A Couple of Tomatoes Growing Straw Bales

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

This one is Top Gun. Straw Bales are so easy and they are great for tomatoes and broccoli. I'm not yet sure if the eggplants like the bales or not.

Will definitely do more bales next time around for things like squash, Cole crops, cukes, and melons.

Jerry

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

This one is BHN-444 in a straw bale. Camera battery died, else there would be more straw bale mater pics.

For a few more mater shots go here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/988615/

Jerry

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Oriental, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow, those are beautiful, Jerry. When did you put them in and about how big where they?

Job well done.

Helen

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Those are real beauties Jerry! I cant wait until my better boys and Brandywines make! Right now I only have grape tomatoes, and they are coming along great!
You have really got a good bale garden going, Congratulations! E.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

They were about 10" tall if my memory serves me when they went in the bales on March 16th.

These are plants I seeded January 14th. They were dragged in and out of doors very often from the time they were about 10 days old. They were hardened off to full sun from the time they were about two weeks old. The late Winter Early Spring weather cooperated nicely.

I got an unusually early fruit set which may never happen again in my lifetime. It is not unusual here at my place for the first flush of blooms to not set fruit.. but this year they did.

Jerry

Wake Forest, NC

Jerry: excellent pics, my friend, of the tomatoes on this thread and your other link.

Keep up the good work.

As for egg plants, I'm doing them for the first time; they seem to be doing OK. I need to spray them tomorrow. Something's working on their leaves.

This message was edited May 14, 2009 10:53 PM

El Reno, OK

Awsome looking tomato's...i am a few weeks behind you here in Oklahoma....but getting nice flower sets...looking for a nice harvest of tomato's...

This message was edited May 14, 2009 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by billymonique
Wake Forest, NC

billy: I can hardly wait for those first tomatoes to turn! I'll be eating 'em for every meal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images