My New Geraniums from Shady Hill Gardens

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

I got my first order from Shady Hill today. I ordered the "Fancy-Leaf Collection" which includes the following: Occold Shield, Contrast, Happy Thought, Mrs. Peters, Persian Queen, and Mrs. Pat. I've never seen such beautiful foliage! The plants were very well packaged and did not suffer any broken leaves or displaced soil during shipment. Here's a photo.

Thumbnail by figaro52
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh pretty. I have a Vancouver Centennial but the deer or rabbit got a hold of it. Poor thing!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

But this is what I found yesterday. A Martha Washington Geranium.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Martha Washington's are gorgeous. I had some in a planter last year. For me they were a little slow to bloom at first -- but a little Miracle Gro did the trick!

Oh, thanks for the pointers with the Miracle Grow.

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Lili, now that I think about it -- I recall it wasn't Miracle Gro (I had run out of it!), but rather a Bloom Booster. The brand I used was Peters. A fertilizer lower in nitrogen is best for the blooming. Sorry for the confusion. Good luck with the Martha Washingtons!

OK. Thanks. I have some bloom booster.

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

That's good. You'll be all set!

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, those look nice. I have a $5 coupon for Shady Hill that expires this weekend, I may have to take a drive out there! They have such gorgeous geraniums, I could really go wild there.

Deb

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Deb, they really are great geraniums. Mine have grown quite a bit since I received them.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Did you go out to the nursery, or mail order? I've only been to their new location once, and it's quite a drive, and I always spend way more than I intend. I used to go to their Batavia location a couple of times a year until they closed that one, this one is just a longer drive.

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

I did mail order since I live at least an hour drive from there. Since you have a coupon expiring, you may want to give them a call this weekend and place your order and have them ship to you (just so your coupon doesn't go to waste).They ship Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday and use 2-day FedEx. For my 6-plants the total was $60.00 (tax and shipping is included in that price). I believe you can order fewer than 6 plants, too. When I gave my payment information over the phone I spoke to Joe. I believe he's one of the owners.

On a beautiful weekend I'd rather be working in the garden than driving an hour or more. LOL!

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't mind the drive, it's about an hour for me, too. I love walking through greenhouses, and usually end up with something completely different than what I had in mind when I went out there. There is always so much more there than on the website.

I may have to do a road trip this weekend!

Deb

Oak Lawn, IL(Zone 5a)

Deb, you're right. By shopping in person there's more flexibility, and if you get geraniums, you can get bigger ones. I'm still hoping to get out there sometime in June. A coworker of mine lives not far from there and is always telling me how nice it is. I love shopping the nurseries when I have the time and don't feel rushed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.