Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: My new garden toy, come look

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6544953

DDDH got me this on Mother's Day. The day before I had complained about blisters I had gotten trimming an espalier using a pair of scissors. I had shown him a similar tool I saw in the Gardener's Supply catalog a few months ago, but I hadn't seriously thought that I needed to have one, more like "would be nice to have".

When my finger was blistered and my arm rather stiff from scissor-trimming for over an hr, I knew I needed a little help. The mini weighs about 2 pounds and cuts thru anything less than 1/2" thick, as if it were butter. Won't work for regular shrubs. I absolutely adore it. Will be using it lots.

Before we went to Lowe's to get my minishrubber I looked online for user reviews. It was 1/2 pro and 1/2 con. It is definitely for light use. Ours cost $45, the one listed in Gardeners Supply is $65.

If you use the mini, pls post here. I'd like to read what you all think about yours. Me, I recommend it!

This message was edited May 19, 2009 11:41 AM

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6544958

I forgot to say it is chargeable and the charge lasts about 30 min. here is the tool with the blade trimmer attachment. I haven't used that yet. Will come handy when trying to cut grass around shrubs. One of the users in favor of the mini said she used it for deadheading. I might try using it for that also.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6545521

oh lord, don't let Brian see that!!!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6545637

randy!!!!!! thank you so much. mark says he can get to your house in his sleep.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6548548

I guess he got them, I didn't notice them as I left today
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6570116

Glad you posted this, as I now know that I need a bigger one!
Pyrola5
Bradford, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6574120

Ooo! That looks so neat! Know what you mean about blisters and stiff arms.

Hi, don't mean to be rude. I am new here. When I saw a new garden toy post I had to check it out. lol. That would be a real useful tool. I have been out weeding, a beautiful day, I have to go to work but get the next 2 off and they look to be beautiful,too. You all have a great day
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6588721

That's cool Nery, I could use ne of those. DH just bought me a new re-chargeable reciprocating saw for planting. We have so many big trees here you have to cut a lot of roots. I haven't tried it yet because everything is still so wet and soggy here.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

May 24, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6588796

http://www.gardeners.com/Rechargeable-Clip-+-Shear/GardeningTools_Pruners,34-927,default,cp.html

I have the set shown at Gardener's Supply, but I didn't buy mine from there. I found mine in a clearance sale bin at Walmart in Tuscaloosa - much cheaper. So of course I HAD to buy them.

I really like the shrub cutter. I use it on wisteria which is threatening to swallow up my driveway.

I keep it on the charger, but a few days ago when I went to get it, I found the shrubber and one other tool which has the same kind of then charger cord snapped in two pieces - one end of each tool still plugged into the charger. I can only guess that some kind of animal chewed through the charger cord. I don't see and teeth marks - just the cleanly severed cords.

So now I have to look for replacement cords.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America