Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: How and when to prune Sago Palm.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blackgoldgirl
Pensacola, FL

May 14, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6545576

Is it ok to prune an overgrown sago palm in May in Northwest FL?
rosehollow
Defuniak Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6551102

blackgoldgirl,

What do you mean, "prune"? The only thing to do with a sago palm is do take off fronds that have gone yellow or have frost damage. Make sure to use palm food fertilizer to rejuvenate them, or mix 1 cup epsom salts in 5 gals. water. They only need this about every six weeks during the growing season.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6551498

Palms can't really be pruned - cut the growing tip, and it dies.

Resin
blackgoldgirl
Pensacola, FL

May 17, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6558558

Thank you for your response. In Northwest Fl. the fronds of Sago Palms are usually completely removed in the fall and left as is until the new fronds appear in the spring. About three years ago I had done this but now my Sago is overgrown. Since I hadn't removed the fronds in the fall I wasn't sure if it was too late to remove them now. I did proceed and removed the old growth leaving the newest set of fronds. I have many pups underneath so now I need to remove them to plant somewhere else. I attended a garden tour of five gardens today and saw some beautiful Sago palms. I saw many male specimens and two females with the seeds in the nest. They were beautiful !

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 19, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6570544

If you are referring to Cycas revoluta, it is a Cycad, not a Palm.

Do not remove any fronds from the Cycad unless they are dead. As the fronds are dying back, they reabsorb nutrients, so removing the old fronds can stunt the plant's growth if they aren't dead yet.

In general, when a Cycad is flushing with new growth, it will be dropping the old leaves. When they are brown, it is okay to remove them.
Make sure you fertilize the Cycad when it is flushing with new growth.
PG789
Gainesville, FL

May 23, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6587179

I also wouldn't prune a sago palm. How big they get seems to be directly related to how large the pot is if they are in planters. Here in Gainesville we have some really huge ones, about six feet tall, growing in the ground. A lot of people use them as driveway borders, one on each side of the driveway.

I too, would never prune a palm, except to cut off entirely dead fronds. They do not like to be disturbed and I have also found that a pruning wound leaves them susceptable to infections. Also. I would NEVER use palm fertilizer. 1 teaspoon of epson salts in a gallon of water seems to be all they need, especially helpful if the fronds begin to yellow.

Basically, treat it as a native and ignore it, except to enjoy it.

Paul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America