Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: My new garden toy, come look

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6544953

DDDH got me this on Mother's Day. The day before I had complained about blisters I had gotten trimming an espalier using a pair of scissors. I had shown him a similar tool I saw in the Gardener's Supply catalog a few months ago, but I hadn't seriously thought that I needed to have one, more like "would be nice to have".

When my finger was blistered and my arm rather stiff from scissor-trimming for over an hr, I knew I needed a little help. The mini weighs about 2 pounds and cuts thru anything less than 1/2" thick, as if it were butter. Won't work for regular shrubs. I absolutely adore it. Will be using it lots.

Before we went to Lowe's to get my minishrubber I looked online for user reviews. It was 1/2 pro and 1/2 con. It is definitely for light use. Ours cost $45, the one listed in Gardeners Supply is $65.

If you use the mini, pls post here. I'd like to read what you all think about yours. Me, I recommend it!

This message was edited May 19, 2009 11:41 AM

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6544958

I forgot to say it is chargeable and the charge lasts about 30 min. here is the tool with the blade trimmer attachment. I haven't used that yet. Will come handy when trying to cut grass around shrubs. One of the users in favor of the mini said she used it for deadheading. I might try using it for that also.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6545521

oh lord, don't let Brian see that!!!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6545637

randy!!!!!! thank you so much. mark says he can get to your house in his sleep.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6548548

I guess he got them, I didn't notice them as I left today
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6570116

Glad you posted this, as I now know that I need a bigger one!
Pyrola5
Bradford, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6574120

Ooo! That looks so neat! Know what you mean about blisters and stiff arms.

Hi, don't mean to be rude. I am new here. When I saw a new garden toy post I had to check it out. lol. That would be a real useful tool. I have been out weeding, a beautiful day, I have to go to work but get the next 2 off and they look to be beautiful,too. You all have a great day
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6588721

That's cool Nery, I could use ne of those. DH just bought me a new re-chargeable reciprocating saw for planting. We have so many big trees here you have to cut a lot of roots. I haven't tried it yet because everything is still so wet and soggy here.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

May 24, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6588796

http://www.gardeners.com/Rechargeable-Clip-+-Shear/GardeningTools_Pruners,34-927,default,cp.html

I have the set shown at Gardener's Supply, but I didn't buy mine from there. I found mine in a clearance sale bin at Walmart in Tuscaloosa - much cheaper. So of course I HAD to buy them.

I really like the shrub cutter. I use it on wisteria which is threatening to swallow up my driveway.

I keep it on the charger, but a few days ago when I went to get it, I found the shrubber and one other tool which has the same kind of then charger cord snapped in two pieces - one end of each tool still plugged into the charger. I can only guess that some kind of animal chewed through the charger cord. I don't see and teeth marks - just the cleanly severed cords.

So now I have to look for replacement cords.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America