it first. LOL!
You are quite right to have the elder cat teach the youngsters. But you really should start letting them get to know each other. Mom usually teaches the kits starting as soon as they can follow her. Just remember to give your older cat as much or more attention than the kits (at least while she is around). They get jealous. Plus, you went and changed the family dynamics.
Yup, I'm going to OK. this July. We are going back to the old homestead to scatter Dad's ashes on the old farm. Be meeting up with my sibs and step mom, Barbara when we get out there. I'll be taking lots of photos, because I won't be going back.
I plan on having a house, pet, plant sitter stay here while we are gone. It is so hard to find anyone reliable, especially when you have a farm and so many plants. Am trying to group the potted plants by their watering needs. Most are on drip line, but there are some things that need to be hand watered.
Don't have a clue what this has to do with fuchsias, hope that they make it through my absence. I always seem to loose a plant or an animal I'm attached to when I go away for more than a few days. Oh well.
Just as long as I don't loose my pup Spirit or my Griselda or Boo. Unless they die in their sleep of course. Not much you can do when the Creator decides to take them.
Hope the felines in your family learn to like each other soon. : )
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6815863

It is 97 degrees here today and all of my fuchsias are lapping it up!
The one gallon Jerusalem Artichokes are wilting, but not the fuchsias. Because they are all in large containers or in the ground.
Here is a recent photo of Larry, SW. He continues to astound me. He may be next to a fence, but he is on the sunny side of that fence!
Cat Smiling

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6832177

Marion has been identified as Orange Crush! I sort of like that name!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6957187

Hi Everyone, in a rush here, just would like everyone who has been reading this thread to consider reading the new one started by hummer_girl and to vote on starting a new Fuchsia Forum!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1027094/
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6961832

Opps, this is the thread in the DavesGarden forum that is being tracked to see if there is enough interest. Please just post a message to throw your name into the hat!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026402/
nilly
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7018309

I would definitely follow a fuschia forum!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #7018558

No luck for me either; it is too hot, and the ones I like get the hummingbirds disease...
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7019401

We have a brand new Fuchsia Forum!!
Come and see!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM
Can we grow cold hardy Fuchsia in our area? hummer_girl 23 Sep 4, 2009 4:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America