Porcupine vs Orchard - Porcupine in the LEAD!! HELP!!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I was hoping someone out there has had experience fighting a porcupine and won!!! We have one that has begun to attack our fruit trees again. We have wrapped the trunks with tin (it chewed up the trunk of one of the 5 year old peach trees) and that darn thing must be big b/c it can still get in the trees. We have asked around and no one seems to have an answer - all they say is good luck and get a gun. Well, we have spent several nights out in the orchard and have not seen the darn thing. So, I am wondering if there is bait I can use for a live trap that will draw it in? I need to do something b/c I can not afford to lose the crop or the trees!! HELP!!!!

Any ideas - please!!

Thank you,
Dana

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I mostly see porcupine here in the morning or in the evening. You will sometimes see them up in a tree so scan the tops of the trees, because there is somewhere they are staying.

I have never trapped a porcupine. Seems our dog usually finds them and trees them. (sometimes even before getting his face full)

Our porkies here seem to stay in or near the swamp or other water source. They also like pines and will hide in those.

I hope maybe this helps.

Our dogs usually seek them out also, but after a huge vet bill - I keep them away. We have miniature dachshunds and our male (killer) went after a porcupine and apparently grabbed ahold of it b/c he had quills inside his mouth all the way down his throat. Not a pretty picture! We have noticed that they love cherry trees here. I was wondering how far these guys travel - their area. We have scanned up the trees, but we will keep looking. We will make a point of doing it in the morning and evening. Thank you for your info.

Dana ; )

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Your welcome. Our big choc lab, also has had them in his throat. It is not pretty. The worst was when he found a baby. The quills are very small and break off easily. He had hundreds in him.

The last time was bad too. He had so many in his mouth and throat that he would or could not walk. We were over a half mile back in the woods. DH ran to the house and got the pliers and we had to pull most of them before we could even get him to an area where we could get him in a truck to the vet. He had several completely under the skin. They can be a dangerous animal for sure.

Good luck.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We went for a walk in the woods last night around dusk. About half way through our walk, I heard a russling behind some brush. I calmly told DH to grab the dog. He took a few big steps and grabbed him and then asked why. There was a huge porky behind the brush pile running over the ridge.

That is the first one we have seen this year. We are lucky the dog is getting older and his hearing is not as good and was too far ahead to notice this guy.

How strange to write about porcupine and then see one the same day.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Hi,
Seems like a little late to the party for the conversation. Sorry.

I have about 8 different kinds of cherry trees. I had them stripped bare two years in a row. They looked like a skinny little 2x2 stripped bare. Amazingly nearly every tree lived but all the cherry bearing wood was eaten. After two years, I finally decided that enough was enough. First I tried the nice way. I bought a live trap hoping to catch him/her/them and relocate them far away from my house. No luck after repeated efforts. Called the human society, they said shoot em yourself we cannot be bothered. Called the police and they essentially said the same thing. They had no desire at all to deal with it. Other than they said to tell your neighbors so that they will not call us ( the police) up for gunfire in the middle of the night.

I got one with a shot gun and one with a 22. Both work well.

My neighbor does not believe in using guns so he ended up using garden hoe to dispatch his porcupines. It is quieter too. The first photo is one of my cherry trees before the porcupine and the next photo is after he struck.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

The next photo is my poor little cherry tree the morning after the porcupine decided to chow down on my trees.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick

I hear you!! We can tell when a new porcupine has moved in b/c the wild cherry trees are chewed on! Live traps did not work for us on porcupines either. They work great for coons and possums. We had to use another type of trap that I do not agree with, but they worked. It was that or no fruit trees! We had 8 they were attacking and boy is that expensive!! We got two so far. I wish you luck on your battle!!

Dana ; )

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I really did not want to use a trap that might damage my neighbors pets. We have a few of the neighbors dogs and cats coming through our property as a "patrol" of their staked territory. I do not mind at all so I would not want to injure the pets. So a direct one on one discussion with my friend Winchester was the best way.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

A secret way of controlling the critters - at least is works for me.

I was hoping to not have to shoot the porcupines every year as a new one would tend to move into the vacant niche. So I had to think of something.

I have two neighbors who let their dogs run free during the day and sometimes at night too. Well everytime I see them, I give them a dog biscuit. It was not long that they make regular rounds on my property and bark like crzy whenever any intruders, including porcupines, deer, bear etc come into their personal "space" that they now protect. So for the price of a big box of Costco dog biscuits, I have a patrol on duty.

Your situation may not fit. It works fine for me. Not one porcupine for the last two years.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Cool, and you don't have the vet bill when they catch one!

I am glad that works for you!! Our dogs always try to catch them - a lot of vet bills here. Our male dog Killer (keep in mind he is a mini dachshund) has been to the vet so many times getting spikes removed from him - everytime he sees anyone in a long lab coat he growls and will not go near them. Makes vet trips fun!! LOL Well the two we got, so far seem to be it right now, but I know more are on the move. One got hit by a car up on the highway - it was a huge one again - which is 1 mile from our place. So we are keeping a look at.

Dana ; )

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

It is possible that the dog urine when they mark their territory is what keeps the porcupines away. Not sure about that of course. But it is a nice theory. The neighbors/dogowners have never mentioned any actual run-ins for the dogs. maybe the dogs learned about porcupines at an early age and did not forget it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.