Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: understanding Plant Files

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 3, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6548169

I've wanted to ask this for a long time but I feel like a dummy, that I should be able to figure it out by myself! But I haven't yet, so please: when I'm looking up a plant, such as Iris, and I choose the specific type, and the list includes such info as:

Height:
24-36 in. (60-90 cm)
36-48 in. (90-120 cm)

Spacing:
12-15 in. (30-38 cm)
15-18 in. (38-45 cm)
18-24 in. (45-60 cm)

What does this mean? Wny doesn't it show height as 24-48 in., or spacing as 12-24 in.? I don't understand why there are two or three (or more) choices when you're trying to figure out what height and spacing (and zone info) you should go by. Please help me to interpret, I can't find the key elsewhere on DG. Thanks...

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6551381

You are not alone!

It would be nice if those posting information there could give the height a plant attains in their garden instead of the generalities you mentioned.

I find it even more difficult when it comes to colors.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6551559

1. Plants attain different heights depending on climate and soil conditions. The checklist on plantfiles gives heoights in increments, Often the heights possible for the plants will cover several of those increments. Example; I grow a big determinate tomato, which for me averages about 3 ft in height. There are several folks that grow the same tomato, but give it copious water and large amounts of nitrogen. They get 5 ft plants.

2. Spacing is also quite ambivalent. Since I grow on rainfall and modest fertilization, I use larger spacing. Those with irrigation and using large amounts of nitrogen use close spacings. I am not into flowers but, spacing there could be determined by whether you want a mass of color or specimen plants.

3. Colors are difficult to select from a list. and different people see them different. Some plants change colors depending on conditions or exhibit several colors.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6588151

Don't feel bad I have been a DG member for several years and still have problems using Plant Files. I usually just do a google search for the plant I want and quite often that will take me to a DG Plants Files site.
Example if I do a DG PF search for Ditch Lilies it doesn't take me there and it doesn't even ask if I want anything close. But if I google Ditch Lilies about the fifth link down is a DG PF link to Ditch Lilies. Go figure????

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America