Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Garlic of Polite Society: Garlic Lover's Reply

Communities > Forums > Article: The Garlic of Polite Society
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Garlic of Polite SocietyReplies: 3, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Potagere

May 14, 2009
9:13 AM

Post #6546576

I just love garlic. So (fortunately) does Ms Marta (my wife). We use a lot of it in the kitchen, and this year we are lucky to still have plenty of dry cloves from last year's harvest as well as fresh stalks from holdover Rocambole garlic that Ms Marta's mother gave us last Spring.

I've never heard of this plant (perhaps because I live in France, where the inherited strictures of what is grown in the garden are more heavily dictated by custom than is the case in America), but I am going to try to find it somewhere!
The promise of those gorgeous, delicate flowers and a sweet fragrance as well as the delicious "bite" of garlic has set me on a quest to get this into my garden.

Thanks, Marie, for a wonderfully informative and unexpected article. I always think that the "best" info is that which arrives serendipitously, just when you really need it even without knowing that you needed it!

En quest!

Et merci!
Potagere
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6548437

I've read that Society Garlic does not taste good. At all. Although I grow it and I am quite fond of it as a plant, I've never eaten it because of what I've read.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6550495

I have both the regular and the variegated society garlic and love it mainly for the delicate blooms. While working in beds near it, it will exude a "skunky" odor. I enjoy nibbling blades of it and like the taste although DH doesn't like my breath and I thought it was supposed to be less offensive... lol I notice something else will nibble on it too, perhaps a dog or cat?

Thanks for the interesting article. pod

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6571127

I only grow it for its drought tolerance and it is a pretty plant with purple blooms all season. But I don't think it is meant to be eaten in the way we love garlic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Garlic of Polite Society Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for the info! nedweenie 2 May 23, 2009 8:57 PM
Society Garlic sehites 0 May 16, 2009 11:54 PM
Society Garlic... KGinCA 0 May 23, 2009 8:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America